Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Welcome to Microsoft’s Accessibility Feedback forum. We are very interested in learning more about what products, features, and tools will delight our customers. Please share your ideas with us and remember to vote for ideas posted by others that you also think are great.

If you accidentally came here in need of technical support, please reach out to our Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add Narrator support in the Windows Advanced Startup menu.

When accessing the Advanced Startup menu, Narrator cannot be used. This is the menu you access from settings>update&Security>Recovery that allows you to do things like boot from a disk, access system image backup, etc. When I access this menu, I receive no speech feedback. Pressing Control+Windows+Enter does nothing. If I press it too many times, the computer reboots into Windows again. This is another one of those essential features that needs to be completed ASAP! As someone planning to enter the IT field, this is essential if I want to independently troubleshoot Windows, boot from external drives, etc. Ideally, I'd…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Windows Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow Narrator to unmute the system sound device

Narrator should check the system output device when ever it is activated. If the sound device is muted, Narrator should automatically unmute it and set the volume to a value such as 50% so that it is audible. If the sound device is working properly, Narrator should do nothing and start normally. This would be a great help when trying to work with a system where the sound was muted. By pressing Control+Windows+Enter, the screen reader starts and the sound device is unmuted and set to a relatively high volume.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Windows Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Giving microsoft photos the option to have the windows movie maker layout for blind users.

It would be nice to have the photos app to work or have the option to work just like the old windows movie maker since it was so blind friendly. We could make videos without asking for sighted help back then. Now we have to ask someone to make our videos YouTube ready which doesn't always work out for us.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Windows Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Narrator suggestions

When installing windows from a flash dive it would be nice to have narrator speak during the windows setup process. This would benefit the blind and visually impaired. Also it would be nice to be able to use narrator while in the bios.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Narrator read selected text

Narrator has an hotkey to 'Read previous line'. It should also have a hotkey for 'Read the selected text'.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. 14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Play sounds for interface elements in Narrator

Productivity is a huge part of everyone's life nowadays, and blind people are no different. We want to be as fast and efficient as possible, doubly so to keep up with sighted counterparts. Speech is a great way to access information, but for repeating information it just gets in the way. Sound is a better solution for showing what interface element a user has landed on, because it only takes a few milliseconds to play, whereas speech can be either the same length, or up to a second based on how fast speech is talking. These sounds could replace the…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Windows Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Enable Cortana and Narrator to work together without them both talking on top of one another.

Narrator and Cortana talk on top of each other when I use both at the same time.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Narrator and difficult situations

Narrator is becoming more powerful with every windows 10 release. With that being said, here are some things that would make it more valuable. 1. The ability to access advanced settings in windows, as well as bios configurations. There are times when I need to immage on to a USB drive, and I am unable to. 2. The ability for narrator to work with browsers outside Edge and the now outdated internet explorer. 3. Abaility for narrator to work with other applications o outside microsoft. 3. The abaility for narrator to work with complex web applications that offer chat functionality.4.…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add the ability for Narrator to play sounds instead of speaking formatting information.

Narrator, at this time, uses spoken prompts to describe formatting. This requires more ability to parse information than print-reading people need to. Print readers don't hear "this is a bold test end bold." They see the bolded word or phrase. The blind should have the same experience, or as close as possible. There are two ways this may be achieved. Sounds for different formatting information may be played, but over time these may become confusing to the blind user as to what exactly is going on with the font if the sounds are too similar. The other option is the…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Natural sounding voices

If you could have more natural sounding voices for ease of access options. I am a college student, and I have difficulties with learning if I cant hear it and read it and see it, I struggle. When the voices sound synthesized and computerized, I can't focus at all i can only focus on the voice and how irritating it sounds not to be rude at all. But it is almost like nails on a chalkboard and affects me worse than not having the read-aloud option.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add Support for Windows 10 OCR in Narrator

While Narrator appears to be using some kind of online OCR engine with the image descriptions feature, it isn't very accurate and doesn't work when offline. Narrator should be able to use the built-in OCR engine in Windows 10. NVDA is using this engine and it's fantastic! I can do things like read and select inaccessible controls if they contain text or move focus to an image-based PDF and receive the text in less than 5 seconds.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Letting screenreaders read the Settings information

Some details or information on the Settings screen cannot be read by a screenreader. Some way, it has to be expressed that the data has to be accessed. It just can't be read by either Narrator, the screenreader or the JAWS mode. Was trying to find my "Last Backup date" and it only gave me buttons to backup and such, though the information was there on that same page.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Make Chinese IME Microsoft Pinyin accesssible to other screen readers

Only narrator can read candidate item of Chinese input method. Other screen reader cannot get candidate item of Microsoft Pinyin through ITfUIElementSink

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Automatically pause Narrator while Cortana is listening.

Unlike Siri and VoiceOver on Apple products, Cortana and Narrator are not integrated. Blind and low vision users expect the screen reader to pause whenever a personal assistant is listening for commands.

One third-party developer, Freedom Scientific attempts to remedy this by ducking the audio from it's screen reader (JAWS) whenever Cortana is invoked. However, this method isn't always effective at preventing Cortana from detecting feedback from JAWS.

Is it possible to provide such functionality in Narrator?

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Windows Server Core Accessibility

Windows 10 accessibility is great but there is no thought about accessibility on the Windows Server Core development. I am completely blind and I need to use Windows Server Core. Maybe allow the enabling of an SSH server in an answer file that can be passed to the installer just like previous versions of Windows installs. Then I could ssh to the server core instance and have full access.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Dictionary feature for Narrator

The narrator doesn't support customizing pronunciation feature for specific words. For instance, if narrator pronounces some words incorrectly, Narrator can change the pronunciation in dictionary setting like JAWS and NVDA.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add the ability to reset Narrator settings to factory defaults.

Please add an option to reset all Narrator settings to the default values. This could be helpful in many different situations, especially when troubleshooting problems or if someone wants to undo a bunch of changes and start from scratch.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. add support for changing the pronunciation of the screen reader

A great deal of screen reader users want to change the pronunciation of certain words to specific applications and synthesizers. You should do this for the windows narrator.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base