Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Welcome to Microsoft’s Accessibility Feedback forum. We are very interested in learning more about what products, features, and tools will delight our customers. Please share your ideas with us and remember to vote for ideas posted by others that you also think are great.

If you accidentally came here in need of technical support, please reach out to our Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team

I suggest you ...

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Redesign yr Disability Help pages so that direct contact & support are IMMEDIATELY VISIBLE/ACCESSIBLE even to people with normal sight.

I am fishing (desperately, now) for any direct contact with a human being, to help me deal with what started out as such a simple question. As it happens, my eyes are quite good today but even so I see nothing on your Disability or Accessibility pages which is prioritised, highlighted, flagged, boxed or marked up to permit instant access. They're a fog of ill-designed verbiage and when I click on anything it either doesn't function or it throws me back to where I was five minutes before. Talk about ever decreasing circles, about head-battering?

I've wasted over an hour…

4 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have made some changes in the Disability Answer Desk website based on your feedback to make the contact options more discoverable for our customers to contact support. We really want to thank you for sharing your feedback with us to make the experience better.

Thanks,
      Disability Answer Desk Support Team

• Add the ability to adjust Windows Magnifier zoom level with the scroll wheel.

When reading text on screen I am typically zoomed in 500%-700% magnification in full screen mode filling the screen with 3-5 lines of text at a time, this means any images, buttons, or other GUI elements are so enlarged that it is hard to understand what they are or how to interact with them. If I am reading a news article on a webpage and I see that there is an image, I will need to zoom out to understand what the image is. To do this I have to do the following.

1 Remove my right hand from the…

24 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Make windows mail less complex to operate when i first started using it I found it complex and confusing. I found operating it confusing

Windows mail has no hotkeys i found and no menu bar this would help for screen readers.Also I am using jaws seventeen and I find having to hit the button to get mail for each account annoying. I find the whole application complex confusing and a mess. A menu bar and hotkeys for sending mail and a way to pick the account from which the message is coming would help I tried to send an email and am not sure if it sent or from what account it sent that is truly sad indeed what can I do to make…

1 vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Have someone (like a summer intern) document how to do basic things in Windows 10 with narrator

You have a great user guide for Narrator. And you have a great list of keyboard shortcuts for Windows 10. What you now need is a few tutorials to combine the two. For example, you do have a tutorial on using Narrator to read and work with mail. Extend that to a tutorial on how to read and respond to notifications, how to use Windows defender, how to work with the action center, how to use settings, how to work with the People app, how to shop in the store, how to use Edge (since alt-F4 or CTRL-F4 or CTRL-W…

2 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Deborah,

Thanks for your input on this. I understand that you’ve looked through our material. We always appreciate feedback and suggestions for new or updated topics. At the support page, have you searched for the following items?:

· Get started with Narrator in Windows 10
            · Make Windows easier to see
            · Make Windows easier to hear
            · Make input devices easier to use
            · Make it easier to focus on tasks
            · Keyboard shortcuts in Windows
            · Keyboard shortcuts in Windows apps
            · Windows keyboard shortcuts for accessibility
            · Turn on high contrast mode
            · Use Magnifier to see items on the screen
            · Use the On-Screen Keyboard (OSK) to type
            · Use text or visual alternative to sounds
            · Windows Speech Recognition commands
            · Change closed caption settings in Windows 10

Also, have you looked at YouTube. There are many tutorials out there, including ones…

• Allow people to contact support by email

Allow people to contact the support desk by email. I have 3 kids who want to be loud when I am on the phone, and constantly bother me when I am trying to virtual chat. I can't always move around the house, or go outside, because in my area I get very little reception so it's constantly logging me out or dropping the phone calls I am on. It would be nice to be able to contact support during their "off" hours as well and get an answer within a day or two. Not everyone likes to be on their…

3 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

06/29/2017 [v-erstea]

Hello,

Thank for posting your suggestionon this UserVoice forum which is dedicated to answering questions, addressing issues, and taking suggestions from those with disabilities in accessing our products through use of adaptive technologies such as screen readers, magnifiers, etc.

This is the best way to contact us with any questions, issues, or suggfestions as we do monitor this channel closely.

Thank you for contacting us, and in the future you have a disability related question, issue, or suggestion, please feel free to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team.

• 2 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• PLEASE ADD BACK THE ADVANCED APPEARANCE SETTINGS.

these settings allow you to get bigger icons and menus as well as other things. it was recently removed!! WHY?....THIS WAS ONE OF MY FAVORITE TOOLS TO USE. if I don't get this tool back I will uninstall the creators update (1073) and go back to the older version of windows 10 :(

2 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

This is a suggestion that we’ve ben seeing support for. We’re currently forwarding this feature request to our Windows Settings team. We’ll let you know when we find out if there’s an update for this.

Again, thank you for contacting us; and if in the future, you have other issues, questions, or suggestions, feel free to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Anser Desk team.

• trabajar, estudiar y aprender...

soy una persona con discapacidad fisica que me quiero poner en contacto con microsoft para que me forme y luego trabajar para microsoft...tengo muchas ganas y estoy muy ilusionado...gracias de antemano por leer este mensaje...ruego respuesta....jose.

