I suggest you ...

Add a greater range of dwell times for the onscreen keyboard to increase speed

I type with a combination of a trackball and onscreen keyboard. However, I have to use a third party keyboard (which could go away at any time) because the dwell time on the Windows keyboard is excruciatingly slow even on the fastest (.5 s) setting. On the third party keyboard I can type almost instantly with a dwell time of 200 or 300 ms. Why not refine the range of dwell times?

5 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AmyAmy shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Amy,

Thank you for contacting us at the Disability Answer Desk. This is a very interesting issue. However to help you further, we need further information regaring the third party software yo are using, on what oporating system, and application or applications you may be using as well.

Than you for reaching out to us, and we’ll do whatever possible to resolve your situation.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team.

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • kay slawsonkay slawson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, I can't use third party keyboards at work so have to use windows own keyboard and 0.5 dwell time is painfully slow.

• AmyAmy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

I am using Windows 10 Pro. The third party keyboard I am using is Hot Virtual Keyboard by Comfort Software, which has an autoclick feature with dwell time that can be reduced all the way to 100 ms and increased to many seconds. I use it in Firefox, Word, etc. With the Windows onscreen keyboard, I have to wait half a second for each key to be clicked, which is the fastest time offered but very slow for me.

Feedback and Knowledge Base