Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Welcome to Microsoft’s Accessibility Feedback forum. We are very interested in learning more about what products, features, and tools will delight our customers. Please share your ideas with us and remember to vote for ideas posted by others that you also think are great.

If you accidentally came here in need of technical support, please reach out to our Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Windows 10 Global Font type change through Color and Appearance

In Windows 7, we had the option to adjust screen resolution, DPI (set custom text size) and color metrics to suit accessibility needs. I prefer to have the Tahoma font globally as this is very clear of all.

In Windows 10 I realise that the resolution changes and Custom Display Setting are mutually dependent and automatically changes. In Window colour metrics the option to change the colours, font type are missing. In Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display has some customizing options, the ability to update the font type has been removed.

Can we please bring this feature back asap?

STEPS in…

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Photosensitive epilepsy / flashing lights

I thought about this from a concert I went to on the weekend,

There could be more options for photosensitive and possibly other forms of epilepsy in Microsoft products, as TV shows and some video content may warn about flashing images but not all will.

I am curious if there is a way for flashing light warnings to be in accessibility checker or better yet in Windows itself with options for when flashing lights are detected or possibly a way to prevent flashing images from being displayed.

While I don't know too much about epilepsy, I believe these features could…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Build Braille support directly into Narrator.

Braille support should be built directly into Narrator. This would make it significantly easier for people to get up and running with Braille just by connecting a display to the computer via USB. This would also provide the ability to use Braille during the Windows installation process.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Windows 10 - File Explorer - Line height cropping at larger text size

I am raising this issue for a colleague. Please get in touch if you would like to get screenshots and discuss further.

· I am using Windows 10

• with 31 inch monitor. 

• The current display settings is set to 350% for accessibility reasons.
    • Under ease of access’, ‘make text bigger’ I set text size to ‘225%’.

Issues:

1. In File explorer, when I select the (preferred) view option to either ‘list’ or ‘details’, the text, whilst large enough, is bunched and cropped height wise, making it quite difficult to read and distinguish. Unfortunately, the other view options
    6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Hearing Aid Features on Win10 and Surface Pro

To include a ‘hearing aid’ feature option on Windows 10 and Surface Pro’s to seamlessly connect to hearing aids when using Microsoft Teams. This feature is already available on iPhones but makes conference & content sharing views difficult to see.

https://www.apple.com/uk/accessibility/iphone/hearing/

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Resolving issues over phone only after basic troubleshooting doesn't work is largely inaccessible for people who cannot talk on the phone

It's very frustrating as a person with a disability that prevents me from using the phone that resolving issues that are more complex than answered on the FAQs forums require scheduling a support call.

How is a person who cannot talk on the phone supposed to talk on the phone?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Needed feature: text masking/scrolling (for stroke/reading difficulties)

This would be helpful in Windows (all applications), or an App for iOS. I work with veterans who frequently have print disabilities due to stroke (hemianopsia or neglect). This makes reading in a crowded environment difficult. It would be helpful if there was a way to mask text so only one line appears at a time, with the option for text scrolling (like a TV ticker) to move text into their "reading view" without having to move their eyes. (This saccadic movement causes people to lose their place and not be able to retain what they have read).

In an…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Fix Toggle Keys so that the setting actually turns off

I turned on Toggle Keys once, about four years ago, to see if I liked it. I do not, but the setting persists. I have turned it off in both the newer system settings and the old control panel. I have tried registry edits. I have done everything to stop Toggle Keys from playing a tone, but every single time I turn on my computer or wake it from sleep, that setting is back on.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Prioritize Narrator over Cortana in the Windows Out of Box Experience.

After Windows is installed, the Cortana experience guides someone through setting up Windows for the first time. Unfortunately, Narrator is unable to speak while Cortana is speaking. It is necessary to wait for a pause in the Cortana dialogue to use Narrator. This behavior is absolutely unacceptable and should be changed ASAP! Narrator should always take priority over anything else because it is a vital accessibility service.

If Cortana is jabbering away, enabling Narrator or using any command should immediately silence it and let Narrator take over. Cortana is not an accessibility service, so I truly do not understand why…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. More virtual desktop keyboard shortcuts

I control my computer entirely by voice, which mostly involves mapping voice commands to keyboard shortcuts to control things. This works well provided the keyboard shortcuts exist.

