I suggest you ...

Please allow scrreen readers to fully read Windows Runtime applications like the Cortana search box

Apparently Microsoft just made a security decision to block any application, even a trusted screen reader, from injecting its code into any WinRT application.
This includes Windows core components like the start menu, settings app and Microsoft Edge. This also means windows store apps as well.

This greatly reduces accessibility in all these essential apps and in particular edit boxes. We are pretty much writing silently and there is no sound for when we misspelled something or when a suggestion comes up.
Microsoft is moving more and more to having all their apps and components be packaged like this, so I am scared that soon screen readers will be left with only minimal access, effectively barring blind users from competently using Windows.

There are solutions to this problem and I know NV Access has reached out to Windows about this problem, but Windows has not yet responded with a suitable alternative.

I'm not a screen reader developer, but maybe all Windows apps could be built on a back-end that exposes information screen readers need and maybe even requires proper labeling like what happens on Mac computers.
Another option is Windows have a list of screen readers and hand out access keys so they can grab the information they need. This could either happen on Windows' end or the user can choose what applications have full access to all their apps.

Regardless, this is a huge problem and I am appalled that such a major accessibility bug made it to the stable version of Windows. This really shows just how much Microsoft cares about and listens to their blind users and developers.
Again I ask Microsoft to have an official beta testing group of blind people who have a very high influence on Windows development and who can find bugs before they get released in to even the insider program. Microsoft has slowly demolished every feature that blind users love and has been actually decreasing the accessibility of windows.
Please reverse this trend!

12 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Brandon Keith BiggsBrandon Keith Biggs shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

0 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...