I suggest you ...

Change initial keyboard focus on page load in IE11

When loading any web page that does not have explicit initial focus, IE 11 starts the keyboard focus out of the webpage. This means that when a user presses TAB key for the first time, the focus goes to the address bar instead of the first item on the webpage. This means that a user not using a mouse (keyboard only) must tab through the address bar, top tab, Home button, and any toolbars before getting to the page content. Many users with disabilities cannot use a mouse for various reasons. Thus a keyboard-only user must TAB through Five or more elements to get to page content every time a new page is loaded. FireFox and Chrome do not have this problem.

Unless a page set explicit focus:
•When the browser first loads a Web page, the initial keyboard focus for the page should be at the top of the page.
•When you press Tab for the first time on a page, keyboard focus should move to the first link or control at the top of the page.

What is the expected behavior? (bug reporting guidelines)

•When the browser first loads a Web page, the initial keyboard focus for the page should be at the top of the page unless page explicitly set focus
•When you press Tab for the first time on a page, keyboard focus should move to the first link or control at the top of the page.

Steps to reproduce the problem (include URL if applicable): (bug reporting guidelines)

Go to any web page that does not set initial focus. (www.microsoft.com)
Press TAB
Focus will be in the address bar

18 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Joseph ShermanJoseph Sherman shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello Joseph,

Thanks for the detailed report along with the steps to reproduce the problem.

However, I have navigated to http://www.microsoft.com and cannot reproduce the issue you are reporting.

When I land on that page, then press tab for the first time, I am taken to the Skip to main content link and not to the address bar.

I am running Windows 10 Version 1607 OS Build 14393.321. I also use the JAWS screen reader.

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Nick BeranekNick Beranek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It appears that this problem occurs with JAWS turned off. JAWS will compensate for this and place programmatic focus within the body on page load. However, with just the keyboard you'll find that the first Tab stop is as Joseph mentioned, the address bar.

Feedback and Knowledge Base