Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Welcome to Microsoft’s Accessibility Feedback forum. We are very interested in learning more about what products, features, and tools will delight our customers. Please share your ideas with us and remember to vote for ideas posted by others that you also think are great.

If you accidentally came here in need of technical support, please reach out to our Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make sure that Narrator and other screen readers can work with Surface headphones 2

I just obtained the newly released Surface Headphones 2. I paired them to my laptop with Bluetooth. At first, I did not attach them to the laptop with the 3.5 MM cable. I have found that, when in bluetooth mode, the headphones cut off the screen reader speech at beginnings of the word. I'm assuming that the headphones are trying to save battery by doing this. However it is disconcerting to find that beginning of content is cut off. For example, if I were to give read title command to my screen reader while focused on I would hear something…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Windows Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Hello. I am a user of a screen reader living in Turkey. We want the Emel voice, which is used as a text-to-speech voice in Microsoft service

Hello. I am a user of a screen reader living in Turkey. We want the Emel voice, which is used as a text-to-speech voice in Microsoft services such as Microsoft Edge Chromium, Office 365, based on Azure, to be used in Windows screen readers. We find Emel voice more successful than Tolga Mobile voice. There is an excessive pause problem only in punctuation and at the end of the sentence. I think that is because it is server based. I think it will perform better if the Emel synthesizer is running on the device and integrated into Windows 10. Thank…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Windows Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Please add an OCR-function

It would be very helpful to have an OCR-function that can read out text from images or non-searchable PDFs. I'm a student and most teachers are not able to create searchable PDFs...

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Assign a shortcut key to specific input language

It would be great that a specific keyboard shortcut can be assigned to the Windows keyboard input language in the Language Settings.
    At the moment, as screen reader user, I can swich the keybord language by pressing alt+shift. As I speak many languages I have many keyboard languages installed, and, by pressing alt+shift, I have to cycle through the complete list of languages each time when I want to change the keyboard language.

Example:
    I am writing this text in English and, at the same time, I have a chat in French and Italian. As I have 7 more keyboard…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. make vs code python extension work with JAWS

make vs code work with jaws make vs code work with jaws or other screen reader,

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Image for windows check boxes don't read correctly

There are hardly any programs that allow blind users to backup and restore their pc without sighted help. Terabyte unlimited image for windows can do this you can even create a bootable cd/usb with narrator on it so ifw and narrator automatically start after the system boots. The program is accessible but narrator doesn't read the options check-boxes correctly so you don't know if things like verify, scale to fit etc are set or not. Any chance ms could work with company to fix it?

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Allow Narrator to be updated through the Windows Store

Currently, we have to wait for new major versions of Windows to ship in order to receive updated builds of Narrator. If possible, please allow the screen reader to be updated through the store. This would allow the Narrator team to push new features and fixes at a much faster pace. Of course, Narrator should continue to be bundled with Windows, it would just be nice to have a way to update it more frequently.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Disable Screen Reader of Narrator

Using Windows 10 Narrator.

I really like the Narrator feature but I don't need the full function of the "Screen Reader" or Narrator feature.

What I want to use is just the "What you hear when typing", I am very new to using computers and I love the
    "Hear words as you type"
    "Hear letters, numbers, and punctuation as you type".

Visually I can what on screen but have to look down on keyboards when I type.

I would like to be able to disable the Narrator function of reading on Screen and announcement when I change Window.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Support aria-rowcount and aria-rowindex

Currently, if I have a table like so:
    <table aria-rowcount=1>
    <tr role=presentation></tr>
    <tr aria-rowindex=1>...</tr>
    </table>
    Narrator will announce 2 rows instead of 1

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Screenreaders do not read search results when typing in the search box in win 2004.

Hi, screenreaders do not read search results when typing in the search box in windows 2004 and there seems to be no way or configuration to make them do so. Also, it is very difficult to stop screenreaders from reading day, week or year expanded in the downloads folder. This should now be the default in windows installation. Thanks.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Fix Narrator!

My narrator often skips over the letter combinations of "fi" and "fl". For example, instead of saying confirm, it will say "conrm". This is really frustrating! Please fix!

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Narrator scan mode does not announce graphic descriptions

Narrator scan mode does not announce graphic descriptions

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Please make a way for Narrator to be used to perform Windows bios updates and other currently inaccessible boot options.

Please make a way for Narrator to be used during bios updates, or during advanced system troubleshooting options that are not currently accessible.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Wrong pronunciation of an important German word

We found that the voice output for the German word "Studierendenkanzlei" (at a university: the Academic Registrar's Office) in MS Word (or other MS products) is hardly understandable. Where can we possibly submit suggestions for a better pronounciation?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. HOW TO TURN MY NARRATOR OFF, ALL YOUR SUGGESTIONS DOESN'T WORK!!!!!!!!

THIS IS EXTREMELY IRRITATING? HOW DO I TURN THIS FREAKING NARRATOR OFF?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Allow Narrator verbosity to be customized

Narrator verbosity options should be extremely customizable by the user. For example, allow users to specify how different controls are read. This could include things such as speaking the control type before the name, after it, not at all, etc. This would be very useful for speeding up efficiency. Here are just a few examples.

Narrator could speak the status of a checkbox before announcing the name and/or the fact it was a checkbox. This would make navigating groups of checkboxes really efficient because you would hear something like this. "checked Enable Narrator checkbox" or just "checked enable Narrator" if…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. hi. a better verification for microsoft azure for students. totally blind and use a screen reader jaws for windows, nvda from nvacess. and a

better verification like e-mail or a code via e-mail on a form for verifying students for microsoft azure. better way to resolve issues like in hyper v, the boot loader and more clearer message and then how to fix.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Improve narrator support for lists

When encountering lists with multiple columns, narrator either reads the first item in the column, or nothing at all. As an example, open the msinfo32 System Information utility from the run box or start menu and tab to the list view. Pressing down arrow causes Narrator to speak "OS Name 1 of 42 selected". If this same list is read with NVDA, it speaks all the information. In this case, it would say Windows 10 Home, Professional, Enterprise, etc. In order to receive the same information with Narrator, it is necessary to press Narrator and the right arrow to move…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Unable to type anything in <input> of type=number with Narrator

I am using <input> element of type=number, so that user will enter only number in textbox. It works as expected but when I start Windows Narrator and Open Edge browser then I am unable to type anything in it.

Please refer this to repro : https://www.w3schools.com/code/tryit.asp?filename=GCS94YRVGH5D

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Hello - I'd love to see a version of the Microsoft Learning Tools availability chart that is accessible to a screenreader.

I love the Microsoft Learning Tools availability chart and would love to find a version of it that is accessible to a screen reader.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base