Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Welcome to Microsoft’s Accessibility Feedback forum. We are very interested in learning more about what products, features, and tools will delight our customers. Please share your ideas with us and remember to vote for ideas posted by others that you also think are great.

If you accidentally came here in need of technical support, please reach out to our Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team

I suggest you ...

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Narrator should automatically switch to screen mode and editable mode as appropriate. editable/input is encountered, Narrator switches

Narrator should automatically switch to screen mode and editable mode as appropriate. editable/input is encountered, Narrator switches

13 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello Hari Dhoundiyal ,

Thank you for contacting the Disability Answer Desk about your concern with Narrator. Can you give us some more detail as to when it does not alternate in between screen and editing mode? This would help us improve the software to make it user friendly.

Thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk.

• Text selection commands don't work in Scan Mode

I have posted this to the Windows Insider Feedback Hub, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to post this here as well. When reading text in Scan Mode, it is impossible to use standard Windows text selection commands to select text. This would be very useful in all sorts of places. For example, I could select and copy the text from an error message or text from a website.

13 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Add the Check Accessibility feature to the free Office Online apps

Check Accessibility is a great feature. It should be available to users of the free Office Online apps.

13 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

• A Utility For Identifying Words With Multiple Spellings That Sound the Same

As a blind writer and editor, my biggest challenge is homonyms and homophones. Current tools allow me to proof for all other aspects of copy, but not this one. Grammar check catches selected ones like it’s verses its, which is helpful. What would be ideal, is a utility that flags every word in a document that is a homonym or homophone, pops up a window with very brief definitions, and lets you verify which spelling you want. It would also be helpful if you could enter exceptions, words you’re confident you already know, in order to streamline the process. Of…

13 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Improve Windows Ink Workspace

First off add multiple monitor support. Currently, when you hit the Ink Workspace button, the app will only open on your 'main' monitor. There seems to be no way to sketch on anything on the second monitor connected. You can do this with the Snipping Tool provided by Windows so why use Ink Workspace???

2nd, please add the ability to adjust the ruler without touch support? Maybe I'm missing something but I cant seem to figure out how to move the ruler from its initial position. I am guessing you need to use multi-touch gestures to maneuver the ruler which…

13 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello Mike,

Thank you for reaching out to us on this issue. Currently, I’m reaching out to some of the product owners of Windows Ink to do additional background research to see if we can give you a solution to your issue. In the meantime, if you have further information to offer to help us further assist you, you are more than welcome to post additional comments on the forum.

As always we are here to assist those who have disabilities in using our products as each and every person is a valued customer.

Again, thank you for your posting and we we’ll get back to you with updates as soon as they made available to us.

Sincerely, the Microsoft Disability Answer Desk.

• Add the ability to use insert or caps lock in Narrator

I'd like to see an option under Narrator's general settings pane to use caps lock, numpad insert or extended insert as the Narrator modifyer key. For some reason, I'm finding that only using caps lock as modifyer to be a bit wonky. Indeed, I'm coming from Jaws and NVDA, so this may be a newby's foyble, but this would make my transition that much more smooth.

13 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

THis is an interesting request. It makes sense in that it would make the transition from JAWS or NVDA easier for users. We’ll pass this on to our product team and let you know when this becomes available.

Thank you for your input; and in the future, if you have any issues, questions, or concerns, please feel free to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team.

• Narrator on 64-bit systems should be able to use 32-bit TTS voices

Currently, on 64-bit Windows, Narrator can use only TTS voices that have 64-bit support. Most (if not all) newer voices do have 64-bit support. But there are older TTS voices, that have only 32-bit support. They can be installed on 64-bit Windows and used by programs that support them. But Narrator on 64-bit Windows does not support them and can't use them. The ideal solution would be to ask the developers of the TTS voices in question to add 64-bit support to them. But most of those TTS voices are abandoned (no longer developed) and the chance to get an…

13 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Make the out office shading darker

The out of office all day shading on the calendar is too light to be effective. Please go back to the old shading.

13 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • SP.UI.ModalDialog.showModalDialog and Accessibility issues

SP.UI.ModalDialog.showModalDialog and Accessibility issues

I got an opportunity to work on a SharePoint project recently. As part of this project, we had to fix accessibility issues on a SharePoint site. Here is the list of issues I found which can be made accessible out of the box. Let me know in case of any questions.

1. Modal content gets rendered in an iframe but without title. iframe should have a title as per Accessibility Guidelines. If you don't, screen reader starts reading the source URL. I suggest you to provide the page name as title at least .

2. It…

13 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Enable users to resize the content and IM windows in Skype for Business.

I am frequently challenged to read things which are being presented. I'm always trying to zoom in before I remember that zoom doesn't exist in Skype.
                      Maximizing the window or collapsing the message window doesn't help, since so much of the screen real estate is devoted to other elements. And I usually don't want to collapse the IM window altogether, just change the proportions so I can see everything.

12 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello Molly,

I’m not sure exactly what you are referring to as it appears you are aking about resizing text in the IM window. This is easy to do.

1. First in the Skype session, click on the IM icon at the lower left of the screen.
                        2. At the lower-right hand side of the window, click the icon that looks like “…”.
                        3. From the menue that appears, select, “IM Text Size”.
                        4. There you can select the percentage of size of text to display in the IM window.

With regard to the other isue, are your referring to zooming inon a shared screen or destop? If not, can you give us the exact scenario that is cuasting the difficulty?

