Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Welcome to Microsoft’s Accessibility Feedback forum. We are very interested in learning more about what products, features, and tools will delight our customers. Please share your ideas with us and remember to vote for ideas posted by others that you also think are great.

If you accidentally came here in need of technical support, please reach out to our Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team

I suggest you ...

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Using Word for Mac with the Voiceover screen reader, the spell check needs several improvements

When using Word for Mac with the Voiceover screen reader, I encounter three problems:

1) If I move the Voiceover focus to the panel that contains the mis-spelt word, and interact with the text, I can delete and/or re-type the mis-spelt word. However, Voiceover goes silent when I do so, making it very hard to know if I have properly corrected the word.

2) When using the Tab key to move through the dialogue, Voiceover frequently fails to announce the “Ignore” button.

3) When I click on one of the buttons – such as “Ignore” – the spell check moves…

2 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello Mark,

Thank you for contacting us at the Disability Answer Desk with your suggestions. we apreciate the time and detail you’ve put into them. We will forward this on to our product managers for further consideration and will get back to you when a fix and or implimentation for these features is in place.

Thank you again for contacting us, and if there is anything further we can do for you,please feel free o reach out to us again.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability answer Desk team.

• Add keyboard shortcuts for the Snipping Tool

The Snipping Tool is horribly inconvenient for anyone who does a lot of screen capture/paste (not PrintScreen) because it has no keyboard shortcuts. Lots of hand-eye coordination and mouse clicks required just to initiate a snip. Please bring back keyboard shortcuts.

5 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello Molly,

This is a very goos suggestion. We’ll forward this on to our product managers and see if we can get this implimented for you. We’ll also keep you up to date with any developments.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team.

• Fix File Explorer not remembering it's position when closed and then reopened.

Problem Description:

File Explorer does not remember it's position, when it is closed and re-opened. Instead, it cascades to the right (as if it is a second instance of FE, when it is not.)

This behaviour should only happen if multiple instances of file explorer are open, assuming it is related to the 'cascading windows' setting. This needs fixing as soon as possible. It is a rediculous "feature" the helps nobody and infuriates many.

This only affects Win10 (Win8 and before always closed and reopened file explorer in the correct position). This problem can be reproduced every time Win10 is…

15 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Enable users to resize the content and IM windows in Skype for Business.

I am frequently challenged to read things which are being presented. I'm always trying to zoom in before I remember that zoom doesn't exist in Skype.
          Maximizing the window or collapsing the message window doesn't help, since so much of the screen real estate is devoted to other elements. And I usually don't want to collapse the IM window altogether, just change the proportions so I can see everything.

6 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello Molly,

I’m not sure exactly what you are referring to as it appears you are aking about resizing text in the IM window. This is easy to do.

1. First in the Skype session, click on the IM icon at the lower left of the screen.
            2. At the lower-right hand side of the window, click the icon that looks like “…”.
            3. From the menue that appears, select, “IM Text Size”.
            4. There you can select the percentage of size of text to display in the IM window.

With regard to the other isue, are your referring to zooming inon a shared screen or destop? If not, can you give us the exact scenario that is cuasting the difficulty?

Thank you for contacting us, andif there is anything further we can do for you, please feel free to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk…

• Make Microsoft Visio 2016 accessible to screen reader users

Visio 2016 should be completely accessible for screen reader users. At the moment, a screen reader can read diagrams on a limited bases. For instance, tabbing around a Visio document renders the shapes and text within those shapes accessible. However, the lines connecting the shapes are not accessible. Furthermore, a screen reader user cannot independently create their own Visio diagrams. Since this is a crutial part of a software developer/designer's job description, Visio 2016 and later should fully support screen reader users. To get my job done, I have to use a scripting language to create diagrams, which takes three…

10 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello Andy,

Thank you for contacting us about this suggestion. We are constantly in the process of improving the accessability of our products and welcome ou r input. We willforward this onto our product oner and get back to you with details regarding the fixes that are implimented.

