Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Welcome to Microsoft’s Accessibility Feedback forum. We are very interested in learning more about what products, features, and tools will delight our customers. Please share your ideas with us and remember to vote for ideas posted by others that you also think are great.

If you accidentally came here in need of technical support, please reach out to our Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Improve Skype Accessibility on the desktop versions of Skype for Mac and Windows

Skype version 8 is horrible for screen reader users. The new web interface is very sluggish and extremely difficult to navigate and use with VoiceOver on the mac or a Windows screen reader. Please either revert back to Skype 7 which had a much better UI or significantly improve the accessibility of these new versions.
    I will continue using Skype 7 on macOS and Windows until they either stop working or the accessibility of the new versions returns to the state it was in Skype 7.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

13 comments  ·  Skype  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Improve Windows Ink Workspace

First off add multiple monitor support. Currently, when you hit the Ink Workspace button, the app will only open on your 'main' monitor. There seems to be no way to sketch on anything on the second monitor connected. You can do this with the Snipping Tool provided by Windows so why use Ink Workspace???

2nd, please add the ability to adjust the ruler without touch support? Maybe I'm missing something but I cant seem to figure out how to move the ruler from its initial position. I am guessing you need to use multi-touch gestures to maneuver the ruler which…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello Mike,

Thank you for reaching out to us on this issue. Currently, I’m reaching out to some of the product owners of Windows Ink to do additional background research to see if we can give you a solution to your issue. In the meantime, if you have further information to offer to help us further assist you, you are more than welcome to post additional comments on the forum.

As always we are here to assist those who have disabilities in using our products as each and every person is a valued customer.

Again, thank you for your posting and we we’ll get back to you with updates as soon as they made available to us.

Sincerely, the Microsoft Disability Answer Desk.

3. Make sure developers of different MS products are on the same accessibility page.

Accessibility Checker and Captioning plug-in for PowerPoint? Good job. Thumbs up.

Inability to convert a captioned PowerPoint to an accessible Office Mix? Inexcusable.

MAKE IT EASY FOR END USERS TO CREATE ACCESSIBLE CONTENT.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Please allow scrreen readers to fully read Windows Runtime applications like the Cortana search box

Apparently Microsoft just made a security decision to block any application, even a trusted screen reader, from injecting its code into any WinRT application.
    This includes Windows core components like the start menu, settings app and Microsoft Edge. This also means windows store apps as well.

This greatly reduces accessibility in all these essential apps and in particular edit boxes. We are pretty much writing silently and there is no sound for when we misspelled something or when a suggestion comes up.
    Microsoft is moving more and more to having all their apps and components be packaged like this, so…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. make narrator automatically switch voice based on the language of the text

it would be very useful if the new mobile core voices can be language aware, so that an English voice would speak English text, the Arabic one would only read Arabic text, etc.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. WCAG 2.2.2 - Skype does not give the option to pause, stop or hide GIF images

Hello,

One of my coworkers finds it extremely difficult to use Skype due to the nature of the GIF images. They play incessantly and he cannot stop them. There is no mechanism to Pause, Stop or Hide the content. He has resorted to using this method to push the GIF out of the viewport:
    [ animated GIF viewport scuttling message ]
    [ animated GIF viewport…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Skype  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Giving microsoft photos the option to have the windows movie maker layout for blind users.

It would be nice to have the photos app to work or have the option to work just like the old windows movie maker since it was so blind friendly. We could make videos without asking for sighted help back then. Now we have to ask someone to make our videos YouTube ready which doesn't always work out for us.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Windows Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Seeing AI is FANTASTIC iPhone app for visually impaired. Can you possibly add ability to read playing cards, similar to currencies.

Seeing AI is FANTASTIC iPhone app for visually impaired. Can you possibly add ability to read playing cards, similar to currencies. PLEASE Android!

