Give us feedback on Microsoft accessibility and how we can improve?

Play sounds for interface elements in Narrator

Productivity is a huge part of everyone's life nowadays, and blind people are no different. We want to be as fast and efficient as possible, doubly so to keep up with sighted counterparts. Speech is a great way to access information, but for repeating information it just gets in the way. Sound is a better solution for showing what interface element a user has landed on, because it only takes a few milliseconds to play, whereas speech can be either the same length, or up to a second based on how fast speech is talking. These sounds could replace the speech of "button" "checkbox" ETC. This eliminates one more thing the speech synthesizer has to say, making Narrator more responsive.

13 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Devin Prater shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mike Sibert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm disabled. I was afflicted by a stroke. What am I supposed to do. I'm tired of just existing

• AdminMicrosoft Accessibility (Team Manager, Microsoft Accessibility) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Devin,

Thank you for your feedback. A new feature is coming to Narrator in an upcoming update that will allow for document formatting to be echoed with a pitch change or different intonation when a font is underlined, bold, or italicized. Please look forward to it.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a fantastic idea. It would make navigation more efficient.

Feedback and Knowledge Base