I suggest you ...

Changing braille display drivers needs to be more intuitive, if needed at all to start with.

When I tried adding my Freedomscientific braille display to be used with Narrator, I followed the directions in Narrator's user guide chapter 7:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4004263/windows-10-narrator-using-with-braille

In this article, after updating the driver through Device Manager, it states in step 7:

Choose the driver that begins with LibUSB-Win32 from the list on the following page and select Next to install the driver.

I don't see a "next page" to be able to select this. After doing all steps up to step 7, I'm then returned to my device manager, and placed back under the Freedomscientific USB node which still is expanded with Freedomscientific Braille Display having the system focus. Basically, I'm back in the tree view within Device Manager, but no way to swap out the driver that I can see.

I tried helping a friend of mine running Windows 10 Home, and his braille display completely quit working until he unplugged and reconnected it to his laptop, although when he tried updating the driver, he didn't even get as far as I did. He got a message that states something about the device stack, I don't remember the exact wordage, but it states if he reboots it may fix the issue... something to that effect. I can have him retest and post the exact wording copied from a virtual buffer, if that would help. Basically, it didn't update for him. The installation just sat there and hung for about 2 minutes, then he got that error. We tried a second time, and the behavior was consistently reproduced again. He, like me is using a Freedomscientific display. I have the Pac Mate Omni PM20 display for the BX model. He has the original Pac Mate QX 40 display. His device is not an Omni, beware. He has the 1.02 firmware in his braille display. Mine, being it's an Omni, is on 3.7.

I genuinely think this needs to be made more intuitive. Secondly, I see LibUSB-Win32. I know 64 bit is backward compatible, but why would I want to use a 32 bit architect driver on an X64 bit system? To me, that doesn't make a lot of sense. What am I missing here?

6 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Christopher GillandChristopher Gilland shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Microsoft AccessibilityAdminMicrosoft Accessibility (Team Manager, Microsoft Accessibility) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Chris,

Here's a follow-up from one of our product team members:

I haven’t heard of someone using the PAC Mate devices, but I do expect them to work. Perhaps the Disability Answer Desk has either heard of a quirk with these devices, or they may be aware of common mistakes people make when trying these instructions. So I would recommend that the user try that resource.

That said, we agree that configuring a braille display should be easier, and though we’re working on that.

We'll get back to you with regards to fixes or improvements related to this.

Again, thank you for contacting us; and if in the future, if we can be of further assistance, please reach out.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team.

• Ben J. BloomgrenBen J. Bloomgren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm the friend to whom Chris is referring in this idea. If any Microsoft engineer would like a screen shot, I'll gladly throw one up here. I'll be monitoring this thread over the next while, so please update the comments. This definitely does need to be improved, as it's a bit confusing despite the meticulous nature of the instructions.

Feedback and Knowledge Base