Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Welcome to Microsoft’s Accessibility Feedback forum. We are very interested in learning more about what products, features, and tools will delight our customers. Please share your ideas with us and remember to vote for ideas posted by others that you also think are great.

If you accidentally came here in need of technical support, please reach out to our Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Speech recognition improvement needed in Windows

Please can Microsoft improve Windows speech recognition and speech recognition generally for those who can’t use a keyboard, touch screen or switch. Speech recognition plays such a low profile within Windows 10. It should be much more prominent and more of a priority.

Infuse some AI and computational cloud computing into each recognition to improve accuracy.

Windows speech recognition takes a long time to set up and accuracy is not very impressive. It is worlds apart from Nuance Dragon professional speech recognition product.

Windows speech recognition is of little practical use to people like me who rely completely on voice…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Windows Speech Recognition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Outlook iPhone app: improve user experience for VoiceOver users

Improve the user experience for VoiceOver users in the Outlook iPhone app. Efficient Calendar navigation through future dates is currently not possible. Braille screen input can also be unstable in many situations. Native iOS Mail app currently offers a more reliable experience for VoiceOver users.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Outlook - Office Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Skype  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Accessibility Features for Publisher

I am working in Publisher 2010 (Part of MS Office Professional Plus 2010) and I am looking for resources on creating accessible content. I noticed that there is no accessibility checker. Also, even when I used defined parts like "Headings" and then export to a PDF, those tags are not preserved. I was considering upgrading to the new publisher but I don't see any signs that that has those features either. I am very well versed in using the accessibility features and creating accessible content from Word and PPT, so I was expecting the same functionality in Publisher.

It seems…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Word - Office Accessiblity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Enable Cortana and Narrator to work together without them both talking on top of one another.

Narrator and Cortana talk on top of each other when I use both at the same time.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Narrator and difficult situations

Narrator is becoming more powerful with every windows 10 release. With that being said, here are some things that would make it more valuable. 1. The ability to access advanced settings in windows, as well as bios configurations. There are times when I need to immage on to a USB drive, and I am unable to. 2. The ability for narrator to work with browsers outside Edge and the now outdated internet explorer. 3. Abaility for narrator to work with other applications o outside microsoft. 3. The abaility for narrator to work with complex web applications that offer chat functionality.4.…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Soundscape  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Show as Out of Office shading - Outlook 2016

The shading for the Show as Out of Office needs to be much darker in Outlook 2016, just as it was in earlier versions. It is very annoying that you are no longer able to scan the calendar for out of office days due to the color change.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Outlook - Office Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Please add beeline to all your products or even include it pre installed as a setting in windows

Would love it if you included beeline in as an extension/plugin for all of your products, or even better incorporated it directly into the windows system so that it could be used w/ all system fonts/text & make it configurable via ease of access or perhaps display settings. After first the beeline chrome extension & then the pdf plugin I can wholeheartedly say this is one of the coolest & truly helpful tools in increasing not only my reading speeds but comprehension as well. I've tried many different speed reading tools, software & techniques, some of which were good, but…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Provide CSP ability to add Communication Credit for O365 Customer

Currently, CSP's do not have the technical ability to add Communications Credits to a customer's O365 E5 subscription to allow capability of assigning a 1-800 toll-free number. As a CSP and reseller, asking the customer to purchase an O365 E5 subscription outside of the CSP can cause confusion when providing support (for both the CSP & Customer), can cause concern from a reseller's perspective, and only complicates IT support. Request the product group enable the capability for a CSP to procure/provision Communication Credits on behalf of customers.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Skype  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. the ability for narrator to work in windows PE

as of yet narrator does not function when running windows pe.
    example of this, make a recovery drive boot from the drive press control plus windows plus enter narrator does not work.
    thanks for considdering my request

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Please speak the keyboard typing in your tutorials of microsoft virtual academy.

