Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Welcome to Microsoft’s Accessibility Feedback forum. We are very interested in learning more about what products, features, and tools will delight our customers. Please share your ideas with us and remember to vote for ideas posted by others that you also think are great.

If you accidentally came here in need of technical support, please reach out to our Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Fix Word Accessibility Checker Heading Level Bug

When a document is missing a top level heading (Heading 1) yet contains other heading levels, the accessibility checker does not detect skipped heading levels. It will only properly detect skipped heading levels when a top level heading is present somewhere in the document.

To reproduce the issue:
    1. Create a test document and add test content.
    2. Insert a Heading 3 near the top of the document.
    3. Insert a Heading 2 near the bottom of the document.
    4. Use the Accessibility Checker: File | Info | Check for Issues | Check Accessibility
    5. The Accessibility Checker will wrongly…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Word - Office Accessiblity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Individual audio controls

Through medical complications when young, and later through an injury sustained while enlisted in the USNavy, I have lost most of the hearing in my left ear. I still like to game, to do things that require headphones. In order for me to play anything competitive, I need to keep the volume so high for my left ear that I'm blowing out my right.

I know there are plenty of capable people in a similar position to myself, and the development of an ear-specific volume control within the volume settings on the XBox or other devices would allow functionality and…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Microsoft is a Complete waste of Time, Over 3 hours online with NO Results

i have tried to contact microsoft and yet I have been unable to contact anyone.So now I am leaving Microsoft for good...This means after 10 years plus on here I will be forced to leave for good..my email address i cannot access since i have lost the Password.. I am a Physically Disabled male and yet NO email you sent me worked...I suffer with a short term memory Loss that effects me every day.The email below is my New Email address...So if some bright spark reads this maybe he may learn something...NO Access for me on your Disability disabled Site...

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Access - Office Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. I'm saying for everyone but those of us with disabilities can we bring back email!

Most the time because my disability I go to Chat and then ask for them to email so I can sit and think the best way to say what is wrong with my account. Like now it's late here and I know your short handed and I wanted to ask anyone about an sign-in problem but I don't want to wait someone on chat or call and that's if someone there. I think I know why like most companies the ability to send in emails without you first sending one was removed but I hate waiting for someone to answer…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Access - Office Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Identify visual impaired recipients in Outlook

When writing emails at work it would be great to know if the recipient is visual impaired. Coming from a large organization you do not always know who your audience is when writing emails. This would of course be the choice of the employee. If the employee wanted others to know they are visual impaired...it would be great if Outlook can have an icon or some type of alert letting the writer know the recipient is visual impaired within Outlook.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Outlook - Office Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Scrolling underline or windox box please

as I age reading is getting to be a bit of a challenge since I do read rather dense materials. All Im looking for at this point is either a line that I move with my mouse as I read or a window box that does the same. thx

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Putting the " open"option back in Outlook 2019 when right click function is used to select an email

My wife has trouble double clicking her mouse to open a selected email in Outlook. We found if you right the selected email an option to "open" was available at the top of the options. That function has gone away in Outlook2019 ! Is there some way to restore that option? Perhaps in the next office update?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Outlook - Office Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. MS Teams and captionning

Issue: captionning area. The captions are limited to two lines and there is no scroll bar to go up. In many meetings, there is a lot of discussion and then I think I saw a question for me. However, I only saw half the question and couldn’t scroll up to confirm if they were talking to me. With the long pause, I assumed but it was awkward. It could have be simpler with the ability to scroll up. When I use my phone for captions I can see 9 lines and I can scroll up and down.

