I suggest you ...

Add Speech to Windows BIOS

The most inaccessible part of Windows is the BIOS. There is no way for a blind person to change the BIOS by them selves and it is almost impossible to have someone on your phone read the screen that is on the bios over the phone.
This means that I need to have someone who is comfortable with working on the innards of the computer, who I trust, following directions from someone who has no idea what they should be looking for.
This is the only time where Narrator has an advantage over other screen readers.
Please allow some access to BIOS, especially on Surface products.
Thank you,

8 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Brandon Keith Biggs shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good morning, if Microsoft were wanting to leed and innovate with this idea they would need to collaborate with vendors to have an audio drive developped for UEFI bios systems. Then self voicing or screen reading may be something foreseeable in the future.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a great idea. However, I don't know how feasible this is. The BIOS is not a part of Windows. Maybe Microsoft can do this on their own hardware, but convincing other manufacturers to implement speech into UEFI is going to be a major issue. Perhaps this is something else Microsoft should promote. Maybe third parties will listen if a giant corporation like Microsoft is promoting accessible UEFI.

Feedback and Knowledge Base