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Seeing AI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Narrator on 64-bit systems should be able to use 32-bit TTS voices

Currently, on 64-bit Windows, Narrator can use only TTS voices that have 64-bit support. Most (if not all) newer voices do have 64-bit support. But there are older TTS voices, that have only 32-bit support. They can be installed on 64-bit Windows and used by programs that support them. But Narrator on 64-bit Windows does not support them and can't use them. The ideal solution would be to ask the developers of the TTS voices in question to add 64-bit support to them. But most of those TTS voices are abandoned (no longer developed) and the chance to get an…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add the ability to use insert or caps lock in Narrator

I'd like to see an option under Narrator's general settings pane to use caps lock, numpad insert or extended insert as the Narrator modifyer key. For some reason, I'm finding that only using caps lock as modifyer to be a bit wonky. Indeed, I'm coming from Jaws and NVDA, so this may be a newby's foyble, but this would make my transition that much more smooth.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello,

THis is an interesting request. It makes sense in that it would make the transition from JAWS or NVDA easier for users. We’ll pass this on to our product team and let you know when this becomes available.

Thank you for your input; and in the future, if you have any issues, questions, or concerns, please feel free to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team.

11. Put the font size & font color control back into Outlook!

Not everyone has 20-20 vision. Some people need to make the letters bigger in email. Light grey color on white back ground is a nightmare! Also, if you want to make a big improvement.... give us the option to change this awful WHITE back ground into a softer color, so it isn't so ******* the eyes. This is just awful.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the Disability Answer Desk. This is something that we are currently working on and investigating solutions to improve contrast themes in our software. Our Project Managers are aware of this and we will get back to you as soon as there are more details available.

Again, thank you for reaching out to us. And if in the future, you have further issues, questions, or comments, please let us know.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk Team.

12. Add the Check Accessibility feature to the free Office Online apps

Check Accessibility is a great feature. It should be available to users of the free Office Online apps.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Narrator suggestions

When installing windows from a flash dive it would be nice to have narrator speak during the windows setup process. This would benefit the blind and visually impaired. Also it would be nice to be able to use narrator while in the bios.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Narrator read selected text

Narrator has an hotkey to 'Read previous line'. It should also have a hotkey for 'Read the selected text'.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. please extend the free upgrade window 10 for accessibility users

please extend the free upgrade window 10 for accessibility users

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

24 comments  ·  Access - Office Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. A Utility For Identifying Words With Multiple Spellings That Sound the Same

As a blind writer and editor, my biggest challenge is homonyms and homophones. Current tools allow me to proof for all other aspects of copy, but not this one. Grammar check catches selected ones like it’s verses its, which is helpful. What would be ideal, is a utility that flags every word in a document that is a homonym or homophone, pops up a window with very brief definitions, and lets you verify which spelling you want. It would also be helpful if you could enter exceptions, words you’re confident you already know, in order to streamline the process. Of…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Text selection commands don't work in Scan Mode

I have posted this to the Windows Insider Feedback Hub, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to post this here as well. When reading text in Scan Mode, it is impossible to use standard Windows text selection commands to select text. This would be very useful in all sorts of places. For example, I could select and copy the text from an error message or text from a website.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. real time captioning for Skype for Business

Desired outcome: During a Skype for Business call, when I am sharing my screen and a presentation/desktop demo my audience can see the words I am speaking coming up in front of them on their screens (or in the IM window) so they are able to read the English and follow (imagine deaf audience for eg)

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add better Narrator support for Microsoft Remote Desktop and Remote Assistance.

Sighted people take remote control for granted. However, it is very difficult for a blind person to remotely control another computer. Most remote control services are either not blind accessible, do not transmit audio, or transmit it with a lot of delay. Tools like NVDA Remote and JAWS Tandem partially solve this problem, but they are not mainstream solutions and require both computers to have the screen reader installed. This is not always feasible if a blind person is working with a sighted person that either has no idea how to install a screen reader or does not want to…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base