Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Welcome to Microsoft’s Accessibility Feedback forum. We are very interested in learning more about what products, features, and tools will delight our customers. Please share your ideas with us and remember to vote for ideas posted by others that you also think are great.

If you accidentally came here in need of technical support, please reach out to our Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team

I suggest you ...

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Bring Siri's "What did they say" to Windows 10

One key difference I would like to see would be to have it expand the reach of the feature. Make "What did they say" work in Edge.

7 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Add a greater range of dwell times for the onscreen keyboard to increase speed

I type with a combination of a trackball and onscreen keyboard. However, I have to use a third party keyboard (which could go away at any time) because the dwell time on the Windows keyboard is excruciatingly slow even on the fastest (.5 s) setting. On the third party keyboard I can type almost instantly with a dwell time of 200 or 300 ms. Why not refine the range of dwell times?

7 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Amy,

Thank you for contacting us at the Disability Answer Desk. This is a very interesting issue. However to help you further, we need further information regaring the third party software yo are using, on what oporating system, and application or applications you may be using as well.

Than you for reaching out to us, and we’ll do whatever possible to resolve your situation.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team.

• Have more in-store workshops related to accessibility

I go to my local Microsoft store a lot and wish there were more frequent events related to the accessibility features of Microsoft products that I could attend and learn from.

7 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

Thank you for your suggestion and feedback. Here are a couple of links that can provide some training for using some Microsoft products for users of accessible technology.
          The first link below points to products older than Windows 10and Office 2016,; however, we are working hard to updates this information to include our latest products.

Accessibility Tutorials for Microsoft Products
          https://www.microsoft.com/enable/training/default.aspx

Accessibility in Office 365 – Office 365
          https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Accessibility-in-Office-365-aca7accf-58a0-4467-be5c-24a7e7933a9d?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US
          I will make sure the right people receive your feedback with regards to more training in the retail stores.

• Use background color to distinguish buttons in high-contrast themes

The default high-contrast themes do not make use of the option to set a background color for buttons. Instead, they rely on the fact that default button styling includes a border, and set that border to the button text color. Buttons are thereby visually distinguished as text surrounded by a border. Some of the default high-contrast themes also use a different text color for buttons, but not all.

This creates a problem when these styles are applied to websites in MS Edge. Many modern websites do not use border styles on buttons, instead relying on the background color, rounded corners,…

7 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

• 6 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello Kay,

Thank you for reaching out to us with your suggestion. In order to help you further, we would like some more specifics as to what you looking for. As you may no, with Word and PowerPoint, that there are ribbons that are dedicated to shapes. Now there is a way to set up macros that will produce the same effct of what you’re generally looking for. However, I’m gathering that this would be too cumbersome. So is it safe to assume that you’re looking for actual hardware to handle this functionality? If that’s the case, can you give us more specifics as to what the dificulties you’re encountering are and what you want to see, so we can investigate this further?

Again, thank you for reaching out to us with your suggestion. It’s our mission to help those with verious disabilities to access our products with greater ease…

• introduce high contrast theme for outlook.com for message list fonts

the outlook.com themes only change highlight colour
              light grey text on white is illegible

6 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us via the User Voice forum. This is something that we’ve already been made aware of as a desired feature. Therefore, I’m in communication with the product managers to see when this may be implemented. Once I have clear information on this, I’ll post a follow up comment on this topic.

Again, thank you for contacting the Microsoft Disability Help Desk.

• Add options to customize the Narrator views.

When using capslock up and down arrows, there are some items in the list that I don't use. It would be helpful if there was a settings screen with a list of all the elements that could be toggled on or off. This would declutter the list and make it easier to use by removing rarely used commands. I'd personally use this to remove such things as landmarks as I never use that navigation setting.

6 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

01/02/2017 [v-erstea]

Hello Chris,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the Disability ANswer Desk on the User Voice Forum. This is an interesting feature request and makes a lot of sense considering that verbosity settings are found on comparable products. I will contact the product manager for Narrator and follow up with him to see if this is something that is planned for a future release. Once I have an answer back, I’ll follow up with an update with regards to your suggestion.

Thank you again for contacting us about this.

Sincerely,

• Please provide tips on using Pivot tables in Excel with screen readers. Pivot tables are one of the most powerful features in Excel.

Pivot tables provide a superb feature set for analyzing data without having to develop complex formulae involving many ranges of data. I use a screen reader and am just starting to learn about them and am finding them wonderful, fascinating, and extremely useful. Sadly, screen reader vendors provide no information on pivot table use, and I believe that their lack of use by blind individuals stems from the fact that blind people don't learn about them, so they are never used. I think Microsoft has a wonderful opportunity here to expose information about one of the unsung heroes of Excel,…

6 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us about this issue. Another unother user has approached us about this very same situation, and we are having our engineering teams look into this.

Thank you for contacting us, and if there is anything else that we can be assistance with in the future, don’t hesitate to let us know.

