Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Welcome to Microsoft’s Accessibility Feedback forum. We are very interested in learning more about what products, features, and tools will delight our customers. Please share your ideas with us and remember to vote for ideas posted by others that you also think are great.

If you accidentally came here in need of technical support, please reach out to our Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team

I suggest you ...

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Honor system-wide font size/color settings in ALL apps

Often times my font size/color settings in Windows apply to some programs but not all. I want to make a change once and have it improve my experience in all applications.

8 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback. I will be happy to submit this as a suggestion to the product group. However, I would like to make yo aware that individual apps have a lot of control on how they look on screen and do not necessarily conform to accessibility best practices guidelines. If you have a Microsoft app that is not behaving as you expect, please let us know.

• Add a Screen Curtin Like on IOS

In windows 10, especially on the Surface devices, the ability to turn off the screen has been disabled. The old method was to press windows+p to get to projector options, then arrow up to second screen only and press enter.
      There are three reasons why having a way to turn off the screen is important:
      1. Privacy and safety. As a blind user, we have no idea who could be looking at our screen and if we are writing some highly personal data in a public place, then we have no way to insure someone is not looking over our…

8 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

• 8 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us with your feature request. we are currently investigating on how to impliment this and will keep you up to date as far as the progress made.

Thank you for contacting us, and if there is anything further we can do, please feel free to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk tearm.

• Make edit hyperlink dialog in word 2016 navigable by keyboard

In the edit hyperlink dialog in Word 2016, the following undesirable behaviour is observed:

- Pressing tab to move between elements, as you move from the "link to: existing file or web page" to the "Text to display" edit box, the OK button loses it's default button status. This means when you press ENTER, you get an error ding and nothing happens. The OK button should remain default button.

- As you press tab and move into "current folder tree view" (the list of files) - the first file is automatically selected and thus the URL you had previously used…

8 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your input. We chatted with the Word Team on these issues:
            • Issue 1: Fixed. This enhancement will start rolling out to Office 365 First Release and Office Insider Customers before Fall.
            • Issue 2: We are working on a fix for this issue now, thank you for your feedback. Our goal is to fix this issue as part of our commitment to accessibility.
            • Issue 3: Unfortunately, we don’t have the ability to fetch the browsing history from most browsers. The team is looking into other potential improvements.

• Make Office help accessible to screen readers

In previous versions of Office, screen readers could access the Office help system. Unfortunately, Office 2016 broke this ability. We need access to the help system returned to an accessible state.

8 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Support captions / subtitles in MP4 & MKV files.

Windows 10 Movies & TV supports SRT files. This is nice, but it's not really enough.
              I know there's no end of anime folks asking for subtitle support in MKV files, so you can ask them what formats are prevalent there.
              In the MP4 container, there's space for multiple "sbtl:tx3g" streams (aka "mov_text") to carry subtitles / captions, either to provide access for people who are deaf or hard of hearing, or to support multiple languages. You already support multiple audio streams, you already support subtitles in external SRT files, subtitles in alternate streams should be a small addition to…

8 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Have more in-store workshops related to accessibility

I go to my local Microsoft store a lot and wish there were more frequent events related to the accessibility features of Microsoft products that I could attend and learn from.

8 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

Thank you for your suggestion and feedback. Here are a couple of links that can provide some training for using some Microsoft products for users of accessible technology.
                  The first link below points to products older than Windows 10and Office 2016,; however, we are working hard to updates this information to include our latest products.

Accessibility Tutorials for Microsoft Products
                  https://www.microsoft.com/enable/training/default.aspx

Accessibility in Office 365 – Office 365
                  https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Accessibility-in-Office-365-aca7accf-58a0-4467-be5c-24a7e7933a9d?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US
                  I will make sure the right people receive your feedback with regards to more training in the retail stores.

• Provide day of week information when navigating the calendar in Outlook 2016.

When navigating the calendar in Outlook 2016 recent builds, the screen reader will announce the dates, but not the actual day of the week. JAWS used to do this before they switched to providing the information directly from outlook.

8 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Jason,

Thank you for contacting us at the Disability Answer Desk. In order to serve you better, can you tell us what version of Outlook you’re using such as Mac or Windows 32 or 64-bit, and what version of Jaws or other screen reader that you are using? That will allow us to get this issue to the appropriate product manager to get this resolved for you.

Again, thank you for contacting us; and we will do our best to resolve this for you.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team.

• Add an enable / disable button to the Magnifier controls window

Currently you have to hit the - button to turn the magnification off. It would be more convenient to just hit one button to enable and disable Magnifier. Then it would return to the previous magnification zoom level used last when enabled.

7 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• UIA should be more stable

Nonvisual Desktop Access drops UIA in Windows 10 build 14361 in UWP apps and open/save file dialogs.

7 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• 7 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out regarding your concern. We are currently working on making Visual Studio more accessible. Therefore I’ll forward your issue on to our product teams for further consideration. In the meantime, updates will be posted on this forum.

Thank you for contacting us.

The Microsoft Disability ANswer Desk team.

• Add a command or toggle to disable Narrator speech and sounds.

