Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Welcome to Microsoft’s Accessibility Feedback forum. We are very interested in learning more about what products, features, and tools will delight our customers. Please share your ideas with us and remember to vote for ideas posted by others that you also think are great.

If you accidentally came here in need of technical support, please reach out to our Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Improve Windows Ink Workspace

First off add multiple monitor support. Currently, when you hit the Ink Workspace button, the app will only open on your 'main' monitor. There seems to be no way to sketch on anything on the second monitor connected. You can do this with the Snipping Tool provided by Windows so why use Ink Workspace???

2nd, please add the ability to adjust the ruler without touch support? Maybe I'm missing something but I cant seem to figure out how to move the ruler from its initial position. I am guessing you need to use multi-touch gestures to maneuver the ruler which…

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello Mike,

Thank you for reaching out to us on this issue. Currently, I’m reaching out to some of the product owners of Windows Ink to do additional background research to see if we can give you a solution to your issue. In the meantime, if you have further information to offer to help us further assist you, you are more than welcome to post additional comments on the forum.

As always we are here to assist those who have disabilities in using our products as each and every person is a valued customer.

Again, thank you for your posting and we we’ll get back to you with updates as soon as they made available to us.

Sincerely, the Microsoft Disability Answer Desk.

2. enable narrator to work with echoing text that has been dictated

Make narrator echo back dictated text using Windows speech Recognition so that blind people who have limited use of their hands can take advantage of both features.

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Microsoft Family: Allow screen time to be assigned to groups of apps (example: 1hr total for all game apps)

With kids needing to be online for school everyday, parents need a way to restrict how much screen time they have for apps which are not school. I would like to be able to group my child's apps into categories and then assign a total time to each category.

For example: I would like to limit my child's gaming screen-time regardless of which game they are playing.
    The current controls only let me set the time for each game which allows them to play each game to the limit for a total of many many hours past the desired screen…

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Access - Office Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Introduce an Ease of Access option that forces ANY Windows application to have conventional scroll bars with left / right & up / down arrows

A growing number of software developers such as Postbox Inc and Mailbird are copying Apple's ultra thin scroll bars with no left / right & up / down arrows when creating applications for Windows.

This recent trend has introduced the issue of scroll bar inaccessibility to Windows users, making life increasingly difficult for people like myself who has arm control difficulties. Should this trend continue, many disabled people will face an increasingly limited choice of software due to companies who place "innovative looks" over accessibility.

Please Microsoft, introduce an Ease of Access option that forces ANY Windows application to have…

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Reducing background game music and automatically control the Xbox One in complicated games for blind and visually impaired gamers

Dear Microsoft,

I have some suggestions on improving the accessibility on Xbox One for blind and visually impaired gamers. I am a visually impaired gamer. I like to play Final Fantasy especially Final Fantasy XIII Trilogy. For Final Fantasy XIII-2, I have noticed that the background game music is very loud, and it is sometimes difficult for me to hear the character’s footsteps, depending on the music and the surface the character is navigating on. I strongly suggest for you to add an accessibility feature on the Xbox one console to have the ability to reduce background game music, so…

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Windows 10 Magnifier needs to be improved!

The magnifier works terribly.
    The motion is jammed and not smooth.
    It doesn't feel like it had been optimized.
    Using the GPU to improve the zoom motion would be ideal.
    Mac OS and Chrome Os implemented this perfectly.
    Also, adding a select to speak feature would be ideal, since some users don't need narrator on full time.
    Allow users to customize the modifier keys they want to use with the mouse wheel.
    Thanks for listening! These improvement will change the whole windows experience to people like me.

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Windows Magnifier  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Purchase the JAWS and ZoomText divisions of Vispero and integrate them into Microsoft and Microsoft products.

Microsoft should consider purchasing the ZoomText and JAWS divisions of Vispero in order to integrate them into the Microsoft accessibility team. These divisions of Vispero already produce software that is exclusive to Windows, and this is the next logical step in making Windows accessible for everyone. This would add a lot of talented folks to the Narrator, Magnifier, and Disability Answer Desk teams.

There would be no more need for teams from Microsoft and Vispero to communicate back and forth on accessibility issues. Everything would be done in house, similar to how Apple implements accessibility on their devices and systems.…

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Is there a way to connect my hearing aids to my Xbox one?

Can you make an adapter to work with my Xbox one controller/device and my Bluetooth capable hearings aids? A 1.5mm to Bluetooth transmitter in the headphone jack would work, no?

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Eye-tracker as an assistive technology for using a mouse or other pointing devices

I know there are many people, like myself, for whom it's hard to move mouse. Especially on long distances, like from one edge of the screen to another. And you can't speed up pointer too much because it becomes too inaccurate. Or the software, including Windows native mouse support, doesn't let you.

