Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Welcome to Microsoft’s Accessibility Feedback forum. We are very interested in learning more about what products, features, and tools will delight our customers. Please share your ideas with us and remember to vote for ideas posted by others that you also think are great.

If you accidentally came here in need of technical support, please reach out to our Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team

I suggest you ...

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Alt+Tab with Narrator is not smooth.

When alt+tab is pressed, I expect to hear the program name I switched to.

Instead, I hear one of "Running Programs", "Running Applications" or
    "Task Switching", depending on how many times I press tab.
    After I hear one of these, I then hear the name of the program. I suggest trying to make this a bit more seemless.

19 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Windows 10 should have built in access for switch interface users

macOS, iOS, and Android have had this for a long time.

5 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hllo C. A.

We did some research and came up with the following:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Accessibility/windows – doesn’t have anything directly about switch interface devices, but the AT link lists Tobii Dynavox as a product that has application compatibility with Windows 10.

Currently we are working to ensure third party assistive technology partners are fully supported on Windows 10.

If you have a device you prefer to use, let us know and we can work with that partner on any functionality issues you find.

Thank you for contacting us, and if there’s something else that you need, please feel free to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team.

• Add options to customize the Narrator views.

When using capslock up and down arrows, there are some items in the list that I don't use. It would be helpful if there was a settings screen with a list of all the elements that could be toggled on or off. This would declutter the list and make it easier to use by removing rarely used commands. I'd personally use this to remove such things as landmarks as I never use that navigation setting.

6 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

01/02/2017 [v-erstea]

Hello Chris,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the Disability ANswer Desk on the User Voice Forum. This is an interesting feature request and makes a lot of sense considering that verbosity settings are found on comparable products. I will contact the product manager for Narrator and follow up with him to see if this is something that is planned for a future release. Once I have an answer back, I’ll follow up with an update with regards to your suggestion.

Thank you again for contacting us about this.

Sincerely,

• Add the ability to use insert or caps lock in Narrator

I'd like to see an option under Narrator's general settings pane to use caps lock, numpad insert or extended insert as the Narrator modifyer key. For some reason, I'm finding that only using caps lock as modifyer to be a bit wonky. Indeed, I'm coming from Jaws and NVDA, so this may be a newby's foyble, but this would make my transition that much more smooth.

12 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello,

THis is an interesting request. It makes sense in that it would make the transition from JAWS or NVDA easier for users. We’ll pass this on to our product team and let you know when this becomes available.

Thank you for your input; and in the future, if you have any issues, questions, or concerns, please feel free to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

• Change Outlook color schemes

The color scheme in Outlook 2016 does not provide enough contrast for some features, such as highlighting out of office or busy days. This is especially true for the "dark grey" office theme - where the ooo days show up as a whiter shade against a light grey background - impossible to see in the month view. Getting away from the pastel colors would help.

15 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the Disability Answer Desk. This is something that we are currently working on and investigating solutions to improve contrast themes in our software. Our Project Managers are aware of this and we will get back to you as soon as there are more details available.

Again, thank you for reaching out to us. And if in the future, you have further issues, questions, or comments, please let us know.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk Team.

• Add the ability for Narrator to automatically read the contents of dialogue boxes and notifications from Action Center.

When a dialogue box opens, Narrator only reads the first control that gains focus. While it's possible to use the Narrator cursor to read the text in the dialogue, I would like an option to specify whether Narrator automatically reads the contents of these dialogues when they appear. Along the same lines, I'd also like to see automatic reading of notifications when they are received. Currently, I hear a little **** sound when something new pops up. I have to go into the action center and manually view the alert. It would be nice to be told what the notification…

10 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Narrator says "Command unavailable when trying to silence the reading of tooltips behind links

When Navigating between pages in edge, Narrator will read tooltips behind links such as the url of the link. I press control to silence this and Narrator will say "Command unavailable.

6 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Mike,

Thank you for contacting us about these issues. We are aware that Narrator and some of the other screen readers are having problems working with Edge. Our product teams are working hard to resolve these problems.

We will forward this on to the product team and update you when this issue is fixed.

