Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Welcome to Microsoft’s Accessibility Feedback forum. We are very interested in learning more about what products, features, and tools will delight our customers. Please share your ideas with us and remember to vote for ideas posted by others that you also think are great.

If you accidentally came here in need of technical support, please reach out to our Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team

I suggest you ...

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Improve contrast/color schemes for Microsoft Office 2010 and newer

The ribbon menus need another option that provides more contrast and easier to see icons for Low-Vision users. The current shades of gray, and small size are very frustrating for our low-vision students. We really miss the Office 2003 menu styles and color schemes which provided greater contrast.

25 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Cheryl,

Thank you for contacting us at the disability Answer Desk with this concern. We are currently tacking this concern as it’s been brought up concerning some of our other products. In the meantime, we are following up with our Product Managers to get an ETA of when a solution will be implemented. When we receive more information, we will post it here first.

Thank you again for reaching out to us for your accessibility related concerns.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer desk Team.

• Make F12 tools in Internet Explorer 11 or Edge accessible for screen readers again

Please make the F12 tools in Internet Explorer (or an equivalent tool in Edge) accessible for screen readers, namely JAWS, again. These tools were accessible in IE version 9, but now it is impossible to effectively debug Javascript which is really a huge pain for us, blind Web developers. Thank you!

20 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Change initial keyboard focus on page load in IE11

When loading any web page that does not have explicit initial focus, IE 11 starts the keyboard focus out of the webpage. This means that when a user presses TAB key for the first time, the focus goes to the address bar instead of the first item on the webpage. This means that a user not using a mouse (keyboard only) must tab through the address bar, top tab, Home button, and any toolbars before getting to the page content. Many users with disabilities cannot use a mouse for various reasons. Thus a keyboard-only user must TAB through Five or…

18 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello Joseph,

Thanks for the detailed report along with the steps to reproduce the problem.

However, I have navigated to http://www.microsoft.com and cannot reproduce the issue you are reporting.

When I land on that page, then press tab for the first time, I am taken to the Skip to main content link and not to the address bar.

I am running Windows 10 Version 1607 OS Build 14393.321. I also use the JAWS screen reader.

• Add Drag-And-Drop to mouse support.

Screen readers such as Window-Eyes have the ability to support Drag-And-Drop as Narrator continues to mature, will you also add this feature?

17 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for contacting us at the Microsoft Disability Answer Desk.

This is an excellent suggestion that you’ve brought up. We’ll forward your suggestion on to the appropriate product team for review and possible future implementation.

Again, thank yo for your suggestion.

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk

• Add MathML support to Edge roadmap https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2016/02/03/2016-platform-priorities/

Educational companies and open-source learning organisations currently relying on MathJax and MathPlayer to get around lack of support for the MathML standard. Especially digital education in parts of the world where we really need to keep excessive bandwidth use and scripting demands low due to common devices and poor network connections, having Edge support MathML natively would just be awesome.

16 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• enable narrator to work with echoing text that has been dictated

Make narrator echo back dictated text using Windows speech Recognition so that blind people who have limited use of their hands can take advantage of both features.

14 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Make sure developers of different MS products are on the same accessibility page.

Accessibility Checker and Captioning plug-in for PowerPoint? Good job. Thumbs up.

Inability to convert a captioned PowerPoint to an accessible Office Mix? Inexcusable.

MAKE IT EASY FOR END USERS TO CREATE ACCESSIBLE CONTENT.

14 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Make it possible to generate a PDF/UA conforming PDF document from Office

New regulations from the US Access Board will likely require PDF/UA conformance for PDF documents.

Microsoft can extend its existing investment in generating tagged PDF, and lead the marketplace in accessible document creation, by providing functionality to general PDF/UA conforming documents directly from MS Office applications.

14 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Narrator should automatically switch to screen mode and editable mode as appropriate. editable/input is encountered, Narrator switches

Narrator should automatically switch to screen mode and editable mode as appropriate. editable/input is encountered, Narrator switches

13 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Hari Dhoundiyal ,

Thank you for contacting the Disability Answer Desk about your concern with Narrator. Can you give us some more detail as to when it does not alternate in between screen and editing mode? This would help us improve the software to make it user friendly.

Thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk.

• Please allow scrreen readers to fully read Windows Runtime applications like the Cortana search box

Apparently Microsoft just made a security decision to block any application, even a trusted screen reader, from injecting its code into any WinRT application.
                      This includes Windows core components like the start menu, settings app and Microsoft Edge. This also means windows store apps as well.

This greatly reduces accessibility in all these essential apps and in particular edit boxes. We are pretty much writing silently and there is no sound for when we misspelled something or when a suggestion comes up.
                      Microsoft is moving more and more to having all their apps and components be packaged like this, so…

12 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Make Accessibility Checking As Ubiquitous As Spell Checking

Kudos for Moving your Accessibility Checker into the Review Ribbon it's a step forward.

How about having accessibility on by default like you have spelling and grammar checking.

Failing that can you make it available as an option to add to the Quck Access toolbar so that it is persistent. Out of sight is out of mind so I would suggest this small change to keep accessibility at the top of people's minds.

12 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello Neil,

Thank you very much for your suggestion. as you may know, we are working diligently to offer more accessibility functionality to our products.

