Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Welcome to Microsoft’s Accessibility Feedback forum. We are very interested in learning more about what products, features, and tools will delight our customers. Please share your ideas with us and remember to vote for ideas posted by others that you also think are great.

If you accidentally came here in need of technical support, please reach out to our Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team

I suggest you ...

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. fix narrator in spanish

When using narrator in Spanish, you cannot write properly because when it is On, the keyboard does not recognize accent marks, having to use Ascii in order to write well.

5 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello,

Thank you for the feedback.

After installing the Anniversary update for Windows 10, do you still have an issue with Narrator and Spanish keyboards?

If so, we will need to troubleshoot more to get to a point that we can understand what to address.

Please contact eh Disability Answer Desk to work this issue further if desired. You can find contact info at http://support.microsoft.com/answerdesk/accessibility

• 5 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello Matt,

Thank you for contacting us about your suggestion. In a way that makes sense to have a screen curtain for your Android device like the one that is found in Apple products.

I’ve submitted your feature request to one of our Product Managers for further review. we’ll post updates here as soon as further details become available.

In the meantime, one thing you can do is dim your screen all the way down as that would make it harder for others to read – especially at an angle.

Again, thank you for contacting us about this, and we will endeavor to resolve all issues that are raised.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk.

• Improve screen reader access to OneNote 2016

The improvements made to OneNote 2016 lately have been very impressive and helpful. However, accessing tables on a OneNote page is still flukey at best. Keep up the nice work.

5 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Add the ability for Narrator to automatically read the contents of dialogue boxes and notifications from Action Center.

When a dialogue box opens, Narrator only reads the first control that gains focus. While it's possible to use the Narrator cursor to read the text in the dialogue, I would like an option to specify whether Narrator automatically reads the contents of these dialogues when they appear. Along the same lines, I'd also like to see automatic reading of notifications when they are received. Currently, I hear a little **** sound when something new pops up. I have to go into the action center and manually view the alert. It would be nice to be told what the notification…

5 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add an autoscroll or autopan feature for braille displays.

When braille support is introduced into Narrator, I would like to have an automatic scrolling or panning mode. This would make it easier to read long passages of content without having to constantly press the scroll button on the display to scroll to the next line of braille. This feature could be further enhanced by customizable time intervals for the display to scroll. For example, have the display scroll after 3 seconds, 5 seconds, 10 seconds, etc. This would let the user customize how quickly the refreshes occur.

5 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Make speech recognition (and cortana?) be able to work with different language than default windows....

Apparently, speech recognition wont work if I have a default windows language other than the supported ones. I cannot have for example Swedish as default windows language and speak English US with speech recognition..... I hope you fix this asap.....:-)

5 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Touch screen needs a tweak to be a perfect keyboard for Repetitive Strain Injury.

The tablet touch keyboard is almost a perfect solution to repetitive strain injury. Needs a tweak!
                Currently I am using one screen to type on, and 2nd monitor to use as the monitor. The touch keyboard keeps jumping to the active window rather than staying put on the screen below my fingers.
                I have a MS Surface. I plug a 2nd monitor into it. I fold back the physical keyboard and type on the surface screen like a tablet. I have the external monitor in front of me with a Word document on it that I'm editing.
                I should work…

5 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • 5 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us with your suggestion. Can you provide some more specifics about what you are looking for, such as what Internet browser or application you’re using, gestures, keystrokes you’re using, etc. as well as what you would like simplified?

At Microsoft, we’re always interested and working to improve the user experience of our customers, especially those in the disabled community.

Feel free to respond to this thread, as we are closely monitoring the User Voice forum.

Thank you,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team.

• Bring back screen reader access to tags in OneNote 2016

Tags in OneNote 2016 are small icons that help someone identify different types of information in their notebooks. Some examples are important, questions, to-do items, definitions, contacts etc. Back in OneNote 2010, these tags were accessible for screen readers. Unfortunately, they are completely invisible to screen readers in OneNote 2016. Please bring them back!

