I suggest you ...

Add the ability to adjust Windows Magnifier zoom level with the scroll wheel.

When reading text on screen I am typically zoomed in 500%-700% magnification in full screen mode filling the screen with 3-5 lines of text at a time, this means any images, buttons, or other GUI elements are so enlarged that it is hard to understand what they are or how to interact with them. If I am reading a news article on a webpage and I see that there is an image, I will need to zoom out to understand what the image is. To do this I have to do the following.

1 Remove my right hand from the mouse
2 Place my right hand on the “–“ key
3 Place my left hand on the “windows” key
4 Adjust the zoom level
5 Find the mouse again with my right hand
6 Adjust the screen magnifier position so I can see the image

After I look at the image for 2 seconds I have to go back and re adjust the zoom level and position again to keep reading. As someone who uses a windows machine for 8+ hours a day at work I am adjusting my zoom level hundreds or thousands of times a day

If we were able to adjust the zoom level using a modifier key and the scroll wheel it would make it possible to very quickly and very accurately set the zoom level to the current conditions on the screen, while at the same time re-position the magnifier to see the new element.

This functionality is already available in Linux/OSX as well as the popular windows screen magnifier software ZoomText ($400 and a resource hog) so I am speaking from experience when I say switching to Windows Magnifier can significantly slow down my efficiency when using Windows.

23 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello,

Thank you for the detailed description of the enhancement you are looking for. In reproducing this scenario, it merits the attention of our product engineering team. This may already be in the works as simular suggestions have been made, so it is possible that a solution may be soon implemented and released. Nonetheless, your comments will be forwarded. We’ll also let you know when further information pertaining to this becomes available.

Thank you for contacting us, and in the future, f there’s something additional we can provide with regards to accessibility, please feel free to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk Team.

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since I can't figure out how to Edit this, just pretend that I had pasted this paragraph at the beginning of my request.

Windows Magnifier has come a long way since the early days, but it is still missing one major feature that other screen magnifiers have, this is the ability to control the zoom level using a modifier key and the scroll wheel. I’ll try to explain how adding this feature will make Windows significantly more efficient for a person who is legally blind.

Feedback and Knowledge Base