What version of Word are you using? Is it Office 365, or 2016, or another version? Please let us know so we can forward your suggestions to the appropriate product team, so we may expedite your issue.

Thank you,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team.

• SP.UI.ModalDialog.showModalDialog and Accessibility issues

SP.UI.ModalDialog.showModalDialog and Accessibility issues

I got an opportunity to work on a SharePoint project recently. As part of this project, we had to fix accessibility issues on a SharePoint site. Here is the list of issues I found which can be made accessible out of the box. Let me know in case of any questions.

1. Modal content gets rendered in an iframe but without title. iframe should have a title as per Accessibility Guidelines. If you don't, screen reader starts reading the source URL. I suggest you to provide the page name as title at least .

2. It…

12 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Make the Narrator keyboard commands mimic two of the most popular screen readers JAWS or NVDA. This would make it easier to switch between t

Make the Narrator keyboard commands mimic two of the most popular screen readers JAWS or NVDA. This would make it easier to switch between the different screen readers. Narrator is starting to show some potential but as it becomes more useful it may be too difficult to use if the commands are to difficult to remember.

11 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• make narrator automatically switch voice based on the language of the text

it would be very useful if the new mobile core voices can be language aware, so that an English voice would speak English text, the Arabic one would only read Arabic text, etc.

11 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Make an automatic scan mode in narator

While scan mode in Narator is a brilliant feature, it currently has one limitation that I can see. This is that some users may not know what it works for and where. It would be a really good idea to make scan mode automatically engage on webpages, etc. This would prevent confusion as to where it works. Of course, it would still be possible to turn scan mode off and on again, but this feature may really help some users.

11 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Focusable elements should fire focus event / receive :focus styling when they receive Narrator/accessibility focus

This issue relates to a current inconsistency among different AT, particularly evident on touchscreen devices. See https://patrickhlauke.github.io/touch/tests/results/#mobile-tablet-touchscreen-assistive-technology-events / https://twitter.com/patrick_h_lauke/status/788496138966106112

In iOS/VoiceOver/Safari, when a focusable element (link, button...but some special casing seems to happen for text entry fields and similar) receives VO focus, the JavaScript focus event is fired and CSS :focus styles apply. In most other OS/AT/browser combinations, this is currently not the case - accessibility focus does not trigger focus() / :focus.

This has been brought up in the past with Mozilla with regards to Android/TalkBack/Firefox (xref https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1000082) and just now with Google for Android/TalkBack/Chrome (xref https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=657157)

10 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Continue Development/Engage With SwiftKey Symbols

SwiftKey was recently acquired by MS - one of their greenhouse apps is SwiftKey Symbols providing keyboard input to non-literate (cognitively disabled) users - also AAC (speech output for aphasic users) on mobile devices. Would be fantastic to see this keyboard further developed/implemented across the wider Windows ecosystem and engagement from the MS Accessibility Teams - potential user group is larger than you might assume ~ 1% population.

10 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Simon,

I wanted to follow up with you to give you an update on your request.

Although we are a small team, we do have plans to develop SwiftKey Symbols further on the Android ecosystem. We have just released an update with the following features:

- Admin mode, a separate location for editing the symbols to minimize distractions in the main communication app
                                      - Better image cropping support
                                      - RTL support with Arabic translations
                                      - Swipe predictions to hide them temporarily, to encourage creativity

We have further plans to work on the accessibility of the app including contrast, resizing, and customizability. We also are thinking about how to enable sharing symbol collections for use in schools, and of course how we can expand from Android to other platforms. Initial investigation into the latter was not very promising and would take us a significant amount of time to do ourselves.…

• Add the Check Accessibility feature to the free Office Online apps

Check Accessibility is a great feature. It should be available to users of the free Office Online apps.

10 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• bring back text/icon resizing

this screen, formerly located at: "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display" in the legacy Control Panel has been removed, and is also not represented in the Settings app menus (in the new Build 15019.rs_prerelease.170121-1513)

Image: https://www.windowscentral.com/sites/wpcentral.com/files/styles/larger_wm_brw/public/field/image/2015/08/windows-10-display-settings-scn-3.png?itok=P_IMrNWw

I NEED these options back. I am registered blind and always use Windows like this (larger text, turned bold for all elements - titlebars, message boxes, icons etc):

Image: http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img924/9568/SSXyGo.jpg

If this isn't fixed, I will be stuck on the old version of Win10 by disabling updates, which will eventually not be supported, meaning I will then be forced back onto Win8. Please stop changing,…

10 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Karl,

Thank you for alerting us with this issue. You’re correct inthat without the resizing or font change option, it can make it difficult to see the desktop icons. Therefor, I’ll forward this on to our product managers to get this issue raised and possibly resolved.

Again, thank you for reaching out to us about this.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability answer Desk team.

• Make shapes accessible to keyboard users in Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc

Currently, in Office programs, when shapes are added to a document:

Word: alt+n, sh, then choose a shape.
                                          Excel: alt+n, zi,sh, then choose a shape.

The shapes themselves are identified, which is great, but as soon as you choose one, you need to use the mouse to insert it.

Many screen readers provide a way of partly manipulating the mouse (eg press numpad slash to left click with NVDA), it is impossible to accurately position the item and resize it. Please include the ability to use the keyboard to accomplish this.

10 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Feedback and Knowledge Base