Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Welcome to Microsoft’s Accessibility Feedback forum. We are very interested in learning more about what products, features, and tools will delight our customers. Please share your ideas with us and remember to vote for ideas posted by others that you also think are great.

If you accidentally came here in need of technical support, please reach out to our Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team

I suggest you ...

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Change Outlook color schemes

The color scheme in Outlook 2016 does not provide enough contrast for some features, such as highlighting out of office or busy days. This is especially true for the "dark grey" office theme - where the ooo days show up as a whiter shade against a light grey background - impossible to see in the month view. Getting away from the pastel colors would help.

9 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the Disability Answer Desk. This is something that we are currently working on and investigating solutions to improve contrast themes in our software. Our Project Managers are aware of this and we will get back to you as soon as there are more details available.

Again, thank you for reaching out to us. And if in the future, you have further issues, questions, or comments, please let us know.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk Team.

• Change initial keyboard focus on page load in IE11

When loading any web page that does not have explicit initial focus, IE 11 starts the keyboard focus out of the webpage. This means that when a user presses TAB key for the first time, the focus goes to the address bar instead of the first item on the webpage. This means that a user not using a mouse (keyboard only) must tab through the address bar, top tab, Home button, and any toolbars before getting to the page content. Many users with disabilities cannot use a mouse for various reasons. Thus a keyboard-only user must TAB through Five or…

19 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello Joseph,

Thanks for the detailed report along with the steps to reproduce the problem.

However, I have navigated to http://www.microsoft.com and cannot reproduce the issue you are reporting.

When I land on that page, then press tab for the first time, I am taken to the Skip to main content link and not to the address bar.

I am running Windows 10 Version 1607 OS Build 14393.321. I also use the JAWS screen reader.

• 11 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Neil,

Thank you for getting in touch with us with your suggestion.

I understand that you want to see more user controls over Windows 7 themes. Can you provide us some additional detail with regards to what you are looking for, such as what elements you would like to see more control over and what that may look like (i.e. additional colors, user customization of colors for specific elements, etc.)?

Again, thank you for your comment as it’s very valuable to us to make our products more accessible to the disabled community.

Sincerely,

Erik Stearns
          Accessibility Escalation Engineer

• Improve accessibility of the visualstudio.com website

The www.visualstudio.com website is poorly designed for screen reader users. At best it is confusing, cluttered, and focuses on too many tasks at the same time. In fact, some functionality is unavailable to a screen reader user such as allowing external access to a project.

6 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

• 4 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello Kay,

Thank you for reaching out to us with your suggestion. In order to help you further, we would like some more specifics as to what you looking for. As you may no, with Word and PowerPoint, that there are ribbons that are dedicated to shapes. Now there is a way to set up macros that will produce the same effct of what you’re generally looking for. However, I’m gathering that this would be too cumbersome. So is it safe to assume that you’re looking for actual hardware to handle this functionality? If that’s the case, can you give us more specifics as to what the dificulties you’re encountering are and what you want to see, so we can investigate this further?

Again, thank you for reaching out to us with your suggestion. It’s our mission to help those with verious disabilities to access our products with greater ease…

• Focusable elements should fire focus event / receive :focus styling when they receive Narrator/accessibility focus

This issue relates to a current inconsistency among different AT, particularly evident on touchscreen devices. See https://patrickhlauke.github.io/touch/tests/results/#mobile-tablet-touchscreen-assistive-technology-events / https://twitter.com/patrick_h_lauke/status/788496138966106112

In iOS/VoiceOver/Safari, when a focusable element (link, button...but some special casing seems to happen for text entry fields and similar) receives VO focus, the JavaScript focus event is fired and CSS :focus styles apply. In most other OS/AT/browser combinations, this is currently not the case - accessibility focus does not trigger focus() / :focus.

This has been brought up in the past with Mozilla with regards to Android/TalkBack/Firefox (xref https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1000082) and just now with Google for Android/TalkBack/Chrome (xref https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=657157)

11 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Create a tutorial on creating accessible Power Point templates

There is a lot of information on the web about creating accessible power point presentations. Unfortunately, there seems to be little information on creating accessible power point templates. I would like to have a guideline on how to create accessible power point templates that I could provide to our department that creates our corporate templates. In a corporate environment, many templates exist which contain corporate color schemes and logos, customized for various departments, with little regard to accessibility.

