Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Welcome to Microsoft’s Accessibility Feedback forum. We are very interested in learning more about what products, features, and tools will delight our customers. Please share your ideas with us and remember to vote for ideas posted by others that you also think are great.

If you accidentally came here in need of technical support, please reach out to our Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team

I suggest you ...

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Visual Studio 2015 modeling projects should be accessible for screen reader users

IT professionals live in a highly visual workplace. Therefore, modeling projects and UML have a high priority in the workplace. It isn't enough for screen reader users to have an alternative method for creating UML diagrams or modeling projects that take 5 times longer than their sighted peers. Instead, we need to work at the same speed and level as our sighted peers. Making visual designers and projects accessible for us would improve our chances at getting a job. The following components in Visual Studio need this type of work: modeling projects, architecture designer, the asp.net webforms designer, the WPF…

5 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • PowerPoint Read Aloud

I am unable to find a way just to get the whole PowerPoint read to me. Thanks.

5 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Les,

Thank you for reaching out to us about your issue. In order to help you out effectively, can you provide us with the following:

What version of PowerpOint are you using? Is it a part of Office 2016, or Office 365 online?

What screen reader are you using in order to read the presentations?

Also, what are the steps to reproduce your problem in detail?

We look forward to assisiting you with your issue; and in the future, if there is anything else we can help you with, please feel free to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

TheMicrosoft Disability Asnwer Desk team.

• The button option in the creators update for narrator is missing from the on-screen gestures list.

Can you please fix the new button option for narrator and the creators build. It is currently missing from the Touch screen gestures list in narrator.

5 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Inconsistent behavior of "j" ribbon shortcut keys in Word

When you are in the header or footer area of Word 2016, there is an extra ribbon available for header and footer design. The shortcut key for this is listed as "JH", but it works differently depending on the context:

- If you press alt+j together and there is no table or image in your header, it jumps straight into the ribbon, in which case "h" then activates the "header" drop down on the ribbon.
          - If you press alt+j together and DO have a table or image in your header, you then need to press "h" as tables and…

5 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Math OCR

Auto generate alt text for math text images (cloud API should return output in one of the following formats text or mathML or latex)

5 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Neil,

Thank you for reaching out to us about your suggestion. In order to help you out further, what operating system and application are you wanting to use the math OCR capability with? Is this to be used with any adaptive technologies like Narrator, Jaws, dolphin, etc.? This would help me do some additional research for you and get this suggestion in front of the right engineering team.

Again, thank you for contacting us; and if we can be of help in the future, please don’t hesitate to post again.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team.

• 5 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Side scroll bars need a resizing action for users with nerve damaged hands.

I have moderately damaged nerves in my right wrist that cause my 3 fingers on my hand to be drawn inward like a hook. On top of that, whenever I use that hand, I have micro spasms that give little jerking motions to my hand while trying to use a mouse which gives me limited control over the mouse pointer. Due to the spasming, smaller items are very difficult to use. Since the side scroll bars have been narrowed in your products, it is extremely difficult to use them with my condition. Adding a sizing function to allow widening the…

5 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Lester,

Thank you for your input on this. We will forward this to one of our product managers to see if we can facilitate a solution for you regarding scroll bar size. Once we have more information, we’ll get back to you with further information.

Thank you for reaching out to us and if in the future we can be of further assistance, don’t hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

• 5 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Move focus from the message list to the message body after selecting a message within Outlook for Android

Currently when selecting a message from the Focused Inbox within Outlook for Android version 2.1.116, focus remains on the item in the list when using the app with the BrailleNote Touch. While the Touch does have a touchscreen and supports gestures, the primary navigation paradigm with the Touch is linearly using keyboard commands. When a message is activated from the list, focus should move to the message body. Currently users have to scroll/swipe past all of the messages in the list in order to locate the contents of the message they opened.

5 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us about the issue you’re having. Can you tell us is if you’ve been able to change the focus to the message body without the BrailleNote Touch?

Thank you for contacting us. We look forward to solving your issues and answering your questions.

Sincerely,

• Improve names of options in Word (eg themes, page number options etc)

In Word 2016, many features have non-descriptive options. For insance, when you choose page numbers then top or bottom of screen, the first few options are "Plain number 1", "Plain number 2", "Plain number 3" etc. Without looking at the image (which not all users can do), there is no way to tell that the third one is actually right aligned. Using a screen reader there is also no way to tell which ones are "Page X", and which are "Page X of Y" etc. It's also very hard to get any idea what the different header and footer styles…

4 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• set names and colors on edge tabs, for accessibility and productivity.

Double click a edge tab and set a name and color, it would make it easier to tell what tab is what you need and help both disabled and enabled to do more.

