Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Welcome to Microsoft’s Accessibility Feedback forum. We are very interested in learning more about what products, features, and tools will delight our customers. Please share your ideas with us and remember to vote for ideas posted by others that you also think are great.

If you accidentally came here in need of technical support, please reach out to our Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team

Give us feedback on Microsoft accessibility and how we can improve?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Giving microsoft photos the option to have the windows movie maker layout for blind users.

It would be nice to have the photos app to work or have the option to work just like the old windows movie maker since it was so blind friendly. We could make videos without asking for sighted help back then. Now we have to ask someone to make our videos YouTube ready which doesn't always work out for us.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Windows Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Narrator suggestions

When installing windows from a flash dive it would be nice to have narrator speak during the windows setup process. This would benefit the blind and visually impaired. Also it would be nice to be able to use narrator while in the bios.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Narrator read selected text

Narrator has an hotkey to 'Read previous line'. It should also have a hotkey for 'Read the selected text'.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Automatic language switch no work with Arabic.

I want to use Narrator but does not support automatic conversion between Arabic and other languages.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Windows Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Narrator should read date picker control

Narrator does not read a sysdatetimepick32 control.

There is an example of this control in the microsoft sample program:
    In classic samples: Win7Samples\winui\sideshow\alarms

This request is prompted by narrator not reading these date pickers in the Audacity audio editor.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. My feedback is about Narrator in Windows 10S.

Hello. I have recently been made aware that Microsoft Surface products Have begun shipping with microsoft’s signature secure OS, Windows 10S. This means that only applications from the Microsoft Store can be installed on these devices. I understand that for many years, Microsoft has relied heavily on its partnerships with screen reader manufacturers such as Freedom Scientific and NVDA. However, if Windows 10S is truly going to be the future of Windows OS, the time may be fast approaching for Narrator screen reader to become a fully functioning screen reader, able to be compatible with every native Windows/Microsoft program, as…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Advice regarding the options for sound devices.

I recently got a headset with a mic and really struggled to get the mic to work. I was able to hear audio just fine but when I tried skyping with some friends, no one could hear my voice. For a long time, I thought I made a mistake perhaps by plugging in the mic in the wrong port, or there was something else at fault.

It turned out that I needed to boost the volume of the MIC in the property options under the recording tab for my MIC in the Sound window. I had gone to this screen…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Narrator+Up Arrow for everything, please

first of all, thanks for bringing traditional keyboard commands to Narrator, that really helps. However, I would like to suggest you to match other screen readers' experience in one point: the Narrator+Up Arrow (or, I believe, Narrator+I in more Narrator'esque terms) reads the current line, which is nice and good. However, if I'm not on a line of *text*, Narrator dings at me and says like "Not in explorable text". Actually, whenever you press Insert+Up Arrow when using other screen readers, you always get feedback: if you're in File Explorer, you get the focused file or folder; if you're on…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Narrator support for Google Chrome

Hi it would be really helpful if Windows Narrator was made accessible for Google Chrome as a lot of people have their data saved in their Google account and it is a lot easier to keep your info synced across all of your devices e.g. your android phone and PC and Chromebooks. I would like to see Narrator work the same way in Chrome as it works in Internet explorer. I would also appreciate if you allow scripting for Narrator as it does not work with companies own programs.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. fix TYPOS ..first sentence .. 2010site https://support.office.com/en-us/article/accessibility-features-6bd45f08-4002-4261-a18b-f28a

there is a typo in the first sentence of the Accessibility Features page located at https://support.office.com/en-us/article/accessibility-features-6bd45f08-4002-4261-a18b-f28a944e49b6?ocmsassetID=HA010369400&CorrelationId=8f0795ed-7fb7-439a-bba8-b5277a4256b1&ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

TYPO ..first sentence .. "2010site"

Makes it really hard to report web errors to your web master with your current "contact us" feature. Suggest a easier notification process for these types of issues.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. NARRATOR IS THE WORST APP I HAVE EVER USED

THE STUPIS APP IS CONSTANTLY READING BACK EVERY CHARACTER I WRITE BUT I CANNNOT GET IT TO READ A DOCUMENT OF LOVE OR MONEY. I ALSO CAN'T FIND A SIMPLE EASY TO USE DOCUMENT THAT TELLS ME HOW TO ASK IT TO READ A DOCUMENT. I HAVE A READING DIFFICULTLY I CAN'T PROCESS 30 SHEETS OF CONFUSING INSTRUCTTIONS!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Different voices for Read Aloud in Word

The default voice on Read Aloud makes it difficult to use for its purpose. When it reads your document, it sounds very awfully robotic and monotone. It's hard to listen to your own document. It really is hard to listen to it or even revise while listening because you get distracted by how awful the voice sounds. I would suggest different voices, male and female as well. Most of all, a more natural sounding voice.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add the ability to reset Narrator settings to factory defaults.

Please add an option to reset all Narrator settings to the default values. This could be helpful in many different situations, especially when troubleshooting problems or if someone wants to undo a bunch of changes and start from scratch.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add Narrator support in the Windows Advanced Startup menu.

When accessing the Advanced Startup menu, Narrator cannot be used. This is the menu you access from settings>update&Security>Recovery that allows you to do things like boot from a disk, access system image backup, etc. When I access this menu, I receive no speech feedback. Pressing Control+Windows+Enter does nothing. If I press it too many times, the computer reboots into Windows again. This is another one of those essential features that needs to be completed ASAP! As someone planning to enter the IT field, this is essential if I want to independently troubleshoot Windows, boot from external drives, etc. Ideally, I'd…

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Windows Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Hi no screen reader reads copy/move percentage in windows 10, not even narrator. JAWS used to read it every 10 seconds in windows xp/7.

I did find kind of an inconsistent workaround however, if you have more information highlighted, you can press the alt key which brings up some sort of a menu, but often, that menu goes away and you have to keep doing it. I know you can press insert t or b in JAWS to read the percentage, but that is really annoying after a while, especially if you are copying many gigs of files/folders. Thanks.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Natural sounding voices

If you could have more natural sounding voices for ease of access options. I am a college student, and I have difficulties with learning if I cant hear it and read it and see it, I struggle. When the voices sound synthesized and computerized, I can't focus at all i can only focus on the voice and how irritating it sounds not to be rude at all. But it is almost like nails on a chalkboard and affects me worse than not having the read-aloud option.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Your auto update system for windows is rude, harassing, and worthless!!!!!!!!!

Your auto update system for windows is rude, harassing, and worthless!!!!!!!!!! You take control of "MY COMPUTER" and force it to update and then it takes forever, I can't work, and then it of course it fails "AGAIN", with the OOPS screen, then takes another 1/2 hour to restore my previous version of windows. And it won't stop doing this. I can't turn it off or stop it, or decide that I don't want to update until a year from now when your stupid ******* update actually works!!!!!!!!!!!! YOUR PROGRAMMERS SUCK AND BILL GATES IS CAN ROT IN ****!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Make Chinese IME Microsoft Pinyin accesssible to other screen readers

Only narrator can read candidate item of Chinese input method. Other screen reader cannot get candidate item of Microsoft Pinyin through ITfUIElementSink

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Enable Cortana and Narrator to work together without them both talking on top of one another.

Narrator and Cortana talk on top of each other when I use both at the same time.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base