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hola, Gracias por ponerse en contacto con nosotros. Microsoft des emplea a aquellos con diversas discapacidades, así como a aquellos que son multilingües. Si está interesado en trabajar con nosotros, le recomendamos que visite: nuestro sitio de carreras en: https://careers.microsoft.com/.

Gracias por ponerse en contacto con nosotros, y en el futuro tiene una pregunta, un problema o una sugerencia relacionada con la discapacidad, por favor siéntase libre de comunicarse con nosotros.

Sinceramente,

El equipo de Microsoft Desk de respuestas de discapacidad.

• Publicize the developer pages on testing apps for accessibility

I was Binging around and ran across this Microsoft page by accident. I learned about Narrator's development keystroke Caps Lock Plus Shift Plus F12, which causes everything on the screen that is invisible to narrator to also become invisible to the sighted developer. Now, that there is a super awesome feature. Those of us who use apps, and run across one that's not accessible need to be able to email the developer to complain. A good way to do this would be a Microsoft "fix-your-accessibility" app, that would put in some boiler-plate info about your accessibility checking tools for app…

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Deborah,

Thanks for reaching out to us with these suggestions. As you may well observe, we are doing much of what you are talking about. We have verious product blogs for detailing new released features, fixes, etc. as well as speciifically address issues and suggestiong on this forum as well.

If you have any wpecific questions or issues, please feel free to reach out to us here, as this is what this forum is for.

Thank you again,

• On

When a bug or defect has been reported for Narrator or Windows magnifier , Have the bug or defect fix Released through the windows update in settings and not have the user waight until the next major operation system release.

2 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

You’ve come to the right place when it comes to reporting and getting feedback regarding any issues, questions, or suggestions when it comes to making our software more accessible through the use of adaptive technologies.

If you have something specific, please contact us’ and we’ll endeavor to get a fix or feature request responded to and if need be, addressede.

In response to your comment about updates, usually the interim updates are for various high priority fixes, while the rest are cumulative in the major releases. It is not unexpected though that a critical bug would need a hotfix deployment. There are criteria that we measure against to triage incoming posts.

Again, if we can be of specific assistance, please feel free to reach out.

Sincerely,

• Address disabilities that are mental health related

I have a disability that affects the way I interpret 2D, 3D, sound, temperature, light, words and affects my body.
                        Can you revise the words you use in your products. E.g. Do you want to save your document? Yes or no. Change it to instead ask: Do you want to store your document? Yes or no. And other dialogue boxes wording used in your products. You have a monopoly regarding amount of computers that have your software on. Yet do not currently take into account these forms of disability.

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Kevin,

Thank you for contacting us about your suggestion. At Microsoft, we endeavor to address all disabilities wheather cognative, and or physical.

Having said that, if there is something specific we can do for you, please feel free to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

• Provides specific guidance on creating accessible SharePoint Online sites

Please provide guidance on setting up accessible SharePoint Online sites. SharePoint Online is a part of Office 365.

3 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

If you are an Office 365 subscriber, there are some tools that you can use.

Office 365 subscriber only features to create accessible content more easily. Specifically the SharePoint we have:

Accessibility-features-in-SharePoint-Online
                            Use a screen reader to edit information about a file or folder in a document library in SharePoint Online
                            Add accessible content and links to a site in SharePoint
                            Add accessible pictures and media to a site in SharePoint
                            Basics: Create an accessible SharePoint site
                            Make your SharePoint Online blog accessible
                            Resources for building accessible team sites in SharePoint Online
                            Keyboard shortcuts for SharePoint Online
                            Use a screen reader to copy the link for a file or folder in a document library in SharePoint Online
                            Use a screen reader with a blog in SharePoint Online

In the future, if you have comments, questions, or issues, please fel free to reach out to us.

Sincrely,

Th Microsoft Disability…

• Ctrl + Alt + I should be app specific

Windows Store's Twitter complies with my Windows 10 Dark Theme setting, however, Edge, Internet Explorer and File Explorer has white backgrounds; gives me headaches, especially at 500%.

Ctrl + Alt + I works, but inverts the ENTIRE OS, making my desktop background looking like an X-Ray, and my selected "Dark Theme" as WHITE. I don't like doing the Alt + Tab and Ctrl + Alt + I keyboard shortcuts when switching apps when I have already have "Dark Theme" set up under Personalization Control Panel.

2 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Marcos,

Thank you for submitting this suggestion. This is simular to another suggestionthat somebody submitted regarding Dark Mode inWindows 10. We’ll forward this to our product development team for further consideration.

Thank you for reaching out to us about this suggestion.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability answer Desk team.

• Quit leaving people hanging 3 days in a row multiple contacts.

Little frustrating back and sits bone hurting after hours an hours...

Today spent time with Remote Assistance from India, said she had to download Windows Defender and Her supervisor would call to confirm.

Over half hour later I call helpline again, speak with lady that sounds like from Redmond, WA...she tells me Windows Defender should be in Windows 10. We look for other programs and find One believe it was Advanta or something like that. 30 minutes into call she simply hangs up, nothing saying failed call and she did not remote in.

