I suggest you ...

It would be wonderful if we could get a way to completely disable the monitor on laptops (like windows+p used to do on 7).

All available options currently turn the screen off, but any key press brings it back. Keeping the screen completely turned off is great for us blind users who don't use it at all, since it offers privacy, saves battery, and means we don't need to change brightness settings whenever somebody else needs to use the machine.

8 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be really helpful. Toshiba laptops used to have this function as part of their power saving utilities and I used it a lot when answering private emails in public places.
        Unfortunately it seems to have been disabled in windows 10, and it'd be nice to have it as part of the operating system rather just on one brand of laptop anyway, heck there are times it'd be handy on a desktop.
        So if a keyboard shortcut to turn off the screen could be added that would be very much appreciated.

All the best,

Dr. Luke Hewitt,
        Admin, www.audiogames.net, disability researcher and acessible games advocate,

• ChrisChris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please restore this feature. If this truly cuts all power to the screen, it means my battery is not drained while sending power to the screen. I could be using that extra power for more important things than driving images on a display I can't see or use.

Feedback and Knowledge Base