As a screen reader user, I attempted to transform one of my company's Power Point templates into one that was accessible. I…

3 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Tim,

This is a very good suggestion. We’ve had simular issues regarding PowerPoint and screen readers before. We’ll forward your concern to the product manager and get back with you as to any future updates for this fix.

Thank you for reaching out to us, and if there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to get in contact with us.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability answer Desk team.

• PowerPoint Read Aloud

I am unable to find a way just to get the whole PowerPoint read to me. Thanks.

2 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Les,

Thank you for reaching out to us about your issue. In order to help you out effectively, can you provide us with the following:

What version of PowerpOint are you using? Is it a part of Office 2016, or Office 365 online?

What screen reader are you using in order to read the presentations?

Also, what are the steps to reproduce your problem in detail?

We look forward to assisiting you with your issue; and in the future, if there is anything else we can help you with, please feel free to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

TheMicrosoft Disability Asnwer Desk team.

• Side scroll bars need a resizing action for users with nerve damaged hands.

I have moderately damaged nerves in my right wrist that cause my 3 fingers on my hand to be drawn inward like a hook. On top of that, whenever I use that hand, I have micro spasms that give little jerking motions to my hand while trying to use a mouse which gives me limited control over the mouse pointer. Due to the spasming, smaller items are very difficult to use. Since the side scroll bars have been narrowed in your products, it is extremely difficult to use them with my condition. Adding a sizing function to allow widening the…

3 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Lester,

Thank you for your input on this. We will forward this to one of our product managers to see if we can facilitate a solution for you regarding scroll bar size. Once we have more information, we’ll get back to you with further information.

Thank you for reaching out to us and if in the future we can be of further assistance, don’t hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team.

• 7 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello Matt,

Thank you for contacting us about your suggestion. In a way that makes sense to have a screen curtain for your Android device like the one that is found in Apple products.

I’ve submitted your feature request to one of our Product Managers for further review. we’ll post updates here as soon as further details become available.

In the meantime, one thing you can do is dim your screen all the way down as that would make it harder for others to read – especially at an angle.

Again, thank you for contacting us about this, and we will endeavor to resolve all issues that are raised.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk.

• Add options to customize the Narrator views.

When using capslock up and down arrows, there are some items in the list that I don't use. It would be helpful if there was a settings screen with a list of all the elements that could be toggled on or off. This would declutter the list and make it easier to use by removing rarely used commands. I'd personally use this to remove such things as landmarks as I never use that navigation setting.

6 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

01/02/2017 [v-erstea]

Hello Chris,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the Disability ANswer Desk on the User Voice Forum. This is an interesting feature request and makes a lot of sense considering that verbosity settings are found on comparable products. I will contact the product manager for Narrator and follow up with him to see if this is something that is planned for a future release. Once I have an answer back, I’ll follow up with an update with regards to your suggestion.

Thank you again for contacting us about this.

Sincerely,

• Microsoft really sucks, at least windows 2000 and XP had wonderful beautiful benefits for people who can not see well. I could select they

Microsoft really sucks, at least windows 2000 and XP had wonderful beautiful benefits for people who can not see well. I could select they TYPE SIZE AND COLOR OF FONT AND BACK-GROUND COLOR... FOR JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING INCLUDING RIGHT MOUSE CLICK MENU ITEMS.
                          The olny way Microsoft is going to make it's software user friendly AGAIN for people who are legally blind, is for Microsoft to have someone with say 20/400 vision and like being in a swimming pool with eyes open and seeing 8 moons when you look up. Bill Gates should be ashamed of himself for hiring idiots…

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Michael,

We definately understand your concerns when it comes to ease of customizing cholor shcemes and font settings. We still do have some of that functionality through the Settings menues. However we will forward this to one of our product managers to see if the feature sets you mentioned can be brought back.

Thank your for reaching out to us, and if we may be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Sincereely,

• 3 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Put the font size & font color control back into Outlook!

