Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Welcome to Microsoft’s Accessibility Feedback forum. We are very interested in learning more about what products, features, and tools will delight our customers. Please share your ideas with us and remember to vote for ideas posted by others that you also think are great.

If you accidentally came here in need of technical support, please reach out to our Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team

I suggest you ...

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Letting screenreaders read the Settings information

Some details or information on the Settings screen cannot be read by a screenreader. Some way, it has to be expressed that the data has to be accessed. It just can't be read by either Narrator, the screenreader or the JAWS mode. Was trying to find my "Last Backup date" and it only gave me buttons to backup and such, though the information was there on that same page.

6 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Windows Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Narrator is too verbose in lists in edge

Narrator is too verbose in lists. The best way to see this is to go to the Microsoft accessibility user voice main page and look through the list of hot ideas. Insure you are in scan mode. Narrator will say "List start list item x of C". It does this repeatedly as I arrow through the list. This is especially annoying if there is more text associated with the list item. What I would prefer to have spoken is "List start" to indicate I'm entering a list, and just the list item with the word bullet if it's a bulleted…

6 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello Mike,

Thank you for contacting us about these issues. We are aware that Narrator and some of the other screen readers are having problems working with Edge. Our product teams are working hard to resolve these problems.

We will forward this on to the product team and update you when this issue is fixed.

Again, thank you for contacting us; and if there is anything else we can assist you with, feel free to reach out.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability answer Desk team.

• Narrator won't let me review form fields in edge

When typing into the edit boxes on this page or any other pages, I can't navigate character by character with Narrator or move by any other element. It also doesn't announce what I'm backspacing over.

6 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Mike,

Thank you for contacting us about these issues. We are aware that Narrator and some of the other screen readers are having problems working with Edge. Our product teams are working hard to resolve these problems.

We will forward this on to the product team and update you when this issue is fixed.

Again, thank you for contacting us; and if there is anything else we can assist you with, feel free to reach out.

Sincerely,

• allow screen reader audio to be passed through skype for business

We have a use case where we have geographically dispersed teams working on websites with developers in one site and accessibility staff in another.
          We currently use skype for business for screen sharing has largely been successful however the accessibility team is wondering if SfB can pass through screen reader audio to the remote end (developers) in order for the developers to experience what the accessibility team does when using a screen reader – explaining the behavior of the screen readers would be much easier if the screen readers audio is passed through.

6 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • 6 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us with your suggestion. Can you provide some more specifics about what you are looking for, such as what Internet browser or application you’re using, gestures, keystrokes you’re using, etc. as well as what you would like simplified?

At Microsoft, we’re always interested and working to improve the user experience of our customers, especially those in the disabled community.

Feel free to respond to this thread, as we are closely monitoring the User Voice forum.

Thank you,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team.

• for narrator to have more voices like microsoft mark

it would be great if narrator had more nachural sounding voices like microsoft mark clear, crisp and easy to understand
              microsoft mark seembs to be more responsive compared to the other voices.

6 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• also greatly improve a magnifier as you have been doing with Narrator. It means that it will be comparable to other magnifiers on the market

Magnifiers like Magic, ZoomText and Supernova have a lot of great features which Windows Magnifier in Win10 should contain. It is important because many people have problems with their sight but not enough to buy a very expensive product. On the other hand many partially sited people don't have enough money to buy these products.

6 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • The scan mode ought to switch on or off automatically depending on input field, e.g. switching off scan mode when encountering editable fiel

The scan mode ought to switch on or off automatically depending on input field, e.g. switching off scan mode when encountering editable field. I prefer Narrator handling web pages as is handled by System Access screen reader.

6 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello,

THank you for contacting us about this issue. We will forward this to the product manager in charge of Narrator to see if we can get a fix implimented for you.

One question: Are you experinencing this with only one browser such as IE 11 or Edge?

Again, thank you for reaching out to us about this as it’s our missionto help those with disabilities use our products more effectively.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team.