5 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• In edge, Narrator should take you to where you were on the previous page when performing the back command by pressing backspace. It should

Currently, Narrator doesn't take you back to where you were on a webpage when going back to the previous page. For example, follow a link in this forum, then go back. Focus should return to the link you were on before going to the new page.

5 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Improve accessibility of Skype for Android

Skype for Android is mostly accessible but need a fix for few areas. The actions at the top after long pressing a chat; The button names are labelled with emoji, this is quite interesting and has no use for TalkBack. You should replace them with text labels.

5 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• add refreshable braille display device support

We are the refreshable braille display device manufacture, and we want add the device to the Windows 10. This device will help the visually impaired people use the Windows 10 very easily!

5 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Mo,

Thank you for reaching out to us with your question as we are focused on making our products more accessible to the disabled community.

We do have oquestion: Are you using LibLouis Braille Library for Braille support in the development of your drivers?

Thank you,

• Visual Studio 2015 modeling projects should be accessible for screen reader users

IT professionals live in a highly visual workplace. Therefore, modeling projects and UML have a high priority in the workplace. It isn't enough for screen reader users to have an alternative method for creating UML diagrams or modeling projects that take 5 times longer than their sighted peers. Instead, we need to work at the same speed and level as our sighted peers. Making visual designers and projects accessible for us would improve our chances at getting a job. The following components in Visual Studio need this type of work: modeling projects, architecture designer, the asp.net webforms designer, the WPF…

5 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• 3D audio events

Hi, I'd like it if Narrator's audio events were 3d, so that we could know where things are on the screen as we move to them. This could also include progress bars, updating from left to right, as it is visually.

5 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Inconsistent behavior of "j" ribbon shortcut keys in Word

When you are in the header or footer area of Word 2016, there is an extra ribbon available for header and footer design. The shortcut key for this is listed as "JH", but it works differently depending on the context:

- If you press alt+j together and there is no table or image in your header, it jumps straight into the ribbon, in which case "h" then activates the "header" drop down on the ribbon.
                                - If you press alt+j together and DO have a table or image in your header, you then need to press "h" as tables and…

5 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Jaws under windows 10, there is a known bug with how Windows is reporting colors to jaws not allowing Jaws users to assign screen highlights

With Jaws under windows 10, there is a known bug with how Windows is reporting colors to jaws not allowing Jaws users to assign screen highlights reliably like we were able to do in windows 7. Freedom scientific states that they are working with you guys on this issue, but are still waiting for MS to provide a fix. For those of us who are using screen readers, windows 7 provides more reliable accessibility then windows 10. I am hopeful that MS will work with the developers of screen readers to provide better accessibility in Windows 10 with screen readers…

5 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Gian,

Thank you for reachingout to us about this issue. After doing some preliminary investigation, we could not find the issue refrenced as being passed to us by freedom Scientific. Therefore we need more details.

Can you provide us with the environment you’re using, JASWS version, Windows Version, Applicaion you’re finding this bug most with, and steps to reproduce the problem? THis would be a help inresolving your issue as soon as possible.

Thank you,

• Make Microsoft Visio 2016 accessible to screen reader users

Visio 2016 should be completely accessible for screen reader users. At the moment, a screen reader can read diagrams on a limited bases. For instance, tabbing around a Visio document renders the shapes and text within those shapes accessible. However, the lines connecting the shapes are not accessible. Furthermore, a screen reader user cannot independently create their own Visio diagrams. Since this is a crutial part of a software developer/designer's job description, Visio 2016 and later should fully support screen reader users. To get my job done, I have to use a scripting language to create diagrams, which takes three…

5 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Make Mouse Keys work in Edge

Accessibility feature Mouse Keys does not work in Edge (and UWP apps with edge html engine). There is no reaction on click (5 key on numpad) or double click (+ key on numpad) in page area. Browser toolbars are only clickable with mouse keys area of the browser.

5 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us about this issue. This was reported to us earlier by another user through another forum. Therefore, we have this situation under investigationand indevelopement for a fix. We will keep you up to date as to the progress and fix date for this issue.

In the future, if you have any other issues, comments, or suggestions, please feel free to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

• 5 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• 5 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Feedback and Knowledge Base