Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Welcome to Microsoft’s Accessibility Feedback forum. We are very interested in learning more about what products, features, and tools will delight our customers. Please share your ideas with us and remember to vote for ideas posted by others that you also think are great.

If you accidentally came here in need of technical support, please reach out to our Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team

I suggest you ...

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 3 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Windows Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Play sounds for interface elements in Narrator

Productivity is a huge part of everyone's life nowadays, and blind people are no different. We want to be as fast and efficient as possible, doubly so to keep up with sighted counterparts. Speech is a great way to access information, but for repeating information it just gets in the way. Sound is a better solution for showing what interface element a user has landed on, because it only takes a few milliseconds to play, whereas speech can be either the same length, or up to a second based on how fast speech is talking. These sounds could replace the…

8 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Windows Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Add a GUI to manage which apps use Scan Mode

Please add a dialog box that lists all apps where Scan Mode has been set to automatically turn on. The user should be able to delete items from the list.

3 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Narrator doesn't always focus when I press Windows R, Windows X, or Windows I.

This issue has been around for quite some time and is still present in the April 2018 update. When I press Windows+R, I or X, Narrator doesn't always put the focus on the window or menu that appears. I find I have to press the command a second or third time for it to work correctly. This is especially annoying when trying to access the run dialog box. When I press Windows+R, I must press alt+tab to cycle to the dialog box. This behavior doesn't occur with other screen readers. When I press the command, NVDA correctly moves the focus…

3 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add the ability to disable phonetics in Narrator

While it's great that Narrator now reads phonetic representations for characters, there is no way to disable it. This means I have to listen to it say things like alpha, charlie, etc when I move by character when all I really want is just the character spoken. Please add a toggle to disable this behavior for those who don't wish to use it.

3 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add the ability for Narrator to play sounds instead of speaking formatting information.

Narrator, at this time, uses spoken prompts to describe formatting. This requires more ability to parse information than print-reading people need to. Print readers don't hear "this is a bold test end bold." They see the bolded word or phrase. The blind should have the same experience, or as close as possible. There are two ways this may be achieved. Sounds for different formatting information may be played, but over time these may become confusing to the blind user as to what exactly is going on with the font if the sounds are too similar. The other option is the…

8 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Windows Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Narrator's behavior and suggestions

Hi,

During scan mode on web browser, when I press "h" to move heading by heading, Narrator initially speaks "heading level 1 (2, 3, etc.)" and then speaks the title.

I would like narrator to speak a title and then "heading level" WHEN I PRESS "h".

It's similar to other screen readers like JAWS and NVDA.

I also have an issue with news.google.com - When I pressed "h" in Internet Explorer, the Narrator skipped headings for headlines, but JAWS and NVDA can can do that.

And for Microsoft Edge, Narrator can jump to headings nicely, but it initially spoke URL…

4 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Make Narrator text to speech voice more human like

Please make it sound less robotic

2 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Windows Server Core Accessibility

Windows 10 accessibility is great but there is no thought about accessibility on the Windows Server Core development. I am completely blind and I need to use Windows Server Core. Maybe allow the enabling of an SSH server in an answer file that can be passed to the installer just like previous versions of Windows installs. Then I could ssh to the server core instance and have full access.

5 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Hi no screen reader reads copy/move percentage in windows 10, not even narrator. JAWS used to read it every 10 seconds in windows xp/7.

I did find kind of an inconsistent workaround however, if you have more information highlighted, you can press the alt key which brings up some sort of a menu, but often, that menu goes away and you have to keep doing it. I know you can press insert t or b in JAWS to read the percentage, but that is really annoying after a while, especially if you are copying many gigs of files/folders. Thanks.

2 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add the ability to reset Narrator settings to factory defaults.

Please add an option to reset all Narrator settings to the default values. This could be helpful in many different situations, especially when troubleshooting problems or if someone wants to undo a bunch of changes and start from scratch.

3 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add Braille reading and editing modes

When using a Braille display, we have two main uses of the display. Reading entails using spacial information and formatting. Editing is more able to show accurate, print layout information with formatting in a print manner. When reading, headings should be close to the center of the Braille display's width. When editing they should be shown symbolically, like (H1). When reading, italics should be shown using Braille formatting depending on the Braille output table and language. When editing, they can be shown with print indicators, like (I) (end I). The same could be done with separators on web pages, and…

3 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• show me how to use Narrator through a SINGLE page, rather than 97.44 "chapters."

I've had NO success in learning how to use Narrator, compared to great success in learning the other features in Ease of Access. All of the support documentation linked to Narrator is gibberish at this point because it is too convoluted. Show me how to get it started before making me read every detail. Show me in a succinct document that allows me to understand the basics before reviewing EVERY detail.

3 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add Narrator support in the Windows Advanced Startup menu.

When accessing the Advanced Startup menu, Narrator cannot be used. This is the menu you access from settings>update&Security>Recovery that allows you to do things like boot from a disk, access system image backup, etc. When I access this menu, I receive no speech feedback. Pressing Control+Windows+Enter does nothing. If I press it too many times, the computer reboots into Windows again. This is another one of those essential features that needs to be completed ASAP! As someone planning to enter the IT field, this is essential if I want to independently troubleshoot Windows, boot from external drives, etc. Ideally, I'd…

14 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Windows Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Using Narrator should be a way to earn points in Microsoft rewards

Microsoft Rewards is a great way to support Microsoft, then have Microsoft support you. Narrator is growing with every new release of Windows 10, and I feel that blind users of other screen readers should try Narrator more often. A good way to facilitate this is by having Narrator usage drive up points in Microsoft Rewards, and perhaps having accessibility-based rewards, like being the next voice in a Microsoft TTS engine, or choosing the next feature to be worked on for Narrator. This would definitely bring more blind people to using Narrator, and expand Microsoft's reach into accessibility and feedback.…

3 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Dictionary feature for Narrator

The narrator doesn't support customizing pronunciation feature for specific words. For instance, if narrator pronounces some words incorrectly, Narrator can change the pronunciation in dictionary setting like JAWS and NVDA.

2 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Support emojis with screen reader

I heard that from sources claiming that users can use variety of emojis by pressing Windows-key plus period or Windows-key plus semicolon to open the dialogue and choose any emoji that they want it for social media. However, screen readers like Jaws doesn't support this feature. Should you make it accessible?

2 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add a toggle to echo user's keystrokes in Narrator.

In Windows 10 insider preview 17115.1, Narrator won't echo keys like the arrow keys, tab, shift, control, windows, escape, and many others. Not sure if this is a bug or by design, but would someone tell me if this Narrator behavior will be released along with Windows 10 version 1803? But what is a bug is that typing tabs in notepad, wordpad, and other text editing programs is silent. To reproduce, open your preferred Microsoft text editor, such as notepad or wordpad. Press tab. Notice that Narrator stays silent, but using the arrow keys to move around the text will…

3 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Natural sounding voices

If you could have more natural sounding voices for ease of access options. I am a college student, and I have difficulties with learning if I cant hear it and read it and see it, I struggle. When the voices sound synthesized and computerized, I can't focus at all i can only focus on the voice and how irritating it sounds not to be rude at all. But it is almost like nails on a chalkboard and affects me worse than not having the read-aloud option.

6 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Remake the voices of the narrator

For a better understanding, Microsoft needs to redo the voices and even use machine learning to further refine it over time

4 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base