If in the future, you have any other comments, questions, or issues, feel free to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Asnwer Desk team.

• Improve the way Word files open with Voiceover

When I open an existing Word file, the Voiceover cursor is on the document layout area. To get to the text, I need to interact, then interact again, before Voiceover says “in edit text”.

And if the document has headers, I need to interact, which takes me to the header area, then move down to the text, then interact again.

Would it be possible, when opening a file, to start with the Voiceover cursor on the text area? This is probably where most users want to be when they open a file – ready to start reading or typing.

I…

3 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Mark,

Thank you for contacting us at the Disability Answer Desk with your suggestions. we appreciate the time and detail you’ve put into them. We will forward this on to our product managers for further consideration and will get back to you when a fix and or implementation for these features is in place.

Thank you again for contacting us, and if there is anything further we can do for you, please feel free o reach out to us again.

Sincerely,

• Add a Two Switch access mode for the On Screen Keyboard

Add a manual step scanning option for switch users, for those able to use two switches. E.g. Key1 = Manual step scan. Key2 = Select.

This would enable some users to use the slick On Screen Keyboard utility much more quickly and deliberately.

16 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello Barrie,

This is a pretty good suggestion which makes sense. We’ll forward this on to our product managers for further consideration and keep you up to date on any further developments around this.

Again, Thank you for reaching out to us; and if there’s anything else we can help with in the future, let us know as we’re willing to help.

Sincerely,

• Improve magnification - make it more Apple like

Would be great to have similar magnifying features like there are in mac os x:
                  - GPU enhanced magnification (not only in full screen mode) to make everything more smooth.
                  - Make desktop scrollable rather than reducing the space in "docked mode".
                  - Add an option to center the mouse in the zoom area (full screen mode).
                  - Add a shortcut to quickly enable/disable zoom without having to close magnify.exe.
                  - Dual monitor support:
                  - desktop expansion
                  - clone (zoomed)
                  - clone (1x - with no zoom)

3 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Artur,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us with your specific suggestions. At this time, I’m in contact with the Project Managers to get an idea of what’s been implemented and what is planned. Once I have concrete answers, I’ll get back to you.

Thanks again for your input.

Sincerely,

• Different notification sounds for different apps

In the Windows Mobile version, you can assign completely different sounds to different apps. I would like that be made for the PC version. I can tell what notification would be by the sound. For my phone, I have different sounds for different types of things. For example, "You have an appointment." for the calendar. For mail, "New mail" and for Maintenance and Security, an alarm sound.

13 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello,

This sis a very interesting idea you’ve proposed. In Windows some apps let you customize alerts for some of their functions, but not all becuase it’s dependant on registry entries.

I’ll go ahead and forward this to the product manager for further review and get back to you with any further updates.

Thanks again for reaching out to us; and in the future, if there’s anything else we can do for you, please let us know.

Sincerely,

• Narrator won't let me review form fields in edge

When typing into the edit boxes on this page or any other pages, I can't navigate character by character with Narrator or move by any other element. It also doesn't announce what I'm backspacing over.

4 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Mike,

Thank you for contacting us about these issues. We are aware that Narrator and some of the other screen readers are having problems working with Edge. Our product teams are working hard to resolve these problems.

We will forward this on to the product team and update you when this issue is fixed.

Again, thank you for contacting us; and if there is anything else we can assist you with, feel free to reach out.

Sincerely,

• Narrator says "Command unavailable when trying to silence the reading of tooltips behind links

When Navigating between pages in edge, Narrator will read tooltips behind links such as the url of the link. I press control to silence this and Narrator will say "Command unavailable.

4 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Mike,

Thank you for contacting us about these issues. We are aware that Narrator and some of the other screen readers are having problems working with Edge. Our product teams are working hard to resolve these problems.

We will forward this on to the product team and update you when this issue is fixed.

Again, thank you for contacting us; and if there is anything else we can assist you with, feel free to reach out.

