Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Welcome to Microsoft’s Accessibility Feedback forum. We are very interested in learning more about what products, features, and tools will delight our customers. Please share your ideas with us and remember to vote for ideas posted by others that you also think are great.

If you accidentally came here in need of technical support, please reach out to our Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Build Braille support directly into Narrator.

Braille support should be built directly into Narrator. This would make it significantly easier for people to get up and running with Braille just by connecting a display to the computer via USB. This would also provide the ability to use Braille during the Windows installation process.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make it impossible for software developers the have thin, "no up/down arrows" Apple macOS inaccessible scroll bars in Windows software

I switched back to a Windows PC after 15 years of Mac ownership because Apple's post Mac OS X 10.6.6 scroll bars were reduced in width, and had their up/down arrows removed. This was a major accessibility / ease of use mistake. Over the years, the negative online comments have persisted.

To my dismay, Postbox Inc, whose e-mail client I have a lifetime license for have released Postbox 7 for Windows - with Mac style inaccessible scroll bars. Postbox Inc claim that people called for this change, and worryingly, refuse to acknowledge that it has accessibility implications.

Please Microsoft, make…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. People with visual disabilities need to be able to better identify each object in the Windows 10 interface

People who see badly have basically two problems: seeing objects on the screen poorly and distinguishing colors badly. Windows 10 only cares about the second aspect by facilitating the enhancement of contrast, but it does not make it easier for users to see interface elements well. All visible objects in Windows 10 are too "flat" and there are almost no visual differences when they are selected or receive focus. The interface elements have no volume and this forces people with visual disabilities to make a great visual effort to distinguish them.

Users who see little should be able to easily…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Improve the captcha system

The captcha system on your website is not disabled friendly. At present it is almost impossible to distinguish between individual letters. I Harvey spent 4-5 attempts filling out the form on sender.outlook.com . The same system is used elsewhere on the Microsoft website and is not at all user friendly for visually impaired. I suspect it may we’ll be in breach of the Uk equality act on website accessibility.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. In Settings/Apps/Default apps, tab is the only way to keyboard navigate.

Reference case no. 1475872885.
    I am a power user of JAWS and an intermediate level user of NVDA and Narrator. I am trying to change some of my default programs by file type. I go to Settings/Apps/Default Apps and select "choose default apps by file type."

It appears that the only way I can navigate the resulting list is with the tab key. The arrows, PGUP and PGDN don't work and the file type I really need to change is .zip because it got associated with a music player by mistake.

I confirmed this with the disability answer desk who…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. On-screen keyboard visibility

There should be a way to adjust the visibility features of the on-screen keyboard. For individuals with visual impairments it is very difficult to use. The letters are tiny compared to the key size. There is a lot of real-estate that could be utilized. The colors are also not ideal. The white and light gray on a dark gray background is sleek, but not accessible in the slightest.

I am happy to see Microsoft adding these accessibility features, but there are still a lot of improvements that can be made!

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Thank you, and please consider accessibility for persons with intellectual disabilities.

As the parent of a child with a disability, I was thrilled to see the Super Bowl commercial (“when everyone plays, we all win”).

I am quite active in advocacy, and applaud anything that promotes greater understanding and inclusion.
    However, I offer one comment. I believe that all of the persons in your commercial had physical disabilities.
    However, there are many people with “hidden disabilities”, whose challenges are not immediately apparent.
    For example, my son has Asperger’s Syndrome, and does very well in school. Like Owen, and many others with autism, he is also a video game fiend.

While certainly…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Include a drag-and-drop setting in eye control

The windows eye control software is amazing, I'm currently using it with a Tobii tracker and it's made computer use much easier. However, one important feature that's lacking is drag-and-drop functionality. This would allow it to replace even more functions of a mouse

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Application/Window specific High Contrast

As an end-user, I would like to be able to enable/disable High Contrast mode at an application or window level.

There are some applications that I don't want High Contrast enabled for and others that I do. There are times when inverted color is better than high contrast but for a specific app only.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. An option to change cursor at the Paint 3D software, very much needed for vision impairment

The cursor at the Paint and Paint 3D is very hard to recognize for people with vision impairment We need an option to use an adapted cursor which the user uses with other programs, like Philip's Large Coloured Cursors. http://www.philip-henderson.co.uk/cursor.shtml

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. As a 65 yr old I struggle with understanding what I read. Please make it easier for seniors

Difficulty understanding when reading. Nothing makes sense. Please make reading not a priority for everyone. Some can’t do what other’s can. I appreciate calls. I do not like or appreciate virtual help, I have never accomplished anything with it. I have wasted a lot of time with it. My suggestion is to get rid or improve it a lot.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Online office apps outlook and SharePoint. Allow me to change the color of the font to one that works for me

Online apps, particularly outlook and SharePoint. within any theme, allow me to pick a font color that works for me.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Reconsider cutting of so many people by not making it possible to use older versions of Skype.

People with older computers cannot update to newer versions of browsers and cannot therefore update to newer versions of Skype - they are left out! not able to use what they relied on for so long sometimes as their only means of communications. In combination with the constant signing in (on the same computer!), the many "security" requirements, make it more and more impossible to use Skype. And I pay for the service! Even here below!! I want to make a suggestion or comment, but have to give you all my info and agree to everything!?

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Change how the GroupMe Calendar functions

It would be better if events could be created in the GroupMe calendar without it posting immediately. For example; I’m the Volleyball team mom. I would like to be able to go into the calendar and put all events in at once and have it automatically post on the day of the event. Also, give an option to remove the ‘going? Yes. No’.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Faster mouse keys

Hi,

The current top speed of mouse keys is not fast enough. Would it be possible to make the top speed parameter be even higher?
    (without the use of ctrl)

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Change system fonts for dyslexic assessability. Include system font(s) such as open dyslexic for folks.

Tool in settings to change system fonts such as open dyslexic for explorer and edge.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. I suggest that, if possible, you should find a way to identify disabled people, and offer windows 10 free, but without having it public.

I suggest that, if possible, you should find a way to identify disabled people, and offer windows 10 free, but without having it public. I think that it should work with a link sent through mail, or a key, if you don't want healthy people to use the free option.
    There are people like me, who were under a rock or so, and found out only recently that windows 10 was released. Sadly, not all countries give disabled people enough money to get windows licences. That's why I ask, if possible, for those people to get help. Right now i'm…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Go back to having an email contacts. Sometimes it is just a lot easier to email, especially if I want to attach a screen print.

Why not go back to being able to contact you by EMAIL?? Sometimes we like to attach something to explain the problem better.
    I'm afraid you've lost the idea of "Ease of Access" or at least for help.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. an opt-in feature for more visible ctrls w/ Edge [ when large screen display ]

an opt-in feature for more visible ctrls w/ Edge [ when large screen display is used ]

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base