Issue: captions on…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Teams  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Create a version of windows 10 with windows xp type gui

Some people preferred the older features and interface of windows xp that allowed for more customization, and control of windows. It would be nice if windows 10 had some kind of legacy mode, in which it would look more like the old windows and less like a fisher price product. Something as simple as an option that would disable useless stuff like cortana and give easier access to features like commands, event scheduling and more customization of the local OS. Another big thing would be having an option to disable all of the annoying online features like linking and one…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. adaptive controller with big stick

Sony had the idea to create an analog joystick for the PlayStation. I have a disability, I cannot fully use the gamepad, fine motor skills do not work well. Now I'm working on a homemade joystick, making a model for 3D printing.
    Many details are not yet ready, such as the joystick mechanism. At first I wanted to use off-the-shelf joysticks like the Logitech extreme 3d pro, but they required a lot of rework.
    I also don’t know how the electronics of the xbox controller will accept the e49 hall sensors instead of the analog sticks.
    here's what should happen. …

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Reading functionalities have been disabled because no compatible voice was found

Microsoft Magnifier "Reading functionalities have been disabled because no compatible voice was found"
    How to fix this?

Tried launching Narrator and it is working. I can choose different Narrator voices. It's the Magnifier Reader that is greyed out.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. PERSONALIZED SPEECH RECOGNITION

I am training personalized models in Microsoft Azure Speech To Text for different people with dysarthria. We would like to see how well a commercial system can be adapted to these kind of voices. The idea is to train a model with a dataset of different commands recorded by people with dysarthria so that they can later use it in their laptops.

I would like to know whether it would be possible to integrate these personalized models in the operating system somehow.

It would be great to integrate them in programs such as Word, Power Point or LibreOffice.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Access - Office Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Inaccessible beauty

Bing wallpaper produces such exquisite photos of places of faraway beauty, places evocative of serenity in nature. Science tells us that nature heals. People with disabilities, who most need to heal, from physical and mental pain, are left out from ever being able to access these areas. In return for the money made by the covid (health) crisis generating extra online activity, Microsoft could regain its lustre by developing tours geared for providing access to these areas. Only creativity and intent are required.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Availability of the Accessibility Checker on Android, iOS, and the Windows 10 app

The Accessibility Checker, available on Windows and Mac versions, allows the user to check the accessibility of their documents for people with visual disabilities and those who use assistive technologies such as screen readers. This feature, however, is not available on other versions of Microsoft Word. It would greatly improve the overall accessibility of Word if the Accessibility Checker were made available on all versions of the product. As Microsoft's mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more, certainly such a change is directly in line with the company's goals.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Word - Office Accessiblity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. BUG - Read Aloud breaks CTRL+Left/right arrow to move by word

When Read Aloud is enabled, we cannot use CTRL+right or left arrow to move the cursor by word. If Read Aloud is reading at the time, CTRL+Right arrow goes to the next paragraph, which is the same thing that CTRL+up/down arrow usually does, although this does not move by paragraph while reading (does when reading is paused). CTRL+Right/left arrow does not move by word even when Read Aloud is enabled but paused. If you still have a Read Aloud enabled in one Word document, none of your other open Word documents can use CTRL+Left/right arrow to move by word until…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. We want a new version of xbox controllers

We want xbox to make same news xbox controllers without changing the all controllers only move the left dual shocks alignment from up position to down position and direction buttons move them from down position to up position. Like that of playstation. But don't stop making the old controllers. As old xbox controllers are not suitable for everyone and only good for EA sports fifa.So that whoever want old xbox controller version gets them and whoever wants new xbox controller versions gets them.And please make the new xbox controller version work on every xbox console and pc. Please don't stop…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Outlook - Office Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Xbox One - Accessibility - Audio balancing for left-right

The Xbox One already provides a lot of features in terms of accessibility.

One feature that is missing in my opinion is the option to manually balance the audio for left-right. Many Microsoft devices (e.g. phones, workstations) already offer the opportunity to balance it yourself.

The reason i'm asking is that my own hearing is slightly impaired (25-30%) on one side (right) rendering headphones practically useless for many games. In my idea this is a relative simple feature to add to the accessibility options, making the Xbox One system more and more accessible to all members in the public, including…

93 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Stop the pop ups on log on

Stop popping up the accessibility window whenever I log on. There is no "don't show me this again" button. It is most annoying and intrusive.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base