I suggest you ...

produce a guide to enable users to set up speech recognition and troubleshoot ihen it doesn't work.

In the absence of workflow, typing is arduous due to dexterity issues (word flow works well as an accessibility feature but...) speech recognition is my next best option but I can't figure out why it doesn't work ( 2 devices) and I can't find any guides beyond the basic instructions. I've tried the help desk but just got advised to do a clean boot. A proper user guide would be fantastic - this is also a tool that could be used by many pupils that I support with limited dexterity. Current options combined with education budget cuts leave them typing very slowly compared to peers. Speech recognition could really help.

9 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

kay slawson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Kay,

This is an excellent suggestion. As our products grow in accessibility, there is a growing need for documentation. There are some documents out there when it does come to activating screen readers with various installs on multiple software products.

There are a couple of forums that may help you in your quest for documentation. The first is: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ and Microsoft.com/support.

To help assist you in a more proactive manner, you said that you are trying to do installs on two devices. What are these devices, and what is the software that you’re installing. That would help locate some more detailed documentation for you. We can also get in touch with the proper product owners to initiate the development of more detailed documentation regarding installs with screen readers.

Again, thank you so much for reaching out to us, as it’s our mission to more effectively assist people such as yourself in the more accessible use of our products.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team.

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AdminMicrosoft Accessibility (Team Manager, Microsoft Accessibility) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us at the Disability answer desk. If there are specific issues with it then you can reach out to a support agent at DAD who can help him troubleshoot and resolve his issues. You can contact them through this URL: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/?os=windows-10

Thank you for contacting us, and if there are other suggestions or issues you have related to accessibility, please reach out to us.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team.

• kay slawson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm trying to use Microsoft's own speech recognition, it is advertised as an accessibility option but I can't get it to work consistently. The advice on the website is minimal and there s no guide.

• kay slawson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I am trying to get speech recognition working consistently in windows 10 on a HP 15-ac151sa and a Lynx windows 10 tablet (along with several devices that students are using in schools).I can't get it working consistently and I can't find documentation beyond the basic instructions on how to open, set up the mic and train the computer. I may be using the wrong drivers / mic/ port (USB? 3.5mm input?) or ........but I don't know because I can't find any detailed advice so this is what I think would be really useful if it could be done (I realise the sheer range of devices may make it difficult but if possible, I (and, I guess, many others with dexterity issues) need to be able to input as fast as others to compete at work (stay in work:-\)

Feedback and Knowledge Base