Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Welcome to Microsoft’s Accessibility Feedback forum. We are very interested in learning more about what products, features, and tools will delight our customers. Please share your ideas with us and remember to vote for ideas posted by others that you also think are great.

If you accidentally came here in need of technical support, please reach out to our Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Windows 10 Global Font type change through Color and Appearance

In Windows 7, we had the option to adjust screen resolution, DPI (set custom text size) and color metrics to suit accessibility needs. I prefer to have the Tahoma font globally as this is very clear of all.

In Windows 10 I realise that the resolution changes and Custom Display Setting are mutually dependent and automatically changes. In Window colour metrics the option to change the colours, font type are missing. In Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display has some customizing options, the ability to update the font type has been removed.

Can we please bring this feature back asap?

STEPS in…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Photosensitive epilepsy / flashing lights

I thought about this from a concert I went to on the weekend,

There could be more options for photosensitive and possibly other forms of epilepsy in Microsoft products, as TV shows and some video content may warn about flashing images but not all will.

I am curious if there is a way for flashing light warnings to be in accessibility checker or better yet in Windows itself with options for when flashing lights are detected or possibly a way to prevent flashing images from being displayed.

While I don't know too much about epilepsy, I believe these features could…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Windows 10 - File Explorer - Line height cropping at larger text size

I am raising this issue for a colleague. Please get in touch if you would like to get screenshots and discuss further.

· I am using Windows 10
    • with 31 inch monitor.
    • The current display settings is set to 350% for accessibility reasons.
    • Under ease of access’, ‘make text bigger’ I set text size to ‘225%’.

Issues:
    1. In File explorer, when I select the (preferred) view option to either ‘list’ or ‘details’, the text, whilst large enough, is bunched and cropped height wise, making it quite difficult to read and distinguish. Unfortunately, the other view options…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Windows 10 Build 1809 - File Explorer Right-Click-Menu Problem

I've been everywhere. Feedback Hub, Reddit, Microsoft Accessibility/Support-based accounts on Twitter, Disabled Help Desk. Can we please give this problem some real-world attention by someone who can actually help?

As of Windows 10 Build 1809 - The registry fix of setting "ImmersiveContextMenu" to "0", located at "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\FlightedFeatures", no longer has any effect in disabling the new 'immersive context menu'.

Windows shell has the new style, including desktop, file explorer and open dialog boxes in all applications. Why is this a problem? Why was I previously using a registry tweak to remove the new immersive context menu? Just look at it!…

64 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Hearing Aid Features on Win10 and Surface Pro

To include a ‘hearing aid’ feature option on Windows 10 and Surface Pro’s to seamlessly connect to hearing aids when using Microsoft Teams. This feature is already available on iPhones but makes conference & content sharing views difficult to see.

https://www.apple.com/uk/accessibility/iphone/hearing/

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Hi it is fantastic that Microsoft are now taking access for all so seriously. These developments are life changing for many.

Many of your ideas related to one type of disabilty. However many people experience multiple disabilities and the products mentioned don’t seem to take this into consideration. Even this like for those experiencing heating impairments. You are using written captioning. Many people who are profoundly deaf struggle with the written word and would benefit from signing being incorporated into any technology they use. Also those who use their eyes to access technology, this is phenomenal but again many people will struggle with this because of stigmatisation etc or the pupils just not being picked up properly. What is the solution…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Exempt word prediction applications from application sandboxing

I have been using word prediction software for over two decades, have beta tested, and had an article published on it's appropriate use.

It was always taken for granted by myself and friends who also have CP never questioned it’s future. It always worked in ANY active application, something taken for granted.

Now, with the advent of the "sandboxing" of applications, use of word prediction is hit and miss. As I only have very limited use of speech recognition and a very slow keyboard rate, this is deeply concerning.

Microsoft, you know that WordQ 5 and Soothsayer are the big…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. People with visual disabilities need to be able to better identify each object in the Windows 10 interface

People who see badly have basically two problems: seeing objects on the screen poorly and distinguishing colors badly. Windows 10 only cares about the second aspect by facilitating the enhancement of contrast, but it does not make it easier for users to see interface elements well. All visible objects in Windows 10 are too "flat" and there are almost no visual differences when they are selected or receive focus. The interface elements have no volume and this forces people with visual disabilities to make a great visual effort to distinguish them.

Users who see little should be able to easily…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Purchase the JAWS and ZoomText divisions of Vispero and integrate them into Microsoft and Microsoft products.

