Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Welcome to Microsoft’s Accessibility Feedback forum. We are very interested in learning more about what products, features, and tools will delight our customers. Please share your ideas with us and remember to vote for ideas posted by others that you also think are great.

If you accidentally came here in need of technical support, please reach out to our Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make sure that Narrator and other screen readers can work with Surface headphones 2

I just obtained the newly released Surface Headphones 2. I paired them to my laptop with Bluetooth. At first, I did not attach them to the laptop with the 3.5 MM cable. I have found that, when in bluetooth mode, the headphones cut off the screen reader speech at beginnings of the word. I'm assuming that the headphones are trying to save battery by doing this. However it is disconcerting to find that beginning of content is cut off. For example, if I were to give read title command to my screen reader while focused on I would hear something…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Windows Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Disable Screen Reader of Narrator

Using Windows 10 Narrator.

I really like the Narrator feature but I don't need the full function of the "Screen Reader" or Narrator feature.

What I want to use is just the "What you hear when typing", I am very new to using computers and I love the
    "Hear words as you type"
    "Hear letters, numbers, and punctuation as you type".

Visually I can what on screen but have to look down on keyboards when I type.

I would like to be able to disable the Narrator function of reading on Screen and announcement when I change Window.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Windows Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Fix Narrator!

My narrator often skips over the letter combinations of "fi" and "fl". For example, instead of saying confirm, it will say "conrm". This is really frustrating! Please fix!

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Narrator scan mode does not announce graphic descriptions

Narrator scan mode does not announce graphic descriptions

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. HOW TO TURN MY NARRATOR OFF, ALL YOUR SUGGESTIONS DOESN'T WORK!!!!!!!!

THIS IS EXTREMELY IRRITATING? HOW DO I TURN THIS FREAKING NARRATOR OFF?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Image for windows check boxes don't read correctly

There are hardly any programs that allow blind users to backup and restore their pc without sighted help. Terabyte unlimited image for windows can do this you can even create a bootable cd/usb with narrator on it so ifw and narrator automatically start after the system boots. The program is accessible but narrator doesn't read the options check-boxes correctly so you don't know if things like verify, scale to fit etc are set or not. Any chance ms could work with company to fix it?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. hi. a better verification for microsoft azure for students. totally blind and use a screen reader jaws for windows, nvda from nvacess. and a

better verification like e-mail or a code via e-mail on a form for verifying students for microsoft azure. better way to resolve issues like in hyper v, the boot loader and more clearer message and then how to fix.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Allow Narrator verbosity to be customized

Narrator verbosity options should be extremely customizable by the user. For example, allow users to specify how different controls are read. This could include things such as speaking the control type before the name, after it, not at all, etc. This would be very useful for speeding up efficiency. Here are just a few examples.

Narrator could speak the status of a checkbox before announcing the name and/or the fact it was a checkbox. This would make navigating groups of checkboxes really efficient because you would hear something like this. "checked Enable Narrator checkbox" or just "checked enable Narrator" if…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Unable to type anything in <input> of type=number with Narrator

I am using <input> element of type=number, so that user will enter only number in textbox. It works as expected but when I start Windows Narrator and Open Edge browser then I am unable to type anything in it.

Please refer this to repro : https://www.w3schools.com/code/tryit.asp?filename=GCS94YRVGH5D

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Hello - I'd love to see a version of the Microsoft Learning Tools availability chart that is accessible to a screenreader.

I love the Microsoft Learning Tools availability chart and would love to find a version of it that is accessible to a screen reader.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. When updating Windows 10, please make Narrator work with CyberLink PowerDVD Ultra.

In a future update for Windows 10, please add support for CyberLink PowerDVD to Narrator.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Narrator control for Sticky Keys users

It would be helpful if the combination of Narrator and Sticky Keys allowed the control of Narrator for users who can only press one key at a time. i.e.tapping Caps Lock then tapping R should perform the Narrator Read Window command.
    This can be worked around by locking the Narrator key, but it requires unlocking again if the user wants to type some text - and the lock/unlock command of Narrator+Z cannot be entered one key at a time, so needs to be re-mapped to something like CTRL+\ to be accessed using Sticky Keys.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. banner

Windows Narrator Cannot read the Windows Interactive Logon Banner. Please update Narrator to read the Logon Banner in all supported Windows OS's.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. API for developers to make Narrator speak some text

Hello,

I suggest adding a Narrator API allowing to make speak some text .
    GUI application developers would call this API to inform Narrator users of changes in their application.

For example in a chat application, incoming messages should be read as they arrive, even if the focus is currently outside of the chat window.
    Another example: during a lengthy task, users would like to be informed about the progression at regular interval, perhaps with something more clearer than just a simple percentage.

On the web, this is often called live region. There's no similar possibility in native GUI applications…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. java based applications accessibility improvement

Hi, at a moment narrator is not working with java applications, nvda and jaws screen readers does. Please enable the support of java access bridge , so narrator can work with applications that are developed in java.
    please up-vote this idea, because it is important you never know when you need screen reader software support for java applications.

In terms of features Microsoft should publish the release schedule and let us upvote the features we want. at a moment progress feels quite slow, improving quite a bit but it could be better. make a survey or something for data collection…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Aria-live text updates do not work in Narrator

Currently, when an aria live region has aria-relevant as "text", it will not read out any textual changes within the live region. You can test with this example:

<html>
    <head>

&lt;title&gt;Aria-live test&lt;/title&gt;

</head>
    <body>

&lt;button aria-controls=&quot;test-area&quot; onclick=&quot;testFunction()&quot;&gt;Click me&lt;/button&gt;

&lt;div id=&quot;test-area&quot; aria-live=&quot;polite&quot; aria-relevant=&quot;text&quot;&gt;&lt;/div&gt;
    &lt;script&gt;
    var toggle = false;

var testFunction = function(){
    document.getElementById(&quot;test-area&quot;).innerText = toggle ? &quot;Even newer text&quot; : &quot;New text&quot;;
    toggle = !toggle;
    }
    &lt;/script&gt;

</body>
    </html>

NVDA reads the changes in this example out fine but narrator does not.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Windows Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. add dark screen/ screen shade feature on Narrator

PLEASE add screen shade featur where the screen goes black and sited person can not see the screen it will save the battery life of laptop

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Enable my own voice to be added to narrator

It would be nice to not only have a PUNCTUATION DICTIONARY added to narrator, but also be able to ADD YOUR OWN VOICE to it too. Also, it would be nice if narrator didn't just say the capital letter in a DROP cap word, but said the entire word!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. narrator to read alt tags in e-mails.

narrator to read alt tags on images in outlook automatically.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)