Not everyone has 20-20 vision. Some people need to make the letters bigger in email. Light grey color on white back ground is a nightmare! Also, if you want to make a big improvement.... give us the option to change this awful WHITE back ground into a softer color, so it isn't so ******* the eyes. This is just awful.

11 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the Disability Answer Desk. This is something that we are currently working on and investigating solutions to improve contrast themes in our software. Our Project Managers are aware of this and we will get back to you as soon as there are more details available.

Again, thank you for reaching out to us. And if in the future, you have further issues, questions, or comments, please let us know.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk Team.

• Fix File Explorer not remembering it's position when closed and then reopened.

Problem Description:

File Explorer does not remember it's position, when it is closed and re-opened. Instead, it cascades to the right (as if it is a second instance of FE, when it is not.)

This behaviour should only happen if multiple instances of file explorer are open, assuming it is related to the 'cascading windows' setting. This needs fixing as soon as possible. It is a rediculous "feature" the helps nobody and infuriates many.

This only affects Win10 (Win8 and before always closed and reopened file explorer in the correct position). This problem can be reproduced every time Win10 is…

12 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Improve contrast/color schemes for Microsoft Office 2010 and newer

The ribbon menus need another option that provides more contrast and easier to see icons for Low-Vision users. The current shades of gray, and small size are very frustrating for our low-vision students. We really miss the Office 2003 menu styles and color schemes which provided greater contrast.

27 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Cheryl,

Thank you for contacting us at the disability Answer Desk with this concern. We are currently tacking this concern as it’s been brought up concerning some of our other products. In the meantime, we are following up with our Product Managers to get an ETA of when a solution will be implemented. When we receive more information, we will post it here first.

Thank you again for reaching out to us for your accessibility related concerns.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer desk Team.

• Windows 10 Backup drive selection appears white on white in dark mode

In Windows 10 Backup (WINDOWS+i then update and security then backup). When "Add a drive" is chosen, a menu appears with all attached suitable backup drives. If Windows "app mode" is set to dark (Settings - personalisation - colors - choose an app mode), then the list of backup drives appears white on white.

5 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Use background color to distinguish buttons in high-contrast themes

The default high-contrast themes do not make use of the option to set a background color for buttons. Instead, they rely on the fact that default button styling includes a border, and set that border to the button text color. Buttons are thereby visually distinguished as text surrounded by a border. Some of the default high-contrast themes also use a different text color for buttons, but not all.

This creates a problem when these styles are applied to websites in MS Edge. Many modern websites do not use border styles on buttons, instead relying on the background color, rounded corners,…

7 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Make shapes accessible to keyboard users in Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc

Currently, in Office programs, when shapes are added to a document:

Word: alt+n, sh, then choose a shape.
                                        Excel: alt+n, zi,sh, then choose a shape.

The shapes themselves are identified, which is great, but as soon as you choose one, you need to use the mouse to insert it.

Many screen readers provide a way of partly manipulating the mouse (eg press numpad slash to left click with NVDA), it is impossible to accurately position the item and resize it. Please include the ability to use the keyboard to accomplish this.

11 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Jaws under windows 10, there is a known bug with how Windows is reporting colors to jaws not allowing Jaws users to assign screen highlights

With Jaws under windows 10, there is a known bug with how Windows is reporting colors to jaws not allowing Jaws users to assign screen highlights reliably like we were able to do in windows 7. Freedom scientific states that they are working with you guys on this issue, but are still waiting for MS to provide a fix. For those of us who are using screen readers, windows 7 provides more reliable accessibility then windows 10. I am hopeful that MS will work with the developers of screen readers to provide better accessibility in Windows 10 with screen readers…

6 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Gian,

Thank you for reachingout to us about this issue. After doing some preliminary investigation, we could not find the issue refrenced as being passed to us by freedom Scientific. Therefore we need more details.

Can you provide us with the environment you’re using, JASWS version, Windows Version, Applicaion you’re finding this bug most with, and steps to reproduce the problem? THis would be a help inresolving your issue as soon as possible.

Thank you,

← Previous 1 3
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Feedback and Knowledge Base