Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Welcome to Microsoft’s Accessibility Feedback forum. We are very interested in learning more about what products, features, and tools will delight our customers. Please share your ideas with us and remember to vote for ideas posted by others that you also think are great.

If you accidentally came here in need of technical support, please reach out to our Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. ADVISE WHEN Seeing AI app will be available on Android phones. Help near blind folks know if they must buy a new Apple iPhone? Or wait?

Aged near blind must have access to this terrific app. Must they buy an iPhone and scrap their Android device only to find out next day that Seeing AI is now available for Android devices. PLEASE - just let us know WHEN so that we can make intelligent decisions. Surely Microsoft can do better than "We're working on it". Thanks MUCH.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

7 comments  ·  Seeing AI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Change Outlook color schemes

The color scheme in Outlook 2016 does not provide enough contrast for some features, such as highlighting out of office or busy days. This is especially true for the "dark grey" office theme - where the ooo days show up as a whiter shade against a light grey background - impossible to see in the month view. Getting away from the pastel colors would help.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the Disability Answer Desk. This is something that we are currently working on and investigating solutions to improve contrast themes in our software. Our Project Managers are aware of this and we will get back to you as soon as there are more details available.

Again, thank you for reaching out to us. And if in the future, you have further issues, questions, or comments, please let us know.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk Team.

3. bring back text/icon resizing

this screen, formerly located at: "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display" in the legacy Control Panel has been removed, and is also not represented in the Settings app menus (in the new Build 15019.rs_prerelease.170121-1513)

Image: https://www.windowscentral.com/sites/wpcentral.com/files/styles/largerwmbrw/public/field/image/2015/08/windows-10-display-settings-scn-3.png?itok=P_IMrNWw

I NEED these options back. I am registered blind and always use Windows like this (larger text, turned bold for all elements - titlebars, message boxes, icons etc):

Image: http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img924/9568/SSXyGo.jpg

If this isn't fixed, I will be stuck on the old version of Win10 by disabling updates, which will eventually not be supported, meaning I will then be forced back onto Win8. Please…

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello Karl,

Thank you for alerting us with this issue. You’re correct inthat without the resizing or font change option, it can make it difficult to see the desktop icons. Therefor, I’ll forward this on to our product managers to get this issue raised and possibly resolved.

Again, thank you for reaching out to us about this.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability answer Desk team.

4. Playing Age of Empires: Definitive Edition Nonvisually

Hello,
    There is no topic for "Games", so I hope this goes to the correct people.
    The new Age of Empires: Definitive Edition comes with self-voicing menus and narration which makes the game 85% accessible. There are a set of minor changes that need to be added, such as navigating the unit menu with the keyboard, reading tooltips when arrowing over units, making space select or click by default, and adding a grid view to the map. Other than this, all menus are completely readable, units are all labeled, there is keyboard access on everything but the unit menu and…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Add Narrator support in the Windows Advanced Startup menu.

When accessing the Advanced Startup menu, Narrator cannot be used. This is the menu you access from settings>update&Security>Recovery that allows you to do things like boot from a disk, access system image backup, etc. When I access this menu, I receive no speech feedback. Pressing Control+Windows+Enter does nothing. If I press it too many times, the computer reboots into Windows again. This is another one of those essential features that needs to be completed ASAP! As someone planning to enter the IT field, this is essential if I want to independently troubleshoot Windows, boot from external drives, etc. Ideally, I'd…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Windows Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Eye Control: Open up the operating system to all alternative access users.

It's exciting that the operating system may be opened up for eye-gaze users, as a built in feature, but....

What about head-tracker users?
    What about non-Tobii eye-tracker users?
    What about other pointer controlling AT devices?
    What about switch users?

Would be magical to open things up for a much vaster array of users, rather than curtail to one narrow area. Please do it. :)

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Learning Tools

Learning tools is an accessibility feature that should be available in all versions off office at least as an optional add-on. I recommend making it a part of the program too so students, faculty, and staff do not have to go through filling out ADA paperwork just to get it. Learning tools is not included in the Office 365 ProPlus or the free copies that employees or students receive. People with disabilities are penalized by having to pay for a subscription that would otherwise be at no charge.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Flag Windows store apps that are particularly accessible.

I don't want to purchase or even install a ton of apps only to find I won't be able to read their screens with narrator. Can Microsoft give apps that are especially accessible an award or something so I can search for just those?

