Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Welcome to Microsoft’s Accessibility Feedback forum. We are very interested in learning more about what products, features, and tools will delight our customers. Please share your ideas with us and remember to vote for ideas posted by others that you also think are great.

If you accidentally came here in need of technical support, please reach out to our Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team

I suggest you ...

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Can you PLEASE make it possible to adjust ALL fonts EVERYWHERE in the system? As well as adjust scroll bars. TY

I am a user with visual impairments, while as an academic I rely highly on text. The option that Windows picked now is to allow me to use my old High Contrast settings in terms of colours (through a previously saved theme from Windows 7), but not have the adjusted fonts (scroll bars, taskbar icons etc) all over the system. This does not make sense and is profoundly ableist. This has been a complain for YEARS in the community in terms of inaccessibility, and it is something that should be fairly easily solvable.

It shouldnt be necessary to use the…

5 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Changing braille display drivers needs to be more intuitive, if needed at all to start with.

When I tried adding my Freedomscientific braille display to be used with Narrator, I followed the directions in Narrator's user guide chapter 7:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4004263/windows-10-narrator-using-with-braille

In this article, after updating the driver through Device Manager, it states in step 7:

Choose the driver that begins with LibUSB-Win32 from the list on the following page and select Next to install the driver.

I don't see a "next page" to be able to select this. After doing all steps up to step 7, I'm then returned to my device manager, and placed back under the Freedomscientific USB node which still is expanded with…

5 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Make users more informed about File Explorer's Quick Access Toolbar

The fact that almost any File Explorer Ribbon toolbar button, or group of buttons, be right-clicked and added to Quick Access Toolbar is poorly communicated.

I discovered this by accident a month ago, and the Ribbon has been around since Win8.0. Previously I thought the Q-A-T was limited to only the few button choices which appear under it's drop-down-menu at the end of the toolbar.

Tired of constantly changing to the different 'ribbon tabs' (Home, View) for different features, my Quick Access Toolbar currently looks like this:

http://imageshack.com/a/img923/3060/OsOzTW.png

5 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Voice commands for teachers

integrated voice commands in Windows 10 using Cortana, not just for accessibility but broader use, as a teacher would like to walk into a room and say, "Cortana, On Screen" then a series of events would happen to project device screen to front of the room. Say "Cortana, Blank Screen" to hide screen, in classroom say "Cortana, Show Billy's Screen" and so on. Would be many other uses for Cortana commandlets for the Internet of Things.

5 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

• The Alarms & Clock app

The Alarms & Clock app should be immediately familiar if you’ve ever used a smartphone. It allows you to set alarms, use a world clock, and has a timer and stopwatch functionality integrated. It goes without saying that this universal app would probably be most useful on a smartphone or smaller tablet, but it’s still available and included on the desktop.

5 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• fix narrator in spanish

When using narrator in Spanish, you cannot write properly because when it is On, the keyboard does not recognize accent marks, having to use Ascii in order to write well.

5 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

Thank you for the feedback.

After installing the Anniversary update for Windows 10, do you still have an issue with Narrator and Spanish keyboards?

If so, we will need to troubleshoot more to get to a point that we can understand what to address.

Please contact eh Disability Answer Desk to work this issue further if desired. You can find contact info at http://support.microsoft.com/answerdesk/accessibility

• 5 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Make Office Ribbon keystrokes more logical and consistent

I appreciate some office keystrokes have been changed to keep backwards compatibility (eg alt+i was the Office 2003 insert menu so it was changed to alt+n for Office 2007), but many of the current keystrokes are just nonsensical. For instance, in Word, to change columns, you press alt+p for layout (even though alt+L isn't used) then press J for columns, even though C isn't used.

On the Insert menu, you press F to insert an Online picture and O to insert a footnote - even though they would make much more sense swapped.

There is also no logic as to…

5 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Windows 10 Backup drive selection appears white on white in dark mode

In Windows 10 Backup (WINDOWS+i then update and security then backup). When "Add a drive" is chosen, a menu appears with all attached suitable backup drives. If Windows "app mode" is set to dark (Settings - personalisation - colors - choose an app mode), then the list of backup drives appears white on white.

5 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add an autoscroll or autopan feature for braille displays.

