Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Welcome to Microsoft’s Accessibility Feedback forum. We are very interested in learning more about what products, features, and tools will delight our customers. Please share your ideas with us and remember to vote for ideas posted by others that you also think are great.

If you accidentally came here in need of technical support, please reach out to our Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Windows Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add the ability to disable phonetics in Narrator

While it's great that Narrator now reads phonetic representations for characters, there is no way to disable it. This means I have to listen to it say things like alpha, charlie, etc when I move by character when all I really want is just the character spoken. Please add a toggle to disable this behavior for those who don't wish to use it.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Add Narrator support in the Windows Advanced Startup menu.

When accessing the Advanced Startup menu, Narrator cannot be used. This is the menu you access from settings>update&Security>Recovery that allows you to do things like boot from a disk, access system image backup, etc. When I access this menu, I receive no speech feedback. Pressing Control+Windows+Enter does nothing. If I press it too many times, the computer reboots into Windows again. This is another one of those essential features that needs to be completed ASAP! As someone planning to enter the IT field, this is essential if I want to independently troubleshoot Windows, boot from external drives, etc. Ideally, I'd…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Windows Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add the ability to reset Narrator settings to factory defaults.

Please add an option to reset all Narrator settings to the default values. This could be helpful in many different situations, especially when troubleshooting problems or if someone wants to undo a bunch of changes and start from scratch.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Windows Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Dictionary feature for Narrator

The narrator doesn't support customizing pronunciation feature for specific words. For instance, if narrator pronounces some words incorrectly, Narrator can change the pronunciation in dictionary setting like JAWS and NVDA.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Hi no screen reader reads copy/move percentage in windows 10, not even narrator. JAWS used to read it every 10 seconds in windows xp/7.

I did find kind of an inconsistent workaround however, if you have more information highlighted, you can press the alt key which brings up some sort of a menu, but often, that menu goes away and you have to keep doing it. I know you can press insert t or b in JAWS to read the percentage, but that is really annoying after a while, especially if you are copying many gigs of files/folders. Thanks.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Natural sounding voices

If you could have more natural sounding voices for ease of access options. I am a college student, and I have difficulties with learning if I cant hear it and read it and see it, I struggle. When the voices sound synthesized and computerized, I can't focus at all i can only focus on the voice and how irritating it sounds not to be rude at all. But it is almost like nails on a chalkboard and affects me worse than not having the read-aloud option.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Using Narrator should be a way to earn points in Microsoft rewards

Microsoft Rewards is a great way to support Microsoft, then have Microsoft support you. Narrator is growing with every new release of Windows 10, and I feel that blind users of other screen readers should try Narrator more often. A good way to facilitate this is by having Narrator usage drive up points in Microsoft Rewards, and perhaps having accessibility-based rewards, like being the next voice in a Microsoft TTS engine, or choosing the next feature to be worked on for Narrator. This would definitely bring more blind people to using Narrator, and expand Microsoft's reach into accessibility and feedback.…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. show me how to use Narrator through a SINGLE page, rather than 97.44 "chapters."

I've had NO success in learning how to use Narrator, compared to great success in learning the other features in Ease of Access. All of the support documentation linked to Narrator is gibberish at this point because it is too convoluted. Show me how to get it started before making me read every detail. Show me in a succinct document that allows me to understand the basics before reviewing EVERY detail.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Remake the voices of the narrator

For a better understanding, Microsoft needs to redo the voices and even use machine learning to further refine it over time

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Letting screenreaders read the Settings information

Some details or information on the Settings screen cannot be read by a screenreader. Some way, it has to be expressed that the data has to be accessed. It just can't be read by either Narrator, the screenreader or the JAWS mode. Was trying to find my "Last Backup date" and it only gave me buttons to backup and such, though the information was there on that same page.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Windows Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allow Narrator to unmute the system sound device

Narrator should check the system output device when ever it is activated. If the sound device is muted, Narrator should automatically unmute it and set the volume to a value such as 50% so that it is audible. If the sound device is working properly, Narrator should do nothing and start normally. This would be a great help when trying to work with a system where the sound was muted. By pressing Control+Windows+Enter, the screen reader starts and the sound device is unmuted and set to a relatively high volume.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Narrator Create a video reading a word document, an excel spreadsheet, and internet explorer website. I find the narrator giving level blank

Narrator Create a video reading a word document, an excel spreadsheet, and internet explorer website. I find the narrator giving level blank,level blankity blank confusing for a sighted viewer who does not know html.
    Narrator could certainly benefit from a gamified tutorial with the option of turning off the level this or that announcement. If all else fails have a tutorial on JAWS.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. I

I am so thankful you are testing the new keyboard shortcuts in narrator you are introducing in narrator that will make it more like the other screenreaders if implemented. One feature I would really like added to narrator is to place a bookmark in a webpage, like if you were listening to a long webpage or ebook Edge it could place a bookmark there so if open the browser later it would come back to the same spot where you left off. Thanks, David

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add a GUI to manage which apps use Scan Mode

Please add a dialog box that lists all apps where Scan Mode has been set to automatically turn on. The user should be able to delete items from the list.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Narrator doesn't always focus when I press Windows R, Windows X, or Windows I.

This issue has been around for quite some time and is still present in the April 2018 update. When I press Windows+R, I or X, Narrator doesn't always put the focus on the window or menu that appears. I find I have to press the command a second or third time for it to work correctly. This is especially annoying when trying to access the run dialog box. When I press Windows+R, I must press alt+tab to cycle to the dialog box. This behavior doesn't occur with other screen readers. When I press the command, NVDA correctly moves the focus…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. bug report windows setup and narrator navvegateing item lists such as time and currency format list

windows setup running narrator to install windows 10 v1803
    problem when trying to change time and currency format from english u.s to english u.k when navvegateing
    if you up arrow once narrator should tell me that the item has changed eg time and currency format: english united kingdom instead, i get silence when arrowing up and down the list could this be fixed?
    stepps to reproduce
    run windows 10 1803 install dvd with narrator running
    tab once to time and currency format box up and down arrow what should happen?
    narrator should tell us what the item is that we…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base