I suggest you ...

Make it possible to generate a PDF/UA conforming PDF document from Office

New regulations from the US Access Board will likely require PDF/UA conformance for PDF documents.

Microsoft can extend its existing investment in generating tagged PDF, and lead the marketplace in accessible document creation, by providing functionality to general PDF/UA conforming documents directly from MS Office applications.

15 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Duff Johnson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello Duff,

Thanks for the clarification.

I have done some further investigating and the product group is aware of this additional work. They looking in to it; however, I don’t have any time table to share.

Hello,

The current Channel for Office 365 (click to run version) now has this functionality.

You can simply export to a PDF from the file menu or choose Save As and then select the PDF file type. The option to tag for Accessibility is checked by default.

I might not understand what you are asking for. There is no specific option to turn on/off PDF/UA when exporting to PDF format; if the tag for accessibility option is checked (which it is by default), you should get PDF/UA conforming documents.

If this is not the case, please share with me how we can determine the exported PDF documentis not conforming to the PDF/UA standard.

Hello Duff,

My apologies, I was under the impression this work was now available in the Current Channel; this is incorrect. The current Channel that was released last week Version 1701 still does not have this additional functionality.

The latest version of Word in O365 now Export PDFs in the Adobe 1.7 standard and do support the reading of row and column headers in tables.

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Duff Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hmm.. I was hoping that your team would have PDF/UA available to you as a reference.

To begin with, at a minimum...

+ Fonts (or font subsets) must be embedded
        + The PDF must be of version 1.7
        + The PDF/UA flag must be present in XMP metadata

All these (and many other) requirements are clearly indicated in the PDF/UA specification (ISO 14289-1:2014).

Yes, the files output are tagged, and the tags are of reasonably high quality. That's good.

However, the actual question was about PDF/UA conformance, and I see no options for that.

Accordingly, this item is not completed and should remain open.

I just updated Office to Build 1612, but I don't see this functionality. How is it accessed?

Thanks.

Feedback and Knowledge Base