Microsoft should consider purchasing the ZoomText and JAWS divisions of Vispero in order to integrate them into the Microsoft accessibility team. These divisions of Vispero already produce software that is exclusive to Windows, and this is the next logical step in making Windows accessible for everyone. This would add a lot of talented folks to the Narrator, Magnifier, and Disability Answer Desk teams.

There would be no more need for teams from Microsoft and Vispero to communicate back and forth on accessibility issues. Everything would be done in house, similar to how Apple implements accessibility on their devices and systems.…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Better customer support

This is hands down the WORST customer experience i have ever dealt with. First im put on hold for over 40 minutes and waiting for someone to call or answer my message. then after i get someone they want me to run this diagnostic tool which requires me to restart the computer. Even though i go to rejoin the session, i am put back in line and now have been waiting for 30 more minutes to speak with someone about my device not working. Overall 0/10 would recommend and returning the device tomorrow.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Improve accessibility on SharePoint News Digest tool

The news digest in SharePoint Online is a great tool, however the content that's generated is not very accessible from a code perspective. It relies heavily on Aria tags and the content essentially runs together without proper headers to break the content up. Please re-work the tool so the content that's developed for both the email and resulting web page are accessible/usable and inclusive for all users.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Offer a customisable scroll bar for use in all Window applications

After moving back to a PC / Windows after Apple ignored requests to reinstate the "traditional" scroll bar with a normal width, and up/down arrows, I was so happy to find that I can edit the Windows Registery to increase the width of the vertical and horizontal scroll bars.

Please Microsoft, add the ability to have both the up/down arrows to either and of the scroll bar, change the width, and change the colour of the scroll bar, and the arrows to the Control. Panel.

This would greatly improve accessibility to all applications.

Thank you!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Make it impossible for software developers the have thin, "no up/down arrows" Apple macOS inaccessible scroll bars in Windows software

I switched back to a Windows PC after 15 years of Mac ownership because Apple's post Mac OS X 10.6.6 scroll bars were reduced in width, and had their up/down arrows removed. This was a major accessibility / ease of use mistake. Over the years, the negative online comments have persisted.

To my dismay, Postbox Inc, whose e-mail client I have a lifetime license for have released Postbox 7 for Windows - with Mac style inaccessible scroll bars. Postbox Inc claim that people called for this change, and worryingly, refuse to acknowledge that it has accessibility implications.

Please Microsoft, make…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Improve the captcha system

The captcha system on your website is not disabled friendly. At present it is almost impossible to distinguish between individual letters. I Harvey spent 4-5 attempts filling out the form on sender.outlook.com . The same system is used elsewhere on the Microsoft website and is not at all user friendly for visually impaired. I suspect it may we’ll be in breach of the Uk equality act on website accessibility.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Make the word prediction offered by the onscreen keyboard available to hardware keyboard users

The word prediction offered by the onscreen keyboard is excellent, and as a Springboard PC-1 keyboard user, and being a word prediction user, I feel that this prediction should be available in a vertical numbered 1 to 9 list. It should have easy to edit vocabulary files, with the option of verbal output of selected words. This alerts the user to the selection of an incorrect word being selected by pressing 5 instead of 6 for example. It should work in any application.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 7 VS 10

I am disabled and on a fixed income. My 7 laptop was not compatible with the 10 upgrade. Now I will not have a computer for use after 7 end of life. I can't afford a new computer or smartphone and data plan. Microsoft should buy new computers for everyone who bought 7 since it is microsoft that is ending the product support. But I guess I will be saving money since I will no longer need internet to my home so I will be eating better.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Totally redesign Windows Sticky Keys

I can no longer use Windows Sticky Keys. (compared to macOS, it isn't clear what operator keys is active) and whether it is for one key press or permanent.

Please, please Microsoft, change this to a clear on screen / audible indication of what operator key is active, and for how long.

This is a very pressing problem!

Sarah

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Cortana Voice command to quick send critical text/ email/ instant message to select contacts, with an emergency screen flashing sequence

Cortana Voice command to quick send critical text/ email/voice instant message to select contacts, with an emergency screen flashing sequence saying SOS User XYZ is in distress, please reach or call now on +98094809248 and with options to engage Kaizala, Teams and other webcams and more in all signed in devices, also Emergency details like contacts,blood group, allergies , last location visible to everyone in emergency contact alert list, and also can be invoked by special key combination or Voice Command, Android has it so should Google, and yes the internet is still unreliable, and canNOT replace 911 or distress…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 11 12
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base