I suggest you ...

Letting screenreaders read the Settings information

Some details or information on the Settings screen cannot be read by a screenreader. Some way, it has to be expressed that the data has to be accessed. It just can't be read by either Narrator, the screenreader or the JAWS mode. Was trying to find my "Last Backup date" and it only gave me buttons to backup and such, though the information was there on that same page.

6 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jay Allen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Deborah Armstrong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are we sure Narrator, NVDA and JAWS do read everything on the settings screens? I know I was trying to set up a "work or school" account and an error appeared that no screen reader seemed able to access. I appreciate the reminder about scan mode, the virtual cursor and of course NVDA has the browse mode, but someone should thoroughly go through the settings screen, especially forcing it to generate errors when invalid input is entered to confirm it is read out loud.

• AdminMicrosoft Accessibility (Team Manager, Microsoft Accessibility) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback.

To navigate within the settings field using Narrator, Scan Mode will enable you to navigate and hear information that you would not hear otherwise.

With JAWS, you might find that the virtual cursor is useful for navigating these same areas.

Below you will find the user guide for narrator as well as documentation on the virtual cursor in JAWS.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/22798/windows-10-narrator-get-started
        https://www.freedomscientific.com/Content/Documents/Other/ScriptManual/06-3_JAWSCursor.htm

For additional assistance, please contact the Microsoft Disability Answer Desk at
        1 (800) 936-5900. Available Monday through Friday from 6am to 10pm (PST) and Saturday to Sunday from 7am to 6pm (PST).

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team.

Feedback and Knowledge Base