I suggest you ...

Eye-tracker as an assistive technology for using a mouse or other pointing devices

I know there are many people, like myself, for whom it's hard to move mouse. Especially on long distances, like from one edge of the screen to another. And you can't speed up pointer too much because it becomes too inaccurate. Or the software, including Windows native mouse support, doesn't let you.

An eye tracker - used only to move the pointer with blinking (e.g. twice) - could be a great help here. And it didn't even need to be precise.

I have a muscle wasting disease (DMD). Some people with similar diseases use only mouses, other styluses or touchpads. Many can't use 1080p resolutions because the distances become too long. They all could benefit from a functionality that assists in using their pointing device.

The professional eye tracking devices are extremely expensive, especially in middle and low income countries. And I still can't find any with that kind of functionality. But I myself could easily find a few people who would use a < 200$ eye-tracker to do just that.

And since it doesn't need to be precise, maybe even a simple HD webcam could be enough.

On a side note, when it comes to children, a really important thing would be to give their parents option to limit how often they can use it, i.e. make the cursor jump. Because if they would use it too often instead of moving mouse, their muscles would loose strength quicker.

8 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea