Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Welcome to Microsoft’s Accessibility Feedback forum. We are very interested in learning more about what products, features, and tools will delight our customers. Please share your ideas with us and remember to vote for ideas posted by others that you also think are great.

If you accidentally came here in need of technical support, please reach out to our Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Windows 10 Build 1809 - File Explorer Right-Click-Menu Problem

I've been everywhere. Feedback Hub, Reddit, Microsoft Accessibility/Support-based accounts on Twitter, Disabled Help Desk. Can we please give this problem some real-world attention by someone who can actually help?

As of Windows 10 Build 1809 - The registry fix of setting "ImmersiveContextMenu" to "0", located at "Computer\HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\FlightedFeatures", no longer has any effect in disabling the new 'immersive context menu'.

Windows shell has the new style, including desktop, file explorer and open dialog boxes in all applications. Why is this a problem? Why was I previously using a registry tweak to remove the new immersive context menu? Just look…

66 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

12 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. I thought Jan 31st was latest for free upgrade to Windows 10. Please extend.

Please extend the free upgrade to Windows 10 for accessibility users.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Windows 10 Global Font type change through Color and Appearance

In Windows 7, we had the option to adjust screen resolution, DPI (set custom text size) and color metrics to suit accessibility needs. I prefer to have the Tahoma font globally as this is very clear of all.

In Windows 10 I realise that the resolution changes and Custom Display Setting are mutually dependent and automatically changes. In Window colour metrics the option to change the colours, font type are missing. In Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display has some customizing options, the ability to update the font type has been removed.

Can we please bring this feature back asap?

STEPS in…

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Purchase the JAWS and ZoomText divisions of Vispero and integrate them into Microsoft and Microsoft products.

Microsoft should consider purchasing the ZoomText and JAWS divisions of Vispero in order to integrate them into the Microsoft accessibility team. These divisions of Vispero already produce software that is exclusive to Windows, and this is the next logical step in making Windows accessible for everyone. This would add a lot of talented folks to the Narrator, Magnifier, and Disability Answer Desk teams.

There would be no more need for teams from Microsoft and Vispero to communicate back and forth on accessibility issues. Everything would be done in house, similar to how Apple implements accessibility on their devices and systems.…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add Dwell Clicking as an Ease of Access feature

Some people (like me) can't use Eye Control for various reasons. We type with trackballs or joysticks. So my question is: If you could offer Dwell Clicking for your Eye Control, why on Earth wouldn't you offer it as a global Ease of Access option? It seems like your physical accessibility options, like the Onscreen Keyboard etc., are being really neglected. There is a lot of need for improvement in this area and nothing seems to happen.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Photosensitive epilepsy / flashing lights

I thought about this from a concert I went to on the weekend,

There could be more options for photosensitive and possibly other forms of epilepsy in Microsoft products, as TV shows and some video content may warn about flashing images but not all will.

I am curious if there is a way for flashing light warnings to be in accessibility checker or better yet in Windows itself with options for when flashing lights are detected or possibly a way to prevent flashing images from being displayed.

While I don't know too much about epilepsy, I believe these features could…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Please include Beeline Reader

Beeline Reader is a plugin enabling readers to make text readable with a click of a button.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add better Narrator support for Microsoft Remote Desktop and Remote Assistance.

Sighted people take remote control for granted. However, it is very difficult for a blind person to remotely control another computer. Most remote control services are either not blind accessible, do not transmit audio, or transmit it with a lot of delay. Tools like NVDA Remote and JAWS Tandem partially solve this problem, but they are not mainstream solutions and require both computers to have the screen reader installed. This is not always feasible if a blind person is working with a sighted person that either has no idea how to install a screen reader or does not want to…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add Speech to Windows BIOS

The most inaccessible part of Windows is the BIOS. There is no way for a blind person to change the BIOS by them selves and it is almost impossible to have someone on your phone read the screen that is on the bios over the phone.
    This means that I need to have someone who is comfortable with working on the innards of the computer, who I trust, following directions from someone who has no idea what they should be looking for.
    This is the only time where Narrator has an advantage over other screen readers.
    Please allow some access…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Make the GitHub contribution chart accessible

With the recent acquisition of GitHub, I am hoping Microsoft can help to make parts of it more accessible. The contribution chart in particular is a mess. It is completely keyboard inaccessible, its hit areas are too small, it offers no cues for what is interactive, its contrast is poor, it is not exposed to screen readers in any way, and it is not even responsive.

