I suggest you ...

Fix File Explorer not remembering it's position when closed and then reopened.

Problem Description:

File Explorer does not remember it's position, when it is closed and re-opened. Instead, it cascades to the right (as if it is a second instance of FE, when it is not.)

This behaviour should only happen if multiple instances of file explorer are open, assuming it is related to the 'cascading windows' setting. This needs fixing as soon as possible. It is a rediculous "feature" the helps nobody and infuriates many.

This only affects Win10 (Win8 and before always closed and reopened file explorer in the correct position). This problem can be reproduced every time Win10 is installed, it 'is' Win10.

This problem seems to be related to Win10 having invisible border padding, which is different to previous Windows versions (which explains why the position of FE problem only affects Win10, as discussed previously.). I found this thread: https://www.displayfusion.com/Discussions/View/windows-10-windows-snapping-a-few-pixels-off/?ID=8dae7bc8-1e10-44dc-9e39-fb3887f18aae

Relevant quotes:
Sapiens:
"This is a Windows 10 thing, or at least not entirely not a DisplayFusion thing as far as I can tell. The new 1px window borders in W10 are actually bigger than that but the extra area is transparent. When you use screen edge snapping in Windows things will appear to be in the right place and flush up against the edge of the screen, but if you close and reopen the program it will be shifted away from the bottom, left and/or right sides of the screen to make room for the invisible window border. The top/title bar of a window doesn't seem to be affected."

Lum:
"Regarding the issue with window positioning, if you download WinAero Tweaker and choose the option "Enable Aero Lite Theme", it re-enables a hidden but not removed theme that is more Windows 8 like. This means you get thick borders again, but the tweaker also has the option to turn down the border padding. This sorts out the positioning for every app, with and without DisplayFusion installed..."

So lets try that out, shall we?

YouTube video
https://youtu.be/a8BAj4UQcqo

YouTube video timestamps:

0.00-0.17 - positioning File Explorer.
Media Player Classic snapped to half the screen, FE snapped to half the screen, then resized and closed.

0.17-0.40 - Reopening File Explorer.
See the yellow desktop background is showing again, down the left-side of the screen after reopening File Explorer. There is also some desktop background shown along the bottom, but I'm not sure if this is shown properly in the video. This is because FE is displaying the problem this thread describes, acting as though it has 'cascaded', like a second instance of FE being open would.

0.40-1.25
Please note that I have already used WinTweaker to set border padding back to 0, after setting the AeroLite theme, before I recorded this video. So this is what you will have to do, if you perfer the Win10 1px border look, rather than the Win8 thicker borders, which is what the AeroLite theme has by default.
Here, in the AeroLite theme, we see me repositioning and resizing FE a few times. It remembers it's position both times. It stays lined-up with the edge of the screen when closed and re-opened. 1.25-End Switching back over to the default Windows theme, we see that it re-introduces the cascading problem, and then we see it more clearly when I remember to turn the windows desktop background into the yellow solid color once again.

So the problem is because of Invisible Window Border Padding in Win10, and whatever Microsoft/FileExplorer team have changed in the Default Windows Theme related to this.

From a usability standpoint, and as a disabled user, FE not remembering it's position is incredibly frustrating. I am not technically minded when it comes to coding, or registry editing, patching sysem files etc. but I believe I've looked around the internet as much as I can in order to understand and explain the problem, and identify when it is introduced. I have provided, in this post, a way to take the issue away and then reproduce it, and provided video evidence. I believe this is the absolute most I can do on my end to make your lives as software creators/user interface designers easier... Please can somebody on the File Explorer team provide a fix now?

Using the hidden AeroLite theme isn't a real fix, as it alters a lot of other things about the Windows OS visuals, when all I want fixed is this stupid "File Explorer Positioning" problem, which is caused by invisible border padding settings. Please help me.

12 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

ksdixonksdixon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ksdixonksdixon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can confirm I am not using any cleaner programs such as CCleaner.

From everything I've found out, and been able to demonstrate above, this is a Win10 exclusive issue, related to the invisible borders and changes to default Windows Theme(s).

• Microsoft AccessibilityAdminMicrosoft Accessibility (Team Manager, Microsoft Accessibility) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Karl,

First our apologies about the miscommunication on this issue.

In order to help you further with this concern, are you using any utilities that clean various caches such as CCleaner, or another utility that clears window sizing or position caches? If so, can you change the settings so that is not cleared. If you are not, please let us know as well, so we can further investigate this issue and pass it on to the appropriate team for future resolution?

Thank you,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk Team.

I'm not sure how to say this without sounding like I am raging or feeling entitled or what-have-you... but just because my issue doesn't fall under guidelines of disability assistence, which I assume to mean Ease Of Access Windows features such as speech to text, magnification, narrator etc. does not mean that the problem doesn't impact upon my disabilites. Perhaps I am not properly explaining how the issue impacts me?

In terms of usability/ease-of-use it impacts greatly, both in terms of eyesight and hand manipulation using a mouse to move/resize windows. Whilst the File Explorer window re-opening a couple of pixels off may be trivial or even non-noticable for most non-disabled users, it is more than just a mild annoyance for me, and I imagine other disabled users. When disabled, a lot of the time you cultivate workarounds and shortcuts to make your workload easier. FE opening in different positions in Win10 causes issues with eyesight, as it overlaps other windows in the process of reopening. And it can be quite hard to re-align the open programs with one another, as programs do not 'snap' onto one another when moving or resizing - you can see me at various points struggling with this on the YouTube video I posted above, when trying to align FE up against Media Player Classic. FE opening wrongly in Win10 means I have to take time away from whatever I am doing, to move FE back to where it should be, and I have to struggle to do this every time I reopen FE.

This all seems like a lot of headache and issues for the sake of a cosmetic change in Win10 verses Win8 and previous ("1px borders", with the rest of the border turned invisible; and the FE movement results in the default Windows Theme which relate to this, which the hidden AeroLite theme does not have). Those that are struggling do not even have an explanation for the change, let alone a fix to make their lives easier, and have to find for themselves undesireable workarounds (AeroLite theme as discussed in opening post).

• Microsoft AccessibilityAdminMicrosoft Accessibility (Team Manager, Microsoft Accessibility) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The thing is that this is a forum for disabled customers to post accessibility issues to. Unfortunately, when reviewing your post, this doesn't fall under the guidelines of disability assistance. That's why we forwarded the support page.

If in the future you have a disability / accessibility related issue, question, or suggestion, we will be more than happy to help out.

Thank you.

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team.

Do I need to re-post as a new thread, or can this suggestion's status be set to un-declined?

Erm... did you respond to the wrong thread?
        My post has nothing in it regarding an Office Installation issue.

Feedback and Knowledge Base