.Microsoft virtual academy is a very useful service for learning. But the blind people cannot understand it easily. I request you to speak keyboard commands and typing on the keyboard. Thanks

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Bring back Version 1607 Display Setting settings in Advanced To Help Visually Impaired

The advanced display settings have been removed from Windows Version 1703. These include: "Clear Type Text" settings and "Advanced Sizing of Text and Other Items" settings. Version 1607 had these settings. Please bring them back to help accommodate the visually impaired. The Clear Type Settings help you to read the ext in a darker type. The Advance Sizing settings help to improve reading the title bars, Menus, message Boxes, pallete titles, Icon, and tool tips text, as you could increase the font size and add bolding to the text. I really miss these features and implore you to bring them…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Restore the Improve Text, Font Size functions in the display settings

I am visually impaired and suffer from Macular Degeneration and diabetic retinopathy. Dell Computer had me reload my windows operation system yesterday in order to correct a problem that was using 99% to 100% of my disk drive, slowing down my computer and causing continual freezes. I was using Window Home version 1607. One the reload of the Window was complete I was using Windows version 1703.

This version eliminates certain text enhancements I used to better be able to read text. It made text darker and increased the font size and allowed me to bold menu and tools fonts,…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Rick,

We’ve seen many request like this cross our forum. This is something that is in work. we’ll follow up with the product team to see if we can get any specifics with regards to bringing that back.

Thank you fo contacting us, and if there’s something else we can do for you, please feel free to reach out.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team.

15. 11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us with your feature request. we are currently investigating on how to impliment this and will keep you up to date as far as the progress made.

Thank you for contacting us, and if there is anything further we can do, please feel free to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk tearm.

16. I'm an ATP working with people with complex physical access needs. Can we please have Switch Access to Windows added to Ease of Access?!

While we all love Eye Control and the potential for unlocking people's Access to their computers, Switch and Scan is still a very common method for many users with significant physical disabilities for whom eye gaze technology is not suitable . It's also present and well executed in MacOSX , iOS, and recent Android builds - please add integrated Switch Access to the Ease of Access Center !

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Implement scanning access for switch users to Windows please.

While the new Eye Control is a game changer for many people with physical access difficulties, it doesn't necessarily t work for folk that may need switch access through the OS. Currently only third party programs can do this via floating onscreen keyboards (ACAT, Grid 3, Communicator 5) - but a more elegant and robust solution would be to allow access directly to OS UI elements. An alternative might be to implement a basic and customisable onscreen keyboard in Ease of Access that allowed interaction with Windows (perhaps even bring ACAT radar mouse control into Win10?.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Windows Speech Recognition (SAPI) does not shut down properly on Windows 10. I suggest you fix this bug :)

How to replicate said issue:

I have placed a shortcut for starting Windows Speech Recognition on my Desktop.

Shortcut copied from C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessibility\Windows Speech Recognition

• Click the shortcut to start Windows Speech Recognition

• Open Start

• Close Start

• Close Windows Speech Recognition

• Click the shortcut to Windows Speech Recognition

Windows Speech Recognition won’t open. Looking at Task Manager you’ll see Speech Recognition still running.

If you open Start, you’ll see Speech Recognition disappearing from Task Manager and you are able to open Windows Speech Recognition again.

This odd bug is somehow tied to the Start menu.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Windows Speech Recognition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Add the ability for Narrator to play sounds instead of speaking formatting information.

Narrator, at this time, uses spoken prompts to describe formatting. This requires more ability to parse information than print-reading people need to. Print readers don't hear "this is a bold test end bold." They see the bolded word or phrase. The blind should have the same experience, or as close as possible. There are two ways this may be achieved. Sounds for different formatting information may be played, but over time these may become confusing to the blind user as to what exactly is going on with the font if the sounds are too similar. The other option is the…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Windows Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Natural sounding voices

If you could have more natural sounding voices for ease of access options. I am a college student, and I have difficulties with learning if I cant hear it and read it and see it, I struggle. When the voices sound synthesized and computerized, I can't focus at all i can only focus on the voice and how irritating it sounds not to be rude at all. But it is almost like nails on a chalkboard and affects me worse than not having the read-aloud option.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Windows Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base