Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Welcome to Microsoft’s Accessibility Feedback forum. We are very interested in learning more about what products, features, and tools will delight our customers. Please share your ideas with us and remember to vote for ideas posted by others that you also think are great.

If you accidentally came here in need of technical support, please reach out to our Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. bring back text/icon resizing

this screen, formerly located at: "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display" in the legacy Control Panel has been removed, and is also not represented in the Settings app menus (in the new Build 15019.rs_prerelease.170121-1513)

Image: https://www.windowscentral.com/sites/wpcentral.com/files/styles/largerwmbrw/public/field/image/2015/08/windows-10-display-settings-scn-3.png?itok=P_IMrNWw

I NEED these options back. I am registered blind and always use Windows like this (larger text, turned bold for all elements - titlebars, message boxes, icons etc):

Image: http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img924/9568/SSXyGo.jpg

If this isn't fixed, I will be stuck on the old version of Win10 by disabling updates, which will eventually not be supported, meaning I will then be forced back onto Win8. Please…

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello Karl,

Thank you for alerting us with this issue. You’re correct inthat without the resizing or font change option, it can make it difficult to see the desktop icons. Therefor, I’ll forward this on to our product managers to get this issue raised and possibly resolved.

Again, thank you for reaching out to us about this.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability answer Desk team.

2. MS Office color contrast insufficiency issue for combination bar/line charts...

For MS Office (not just Excel), would it be possible to allow for choice of separate fill/outline colors for lines (for all compound types or even just for some) used in combination bar/line graphs or wherever lines are being used to convey meaning? It is currently a challenge to select a single line color that will contrast well against the various colors of the bars AND that of the graph background. What works for darker colors will not work for those that are lighter, and vice versa. Thank you.

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Excel - Office Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. I'd like a follow up from the accessibility team to my earlier post.

The only response i'm seeing from your team is: "Thanks for sharing this feedback with us <name>. We're going to pass this information on to the engineering team. Please continue to leave your feedback here and upvote posts that you agree with."

I would like to see some more feedback on what you are actually doing with the feedback. Please consider my earlier suggestion and follow-up with that message on what the current status is - is it feasible? not feasible? what did the engineering team say of this suggestion?

Thank you!

Relates to:
    https://microsoftaccessibility.uservoice.com/forums/307429-microsoft-accessibility-feedback/suggestions/38544484-xbox-one-accessibility-audio-balancing-for-lef

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Remote desktop access.

Narrator should be able to support the use of remote desktop. In a similar method to that used by Jaws. Synthesized speech would not be sent over the remote audio device to the local system, instead, the synthesizer commands would be sent back to the local synthesizer using one of the RDP protocols. This functionality is already supported in RDP. The support just needs to be added to Narrator.

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Get accessibility checker to warn about links that don't have descriptive text

It would be great if the accessibility checker warned about links that have been inserted as the URL address (https://blah.com/etc/etc/etc.com) instead of being replaced by descriptive text.

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Word - Office Accessiblity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Provide CSP ability to add Communication Credit for O365 Customer

Currently, CSP's do not have the technical ability to add Communications Credits to a customer's O365 E5 subscription to allow capability of assigning a 1-800 toll-free number. As a CSP and reseller, asking the customer to purchase an O365 E5 subscription outside of the CSP can cause confusion when providing support (for both the CSP & Customer), can cause concern from a reseller's perspective, and only complicates IT support. Request the product group enable the capability for a CSP to procure/provision Communication Credits on behalf of customers.

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Skype  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add Narrator support in the Windows Advanced Startup menu.

When accessing the Advanced Startup menu, Narrator cannot be used. This is the menu you access from settings>update&Security>Recovery that allows you to do things like boot from a disk, access system image backup, etc. When I access this menu, I receive no speech feedback. Pressing Control+Windows+Enter does nothing. If I press it too many times, the computer reboots into Windows again. This is another one of those essential features that needs to be completed ASAP! As someone planning to enter the IT field, this is essential if I want to independently troubleshoot Windows, boot from external drives, etc. Ideally, I'd…

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Windows Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Eye Control: Open up the operating system to all alternative access users.

It's exciting that the operating system may be opened up for eye-gaze users, as a built in feature, but....

What about head-tracker users?
    What about non-Tobii eye-tracker users?
    What about other pointer controlling AT devices?
    What about switch users?