An eye tracker - used only to move the pointer with blinking (e.g. twice) - could be a great help here. And it didn't even need to be precise.

I have a muscle wasting disease (DMD). Some people with similar diseases use only mouses, other styluses or touchpads.…

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Windows Eye Control  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Make sure developers of different MS products are on the same accessibility page.

Accessibility Checker and Captioning plug-in for PowerPoint? Good job. Thumbs up.

Inability to convert a captioned PowerPoint to an accessible Office Mix? Inexcusable.

MAKE IT EASY FOR END USERS TO CREATE ACCESSIBLE CONTENT.

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Make the Narrator keyboard commands mimic two of the most popular screen readers JAWS or NVDA. This would make it easier to switch between t

Make the Narrator keyboard commands mimic two of the most popular screen readers JAWS or NVDA. This would make it easier to switch between the different screen readers. Narrator is starting to show some potential but as it becomes more useful it may be too difficult to use if the commands are to difficult to remember.

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Please allow scrreen readers to fully read Windows Runtime applications like the Cortana search box

Apparently Microsoft just made a security decision to block any application, even a trusted screen reader, from injecting its code into any WinRT application.
    This includes Windows core components like the start menu, settings app and Microsoft Edge. This also means windows store apps as well.

This greatly reduces accessibility in all these essential apps and in particular edit boxes. We are pretty much writing silently and there is no sound for when we misspelled something or when a suggestion comes up.
    Microsoft is moving more and more to having all their apps and components be packaged like this, so…

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. make narrator automatically switch voice based on the language of the text

it would be very useful if the new mobile core voices can be language aware, so that an English voice would speak English text, the Arabic one would only read Arabic text, etc.

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. family safety

Please can we have an option to control time & usage limits for a group of apps. First attempt - group all games in one - group all media in another. We prefer to have kids play till x-time and allow media apps a little later. As the kids add new games/apps it becomes difficult to manage.

Going further is to allow custom groups so apps can be grouped and controlled.

At the moment we have had to disable screentime, and just contrlol the individual apps and smart sockets to cut out the power to the TV as a failsafe.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. WCAG 2.2.2 - Skype does not give the option to pause, stop or hide GIF images

Hello,

One of my coworkers finds it extremely difficult to use Skype due to the nature of the GIF images. They play incessantly and he cannot stop them. There is no mechanism to Pause, Stop or Hide the content. He has resorted to using this method to push the GIF out of the viewport:
    [ animated GIF viewport scuttling message ]
    [ animated GIF viewport…

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Skype  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add better Narrator support for Microsoft Remote Desktop and Remote Assistance.

Sighted people take remote control for granted. However, it is very difficult for a blind person to remotely control another computer. Most remote control services are either not blind accessible, do not transmit audio, or transmit it with a lot of delay. Tools like NVDA Remote and JAWS Tandem partially solve this problem, but they are not mainstream solutions and require both computers to have the screen reader installed. This is not always feasible if a blind person is working with a sighted person that either has no idea how to install a screen reader or does not want to…

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Please include Beeline Reader

Beeline Reader is a plugin enabling readers to make text readable with a click of a button.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Improve Skype Accessibility on the desktop versions of Skype for Mac and Windows

Skype version 8 is horrible for screen reader users. The new web interface is very sluggish and extremely difficult to navigate and use with VoiceOver on the mac or a Windows screen reader. Please either revert back to Skype 7 which had a much better UI or significantly improve the accessibility of these new versions.
    I will continue using Skype 7 on macOS and Windows until they either stop working or the accessibility of the new versions returns to the state it was in Skype 7.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Skype  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Add the ability to use insert or caps lock in Narrator

I'd like to see an option under Narrator's general settings pane to use caps lock, numpad insert or extended insert as the Narrator modifyer key. For some reason, I'm finding that only using caps lock as modifyer to be a bit wonky. Indeed, I'm coming from Jaws and NVDA, so this may be a newby's foyble, but this would make my transition that much more smooth.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello,

THis is an interesting request. It makes sense in that it would make the transition from JAWS or NVDA easier for users. We’ll pass this on to our product team and let you know when this becomes available.

Thank you for your input; and in the future, if you have any issues, questions, or concerns, please feel free to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team.

20. I think it's great I love exploring more accessibilities in technology as we break into a new innovating an advanced technology

I think it's great I love exploring more accessibilities in technology as we break into a new innovating an advanced technology and is the Microsoft customer and account number I would truly like to thank Windows Microsoft for getting me the opportunity over the last 20 years to advance though I do have a disability card literacy but I have gotten so much better Through The Years with continue continue Windows Microsoft and all that you are doing for so many people in the world and all you are doing for our universe creating and innovating new technology each and…

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  LinkedIn Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base