Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Welcome to Microsoft’s Accessibility Feedback forum. We are very interested in learning more about what products, features, and tools will delight our customers. Please share your ideas with us and remember to vote for ideas posted by others that you also think are great.

If you accidentally came here in need of technical support, please reach out to our Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team

I suggest you ...

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Narrator doesn't reliably show new page content in edge

When following a link or searching from the address bar, Narrator doesn't always position me on the web page. Sometimes it shows the toolbar with open reading view and other controls, and other times it will say the page title and custom repeatedly. This is with scan mode on and I have to tab into the page content to be able to cursor through it again. It also will say "Command unavailable" at times as well. This doesn't seem to be restricted to certain sites as far as I can tell.

6 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello Mike,

Thank you for contacting us about these issues. We are aware that Narrator and some of the other screen readers are having problems working with Edge. Our product teams are working hard to resolve these problems.

We will forward this on to the product team and update you when this issue is fixed.

Again, thank you for contacting us; and if there is anything else we can assist you with, feel free to reach out.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability answer Desk team.

• Make it possible to generate a PDF/UA conforming PDF document from Office

New regulations from the US Access Board will likely require PDF/UA conformance for PDF documents.

Microsoft can extend its existing investment in generating tagged PDF, and lead the marketplace in accessible document creation, by providing functionality to general PDF/UA conforming documents directly from MS Office applications.

15 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello Duff,

Thanks for the clarification.

I have done some further investigating and the product group is aware of this additional work. They looking in to it; however, I don’t have any time table to share.

Hello,

The current Channel for Office 365 (click to run version) now has this functionality.

You can simply export to a PDF from the file menu or choose Save As and then select the PDF file type. The option to tag for Accessibility is checked by default.

I might not understand what you are asking for. There is no specific option to turn on/off PDF/UA when exporting to PDF format; if the tag for accessibility option is checked (which it is by default), you should get PDF/UA conforming documents.

If this is not the case, please share with me how we can determine the exported PDF documentis not conforming to the PDF

• Changing braille display drivers needs to be more intuitive, if needed at all to start with.

When I tried adding my Freedomscientific braille display to be used with Narrator, I followed the directions in Narrator's user guide chapter 7:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4004263/windows-10-narrator-using-with-braille

In this article, after updating the driver through Device Manager, it states in step 7:

Choose the driver that begins with LibUSB-Win32 from the list on the following page and select Next to install the driver.

I don't see a "next page" to be able to select this. After doing all steps up to step 7, I'm then returned to my device manager, and placed back under the Freedomscientific USB node which still is expanded with…

6 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Add the ability to adjust Windows Magnifier zoom level with the scroll wheel.

When reading text on screen I am typically zoomed in 500%-700% magnification in full screen mode filling the screen with 3-5 lines of text at a time, this means any images, buttons, or other GUI elements are so enlarged that it is hard to understand what they are or how to interact with them. If I am reading a news article on a webpage and I see that there is an image, I will need to zoom out to understand what the image is. To do this I have to do the following.

1 Remove my right hand from the…

23 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

Thank you for the detailed description of the enhancement you are looking for. In reproducing this scenario, it merits the attention of our product engineering team. This may already be in the works as simular suggestions have been made, so it is possible that a solution may be soon implemented and released. Nonetheless, your comments will be forwarded. We’ll also let you know when further information pertaining to this becomes available.

Thank you for contacting us, and in the future, f there’s something additional we can provide with regards to accessibility, please feel free to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk Team.

• create themes in word and PowerPoint that meet the accessibility guidelines for font size and color contrast.

Create Accessible themes, templates in MS word and PowerPoint. And then call the theme Accessible or Low Vision or something that lets people easily find it.

6 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello Patricia,

Thank you for reaching out to us about your concern. Be advised that other customers have contacted us about issues related to this situation. Our engineering teams are actively looking into this and changes are in the works.

Having said that, we are always interested in how we can improve out products’ accessibility. Therefore if you have specifics on what you think needs improvement, such as the product being used, scenario in which the problem occurrs, or suggestion on improvements to the specific user interface elements, or specific features, please let us know.

Again, thank you for reaching out to us as we are here to assist in any way possible with accessibility needs.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability answer Desk team.

• The scan mode ought to switch on or off automatically depending on input field, e.g. switching off scan mode when encountering editable fiel

The scan mode ought to switch on or off automatically depending on input field, e.g. switching off scan mode when encountering editable field. I prefer Narrator handling web pages as is handled by System Access screen reader.

5 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello,

THank you for contacting us about this issue. We will forward this to the product manager in charge of Narrator to see if we can get a fix implimented for you.

One question: Are you experinencing this with only one browser such as IE 11 or Edge?

Again, thank you for reaching out to us about this as it’s our missionto help those with disabilities use our products more effectively.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team.

• PowerPoint Read Aloud

I am unable to find a way just to get the whole PowerPoint read to me. Thanks.

5 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Les,

Thank you for reaching out to us about your issue. In order to help you out effectively, can you provide us with the following:

What version of PowerpOint are you using? Is it a part of Office 2016, or Office 365 online?

What screen reader are you using in order to read the presentations?

Also, what are the steps to reproduce your problem in detail?

We look forward to assisiting you with your issue; and in the future, if there is anything else we can help you with, please feel free to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

TheMicrosoft Disability Asnwer Desk team.

• Allow "focus follows cursor" setting for the full screen magnifier

The other option is that the magnification field moves continuously with the pointer. This is a great option because it allows me to zoom in on user interface controls, text fields, etc with ease, without having to move the pointer to a screen edge.

7 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

Thanks for contacting us at the Disability Answer Desk.

In answer to your comment, we would like to know what version of Windows you are using. Are you using Windows 10, with the Ease of Access Tools, or are you using another version of Windows with the screen magnifier?

In the meantime, I’ll forward your suggestion on to our product teams, as this would make a great deal of sense for someone who is both visually impaired, but also has motor skill related disabilities.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team.

• 4 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello George,

In response to your inquiry, we would like to know what you are using that could use greater language support. If you are using eh Ease of Access Tools in Windows 10 or any of the other accessibility tools, you’ll find that we do localize our products to support many languages.

We look forward to your additional feedback.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Des team

• Don't see your idea?

Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Feedback and Knowledge Base