As a coding experiment I outlined these issues and made a WCAG 2.1 AA compliant version and shared it with GitHub in the hopes they would use it:

http://adrianroselli.com/2018/02/github-contributions-chart.html

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Coloured icons for Office 365 dashboard tiles

Could the Office 365 dashboard (online) icons go back to being colourful, instead of one colour as it was a great differentiator for vision impaired users.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Please add beeline to all your products or even include it pre installed as a setting in windows

Would love it if you included beeline in as an extension/plugin for all of your products, or even better incorporated it directly into the windows system so that it could be used w/ all system fonts/text & make it configurable via ease of access or perhaps display settings. After first the beeline chrome extension & then the pdf plugin I can wholeheartedly say this is one of the coolest & truly helpful tools in increasing not only my reading speeds but comprehension as well. I've tried many different speed reading tools, software & techniques, some of which were good, but…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. I'm an ATP working with people with complex physical access needs. Can we please have Switch Access to Windows added to Ease of Access?!

While we all love Eye Control and the potential for unlocking people's Access to their computers, Switch and Scan is still a very common method for many users with significant physical disabilities for whom eye gaze technology is not suitable . It's also present and well executed in MacOSX , iOS, and recent Android builds - please add integrated Switch Access to the Ease of Access Center !

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Implement scanning access for switch users to Windows please.

While the new Eye Control is a game changer for many people with physical access difficulties, it doesn't necessarily t work for folk that may need switch access through the OS. Currently only third party programs can do this via floating onscreen keyboards (ACAT, Grid 3, Communicator 5) - but a more elegant and robust solution would be to allow access directly to OS UI elements. An alternative might be to implement a basic and customisable onscreen keyboard in Ease of Access that allowed interaction with Windows (perhaps even bring ACAT radar mouse control into Win10?.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Extend access to Windows 10 for the disabled.

Microsoft should extend free access to Windows 10 for the disabled and give clearer notice of its expiration. There are many disabled who were unaware of the deadline. Windows 10 has additional features for helping disabled persons. In addition, it is clearly in Microsoft's interest to have as many people using Windows 10 as possible.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Windows has poorer accessibility for people with low vision

I have macular degeneration, and I use a 29-inch HD monitor with Magnifier on in the inverted color mode to improve readability of documents (all have black text on a white surface). When I use Magnifier to increase a 6 or 8 point a fund to the size of a 16-point font, the result is ragged-looking and hard to read. The Microsoft speech recognition tutorial was hard to use because I had to magnify the readings until their raggedness make it hard to read them. If I am working with a dark-themed website that has small text, I can’t magnify…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Use NVDA instead of Narrator to install Windows 10

I want to be able to use NVDA during Windows 10 Installation because Narrator is sometimes lagging or doesn't read all Information that's being displayed on the Screen.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. I suggest you to introduce a special theme for people with low vision who do not require inverted colors or high contrast. All they need is

I suggest you to introduce a new special windows theme for people with low vision who do not require inverted colors or high contrast. All they need is larger font sizes and white text on black background. It was very easy to change all the appearances in Windows XP and older versions. However, in newer versions like windows 7, 10 etc. , the blind user has to depend on others to change the appearances in order to begin using the computer. therefore, it would be highly beneficial if an accessibility button is introduced on the desktop so that a user…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Please make the onscreen keyboard available on the Bitlocker password login screen

I have a physical disability and rely on using the onscreen keyboard to type. Currently (as far as I know) the onscreen keyboard is only available on the Bitlocker decrypt screen when using a touch screen. Please make this keyboard available to use with the mouse also.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Please make seeing AI app available in Australia and also on Android

This is a brilliant app for users with vision impairments, reading and mobility difficulties. Please enable access in Australia

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base