Give us feedback on Microsoft accessibility and how we can improve?

Add hotkeys in Skype 8 and newer Add hotkeys in Skype 8 and newer

Since Microsoft will prevent Skype 7 from accessing the Skype network after the 1st of September 2018, they need to enhance Skype 8's functionality to get at least some of Skype 7's functionality to it. One of those missing and crucial for the visually impaired users functions are the global hotkeys for answering and rejecting a call, and similar ones. |They should be restored to Skype 8 as they are in Skype 7. Otherwise, answering or rejecting a call for visually impaired keyboard users is practically a nightmare at the moment. Since Microsoft will prevent Skype 7 from accessing the Skype network after the 1st of September 2018, they

22 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Kostadin Kolev shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was forced to upgrade to version 8 today or not use Skype. Ugh. Why do they keep changing things (not only in Skype but also Office)? It worked fine before. It's now worse. Stop messing with it. I used to use the hotkey to bring Skype to/from the taskbar. Now there's not even a default option and I can't customize my hotkeys.

ANGRY!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Rose Rodent, it is amazing that you now cannot use keyboard shortcuts to call someone in your contacts list. Why has Microsoft omitted this basic option?

• Rose Rodent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, I held off the update because of accessibility concerns, was assured by Microsoft that once it was in full swing accessibility would be back. There is a list of shortcuts but it's missing some fairly key ones like how to select WHO you want to call!! There's no point having a shortcut for starting a call if I can only call the first alphabetical person in the contacts list. This is SHAMEFUL

• Andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here we are in October 2018 with Skype 7.4 now set to stop working on 1 November and still no news of global keys to answer, end or reject calls. Why have these things STILL not been addressed?

• Brandon Keith Biggs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello,
        https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA12025/what-are-hotkeys-and-how-do-i-use-them-in-skype
        Are not very useful commands. Here are the key commands I used in the last version:
        - Answer calls
        - Jump to unread messages

Neither of these exist in the new version.
        I also really don't like the fact Skype interrupts my system focus when I get a call. Often I am quickly writing and will hangup the call.

• Tolga Karatas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

why is Skype support for version 7.40 being discontinued; Skype 8.0 isn't user friendly for Jaws Screen Reader Users; can this please be taken into consideration please;

• Kostadin Kolev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello,

I know about the Skype 8 keyboard commands and they are helpful. I'll think about suggesting some more helpful keyboard commands that are missing now, after some brainstorming with my friends.

My request however is about global hotkeys/keyboard commands for answering and rejecting Skype calls, which will work no matter which application is in focus.

• AdminMicrosoft Accessibility (Team Manager, Microsoft Accessibility) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback. Please check out this blog on new Accessibility Improvements in Skype 8 https://blogs.skype.com/news/2018/07/25/new-accessibility-improvements-now-available-for-skype/, which links to the Skype keyboard shortcuts https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA12025/what-are-hotkeys-and-how-do-i-use-them-in-skype. We’ll share your feedback on answering/rejecting a call with the product team. Please let us know about any other keyboard shortcuts or accessibility features you’d like in Skype.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team.

Feedback and Knowledge Base