Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Welcome to Microsoft’s Accessibility Feedback forum. We are very interested in learning more about what products, features, and tools will delight our customers. Please share your ideas with us and remember to vote for ideas posted by others that you also think are great.

If you accidentally came here in need of technical support, please reach out to our Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team

I suggest you ...

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add Speech to Windows BIOS

The most inaccessible part of Windows is the BIOS. There is no way for a blind person to change the BIOS by them selves and it is almost impossible to have someone on your phone read the screen that is on the bios over the phone.
    This means that I need to have someone who is comfortable with working on the innards of the computer, who I trust, following directions from someone who has no idea what they should be looking for.
    This is the only time where Narrator has an advantage over other screen readers.
    Please allow some access…

4 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Make the GitHub contribution chart accessible

With the recent acquisition of GitHub, I am hoping Microsoft can help to make parts of it more accessible. The contribution chart in particular is a mess. It is completely keyboard inaccessible, its hit areas are too small, it offers no cues for what is interactive, its contrast is poor, it is not exposed to screen readers in any way, and it is not even responsive.

As a coding experiment I outlined these issues and made a WCAG 2.1 AA compliant version and shared it with GitHub in the hopes they would use it:

http://adrianroselli.com/2018/02/github-contributions-chart.html

6 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • I’m trying to access my hotmail account. I have not been on this account for I’m not even sure how long. The password that I used for this ?

I’m trying to get into my Hotmail account but haven’t been very successful. 4 years ago I was in a horrific accident and now I suffer from memory issues. Anyways I used the same password to get into my laptop that I used for my Hotmail account and I really need help getting my account information. Can anybody please please please help me??

2 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Go back to having an email contacts. Sometimes it is just a lot easier to email, especially if I want to attach a screen print.

Why not go back to being able to contact you by EMAIL?? Sometimes we like to attach something to explain the problem better.
          I'm afraid you've lost the idea of "Ease of Access" or at least for help.

4 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

• I thought Jan 31st was latest for free upgrade to Windows 10. Please extend.

Please extend the free upgrade to Windows 10 for accessibility users.

36 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Stop forcing us oldies to accept complicated ideas

Please stop blocking my e-mail by forcing acceptance of a complicated new process. I just want to be able to use my present e-mail, but the big ad on the screen won't yield.

1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add de-neo ergonomic Keyboard layout to default Windows installation

Add the german "Neo ergonomisch optimiert" keyboard layout (comparable to Dvorjak which is already shipped with windows).
                This can be installed already by individual users, a default install would help with switching machines often or workplace machines without admin rights.
                http://neo-layout.org/

2 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• I too have a disability

I was in a horrific accident 4 years ago. I’m now paralyzed from the waist down. I have not mastered my core strength yet so I spend a lot of time laying in bed or sitting in my wheelchair. My problem is I need an idea on how to ***** my laptop on my lap so I can access the keyboard and see the screen without straining my neck. Also while I am sitting in my wheelchair I tend to fight with the issue of my laptop sliding off of my lap. Any ideas you have to help me would…

2 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Change system fonts for dyslexic assessability. Include system font(s) such as open dyslexic for folks.

Tool in settings to change system fonts such as open dyslexic for explorer and edge.

2 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Keep doing disability support!

it is excellent, i have epilepsy and get stressed out. Thank you!! MS support 24/7 is wonderful!

2 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Please allow Outlook 2016 to say "message"

I am trying to make Outlook 2016 the best screen reader it can be for people who are blind or visually impaired, or for others with disabilities.

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• 2 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• I suggest that, if possible, you should find a way to identify disabled people, and offer windows 10 free, but without having it public.

I suggest that, if possible, you should find a way to identify disabled people, and offer windows 10 free, but without having it public. I think that it should work with a link sent through mail, or a key, if you don't want healthy people to use the free option.
                            There are people like me, who were under a rock or so, and found out only recently that windows 10 was released. Sadly, not all countries give disabled people enough money to get windows licences. That's why I ask, if possible, for those people to get help. Right now i'm…

2 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Implement scanning access for switch users to Windows please.

While the new Eye Control is a game changer for many people with physical access difficulties, it doesn't necessarily t work for folk that may need switch access through the OS. Currently only third party programs can do this via floating onscreen keyboards (ACAT, Grid 3, Communicator 5) - but a more elegant and robust solution would be to allow access directly to OS UI elements. An alternative might be to implement a basic and customisable onscreen keyboard in Ease of Access that allowed interaction with Windows (perhaps even bring ACAT radar mouse control into Win10?.

5 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Extremely difficult to use and access. What is the waiting period about? Just want to erase my searches. Not at all easy to use.

When I sign in and get a code do not make me get another and then say it takes several weeks to use. This is stupid. Make Microsoft for us dummies who are who we say we are and just want to do simple things like erase search history.

2 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Windows Classic emulators

I know this may not seem like an appropriate location for this suggestion, but I had a thought this morning. Since many people find Windows intimidating, why provide a sort of backwards compatibility for the user. What I mean is a $20 VM that emulates previous Windows environments for those who are too scared of the newest Windows OSes. In essence, it would be sort of like training wheels for Windows.

For example, for students with learning disabilities, they could ease into the modern Windows by starting in Win 95. Since older Windows versions tended to be far less feature…

2 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Please make the onscreen keyboard available on the Bitlocker password login screen

I have a physical disability and rely on using the onscreen keyboard to type. Currently (as far as I know) the onscreen keyboard is only available on the Bitlocker decrypt screen when using a touch screen. Please make this keyboard available to use with the mouse also.

5 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • App For Blind Programmers

Hi, my name is Annabelle.
                                      I am a blind woman who is a beginner at programming language and application design, and I have an important question for you. I wonder if there's a program for blind programmers to create their own apps, with keystrokes that let them insert controls into panel-like screens. For example, I want to make an ambient sound generator software similar to Atmosphere Deluxe http://www.vectormediasoftware.com/atmdeluxehome.htm, but instead of designing it with Visual Basic, I want to help Vectormedia Software redesign their interface with a programming language that can be recognized by all operating systems (Mac, Windows,…

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Phone verification on suspended account.

Microsoft account is suspended. Instruction said put enter the phone number for sending verification code. My phone number has no function of SMS. There are no alternative way to verification. I hope to verify by phone call.

2 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• an opt-in feature for more visible ctrls w/ Edge [ when large screen display ]

an opt-in feature for more visible ctrls w/ Edge [ when large screen display is used ]

2 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base