I suggest you ...

Create a tutorial on creating accessible Power Point templates

There is a lot of information on the web about creating accessible power point presentations. Unfortunately, there seems to be little information on creating accessible power point templates. I would like to have a guideline on how to create accessible power point templates that I could provide to our department that creates our corporate templates. In a corporate environment, many templates exist which contain corporate color schemes and logos, customized for various departments, with little regard to accessibility.

As a screen reader user, I attempted to transform one of my company's Power Point templates into one that was accessible. I started by adding alt-text to the various shapes in the slide master view, anticipating that this would migrate to the slides view as prompts. Unfortunately, this did not happen. It appears that the content of the slide master shapes is what my screen reader speaks. Once this content is replaced with data in an actual slide, this information is lost. Perhaps alt text could be propagated from the slide master to the slide to preserve slide master guidance as well.

Finally, the company I work for is international. Making slide template data localized to the user's operating system language would be nice. Many of the slide templates are created in French for the company that I work for, so I end up hearing French shape names and content from the various templates.

I am running Office 365 Power Point native client on a PC with Windows 10.

Rick

4 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Tim,

This is a very good suggestion. We’ve had simular issues regarding PowerPoint and screen readers before. We’ll forward your concern to the product manager and get back with you as to any future updates for this fix.

Thank you for reaching out to us, and if there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to get in contact with us.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability answer Desk team.

0 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...