I suggest you ...

Windows has poorer accessibility for people with low vision

I have macular degeneration, and I use a 29-inch HD monitor with Magnifier on in the inverted color mode to improve readability of documents (all have black text on a white surface). When I use Magnifier to increase a 6 or 8 point a fund to the size of a 16-point font, the result is ragged-looking and hard to read. The Microsoft speech recognition tutorial was hard to use because I had to magnify the readings until their raggedness make it hard to read them. If I am working with a dark-themed website that has small text, I can’t magnify that text without going to settings. Windows 10 gives me the choice of a very low-resolution screen or going in & out of Magnifier. If I use high contrast, the limited color palette hides some web page features (like the triangles that indicate mouse-activation points).

Accessibility for people with low vision was best at Windows 98, when you could customize font family & size, as well as colors of all Windows items (icons, headings, etc) individually. Since then, each new version of Windows has removed some of that flexibility.

As a minimum, low vision user need:
+ a low vision settings group in Accessibility;
+ control of desktop & folder icon label font family & size & color;
+ control of folder content list font family & size & color;
+ control of the font family & color plus minimum size for everything in window;
+ separate hot-keys for magnification & color inversion;
+ the default light/dark app mode needs to control more than Windows;
+ the 'set color' tool needs to work;.

8 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon