Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Welcome to Microsoft’s Accessibility Feedback forum. We are very interested in learning more about what products, features, and tools will delight our customers. Please share your ideas with us and remember to vote for ideas posted by others that you also think are great.

If you accidentally came here in need of technical support, please reach out to our Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Theme customization in Windows 10

\Windows 7 had a beautiful setup to customize themes. It allowed the setting of font types, font sizes, application background colors, menu colors, scroll bar colors.

Windows 10 has none of this. I am very near sighted, 20/150. The Windows 7 features were a god send.

Maybe some historical perspective would help...

In 1969, man landed on on the moon using technology far behind what is currently available.

Why is it more difficult, than landing on the moon, to put in good, robust theme customization tools?

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Please bring back set aside tabs

Hi,

Can you please bring back the set aside tabs function of edge. I have ADHD, Autsim and more only diagnosed in the past few years (I'm 42) which affect my working memory in particular, as well as general organisation and feeling overloaded.

Despite not knowing why I found things hard, I still managed to get through uni and become a teacher.

When I'm on a roll researching something, I'll flit from one page to another as I often research one part of a topic and read what multiple people say about the same thing. (When I was younger I…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Fix the Teams transcription tool

Please fix the transcription tool in Teams! It garbles sentences and inserts bizarre words into the transcripts of Teams meetings, making it useless as an accessibility aid.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. The "Email accessibility help" button to email the Enterprise Disability Answer Desk is not working.

I have a question that I wanted to send to the Enterprise Disability Answer Desk but on their web page (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/enterprise-answer-desk) the "Email accessibility help" button does not work.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. A better update interface.

The current windows 10 update interface is just basic. It'd be great if I could see what's the network speed in which the update is downloading, the time required to finish it, and more.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Offer the option of moving the 'Search' box back to its original position

Moving the search box to the title bar has proven disruptive to people on the autisitc spectrum, because people have got so used to its previous position over many years. Microsoft needs to offer the previous option of the search box residing in the tab area. It is extremely diffficult when Microsft makes changes to the display layout in its software but then doesn't allow one to revert back to a previous layout that people have been used to!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Display settings

The control panel settings page needs to be larger to begin with. I need to grocery shop on line, it was difficult to see what choices were available. If those of us visually impaired could read the existing font to adjust to larger, we wouldn't need to do this. It's common sense really.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Enable Windows Navigation by Numbers; Provide Voice Control of Windows Desktop & Apps by Enumerating all Visible Selectable Objects

Google provided Android users with full control of Android when Google implemented voice access back in 2016.

A video of what needs to be implemented for Windows can be seen at:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIDaz4Nm5lE
    (Completely hands-free control with Voice Access for Android)

As per the video demonstration, each time the user navigates to a new page, every selectable object on the page is assigned a unique number.
    To select an object all a user has to do is to say the number for the object they wish to select - simples!

With regard to Windows, when navigation by numbers is selected, every…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Accessibility Improvements MS Teams inTablet App for Educational Use

My children are both doing remote learning using MS Teams on school-provided iPads. There are three critical improvements that are needed to improve accessibility for young children (but they would also greatly help other users such as those with disabilities and some elderly users):
    1) The user needs to be able to "pin" the toolbar to the bottom of the screen so it stays visible or, better yet, set that as a preference in the Settings. It's difficult for a kindergartner to get that toolbar to come up quickly enough to answer a teacher's question.
    2) The meeting host (i.e.,…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Reading functionalities have been disabled because no compatible voice was found

Microsoft Magnifier "Reading functionalities have been disabled because no compatible voice was found"
    How to fix this?

Tried launching Narrator and it is working. I can choose different Narrator voices. It's the Magnifier Reader that is greyed out.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Need Help

I called the disability number. Reached probably the Philippines. I just had question about how to get the markup off of a word document permanently. This person did not know how to do that. They said they would put me through to their supervisor. I was just left on hold for a very very long time. Maybe if English was the primary language it would work better.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Choosing no. of video screens

Whilst the introduction of a 3x3 video screen grid in Microsoft Teams has been welcomed by many, I have some colleagues that have sight loss who now feel the video screens are too small. Could there be a setting which enables staff to individually select how many video windows show up on their screen during a Teams meeting?

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Windows 10 Global Font type change through Color and Appearance

In Windows 7, we had the option to adjust screen resolution, DPI (set custom text size) and color metrics to suit accessibility needs. I prefer to have the Tahoma font globally as this is very clear of all.

In Windows 10 I realise that the resolution changes and Custom Display Setting are mutually dependent and automatically changes. In Window colour metrics the option to change the colours, font type are missing. In Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display has some customizing options, the ability to update the font type has been removed.

Can we please bring this feature back asap?

STEPS in…

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Touch Keyboard

It would be wonderful to have an option to permanently display/dock the touch keyboard and have all other windows rescaled to fit remaining portion of the screen. It would be great to have this not only in tablet mode.

Sometimes you really want to type without an external keyboard but the touch keyboard keeps disappearing as you switch between windows or tabs, etc. Sometimes the keyboard also draws over other windows. Sometimes you just need the keyboard permanently open, not only having it pop up automatically (which doesn't always work).

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. make windows speech recognition truly hands free!

Windows speech recognition is surely designed for those who can't use their hands? The problem is that there are so many apps that cortana will not use the initial start listening speech recognition for, and the dictation side constantly crashes so that you are forced to use your hands To complete your tasks. Please make cortana more user friendly, give disabled people who cannot use the keyboard better accessibility choices! Cortana needs to be able to be used 100% of the time!

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. List of all accessibility features

Please update the Sway at https://sway.office.com/vAdiAMXOJEQGVbqX?ref=Link&loc=play (or use a web page) to list all accessibility features for Microsoft 365 and its applications. Thanks!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Need adjustment control

I called Disabilities Answer Desk Team tonight wanting to adjust brightness, contrast and font appearance on my Windows 19 computer. Only to learn that none of these issues can be adjusted. I just bought this computer and it is worthless to me. Why can't Microsoft develop programs that users like me can have access to. Thanks for wasting my money. Money I cannot afford to throw away even if Mocrosoft thinks we have money to burn. Wish I had gone with Apple instead. I apologize for any typos or erros. I cannot see what I am typing, ny screen is…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. make the dictation tool more accessible

When i use the dictation tool, there is no way I can switch it off and on using my voice. I can activate it, but once the bar is up there its not very user friendly. new paragraph

for example, I cannot correct my work or use any useful commands as you can see above.

Please could you make this tool as diverse as windows speech recognition? Wsr cannot be used in every situation and on every site. I'm having to use the dictation tool to do this, and it's very hard work! There needs to be more work on…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base