Again, thank you for contacting us; and if there is anything else we can assist you with, feel free to reach out.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability answer Desk team.

• Have more in-store workshops related to accessibility

I go to my local Microsoft store a lot and wish there were more frequent events related to the accessibility features of Microsoft products that I could attend and learn from.

8 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

Thank you for your suggestion and feedback. Here are a couple of links that can provide some training for using some Microsoft products for users of accessible technology.
                    The first link below points to products older than Windows 10and Office 2016,; however, we are working hard to updates this information to include our latest products.

Accessibility Tutorials for Microsoft Products
                    https://www.microsoft.com/enable/training/default.aspx

Accessibility in Office 365 – Office 365
                    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Accessibility-in-Office-365-aca7accf-58a0-4467-be5c-24a7e7933a9d?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US
                    I will make sure the right people receive your feedback with regards to more training in the retail stores.

• Improve Windows Ink Workspace

First off add multiple monitor support. Currently, when you hit the Ink Workspace button, the app will only open on your 'main' monitor. There seems to be no way to sketch on anything on the second monitor connected. You can do this with the Snipping Tool provided by Windows so why use Ink Workspace???

2nd, please add the ability to adjust the ruler without touch support? Maybe I'm missing something but I cant seem to figure out how to move the ruler from its initial position. I am guessing you need to use multi-touch gestures to maneuver the ruler which…

10 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Mike,

Thank you for reaching out to us on this issue. Currently, I’m reaching out to some of the product owners of Windows Ink to do additional background research to see if we can give you a solution to your issue. In the meantime, if you have further information to offer to help us further assist you, you are more than welcome to post additional comments on the forum.

As always we are here to assist those who have disabilities in using our products as each and every person is a valued customer.

Again, thank you for your posting and we we’ll get back to you with updates as soon as they made available to us.

Sincerely, the Microsoft Disability Answer Desk.

• 5 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• In the Word 2016 spell checker, could we please use the new hotkeys, such as Spacebar with C or Spacebar with I while focussed in the list o

It would be great to be able to use the new hotkeys such as SpaceBar with C or Spacebar with I while still focussed in the list of suggestions. Having to tab away from the list to use these hotkeys is a real productivity killer, because, often the correct suggestion is third or fourth in the list, so we need to be able to use those hotkeys while focussed in the list of suggestions. Thanks.

3 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us abou your issue. In order to hehttps://microsoftaccessibility.uservoice.com/admin/forums/307429-microsoft-accessibility-feedback/suggestions/18954073-in-the-word-2016-spell-checker-could-we-please-us you, can you give us more detail as to your issue; specifically, what is the screen reader you are using?

Thank you aggian for getting in touch with us, and if there’s anything else we can do ro you, please feel free to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

• 3 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us about this issue. ALthough we handle isssues, questions, and comments with regards to disabled people using our products, we will find the development team to fix this.

With that said, can you please give us the details as to how you navigated to this borken link? What page or pages were you coming from?

Thanks again,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk Team.

• Windows 10 advanced startup options completely unusable if you use screen reader. This means you cannot boot in to the new accessible winre

There could be times when you want to boot in to winre even when windows starts normally. Maybe you have virus or something you can't uninstall. You have a clean backup of your system and to restore it you need to get in to winre. It seems there is no way of doing this if you use a screen reader because you have to go through the advanced startup options screen and it is totally unusable to people who use screen readers. Can we have some method of rebooting to winre that is accessible with a screen reader.

4 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

Thanks for contating us about your issue. Can you give us more information with regards to the scren reader you are using, including screen reader version and what specifically you are trying to do when rebooting the ystem.

Thanks for contacting us and letting us help you with your situation.

Sicnerely,

• Visual-Perceptual Deficit Templates for Word

I am an Occupational Therapist that works with many students with visual-perceptual problems but have "normal" visual acuity. These students need templates that keep their eyes from skipping over text and allow them to easily follow text as they type. There are a few basic designs that will assist students with this issue.