Virtual desktops in Windows 10 are a great feature, but are missing some quite obvious and essential functionality. In particular there are no keyboard shortcuts for going to particular workspaces by number, or for moving windows between workspaces. For example the recommended way to move a window from workspace one to workspace five is to open the task view and then drag the window around. This seems like terrible UX even for normal…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Automatic arrangement of windows when moved to the edge of the screen

Option to disable automatic arrangement of windows separately for mouse control and keyboard control. I would like to be able to arrange windows by keyboard-shortcuts while I do not want the windows to be arranged when I move them by mouse (accidently) to the edges.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. I AM VERY ANGRY AND HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET HELP FOR 2 YEARS

I have an email account that I have been locked out of. So getting no help I did what it said and opened a new account. I now have 5 email accounts that I can't use to log in.
    I AM BLIND, I AM IN A WHEELCHAIR, MOBILITY AND FLEXIBILITY IS BEYOND HARD. I HAVE DIFFICULTY WITH MEMORY FROM A COMA I WAS PLACED IN TO SAVE MY LIFE.
    Sir/Madam my nurse is writing this for me. NO ONE WILL HELP. It goes around and around in a loop and this is the only place to put it.
    It happens…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Windows 10 Build 1809 - File Explorer Right-Click-Menu Problem

I've been everywhere. Feedback Hub, Reddit, Microsoft Accessibility/Support-based accounts on Twitter, Disabled Help Desk. Can we please give this problem some real-world attention by someone who can actually help?

As of Windows 10 Build 1809 - The registry fix of setting "ImmersiveContextMenu" to "0", located at "Computer\HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\FlightedFeatures", no longer has any effect in disabling the new 'immersive context menu'.

Windows shell has the new style, including desktop, file explorer and open dialog boxes in all applications. Why is this a problem? Why was I previously using a registry tweak to remove the new immersive context menu? Just look…

65 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Provide more option to dark mode

In dark mode you provide custom but it can only select 2 which effect the whole system. I hope your provide either by apps or system. For example, you create custom mode for default app or something. Why not you make the custom more choices such as in custom mode: fixe explre or chrome apps or other apps can choose light or dark. Truth to be told i'm very dissapointed with the update. Although i like dark theme, but i dont like the chrome & file explore change to dark. My eyes feel constrain & tired when i see them.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. simply can't afford a new computer at this time

My husband passed away on May 5th of this year...56 years young and after a brief battle with cancer he passed away. I am also 56 years old and am disabled and simply cannot buy a new computer. I am grief stricken on a daily basIs and life is difficult. Is there a program that could assist me in any manner to access a new computer? ..I hope that you can help me somehow given my situation,
    Warmest Regards,
    DPS

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Add markers to the text cursor

ZoomText is a very heavy resources application. I enjoy everything it offers, but I had enough of the lag and system crashes. Try adding a feature to add markers to the text cursor! It helps me figure out where my cursor is.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. People with visual disabilities need to be able to better identify each object in the Windows 10 interface

People who see badly have basically two problems: seeing objects on the screen poorly and distinguishing colors badly. Windows 10 only cares about the second aspect by facilitating the enhancement of contrast, but it does not make it easier for users to see interface elements well. All visible objects in Windows 10 are too "flat" and there are almost no visual differences when they are selected or receive focus. The interface elements have no volume and this forces people with visual disabilities to make a great visual effort to distinguish them.

Users who see little should be able to easily…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Starguard- juvinile macular degeneration p night blindness

Ihave Starguard, I am 86 years old. I have to magnify at least 20X just to navigate. But since I cannot tolerate bright lights and still see anything. I would appreciate if the icons could be removed in all cases or made just an outline. Then I could see to navigate the screen.. Surely it cannot be so difficult to have a switch to turn them off complete or make an outline.
    Ernest J. Hood

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Better customer support

This is hands down the WORST customer experience i have ever dealt with. First im put on hold for over 40 minutes and waiting for someone to call or answer my message. then after i get someone they want me to run this diagnostic tool which requires me to restart the computer. Even though i go to rejoin the session, i am put back in line and now have been waiting for 30 more minutes to speak with someone about my device not working. Overall 0/10 would recommend and returning the device tomorrow.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Accessibility for the Deaf and People with no Voice

Cortana should be teach artificial intelligence to assist our people.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 12 13
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base