Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Welcome to Microsoft’s Accessibility Feedback forum. We are very interested in learning more about what products, features, and tools will delight our customers. Please share your ideas with us and remember to vote for ideas posted by others that you also think are great.

If you accidentally came here in need of technical support, please reach out to our Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team

I suggest you ...

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add hotkeys in Skype 8 and newer Add hotkeys in Skype 8 and newer

Since Microsoft will prevent Skype 7 from accessing the Skype network after the 1st of September 2018, they need to enhance Skype 8's functionality to get at least some of Skype 7's functionality to it. One of those missing and crucial for the visually impaired users functions are the global hotkeys for answering and rejecting a call, and similar ones. |They should be restored to Skype 8 as they are in Skype 7. Otherwise, answering or rejecting a call for visually impaired keyboard users is practically a nightmare at the moment. Since Microsoft will prevent Skype 7 from accessing the…

10 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Skype  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Make Chinese IME Microsoft Pinyin accesssible to other screen readers

Only narrator can read candidate item of Chinese input method. Other screen reader cannot get candidate item of Microsoft Pinyin through ITfUIElementSink

7 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Allow Narrator to unmute the system sound device

Narrator should check the system output device when ever it is activated. If the sound device is muted, Narrator should automatically unmute it and set the volume to a value such as 50% so that it is audible. If the sound device is working properly, Narrator should do nothing and start normally. This would be a great help when trying to work with a system where the sound was muted. By pressing Control+Windows+Enter, the screen reader starts and the sound device is unmuted and set to a relatively high volume.

12 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Windows Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Enable Cortana and Narrator to work together without them both talking on top of one another.

Narrator and Cortana talk on top of each other when I use both at the same time.

6 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add Speech to Windows BIOS

The most inaccessible part of Windows is the BIOS. There is no way for a blind person to change the BIOS by them selves and it is almost impossible to have someone on your phone read the screen that is on the bios over the phone.
            This means that I need to have someone who is comfortable with working on the innards of the computer, who I trust, following directions from someone who has no idea what they should be looking for.
            This is the only time where Narrator has an advantage over other screen readers.
            Please allow some access…

8 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Automatically pause Narrator while Cortana is listening.

Unlike Siri and VoiceOver on Apple products, Cortana and Narrator are not integrated. Blind and low vision users expect the screen reader to pause whenever a personal assistant is listening for commands.

One third-party developer, Freedom Scientific attempts to remedy this by ducking the audio from it's screen reader (JAWS) whenever Cortana is invoked. However, this method isn't always effective at preventing Cortana from detecting feedback from JAWS.

Is it possible to provide such functionality in Narrator?

5 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Make the GitHub contribution chart accessible

With the recent acquisition of GitHub, I am hoping Microsoft can help to make parts of it more accessible. The contribution chart in particular is a mess. It is completely keyboard inaccessible, its hit areas are too small, it offers no cues for what is interactive, its contrast is poor, it is not exposed to screen readers in any way, and it is not even responsive.

As a coding experiment I outlined these issues and made a WCAG 2.1 AA compliant version and shared it with GitHub in the hopes they would use it:

http://adrianroselli.com/2018/02/github-contributions-chart.html

9 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Narrator and difficult situations

Narrator is becoming more powerful with every windows 10 release. With that being said, here are some things that would make it more valuable. 1. The ability to access advanced settings in windows, as well as bios configurations. There are times when I need to immage on to a USB drive, and I am unable to. 2. The ability for narrator to work with browsers outside Edge and the now outdated internet explorer. 3. Abaility for narrator to work with other applications o outside microsoft. 3. The abaility for narrator to work with complex web applications that offer chat functionality.4.…

5 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Seeing AI on Android

Seeing AI is a fantastic app! Please make it available on Android platform.

39 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Seeing AI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • An audible alert for Notification bar

With magnification (or even a screen reader), it is often impossible to know that the notification bar has popped up and is awaiting some response. A simple bing sound would alert users to press Alt-N to answer the question. Ideally, focus would automatically move to the notification bar.

9 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows Magnifier  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Narrator Create a video reading a word document, an excel spreadsheet, and internet explorer website. I find the narrator giving level blank

Narrator Create a video reading a word document, an excel spreadsheet, and internet explorer website. I find the narrator giving level blank,level blankity blank confusing for a sighted viewer who does not know html.
                        Narrator could certainly benefit from a gamified tutorial with the option of turning off the level this or that announcement. If all else fails have a tutorial on JAWS.

2 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Windows Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • not require users (disabled or otherwise) to have a cellphone number to set up a Microsoft account (as this could breach the Equality Act)

Through disability I do not use a cellphone (others do not due to lack of coverage) but found I couldn't set up a Microsoft Account without one and therefore couldn't activate my new copy of Microsoft Office.

It took and hour-long call to Microsoft's (very helpful) Accessibility Helpline just to to get my Microsoft Office activated.

Others might be tempted to use a friend's cellphone; thus leaving somebody else's number on file (a potential security risk).

Surely a company such as Microsoft cannot have missed the implications of requiring a cellphone (texts) in respect of those with disabilities and /or…

2 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Access - Office Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Enforcements are To harsh

An enforcement from the people on that team I feel are too harsh on the play. A recent suspension that I have recive is a week ban and it doesn’t even tell me what or how I did something wrong. I am Very good at multiple games. When I revive hate messages I take the lightly and do not respond. But what if that play reports me for being unsporting when they are the ones who sent the message. I feel that has happened to me and now I feel I am being punished for excepting in a game that…

2 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Xbox - Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • ADVISE WHEN Seeing AI app will be available on Android phones. Help near blind folks know if they must buy a new Apple iPhone? Or wait?

Aged near blind must have access to this terrific app. Must they buy an iPhone and scrap their Android device only to find out next day that Seeing AI is now available for Android devices. PLEASE - just let us know WHEN so that we can make intelligent decisions. Surely Microsoft can do better than "We're working on it". Thanks MUCH.

5 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Seeing AI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Make it easier to help customers

I have been locked out of my emails as I am overseas. I have done everything step by step as asked several times and still no avail. Have tried to call help line and nothing? I need my email account unlocked as I am travelling and it is vital to me overseas and for work purposes back home!

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Outlook - Office Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Sticky Note Problems

I used sticky notes on a daily basis on a different computer (the notes stayed on my desktop all the time with notes) and loved it
                                  On the computer I am currently on ( Windows 10) sticky notes 2.1.18.0 I can not change the fonts or make the fonts larger, It is absolutely horrible and I hate it. I can not read anything on it. Can you please fix this problem so that I can use sticky notes again? I need it for school.
                                  I need the font size larger and i need different font styles. A.S.A.P.
                                  The sticky notes…

3 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Microsoft Edge  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • 11 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Adjustable font size in Skype

Please let us freely adjust font size in conversation area of skype, and don't limit us at 24 pts, font sizes of 60+ points are very welcome

2 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Skype  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Add an option to Runas Administrator for windows installer package

In the latest stable builds there in Windows Defender Ransomware Protection introduced... But for the Protected Folders List, Windows Installer Throw an Error (Error Code 2503 and 2502) when Try to Install and Uninstall msi pkg...

1 vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • I’m trying to access my hotmail account. I have not been on this account for I’m not even sure how long. The password that I used for this ?

I’m trying to get into my Hotmail account but haven’t been very successful. 4 years ago I was in a horrific accident and now I suffer from memory issues. Anyways I used the same password to get into my laptop that I used for my Hotmail account and I really need help getting my account information. Can anybody please please please help me??

2 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 29 30
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base