Sincerely,

• Narrator doesn't reliably show new page content in edge

When following a link or searching from the address bar, Narrator doesn't always position me on the web page. Sometimes it shows the toolbar with open reading view and other controls, and other times it will say the page title and custom repeatedly. This is with scan mode on and I have to tab into the page content to be able to cursor through it again. It also will say "Command unavailable" at times as well. This doesn't seem to be restricted to certain sites as far as I can tell.

4 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Mike,

Sincerely,

• Narrator is too verbose in lists in edge

Narrator is too verbose in lists. The best way to see this is to go to the Microsoft accessibility user voice main page and look through the list of hot ideas. Insure you are in scan mode. Narrator will say "List start list item x of C". It does this repeatedly as I arrow through the list. This is especially annoying if there is more text associated with the list item. What I would prefer to have spoken is "List start" to indicate I'm entering a list, and just the list item with the word bullet if it's a bulleted…

5 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Mike,

Sincerely,

• Ability to export Narrator customized settings and keyboard commands

Narrator is supported in more than 20 languages, however there are many others where Narrator is not supported. It means, that some keyboard commands should be changed manualy if we wanted Narrator to work. examples are Narrator key +brackets. In Slovenian keyboard layout we must press ctrl + alt +f/g or alt(gr) +f/g to type square brackets.
                              If you have only one computer, it will be easy to customise a Narrator but if you had more than five, this procedure would become very frustrated.
                              so until Narrator has not been supported and localised to Slovenian and other languages, I suggest…

3 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us about this suggestion. We will forward this to our product manager as we are making efforts to incorporate functionality with more and more languages.

Again, thank you for contacting us, and in the future, if we can be of further assistance, please feel free to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

• Give Narrator more expression.

I love the samples of Narrator I've heard but the speech pitch needs to rise and fall more in the speech's natural progression, the expression now is slightly robotic. Thanks for being interested in our ideas. I am a prospective Windows 10 user.

7 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Make footnotes easier to navigate when using Voiceover with Word

When reading text, double clicking on a footnote reference (using VO Shift Space twice) moves the insertion point to the relevant footnote, but it doesn’t move the Voiceover cursor, and the footnote is not spoken. And, double clicking on the reference in the footnote itself does not return the Voiceover cursor to the text, as it should.

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Mark,

Thank you for contacting us at the Disability Answer Desk with your suggestions. we apreciate the time and detail you’ve put into them. We will forward this on to our product managers for further consideration and will get back to you when a fix and or implimentation for these features is in place.

Thank you again for contacting us, and if there is anything further we can do for you,please feel free o reach out to us again.

Sincerely,

• Make more use of the Rotor to improve navigation in Word files

It would be useful if the Rotor (VO-u) provided access to items such as headings and bookmarks -- the way it now does in Apple's Pages. This would make document navigation much easier.

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Mark,

Sincerely,

• Make the Go To command work better with Voiceover

This works with some options (for example, going to a bookmark in a Word file), but not others. For example, if I am on page one of a Word file, and ask to Go To page 2, then close the dialogue by pressing Escape, the insertion point remains on page one.

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Mark,

Sincerely,

• Ctrl + Alt + I should be app specific

Windows Store's Twitter complies with my Windows 10 Dark Theme setting, however, Edge, Internet Explorer and File Explorer has white backgrounds; gives me headaches, especially at 500%.

Ctrl + Alt + I works, but inverts the ENTIRE OS, making my desktop background looking like an X-Ray, and my selected "Dark Theme" as WHITE. I don't like doing the Alt + Tab and Ctrl + Alt + I keyboard shortcuts when switching apps when I have already have "Dark Theme" set up under Personalization Control Panel.

2 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Marcos,

Thank you for submitting this suggestion. This is simular to another suggestionthat somebody submitted regarding Dark Mode inWindows 10. We’ll forward this to our product development team for further consideration.

Thank you for reaching out to us about this suggestion.

Sincerely,

• The button option in the creators update for narrator is missing from the on-screen gestures list.

Can you please fix the new button option for narrator and the creators build. It is currently missing from the Touch screen gestures list in narrator.

4 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Feedback and Knowledge Base