• Narrator says "Command unavailable when trying to silence the reading of tooltips behind links

When Navigating between pages in edge, Narrator will read tooltips behind links such as the url of the link. I press control to silence this and Narrator will say "Command unavailable.

6 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Mike,

Sincerely,

• 3D audio events

Hi, I'd like it if Narrator's audio events were 3d, so that we could know where things are on the screen as we move to them. This could also include progress bars, updating from left to right, as it is visually.

6 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• give win10 the ability to have a thicker coloured border around Windows like in win7

give win10 the ability to have a thicker coloured border around Windows like in win7

this would be extremly helpful for visually impaired users

6 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• create themes in word and PowerPoint that meet the accessibility guidelines for font size and color contrast.

Create Accessible themes, templates in MS word and PowerPoint. And then call the theme Accessible or Low Vision or something that lets people easily find it.

6 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Patricia,

Thank you for reaching out to us about your concern. Be advised that other customers have contacted us about issues related to this situation. Our engineering teams are actively looking into this and changes are in the works.

Having said that, we are always interested in how we can improve out products’ accessibility. Therefore if you have specifics on what you think needs improvement, such as the product being used, scenario in which the problem occurrs, or suggestion on improvements to the specific user interface elements, or specific features, please let us know.

Again, thank you for reaching out to us as we are here to assist in any way possible with accessibility needs.

Sincerely,

• 6 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Remove the compromise between keyboard and controler on XBox with Narrator

I recently purchased an Xbox console. Here are my thoughts on the experiences so far and I think an underlying theme of where accessibility breaks and needs to improve. I am really passionate about making this a good console for users, so opening dialog up about this is critical. That's why I was super excited when I purchased my console a few weeks ago, a moment where I was confident that at least I'm getting some out-of-box accessibility solutions and a company dedicated to their mission.

First, the biggest issue with Narrator, as it stands, is this controller-keyboard compromise I…

6 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Narrator doesn't reliably show new page content in edge

When following a link or searching from the address bar, Narrator doesn't always position me on the web page. Sometimes it shows the toolbar with open reading view and other controls, and other times it will say the page title and custom repeatedly. This is with scan mode on and I have to tab into the page content to be able to cursor through it again. It also will say "Command unavailable" at times as well. This doesn't seem to be restricted to certain sites as far as I can tell.

6 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Mike,

Sincerely,

• Website for updating to Windows 10 for accessibility tech users.

When I attempted to use the down load button on the disability webpage to allow disabled users great to Windows 10 for free my screen reader could not activate the button and I tried several screen readers including jaws are the creators update and the new improved narrator in the fall creators update as part of the insider program.

5 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Access - Office Accessiiblity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Make users more informed about File Explorer's Quick Access Toolbar

The fact that almost any File Explorer Ribbon toolbar button, or group of buttons, be right-clicked and added to Quick Access Toolbar is poorly communicated.

I discovered this by accident a month ago, and the Ribbon has been around since Win8.0. Previously I thought the Q-A-T was limited to only the few button choices which appear under it's drop-down-menu at the end of the toolbar.

Tired of constantly changing to the different 'ribbon tabs' (Home, View) for different features, my Quick Access Toolbar currently looks like this:

http://imageshack.com/a/img923/3060/OsOzTW.png

5 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Windows 10s Download

Please consider making Windows 10s available as a download for older computers. This operating system may work better on older computers and laptops making extending their usefulness. This would be especially helpful for those who may have lower incomes including people with disabilities, students, older citizens, etc.

5 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• In Windows Ink Workspace, add centre of circle

In Windows Ink Workspace, please add centre of circle when drawing a circle (or arc) with protractor inking windows ink.
                                        This will definitely help Math teachers a lot. (and I have a feeling it won't take much effort. THANKS!!

5 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Improve focus on Edge's notification bar

When the notification bar pops up, i use ALT+N to navigate, then cannot see the focus so I have no idea that navigation was successful. Add color and larger borders to the focus element!

5 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Microsoft Edge  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base