There needs to be a way to disable Narrator speech and/or sounds. This is especially true now that we have braille support. Currently, I have to mute the entire system to have a silent braille experience.

7 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Chris,

We do have a hot key to turn on and off Narrator. If you use the Windows Key and Enter, that should turn on and off Narrator.

One clarifying question that I have though is are you using Narrator with the braille device, or are you using the device separately?

Thank you,

• 7 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello Matt,

Thank you for contacting us about your suggestion. In a way that makes sense to have a screen curtain for your Android device like the one that is found in Apple products.

I’ve submitted your feature request to one of our Product Managers for further review. we’ll post updates here as soon as further details become available.

In the meantime, one thing you can do is dim your screen all the way down as that would make it harder for others to read – especially at an angle.

Again, thank you for contacting us about this, and we will endeavor to resolve all issues that are raised.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk.

• 7 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Pete,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. the fn key should behave exactly like CTRL, Shift, or ALT. I’ll forward this to the appropriate development team for resolution to this. Once this is fixed, we’ll let you know.

Again, thank you for reaching out to us; and if in the future we can be of further assistance, don’t hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

• Add customizability to narrator output options

TL:DR
                                -Control voice speed by words per minute instead of arbitrary % value

-Highlight each word as it's voiced. Allow pausing, rewind (e.g. 10 words, 1 sentence.) and skipping ahead. Read mode where successive paragraphs are immediately started after the previous completes itself.

-More options to enable or disable actions which cause voice output (e.g. don't read paragraphs/only read paragraphs on screen, not windows names etc.)

Hi,

I think narrator is really excellent and you've done a great job making it. Thanks!

I have some suggestions for features, I expect they may be considered already, but I think they would…

7 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Please provide tips on using Pivot tables in Excel with screen readers. Pivot tables are one of the most powerful features in Excel.

Pivot tables provide a superb feature set for analyzing data without having to develop complex formulae involving many ranges of data. I use a screen reader and am just starting to learn about them and am finding them wonderful, fascinating, and extremely useful. Sadly, screen reader vendors provide no information on pivot table use, and I believe that their lack of use by blind individuals stems from the fact that blind people don't learn about them, so they are never used. I think Microsoft has a wonderful opportunity here to expose information about one of the unsung heroes of Excel,…

7 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us about this issue. Another unother user has approached us about this very same situation, and we are having our engineering teams look into this.

Thank you for contacting us, and if there is anything else that we can be assistance with in the future, don’t hesitate to let us know.

Sincerely,

• Eye Control: Open up the operating system to all alternative access users.

It's exciting that the operating system may be opened up for eye-gaze users, as a built in feature, but....

What about head-tracker users?
                                    What about non-Tobii eye-tracker users?
                                    What about other pointer controlling AT devices?
                                    What about switch users?

Would be magical to open things up for a much vaster array of users, rather than curtail to one narrow area. Please do it. :)

7 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• I am blind and am the only person who uses the pc. Why can't we have an option to always start narrator when the recovery environment loads

There are no audible alerts to tell you when the recovery environment has loaded and got to the point where you can start narrator and as the default button that is selected is the one that reboots to windows it is easy when pressing the narrator hotkey to accidentally reboot back to windows as I am the only person who uses the pc why can't we have an option in ease of access to start narrator automatically when the recovery image is run.

7 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

THiank you for contacting us about this issue. We’ll forward this to the product manager to see if there is a work around for this problem and if not, if there is a remediation in the works for it. We’ll also keep you aprised of the progress regarding this.

Thank you again for contacting us, and if there is anything else that we can do, please feel free to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability ANswer Desk team.

• Inconsistent accessibility features in Edge and other MS apps

I was directed to come here by customer support. I had to install Windows 7 on a different hard drive just to post this! I have been a member of the "insider" program since February 14th 2015.
                                        I have a spinal cord injury which renders my hands and arms useless. I have been disabled for 25 years. I worked with Mark Novak, at the University of Wisconsin Weisman Center, on the original Access Pack for MS-DOS and Access Pack for Windows 3.1 which is the forefather of "Ease of Access". I must use a mouthstick or voice recognition to navigate…

7 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Azure portal accessibility issues

The following problems in relation to Azure Portal accessibility have been encountered when using this UI with Jaws for windows 18 and NVDA 2016. Both Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome were also tested.

1. the link to add subnets is not properly labeled.
                                          2. It is no longer possible to select the location.
                                          3. When pressinbg E, instead of looking for the last edit field Jaws telling me I'm not in a table.
                                          4. Drop downs are not accessible. The lookup window isn't accessible.
                                          5. Adding a site to site connection on the virtual network gateway. Unable to select a…

7 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Ralph,

Thank yo for reaching out to us with your valuable feedback. We definately appreciate your detailed feedback. This will be pased on to one of our Product Managares Once we recieve information on remediation efforts or when the fix will be published, we will post it here on this forum as a comment in response to the posting.

Thank you again for contacting us; and in the future, if we can be of help with any issue, question, or suggestion in regards to accessibility, please let us know.

Sincerely,

• Don't see your idea?

Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Feedback and Knowledge Base