Later I deal with Jesus Santiago, who…

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello,

Thank you for alerting us to your dificulty. Although this is a forum for answering issues, questions, and suggestions. Although this is not related to our operation, we have forwarded this to our support managers for further investigation into this situation. It is our conscious effort to be of service to our customers, which means follow through until resolution of any encountered problems.

Again, thank you for contacting us; and if we may be of further assistance regarding any accessibility related issues, please feel free to reach out to us.

Sicnerely,

The Microsoft Disability aNswer Desk team.

• Help people that suffer from Glocoma.

Hi my name is Annie and I have Glaucoma.  I have had a PC for ever. I want you to know that people that have Glaocoma the whight backgrounds are bad for there eyes. It is hard to see after a while reading or looking for information.  At work at home, it is frustrating.  A lot of people suffer this illness and we will go Blind at the long run. I speek for all the people who suffer of Glaocoma.  Is it possible that you can make the backgrounds Black and the lettering Whight.  That would help so much these…

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Annie,

Thank you for reaching out to us with your suggestion. At Microsoft, we have taken your condition into account and have built in such features as high contrast, dark backgrounds, etc., so you don’t have to use everything with a white background.

If you are having problems making this happen, we can help. Some specifics that we would need are: what version of Windows are you using, the application you are trying to use along with the version, and the scenario. This will help us greatly in either assisting you or taking this information to our product development teams.

Also you can chttps://support.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/disability-answer-deskontact our Disability answer Desk:.

We hope this helps, and in the future, if we may be of further assistance, please reach out to us.

Sincerely,

• When creating new email account in Outlook 2016,and choosing existing PST, browse button does not work.

Using JAWS 18, after filling in the Outlook 2016 new email account form I get to the 'create new' or 'existing' PST folder. As I normally use my saved PSTs, I choose the 'existing' PST and then click 'Browse'. However, In Outlook 2016 (under Windows 10 Pro 64bit) nothing happens when I click 'Browse' and I have to manually input the file location. Please investigate this issue.

0 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello John,

This is indeed an interesting issue. We will communicate with VFO to see where this bug is occurring on their side or ours. We will keep you aprised of any developments towards this resolution.

Thank you for contacting us, and if there’s anything further we can do for you, please let us know.

Sincerely,

• Re-establish the ability for JAWS 18 to read the number of unread messages in mail folder view in Outlook 2016 under Win 10.

Currently JAWS will not read the number of unread messages in Outlook 2016 in the mail folder view as it did in 2010 and 2013. Even after exhaustive searching of settings I cannot get this to work inder 2016 J(Office 2016 Professional+ 64bit). JAWS does say 'unread' for messages withing the folder, but when multiple email accounts are installed cursoring through each 'in-box' would previously announce the number of unread messages in that folder, but not now. Please investigate this issue.

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello John,

This is indeed an interesting issue. We will communicate with VFO to see where this bug is occurring on their side or ours. We will keep you aprised of any developments towards this resolution.

Thank you for contacting us, and if there’s anything further we can do for you, please let us know.

Sincerely,

• In the latest public build of Office, the tab key no longer works to navigate to the tree list of mail folders.

In the latest build of office, the tab key no longer works in Outlook to navigate to the tree list of mail folders. As a screen reader user, I frequently use the tab and shift-tab keys to navigate through the various windows in Outlook. From the tree list of email folders, pressing tab moves to the table view of emails (this still works) and shift-tab would move back to the tree view list of email folders (this no longer works). I now need to use shift-F6 to navigate to the tree list of email folders from the table list of…

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Microsoft really sucks, at least windows 2000 and XP had wonderful beautiful benefits for people who can not see well. I could select they

Microsoft really sucks, at least windows 2000 and XP had wonderful beautiful benefits for people who can not see well. I could select they TYPE SIZE AND COLOR OF FONT AND BACK-GROUND COLOR... FOR JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING INCLUDING RIGHT MOUSE CLICK MENU ITEMS.
                                        The olny way Microsoft is going to make it's software user friendly AGAIN for people who are legally blind, is for Microsoft to have someone with say 20/400 vision and like being in a swimming pool with eyes open and seeing 8 moons when you look up. Bill Gates should be ashamed of himself for hiring idiots…

4 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Michael,

We definately understand your concerns when it comes to ease of customizing cholor shcemes and font settings. We still do have some of that functionality through the Settings menues. However we will forward this to one of our product managers to see if the feature sets you mentioned can be brought back.

Thank your for reaching out to us, and if we may be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Sincereely,

• 2 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Chris,

This is easy to do.

1. Click on the start icon at the left of your taskbar.
                                            2. Click the settings icon.
                                            3. Click the Devices icon.
                                            4. On the left hand menu, click Mouse and Touchpad.
                                            5. Click on the Additional Mouse Settings link.
                                            5. When the window pops up, Click on the Pointer Options tab.
                                            7. At the top in the Motion section, you see a slider switch which allows you to change the pointer speed. Once adjusted, click the apply button until you get the setting you need.
                                            8. When found, click OK, and you should be good to go.

If there’s anything else that we can help you with, please feel free to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base