Give us feedback on Microsoft accessibility and how we can improve?

not require users (disabled or otherwise) to have a cellphone number to set up a Microsoft account (as this could breach the Equality Act)

Through disability I do not use a cellphone (others do not due to lack of coverage) but found I couldn't set up a Microsoft Account without one and therefore couldn't activate my new copy of Microsoft Office.

It took and hour-long call to Microsoft's (very helpful) Accessibility Helpline just to to get my Microsoft Office activated.

Others might be tempted to use a friend's cellphone; thus leaving somebody else's number on file (a potential security risk).

Surely a company such as Microsoft cannot have missed the implications of requiring a cellphone (texts) in respect of those with disabilities and /or those living in remote areas with no cellphone coverage.........

3 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Colin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Colin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sirs,

Do you not read my posts?

At no point was I given an option of using a second e-mail address.

If I had of been given that option then I would not have needed to call you helpline!

Doh!

• Colin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sirs, When I started installing your software it required (1) an e-mail address which I provided the (2) a telephone number which I provided but you declined that number as you could not send a text to it (please don't make that my problem).

Contrary to your claim there were not other options given during installation, hence my calling your helpful accessibility number. at no time did they identify a second e-mail address would resolve the problem (indeed they suggested that Microsoft should make this an option).

Clearly Microsoft has much work to do in respect of serving customers with disabilities and /or no cellphone.

• AdminMicrosoft Accessibility (Team Manager, Microsoft Accessibility) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback. When signing up for a Microsoft account, you also have the option of using an alternate email address. For further questions on creating and managing Microsoft Accounts, please visit Microsoft Account Help https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/products/microsoft-account?category=manage-account.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team.

Feedback and Knowledge Base