Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Welcome to Microsoft’s Accessibility Feedback forum. We are very interested in learning more about what products, features, and tools will delight our customers. Please share your ideas with us and remember to vote for ideas posted by others that you also think are great.

If you accidentally came here in need of technical support, please reach out to our Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team

I suggest you ...

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Add the ability to adjust Windows Magnifier zoom level with the scroll wheel.

When reading text on screen I am typically zoomed in 500%-700% magnification in full screen mode filling the screen with 3-5 lines of text at a time, this means any images, buttons, or other GUI elements are so enlarged that it is hard to understand what they are or how to interact with them. If I am reading a news article on a webpage and I see that there is an image, I will need to zoom out to understand what the image is. To do this I have to do the following.

1 Remove my right hand from the…

18 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello,

Thank you for the detailed description of the enhancement you are looking for. In reproducing this scenario, it merits the attention of our product engineering team. This may already be in the works as simular suggestions have been made, so it is possible that a solution may be soon implemented and released. Nonetheless, your comments will be forwarded. We’ll also let you know when further information pertaining to this becomes available.

Thank you for contacting us, and in the future, f there’s something additional we can provide with regards to accessibility, please feel free to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk Team.

• Add a Two Switch access mode for the On Screen Keyboard

Add a manual step scanning option for switch users, for those able to use two switches. E.g. Key1 = Manual step scan. Key2 = Select.

This would enable some users to use the slick On Screen Keyboard utility much more quickly and deliberately.

12 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello Barrie,

This is a pretty good suggestion which makes sense. We’ll forward this on to our product managers for further consideration and keep you up to date on any further developments around this.

Again, Thank you for reaching out to us; and if there’s anything else we can help with in the future, let us know as we’re willing to help.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team.

• 4 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Pete,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. the fn key should behave exactly like CTRL, Shift, or ALT. I’ll forward this to the appropriate development team for resolution to this. Once this is fixed, we’ll let you know.

Again, thank you for reaching out to us; and if in the future we can be of further assistance, don’t hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

• Enable users to resize the content and IM windows in Skype for Business.

I am frequently challenged to read things which are being presented. I'm always trying to zoom in before I remember that zoom doesn't exist in Skype.
          Maximizing the window or collapsing the message window doesn't help, since so much of the screen real estate is devoted to other elements. And I usually don't want to collapse the IM window altogether, just change the proportions so I can see everything.

3 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Molly,

I’m not sure exactly what you are referring to as it appears you are aking about resizing text in the IM window. This is easy to do.

1. First in the Skype session, click on the IM icon at the lower left of the screen.
            2. At the lower-right hand side of the window, click the icon that looks like “…”.
            3. From the menue that appears, select, “IM Text Size”.
            4. There you can select the percentage of size of text to display in the IM window.

With regard to the other isue, are your referring to zooming inon a shared screen or destop? If not, can you give us the exact scenario that is cuasting the difficulty?

Thank you for contacting us, andif there is anything further we can do for you, please feel free to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk…

• Fix File Explorer not remembering it's position when closed and then reopened.

Problem Description:

File Explorer does not remember it's position, when it is closed and re-opened. Instead, it cascades to the right (as if it is a second instance of FE, when it is not.)

This behaviour should only happen if multiple instances of file explorer are open, assuming it is related to the 'cascading windows' setting. This needs fixing as soon as possible. It is a rediculous "feature" the helps nobody and infuriates many.

This only affects Win10 (Win8 and before always closed and reopened file explorer in the correct position). This problem can be reproduced every time Win10 is…

14 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • I am blind and am the only person who uses the pc. Why can't we have an option to always start narrator when the recovery environment loads

There are no audible alerts to tell you when the recovery environment has loaded and got to the point where you can start narrator and as the default button that is selected is the one that reboots to windows it is easy when pressing the narrator hotkey to accidentally reboot back to windows as I am the only person who uses the pc why can't we have an option in ease of access to start narrator automatically when the recovery image is run.

4 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello,

THiank you for contacting us about this issue. We’ll forward this to the product manager to see if there is a work around for this problem and if not, if there is a remediation in the works for it. We’ll also keep you aprised of the progress regarding this.

Thank you again for contacting us, and if there is anything else that we can do, please feel free to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability ANswer Desk team.

• 3 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• bring back text/icon resizing

this screen, formerly located at: "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display" in the legacy Control Panel has been removed, and is also not represented in the Settings app menus (in the new Build 15019.rs_prerelease.170121-1513)

Image: https://www.windowscentral.com/sites/wpcentral.com/files/styles/larger_wm_brw/public/field/image/2015/08/windows-10-display-settings-scn-3.png?itok=P_IMrNWw

I NEED these options back. I am registered blind and always use Windows like this (larger text, turned bold for all elements - titlebars, message boxes, icons etc):

Image: http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img924/9568/SSXyGo.jpg

If this isn't fixed, I will be stuck on the old version of Win10 by disabling updates, which will eventually not be supported, meaning I will then be forced back onto Win8. Please stop changing,…

15 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Karl,

Thank you for alerting us with this issue. You’re correct inthat without the resizing or font change option, it can make it difficult to see the desktop icons. Therefor, I’ll forward this on to our product managers to get this issue raised and possibly resolved.

Again, thank you for reaching out to us about this.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability answer Desk team.