Thank you for contacting us, andif there is anything further we can do for you, please feel free to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk…

• The ability to change my working background (in Word, Outlook and Excel)

Hi,
                        I used to be able to change the colour of my background in the Personalisation option from the Desktop. It allowed me to choose any colour I liked for my page and text in Word, Outlook and Excel. It was wonderful and I used to share this feature with users I trained using AT since it was a free adaptation that made a huge difference.

I have always said, you would never spend all day looking at a bright white light, and yet we do, by looking at a bright white piece of paper in Word.

This is hugely…

12 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

Thanks for contacting us about this. We are currently looking into this and will give you updates on this as soon as made available.

In the meantime, have you tried the following as a potential solution?

Try these options for the user:

There are two ways to set high contrast to reduce eye-strain and improve readability. Please try one of these and let us know your feedback as to whether this resolved your issues or not.
                          1. Office themes, a “mild mannered” solution, where you can choose a theme with better contrast
                          a. Shortcut Press L Alt+ L Shift + Print Screen; talked about in: https://blogs.office.com/2016/05/19/accessibility-enhancements-in-office-365-for-people-with-vision-impairments/
                          2. High contrast in Windows, the “real thing”, which they set in the Ease of Access center
                          a. Turn high contrast mode on or off in Windows: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/ece8e1d7-1a7c-473c-a0f4-3c9d66fee295/turn-high-contrast-mode-on-or-off-in-windows

Sincerely,

• Make the command lines work better with screen readers, including the new Bash client for developers

The current command line works pretty good, but there are two major problems that showed up particularly in windows 10:
                          1. You need to use the review cursor to read the command line. This is OK, but not novice friendly and has always been the case.
                          2. When one has "speak typed characters on" or "speak typed words on" I will hear new output spelled to me rather than read normally. This is beyond aggravating!
                          Next, the new Bash client acts like the command line, but when using things like SSH, Nano or Vim, it acts a little strangely.
                          For…

12 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Make shapes accessible to keyboard users in Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc

Currently, in Office programs, when shapes are added to a document:

Word: alt+n, sh, then choose a shape.
                            Excel: alt+n, zi,sh, then choose a shape.

The shapes themselves are identified, which is great, but as soon as you choose one, you need to use the mouse to insert it.

Many screen readers provide a way of partly manipulating the mouse (eg press numpad slash to left click with NVDA), it is impossible to accurately position the item and resize it. Please include the ability to use the keyboard to accomplish this.

12 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add a pronunciation dictionary to Narrator

This is a feature that is found in all the other major screen readers. Narrator should include a pronunciation dictionary to customize how the speech synthesizer pronounces certain words if the default pronunciation is incorrect. This is usually done by entering the correct spelling of the word followed by a misspelled version that is pronounced correctly by the TTS voice. Whenever Narrator encounters the correct spelling of the word, it will speak it using the custom pronunciation rule.

12 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add the ability for Narrator to automatically read the contents of dialogue boxes and notifications from Action Center.

When a dialogue box opens, Narrator only reads the first control that gains focus. While it's possible to use the Narrator cursor to read the text in the dialogue, I would like an option to specify whether Narrator automatically reads the contents of these dialogues when they appear. Along the same lines, I'd also like to see automatic reading of notifications when they are received. Currently, I hear a little **** sound when something new pops up. I have to go into the action center and manually view the alert. It would be nice to be told what the notification…

11 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Eye-tracker as an assistive technology for using a mouse or other pointing devices

I know there are many people, like myself, for whom it's hard to move mouse. Especially on long distances, like from one edge of the screen to another. And you can't speed up pointer too much because it becomes too inaccurate. Or the software, including Windows native mouse support, doesn't let you.

An eye tracker - used only to move the pointer with blinking (e.g. twice) - could be a great help here. And it didn't even need to be precise.

I have a muscle wasting disease (DMD). Some people with similar diseases use only mouses, other styluses or touchpads.…

10 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Windows Eye Control  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • real time captioning for Skype for Business

Desired outcome: During a Skype for Business call, when I am sharing my screen and a presentation/desktop demo my audience can see the words I am speaking coming up in front of them on their screens (or in the IM window) so they are able to read the English and follow (imagine deaf audience for eg)

10 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Label the search box in the Windows 10 store

When navigating the Windows 10 store with any screen reader, the search box is unlabeled and only appears as an unlabeled button. Once activated, the button expands to a text area which text can be typed into to perform the user's search query. Can this search box not be correctly labeled, and classed as a standard edit control type rather than a non-standard, unlabeled button? I get that one can press CTRL+E, as in echo, to reach the edit field, but that's not an excuse to override good accessibility habbits as well.

9 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Put a chat on line

a chat online to solve problems inmediately

9 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add how-to's on your PowerPoint support pages for math and animation accessibility

At work we're picking up bits and pieces all over the web about the best way to make PowerPoints accessible-- specifically for math, tables and animations. We're currently getting some info from MathType/Design Science but this could be on the support pages. We're finding that
                                          - MathML is good BUT
                                          - there's an option to add alt text, some users are requesting it, others are saying it shouldn't be added to the Math OLE (turns out it seems to depend on screen reader)
                                          - Animations where a user action adds more bits of math to a single slide-- can't consistently…

9 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Mallory,

This is a very good idea, and thank you so much for breaking down the details of what you’re looking for in reference to this issue. That helps us a great deal in investigating how we can make that feature more accessible.

We’ll do some more research to see how these solutions can be implemented and will get back to you with follow-up details as they become available.

Again, thank you for reaching out to us; and if in the future we can be of further assistance, please let us know.

Sincerely,

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base