I suggest you ...

Make it possible to generate a PDF/UA conforming PDF document from Office

New regulations from the US Access Board will likely require PDF/UA conformance for PDF documents.

Microsoft can extend its existing investment in generating tagged PDF, and lead the marketplace in accessible document creation, by providing functionality to general PDF/UA conforming documents directly from MS Office applications.

14 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Duff JohnsonDuff Johnson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello Duff,

Thanks for the clarification.

I have done some further investigating and the product group is aware of this additional work. They looking in to it; however, I don’t have any time table to share.

Hello,

The current Channel for Office 365 (click to run version) now has this functionality.

You can simply export to a PDF from the file menu or choose Save As and then select the PDF file type. The option to tag for Accessibility is checked by default.

I might not understand what you are asking for. There is no specific option to turn on/off PDF/UA when exporting to PDF format; if the tag for accessibility option is checked (which it is by default), you should get PDF/UA conforming documents.

If this is not the case, please share with me how we can determine the exported PDF documentis not conforming to the PDF/UA standard.

Hello Duff,

My apologies, I was under the impression this work was now available in the Current Channel; this is incorrect. The current Channel that was released last week Version 1701 still does not have this additional functionality.

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Duff JohnsonDuff Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hmm.. I was hoping that your team would have PDF/UA available to you as a reference.

To begin with, at a minimum...

+ Fonts (or font subsets) must be embedded
        + The PDF must be of version 1.7
        + The PDF/UA flag must be present in XMP metadata

All these (and many other) requirements are clearly indicated in the PDF/UA specification (ISO 14289-1:2014).

Yes, the files output are tagged, and the tags are of reasonably high quality. That's good.

However, the actual question was about PDF/UA conformance, and I see no options for that.

Accordingly, this item is not completed and should remain open.

I just updated Office to Build 1612, but I don't see this functionality. How is it accessed?

Thanks.

Feedback and Knowledge Base