Would be magical to open things up for a much vaster array of users, rather than curtail to one narrow area. Please do it. :)

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add a pronunciation dictionary to Narrator

This is a feature that is found in all the other major screen readers. Narrator should include a pronunciation dictionary to customize how the speech synthesizer pronounces certain words if the default pronunciation is incorrect. This is usually done by entering the correct spelling of the word followed by a misspelled version that is pronounced correctly by the TTS voice. Whenever Narrator encounters the correct spelling of the word, it will speak it using the custom pronunciation rule.

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Screen readers often stop interacting with Skype since version 8.63

Since Skype 8.63, there is a screen reader bug present with all screen readers.
    If you press alt f4, which will hide the app to the system tray, then restore it back by pressing enter on the Skype icon, the app won't respond to any keyboard command.
    Pressing Tab, alt 1, nothing will work.
    To get out of this inaccessible state, it is necessary to press alt once to focus the menu bar, then escape to close it. This will restore the keyboard navigation, until you perform the same operation again, that is, hide Skype back to the system tray…

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Skype  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add the option to use pictures for answer choices in Forms

When considering a Universal Design to Learning approach, the ability to use visuals (pictures) for an answer choice in a form would assist our visual learners and allow for alternate access and assessment. For some students, reading is incredibly difficult without an accompanying visual.

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Access - Office Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Narrator read selected text

Narrator has an hotkey to 'Read previous line'. It should also have a hotkey for 'Read the selected text'.

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Windows Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Make edge work with Dragon Naturally Speaking

Many people rely on Dragon Naturally speaking to access there PC. Edge has no support for Dragon so is not usable, the only option is to revert to Internet Explorer.

Either Edge needs to support Speech recognition programs or Internet Explorer needs to continue to be supported. Otherwise a community of people will not be able to use MS products to access the internet.

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Microsoft Edge  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Flag Windows store apps that are particularly accessible.

I don't want to purchase or even install a ton of apps only to find I won't be able to read their screens with narrator. Can Microsoft give apps that are especially accessible an award or something so I can search for just those?

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Fix screen reader bug in Microsoft Calendar App

In Microsoft Calendar app narrator or any other screen reader will NOT read days of the week that newly appear on screen. For example, on the screen you have the full month of November (nothing else). You are sitting on the first week at November 6th. When you move up with the up arrow the previous week appears, but it does NOT tell you that you are now on October 30th. The only way to know is if you use the left or right arrows to move to the previous or next day. I.e 29th or 31st. Please fix!

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Windows Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Sponsored/Donated Adaptive Controllers

I was really moved by the Adaptive Controller campaign. It is so amazing to see a company pushing the boundaries and making their product more inclusive.

I don't know anyone in my personal life who needs this device but I wanted to reach out and ask if you've thought about 'sponsored devices' or creating a program that allows people to purchase a device for a person who needs it. Perhaps continuing the organizational partnerships you've already established to help get the devices to the right people?

I'm not sure this is the right channel to start this discussion but I…

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add Dwell Clicking as an Ease of Access feature

Some people (like me) can't use Eye Control for various reasons. We type with trackballs or joysticks. So my question is: If you could offer Dwell Clicking for your Eye Control, why on Earth wouldn't you offer it as a global Ease of Access option? It seems like your physical accessibility options, like the Onscreen Keyboard etc., are being really neglected. There is a lot of need for improvement in this area and nothing seems to happen.

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. 19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Soundscape  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Add Speech to Windows BIOS

The most inaccessible part of Windows is the BIOS. There is no way for a blind person to change the BIOS by them selves and it is almost impossible to have someone on your phone read the screen that is on the bios over the phone.
    This means that I need to have someone who is comfortable with working on the innards of the computer, who I trust, following directions from someone who has no idea what they should be looking for.
    This is the only time where Narrator has an advantage over other screen readers.
    Please allow some access…

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Allow Narrator to unmute the system sound device

Narrator should check the system output device when ever it is activated. If the sound device is muted, Narrator should automatically unmute it and set the volume to a value such as 50% so that it is audible. If the sound device is working properly, Narrator should do nothing and start normally. This would be a great help when trying to work with a system where the sound was muted. By pressing Control+Windows+Enter, the screen reader starts and the sound device is unmuted and set to a relatively high volume.

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Windows Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base