Give us feedback on Microsoft accessibility and how we can improve?

Windows 10 Build 1809 - File Explorer Right-Click-Menu Problem

I've been everywhere. Feedback Hub, Reddit, Microsoft Accessibility/Support-based accounts on Twitter, Disabled Help Desk. Can we please give this problem some real-world attention by someone who can actually help?

As of Windows 10 Build 1809 - The registry fix of setting "ImmersiveContextMenu" to "0", located at "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\FlightedFeatures", no longer has any effect in disabling the new 'immersive context menu'.

Windows shell has the new style, including desktop, file explorer and open dialog boxes in all applications. Why is this a problem? Why was I previously using a registry tweak to remove the new immersive context menu? Just look at it! Please, just look at it, and imagine you have eyesight problems of your own.

tinyurl page link - http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=mua9t5&s=9
direct image link - http://oi68.tinypic.com/mua9t5.jpg

I believe the image speaks for itself in terms of the problems that removing the old Windows code presents for disabled users.

1. light grey selection color on white background is hard to see from a distance.

2. this new wide context menu ignores advanced display settings, such as bold text.

For the majority of people without disabilities, or eyesight problems, the visual presentation used by the new immersive context menu likely poses zero issues. It might be unsightly or annoying, but it does not present an actual issue for them to contend with. As I say, I was already using a workaround to restore the old context menu, which I didn't mind having to do, but now even that has been taken away.

To further cause greif, it is not possible to ''freeze'' windows 10 on a certain build, and never recieve further Windows Updates, is it? So even if I were to leave the Insiders Program, I would eventually have to accept the update again once it hits the general public release ring. Unless, I'm lead to believe, the ''Products team'' will see this post, and I manage to do a good enough job at proving the struggle for disabled people caused by what, as-far-as-i-can-tell, amounts to a simple design choice. If that fails, I believe my only course of action would be to instal Windows 8.1 on every new machine I purchase going-forward. But even that isn't a good enough solution because there can be software tied to Windows 10-forward Operating Systems, an example being Sony's PlayStation 4 Remote Play app.

Can we please get some help? Just re-instate the registry values for us to continue using the reg tweak workaround, and most of the general public who aren't disabled can continue-on blissfully unaware that there was ever a problem to begin with. I am feeling very unhappy at this moment in time, seemingly being able to do nothing to fix the problem myself, and feeling like different public-facing support teams are also unable to help.

42 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

ksdixon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ksdixon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a random note: the new File Explorer context menu doesn't affect "all" FE menus. For example, if you are renaming a file and select part of the filename and right-click to copy/paste, this is an instance where the old FE context menu shows through - even after the 1809 removal of the "flighted features" reg key discussed in opening post.

The latest insider build seems to get worse, visually. It has a pure white selection hover color against the white "light theme" FE context menu.

Personally, I don't understand why the reg key can't be re-enable, or why the right-click selection color cannot be made to reflect the accent color you choose in settings > personalisation > color, You know, the one that gets applied to the FE titlebars and the tasks/start menu?

For now I've attempted to force install 1803 and then disable all windows updates. Whilst this "worked", I was able to make the context menu have bold text and the old-style blue selection color, 1803 has File Explorer freezes/slowdown bug, and OneDrive's system tray icon seems broken so I can't access OneDrive's settings/sync folder choice properly.

I'll try 1709, I guess.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

also shellstyle.dll ís missing in system32 I am using features from that file and dont want it removed

• James King commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow, removing useful stuff like Google. Why not remove bloatwares instead Microsoft?

• Rikka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree

Please brings back the "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\FlightedFeatures\ImmersiveContextMenu"!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When making changes to the UI, please keep ALL of your users in mind, not just the ones with excellent vision. Low contrast between elements of the UI may be the trend, but give us the option to select high contrast colours and larger fonts.

Feedback and Knowledge Base