I suggest you ...

I have extremely low vision (nearly 0% central vision).

I have extremely low vision (nearly 0% central vision). However, I have been working on a PC just by personalizing the Windows' theme and appearances (changing the font sizes and colors of desktop, menu, selected items, taskbar, Active window Title bar etc), i.e., without using any of the so called "Accessibility" features. I don't need the special "High Contrast" (Inverted Colors) theme meant for people like me. One of the many reasons for this being its incompatibility with many application softwares. Personalizing all the appearances and theme had been quite simple in Windows '98 up to Windows XP. However, it became more and more difficult, complex and non user-friendly in higher versions of Windows. Two weeks ago, I got a new PC for my office and it has Windows 10 Pro installed on it. Since then, my life has become miserable. I could not start using my new PC because personalizing all the appearances seems to be impossible in this "upgraded" version of Windows. Even my normal sighted friends could not fix it for me after trying their best. In my opinion, an upgraded version should always be simpler, easier to use and more user-friendly as compared to the older versions. I would like to request Microsoft Team to please give it a thought. To help people with low vision, it takes much less than what MS offers. There is a fundamental question to be answered: When the default settings are absolutely unfavorable for a person with low vision, how can he/she personalize the theme and appearances himself/herself and hence, start operating his/her PC independently? Here is a very useful and easy-to-implement idea:
As a new user starts a PC, a large Accessibility button should appear on the desktop. By double clicking on it, the user should be able to switch the theme to a more low-vision friendly theme (bigger font sizes and increased color contrast everywhere and that it !). This will make things visible to him and enable him to personalize subsequently according to his own specific requirements. Color contrast can be inreased simply by replacing the light grey colored text on grey/blue/cyan (etc) background with "White text on black background" wherever applicable. Inverting the colors is not required at this stage and the user can do it using the Accessibility features in the next step, if required.
Please note that complex personalization procedure in latest Windows is an issue applicable equally to both normally sighted as well as low-vision users.

3 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AdminMicrosoft Accessibility (Team Manager, Microsoft Accessibility) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello,

We’re sorry to hear about your experience using Windows 10. Our hope is always that the accessibility options are growing with each version of Windows and that these options are easy for our users to access. In our new version of Windows 10, the Fall Creator’s Update, you are able to accomplish set up using nothing more than your voice. There is also an ease of access button at set up that allows a user to turn on Narrator, Magnifier, High contrast, Sticky Keys, or Filter Keys. Within windows, there are additional options that allow for further personalization within settings under ease of access.

If you are still looking for assistance with getting your computer set up with more personalized options, please give our Disability Answer Desk a call at 1 (800) 936-5900.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team.

Feedback and Knowledge Base