I suggest you ...

Narrator on 64-bit systems should be able to use 32-bit TTS voices

Currently, on 64-bit Windows, Narrator can use only TTS voices that have 64-bit support. Most (if not all) newer voices do have 64-bit support. But there are older TTS voices, that have only 32-bit support. They can be installed on 64-bit Windows and used by programs that support them. But Narrator on 64-bit Windows does not support them and can't use them. The ideal solution would be to ask the developers of the TTS voices in question to add 64-bit support to them. But most of those TTS voices are abandoned (no longer developed) and the chance to get an update with 64-bit support to them is highly unlikely. Considering that not all of them are open-source, it means that volunteers can't legally modify and improve them, even if they want to. That is why I'm asking for Narrator to support 32-bit TTS voices even under 64-bit Windows, so we can use those older TTS voices. Thanks much in advance!

13 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Kostadin Kolev shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft is the opposite of ease of accessibility for people already struggling with disabilities. People with disabilities made personal investments into accessibility products to make their working and non-professional lives tolerable. Then, Microsoft decides to make their lives unnecessarily harder by trying to force them into spending ever more money to maintain compatibility with an OS that claims to be on their side. Shameful.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. I had to purchase a 64 bit voice to use with Narrator. If other programs on Windows support 32 bit voices on 64 bit systems, Narrator should as well.

Feedback and Knowledge Base