When braille support is introduced into Narrator, I would like to have an automatic scrolling or panning mode. This would make it easier to read long passages of content without having to constantly press the scroll button on the display to scroll to the next line of braille. This feature could be further enhanced by customizable time intervals for the display to scroll. For example, have the display scroll after 3 seconds, 5 seconds, 10 seconds, etc. This would let the user customize how quickly the refreshes occur.

5 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Narrator won't let me review form fields in edge

When typing into the edit boxes on this page or any other pages, I can't navigate character by character with Narrator or move by any other element. It also doesn't announce what I'm backspacing over.

5 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Mike,

Thank you for contacting us about these issues. We are aware that Narrator and some of the other screen readers are having problems working with Edge. Our product teams are working hard to resolve these problems.

We will forward this on to the product team and update you when this issue is fixed.

Again, thank you for contacting us; and if there is anything else we can assist you with, feel free to reach out.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability answer Desk team.

• Make speech recognition (and cortana?) be able to work with different language than default windows....

Apparently, speech recognition wont work if I have a default windows language other than the supported ones. I cannot have for example Swedish as default windows language and speak English US with speech recognition..... I hope you fix this asap.....:-)

5 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Give users the ability to create their own Narrator voices.

I don't know what all goes into voices for Narrator, but it would be pretty neat if users could somehow create their own if that's even possible. This would be a perfect feature for the focus on creating in this latest Windows update.

5 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Stefen,

You may be corect. based on what is known about the application and how it works, this may indeed be impossible to impliment. However, I will follow up with the product manager and let you know what that anwer is.

Thank you for reaching out to us about this.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team.

• Touch screen needs a tweak to be a perfect keyboard for Repetitive Strain Injury.

The tablet touch keyboard is almost a perfect solution to repetitive strain injury. Needs a tweak!
                              Currently I am using one screen to type on, and 2nd monitor to use as the monitor. The touch keyboard keeps jumping to the active window rather than staying put on the screen below my fingers.
                              I have a MS Surface. I plug a 2nd monitor into it. I fold back the physical keyboard and type on the surface screen like a tablet. I have the external monitor in front of me with a Word document on it that I'm editing.
                              I should work…

5 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Bring back screen reader access to tags in OneNote 2016

Tags in OneNote 2016 are small icons that help someone identify different types of information in their notebooks. Some examples are important, questions, to-do items, definitions, contacts etc. Back in OneNote 2010, these tags were accessible for screen readers. Unfortunately, they are completely invisible to screen readers in OneNote 2016. Please bring them back!

5 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• The scan mode ought to switch on or off automatically depending on input field, e.g. switching off scan mode when encountering editable fiel

The scan mode ought to switch on or off automatically depending on input field, e.g. switching off scan mode when encountering editable field. I prefer Narrator handling web pages as is handled by System Access screen reader.

5 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

THank you for contacting us about this issue. We will forward this to the product manager in charge of Narrator to see if we can get a fix implimented for you.

One question: Are you experinencing this with only one browser such as IE 11 or Edge?

Again, thank you for reaching out to us about this as it’s our missionto help those with disabilities use our products more effectively.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team.

• Bring back the detailed theme customization Win95 style

I'm missing the ability to fine tune appearance of system the way it was possible in Win95 and earlier versions. Both desktop and Store apps should be influenced by my settings

5 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • In edge, Narrator should take you to where you were on the previous page when performing the back command by pressing backspace. It should

Currently, Narrator doesn't take you back to where you were on a webpage when going back to the previous page. For example, follow a link in this forum, then go back. Focus should return to the link you were on before going to the new page.

5 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Have narrator announce end of document or end of email instead of just saying down arrow all the time.

Have narrator announce end of document or end of list Instead of just down arrow or right arrow all the time. Have narrator

5 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

This indeed is a bug and shoudl announce the end of adocument and or email. We’ll forward this on our product team and update you when a fix is announced.

Thank you for contacting us, and if there is anything further we can assist you with, please feel free to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

• Narrator says "Command unavailable when trying to silence the reading of tooltips behind links

When Navigating between pages in edge, Narrator will read tooltips behind links such as the url of the link. I press control to silence this and Narrator will say "Command unavailable.

5 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Mike,

Thank you for contacting us about these issues. We are aware that Narrator and some of the other screen readers are having problems working with Edge. Our product teams are working hard to resolve these problems.

We will forward this on to the product team and update you when this issue is fixed.

Again, thank you for contacting us; and if there is anything else we can assist you with, feel free to reach out.

Sincerely,

• Don't see your idea?

Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Feedback and Knowledge Base