4 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Bless U

God Bless U...Self explanatory.

4 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Improve the way Word files open with Voiceover

When I open an existing Word file, the Voiceover cursor is on the document layout area. To get to the text, I need to interact, then interact again, before Voiceover says “in edit text”.

And if the document has headers, I need to interact, which takes me to the header area, then move down to the text, then interact again.

Would it be possible, when opening a file, to start with the Voiceover cursor on the text area? This is probably where most users want to be when they open a file – ready to start reading or typing.

I…

4 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Mark,

Thank you for contacting us at the Disability Answer Desk with your suggestions. we appreciate the time and detail you’ve put into them. We will forward this on to our product managers for further consideration and will get back to you when a fix and or implementation for these features is in place.

Thank you again for contacting us, and if there is anything further we can do for you, please feel free o reach out to us again.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability answer Desk team.

• 4 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Create new Outlook rule action to "Show an envelope icon in the taskbar" for individual mailbox accounts

Please create new Outlook rule action option to "Show an envelope icon in the taskbar" for individual mailbox accounts.

4 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• allow screen reader audio to be passed through skype for business

We have a use case where we have geographically dispersed teams working on websites with developers in one site and accessibility staff in another.
                                  We currently use skype for business for screen sharing has largely been successful however the accessibility team is wondering if SfB can pass through screen reader audio to the remote end (developers) in order for the developers to experience what the accessibility team does when using a screen reader – explaining the behavior of the screen readers would be much easier if the screen readers audio is passed through.

4 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• MAKE AN ACCESSIBLE VERSION OF CREATING AN ACCOUNT TO GET ACCESS TO ONLINE HELP. tHE LETTERS TO PROVE YOU ARE NO A ROBOT ARE TINY-

MAKE AN ACCESSIBLE VERSION OF CREATING AN ACCOUNT TO GET ACCESS TO ONLINE HELP. tHE LETTERS TO PROVE YOU ARE NOt A ROBOT ARE TINY- GIVEN THAT THE AREA IS SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT ACCESS... DID YOU FORGET BILND PEOPLE??

4 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Richard,

Thank you for making us aware of this issue with User Voice. We just met with them in regards to helping them become more accessible to users, especially since we are using them as one of our Microsoft venders. Thus we will forward this on to them for remediation.

Is this occurring when you are trying to sign up for a UserVoice account or getting help on another Microsoft forum? If elsewhere, can you tell us specifically?

If there is anything else that we can be of service for, please let us know.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk.

• Make high contrast theme window border colors customizable

When you enable high contrast themes the window border colors should be customizable. I don't want to be forever stuck with royal blue, cyan blue or dark purple window borders. Also, add a few more colors to the color picker.

4 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Liahna,

Thank you for contacting us about this suggestion. I believe this is a part of some of the contrast customization upgrades that are coming in a futre release. I’m checking with one of the product managers to confirm this and will get back to you with any updates.

Tahk you for contacting us, and in the future, if there is something else we can do for you, please reach out to us.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability answer Desk team.

• Ability to export Narrator customized settings and keyboard commands

Narrator is supported in more than 20 languages, however there are many others where Narrator is not supported. It means, that some keyboard commands should be changed manualy if we wanted Narrator to work. examples are Narrator key +brackets. In Slovenian keyboard layout we must press ctrl + alt +f/g or alt(gr) +f/g to type square brackets.
                                        If you have only one computer, it will be easy to customise a Narrator but if you had more than five, this procedure would become very frustrated.
                                        so until Narrator has not been supported and localised to Slovenian and other languages, I suggest…

4 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us about this suggestion. We will forward this to our product manager as we are making efforts to incorporate functionality with more and more languages.

Again, thank you for contacting us, and in the future, if we can be of further assistance, please feel free to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

• Add an Outlook profile flag for users who need accessible e-mails

Allow users to self identify via their Outlook/Exchange profile that they need accessible e-mail sent to them.
                                          This would notify senders when the receiver has flagged that they need to receive e-mail in an accessible format and would prompt the sender to run the accessibility checker on their message and attachments before sending the message to the receiver who self identified via their profile.

4 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Cory,

This is an interesting suggestion in that it does make sense to alert the recipient of the fact that a disabled person is emailing them and needs some compensation to see a replied email. The tricky thing is that not all users use Microsoft products for email correspondence. Thus iin order to make this universal, there may have to be something implemented into the email protocols such as IMAP, SMTP or POP protocols.

However, this will be forwarded to the appropriate project manager to get additional feedback on this suggestion.

Thank you for reaching out to us; and if you have any further issues or suggestions related to accessibility, please let us know.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk Team.

• Don't see your idea?

Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Feedback and Knowledge Base