3 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Ability to change background colour in Office 2016

Office themes can be personalised in the options menu, however the background behind the pages or slides cannot be changed from the defaults of each theme. Being visually impaired I like a contrast between the white pages/slides and the background colour. I liked the silver in 2010, but in Office 2016 only the colourful office theme has the background colour I want, but I don't like the colourful theme at the top. Can you allow for more options to change just the background colour of Office apps so that the best contrast can be chosen.

3 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

Thank yo for contacting us with this suggestion. We weill look into this and give you updates as to where we are in the process of possible implimentation and when it’s avaialable.

If you have further questions, issues, or suggestions, please feel free to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

• Fix File Explorer not remembering it's position when closed and then reopened.

Problem Description:

File Explorer does not remember it's position, when it is closed and re-opened. Instead, it cascades to the right (as if it is a second instance of FE, when it is not.)

This behaviour should only happen if multiple instances of file explorer are open, assuming it is related to the 'cascading windows' setting. This needs fixing as soon as possible. It is a rediculous "feature" the helps nobody and infuriates many.

This only affects Win10 (Win8 and before always closed and reopened file explorer in the correct position). This problem can be reproduced every time Win10 is…

19 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • put an option to select and copy text from the web using narrator

other screen readers give you the option to select and copy text while you're browsing on a webpage. i think narrator should also include this featuree so that it becomes a fully featured screen reader.

4 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Restore the Improve Text, Font Size functions in the display settings

I am visually impaired and suffer from Macular Degeneration and diabetic retinopathy. Dell Computer had me reload my windows operation system yesterday in order to correct a problem that was using 99% to 100% of my disk drive, slowing down my computer and causing continual freezes. I was using Window Home version 1607. One the reload of the Window was complete I was using Windows version 1703.

This version eliminates certain text enhancements I used to better be able to read text. It made text darker and increased the font size and allowed me to bold menu and tools fonts,…

6 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Rick,

We’ve seen many request like this cross our forum. This is something that is in work. we’ll follow up with the product team to see if we can get any specifics with regards to bringing that back.

Thank you fo contacting us, and if there’s something else we can do for you, please feel free to reach out.

Sincerely,

• The ability to change my working background (in Word, Outlook and Excel)

Hi,
                                        I used to be able to change the colour of my background in the Personalisation option from the Desktop. It allowed me to choose any colour I liked for my page and text in Word, Outlook and Excel. It was wonderful and I used to share this feature with users I trained using AT since it was a free adaptation that made a huge difference.

I have always said, you would never spend all day looking at a bright white light, and yet we do, by looking at a bright white piece of paper in Word.

This is hugely…

11 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

Thanks for contacting us about this. We are currently looking into this and will give you updates on this as soon as made available.

In the meantime, have you tried the following as a potential solution?

Try these options for the user:

There are two ways to set high contrast to reduce eye-strain and improve readability. Please try one of these and let us know your feedback as to whether this resolved your issues or not.
                                          1. Office themes, a “mild mannered” solution, where you can choose a theme with better contrast
                                          a. Shortcut Press L Alt+ L Shift + Print Screen; talked about in: https://blogs.office.com/2016/05/19/accessibility-enhancements-in-office-365-for-people-with-vision-impairments/
                                          2. High contrast in Windows, the “real thing”, which they set in the Ease of Access center
                                          a. Turn high contrast mode on or off in Windows: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/ece8e1d7-1a7c-473c-a0f4-3c9d66fee295/turn-high-contrast-mode-on-or-off-in-windows

Sincerely,

• Add a Two Switch access mode for the On Screen Keyboard

Add a manual step scanning option for switch users, for those able to use two switches. E.g. Key1 = Manual step scan. Key2 = Select.

This would enable some users to use the slick On Screen Keyboard utility much more quickly and deliberately.

23 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello Barrie,

This is a pretty good suggestion which makes sense. We’ll forward this on to our product managers for further consideration and keep you up to date on any further developments around this.

Again, Thank you for reaching out to us; and if there’s anything else we can help with in the future, let us know as we’re willing to help.

Sincerely,

← Previous 1 3 4 5
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Feedback and Knowledge Base