• 2 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us with your feature request. we are currently investigating on how to impliment this and will keep you up to date as far as the progress made.

Thank you for contacting us, and if there is anything further we can do, please feel free to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk tearm.

• Make high contrast theme window border colors customizable

When you enable high contrast themes the window border colors should be customizable. I don't want to be forever stuck with royal blue, cyan blue or dark purple window borders. Also, add a few more colors to the color picker.

3 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Liahna,

Thank you for contacting us about this suggestion. I believe this is a part of some of the contrast customization upgrades that are coming in a futre release. I’m checking with one of the product managers to confirm this and will get back to you with any updates.

Tahk you for contacting us, and in the future, if there is something else we can do for you, please reach out to us.

Sincerely,

• شكرا لكم

شكرا لكم

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Text selection commands don't work in Scan Mode

I have posted this to the Windows Insider Feedback Hub, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to post this here as well. When reading text in Scan Mode, it is impossible to use standard Windows text selection commands to select text. This would be very useful in all sorts of places. For example, I could select and copy the text from an error message or text from a website.

12 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Make Accessibility Checking As Ubiquitous As Spell Checking

Kudos for Moving your Accessibility Checker into the Review Ribbon it's a step forward.

How about having accessibility on by default like you have spelling and grammar checking.

Failing that can you make it available as an option to add to the Quck Access toolbar so that it is persistent. Out of sight is out of mind so I would suggest this small change to keep accessibility at the top of people's minds.

17 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello Neil,

Thank you very much for your suggestion. as you may know, we are working diligently to offer more accessibility functionality to our products.

What version of Word are you using? Is it Office 365, or 2016, or another version? Please let us know so we can forward your suggestions to the appropriate product team, so we may expedite your issue.

Thank you,

• create themes in word and PowerPoint that meet the accessibility guidelines for font size and color contrast.

Create Accessible themes, templates in MS word and PowerPoint. And then call the theme Accessible or Low Vision or something that lets people easily find it.

4 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Patricia,

Thank you for reaching out to us about your concern. Be advised that other customers have contacted us about issues related to this situation. Our engineering teams are actively looking into this and changes are in the works.

Having said that, we are always interested in how we can improve out products’ accessibility. Therefore if you have specifics on what you think needs improvement, such as the product being used, scenario in which the problem occurrs, or suggestion on improvements to the specific user interface elements, or specific features, please let us know.

Again, thank you for reaching out to us as we are here to assist in any way possible with accessibility needs.

Sincerely,

• Add a greater range of dwell times for the onscreen keyboard to increase speed

I type with a combination of a trackball and onscreen keyboard. However, I have to use a third party keyboard (which could go away at any time) because the dwell time on the Windows keyboard is excruciatingly slow even on the fastest (.5 s) setting. On the third party keyboard I can type almost instantly with a dwell time of 200 or 300 ms. Why not refine the range of dwell times?

6 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Amy,

Thank you for contacting us at the Disability Answer Desk. This is a very interesting issue. However to help you further, we need further information regaring the third party software yo are using, on what oporating system, and application or applications you may be using as well.

Than you for reaching out to us, and we’ll do whatever possible to resolve your situation.

Sincerely,

• PowerPoint Read Aloud

I am unable to find a way just to get the whole PowerPoint read to me. Thanks.

3 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Les,

Thank you for reaching out to us about your issue. In order to help you out effectively, can you provide us with the following:

What version of PowerpOint are you using? Is it a part of Office 2016, or Office 365 online?

What screen reader are you using in order to read the presentations?

Also, what are the steps to reproduce your problem in detail?

We look forward to assisiting you with your issue; and in the future, if there is anything else we can help you with, please feel free to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

TheMicrosoft Disability Asnwer Desk team.

• so i cant use this comkputer i have shares and loosing money because of this windows 10

cant do this know more jpoke 15 hrs a day for 6 months ive tryed t6o gtet this ******* windows 10 finished lost neally every cent 40000 dollars because ofv this

3 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Put the font size & font color control back into Outlook!

Not everyone has 20-20 vision. Some people need to make the letters bigger in email. Light grey color on white back ground is a nightmare! Also, if you want to make a big improvement.... give us the option to change this awful WHITE back ground into a softer color, so it isn't so ******* the eyes. This is just awful.

13 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the Disability Answer Desk. This is something that we are currently working on and investigating solutions to improve contrast themes in our software. Our Project Managers are aware of this and we will get back to you as soon as there are more details available.

Again, thank you for reaching out to us. And if in the future, you have further issues, questions, or comments, please let us know.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk Team.

• Side scroll bars need a resizing action for users with nerve damaged hands.

I have moderately damaged nerves in my right wrist that cause my 3 fingers on my hand to be drawn inward like a hook. On top of that, whenever I use that hand, I have micro spasms that give little jerking motions to my hand while trying to use a mouse which gives me limited control over the mouse pointer. Due to the spasming, smaller items are very difficult to use. Since the side scroll bars have been narrowed in your products, it is extremely difficult to use them with my condition. Adding a sizing function to allow widening the…

4 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Lester,

Thank you for your input on this. We will forward this to one of our product managers to see if we can facilitate a solution for you regarding scroll bar size. Once we have more information, we’ll get back to you with further information.

Thank you for reaching out to us and if in the future we can be of further assistance, don’t hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

• 4 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Feedback and Knowledge Base