Sincerely,

• Narrator is too verbose in lists in edge

Narrator is too verbose in lists. The best way to see this is to go to the Microsoft accessibility user voice main page and look through the list of hot ideas. Insure you are in scan mode. Narrator will say "List start list item x of C". It does this repeatedly as I arrow through the list. This is especially annoying if there is more text associated with the list item. What I would prefer to have spoken is "List start" to indicate I'm entering a list, and just the list item with the word bullet if it's a bulleted…

6 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Mike,

Thank you for contacting us about these issues. We are aware that Narrator and some of the other screen readers are having problems working with Edge. Our product teams are working hard to resolve these problems.

We will forward this on to the product team and update you when this issue is fixed.

Again, thank you for contacting us; and if there is anything else we can assist you with, feel free to reach out.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability answer Desk team.

• 6 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us with your suggestion. Can you provide some more specifics about what you are looking for, such as what Internet browser or application you’re using, gestures, keystrokes you’re using, etc. as well as what you would like simplified?

At Microsoft, we’re always interested and working to improve the user experience of our customers, especially those in the disabled community.

Feel free to respond to this thread, as we are closely monitoring the User Voice forum.

Thank you,

• also greatly improve a magnifier as you have been doing with Narrator. It means that it will be comparable to other magnifiers on the market

Magnifiers like Magic, ZoomText and Supernova have a lot of great features which Windows Magnifier in Win10 should contain. It is important because many people have problems with their sight but not enough to buy a very expensive product. On the other hand many partially sited people don't have enough money to buy these products.

6 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Improve accessibility of the visualstudio.com website

The www.visualstudio.com website is poorly designed for screen reader users. At best it is confusing, cluttered, and focuses on too many tasks at the same time. In fact, some functionality is unavailable to a screen reader user such as allowing external access to a project.

6 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• 3D audio events

Hi, I'd like it if Narrator's audio events were 3d, so that we could know where things are on the screen as we move to them. This could also include progress bars, updating from left to right, as it is visually.

6 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• give win10 the ability to have a thicker coloured border around Windows like in win7

give win10 the ability to have a thicker coloured border around Windows like in win7

this would be extremly helpful for visually impaired users

6 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• create themes in word and PowerPoint that meet the accessibility guidelines for font size and color contrast.

Create Accessible themes, templates in MS word and PowerPoint. And then call the theme Accessible or Low Vision or something that lets people easily find it.

6 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Patricia,

Thank you for reaching out to us about your concern. Be advised that other customers have contacted us about issues related to this situation. Our engineering teams are actively looking into this and changes are in the works.

Having said that, we are always interested in how we can improve out products’ accessibility. Therefore if you have specifics on what you think needs improvement, such as the product being used, scenario in which the problem occurrs, or suggestion on improvements to the specific user interface elements, or specific features, please let us know.

Again, thank you for reaching out to us as we are here to assist in any way possible with accessibility needs.

Sincerely,

• Make Mouse Keys work in Edge

Accessibility feature Mouse Keys does not work in Edge (and UWP apps with edge html engine). There is no reaction on click (5 key on numpad) or double click (+ key on numpad) in page area. Browser toolbars are only clickable with mouse keys area of the browser.

6 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us about this issue. This was reported to us earlier by another user through another forum. Therefore, we have this situation under investigationand indevelopement for a fix. We will keep you up to date as to the progress and fix date for this issue.

In the future, if you have any other issues, comments, or suggestions, please feel free to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

• Excel background colors for reduced eye strain and fatigue

Often Excel users stare at the screen just as much as programmers. Enable background other than white in the spreadsheet area of Excel in order to reduce eye strain. The background could be gray-ish or even something like Visual Studio high contrast mode.

6 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• 6 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Remove the compromise between keyboard and controler on XBox with Narrator

I recently purchased an Xbox console. Here are my thoughts on the experiences so far and I think an underlying theme of where accessibility breaks and needs to improve. I am really passionate about making this a good console for users, so opening dialog up about this is critical. That's why I was super excited when I purchased my console a few weeks ago, a moment where I was confident that at least I'm getting some out-of-box accessibility solutions and a company dedicated to their mission.

First, the biggest issue with Narrator, as it stands, is this controller-keyboard compromise I…

6 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Narrator doesn't reliably show new page content in edge

When following a link or searching from the address bar, Narrator doesn't always position me on the web page. Sometimes it shows the toolbar with open reading view and other controls, and other times it will say the page title and custom repeatedly. This is with scan mode on and I have to tab into the page content to be able to cursor through it again. It also will say "Command unavailable" at times as well. This doesn't seem to be restricted to certain sites as far as I can tell.

6 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Mike,

Thank you for contacting us about these issues. We are aware that Narrator and some of the other screen readers are having problems working with Edge. Our product teams are working hard to resolve these problems.

We will forward this on to the product team and update you when this issue is fixed.

Again, thank you for contacting us; and if there is anything else we can assist you with, feel free to reach out.

Sincerely,

• Don't see your idea?

Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Feedback and Knowledge Base