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Sponsored/Donated Adaptive Controllers

I was really moved by the Adaptive Controller campaign. It is so amazing to see a company pushing the boundaries and making their product more inclusive.

I don't know anyone in my personal life who needs this device but I wanted to reach out and ask if you've thought about 'sponsored devices' or creating a program that allows people to purchase a device for a person who needs it. Perhaps continuing the organizational partnerships you've already established to help get the devices to the right people?

I'm not sure this is the right channel to start this discussion but I…

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add a pronunciation dictionary to Narrator

This is a feature that is found in all the other major screen readers. Narrator should include a pronunciation dictionary to customize how the speech synthesizer pronounces certain words if the default pronunciation is incorrect. This is usually done by entering the correct spelling of the word followed by a misspelled version that is pronounced correctly by the TTS voice. Whenever Narrator encounters the correct spelling of the word, it will speak it using the custom pronunciation rule.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. enable narrator to work with echoing text that has been dictated

Make narrator echo back dictated text using Windows speech Recognition so that blind people who have limited use of their hands can take advantage of both features.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Get accessibility checker to warn about text that has been formatted with manually created styles

Is it possible to make the accessibility checker warn users when they create new styles to format text, instead of using (or modifying) the built in word styles?
    - as manually created styles, eg. headings, can't be recognised by screen readers.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Word - Office Accessiblity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Purchase the JAWS and ZoomText divisions of Vispero and integrate them into Microsoft and Microsoft products.

Microsoft should consider purchasing the ZoomText and JAWS divisions of Vispero in order to integrate them into the Microsoft accessibility team. These divisions of Vispero already produce software that is exclusive to Windows, and this is the next logical step in making Windows accessible for everyone. This would add a lot of talented folks to the Narrator, Magnifier, and Disability Answer Desk teams.

There would be no more need for teams from Microsoft and Vispero to communicate back and forth on accessibility issues. Everything would be done in house, similar to how Apple implements accessibility on their devices and systems.…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Add Dwell Clicking as an Ease of Access feature

Some people (like me) can't use Eye Control for various reasons. We type with trackballs or joysticks. So my question is: If you could offer Dwell Clicking for your Eye Control, why on Earth wouldn't you offer it as a global Ease of Access option? It seems like your physical accessibility options, like the Onscreen Keyboard etc., are being really neglected. There is a lot of need for improvement in this area and nothing seems to happen.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Allow Narrator to unmute the system sound device

Narrator should check the system output device when ever it is activated. If the sound device is muted, Narrator should automatically unmute it and set the volume to a value such as 50% so that it is audible. If the sound device is working properly, Narrator should do nothing and start normally. This would be a great help when trying to work with a system where the sound was muted. By pressing Control+Windows+Enter, the screen reader starts and the sound device is unmuted and set to a relatively high volume.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Windows Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Eye-tracker as an assistive technology for using a mouse or other pointing devices

I know there are many people, like myself, for whom it's hard to move mouse. Especially on long distances, like from one edge of the screen to another. And you can't speed up pointer too much because it becomes too inaccurate. Or the software, including Windows native mouse support, doesn't let you.

An eye tracker - used only to move the pointer with blinking (e.g. twice) - could be a great help here. And it didn't even need to be precise.

I have a muscle wasting disease (DMD). Some people with similar diseases use only mouses, other styluses or touchpads.…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Windows Eye Control  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Make the Narrator keyboard commands mimic two of the most popular screen readers JAWS or NVDA. This would make it easier to switch between t

Make the Narrator keyboard commands mimic two of the most popular screen readers JAWS or NVDA. This would make it easier to switch between the different screen readers. Narrator is starting to show some potential but as it becomes more useful it may be too difficult to use if the commands are to difficult to remember.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Photosensitive epilepsy / flashing lights

I thought about this from a concert I went to on the weekend,

There could be more options for photosensitive and possibly other forms of epilepsy in Microsoft products, as TV shows and some video content may warn about flashing images but not all will.

I am curious if there is a way for flashing light warnings to be in accessibility checker or better yet in Windows itself with options for when flashing lights are detected or possibly a way to prevent flashing images from being displayed.

While I don't know too much about epilepsy, I believe these features could…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Get accessibility checker to warn about links that don't have descriptive text

It would be great if the accessibility checker warned about links that have been inserted as the URL address (https://blah.com/etc/etc/etc.com) instead of being replaced by descriptive text.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Word - Office Accessiblity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Please include Beeline Reader

Beeline Reader is a plugin enabling readers to make text readable with a click of a button.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base