Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Welcome to Microsoft’s Accessibility Feedback forum. We are very interested in learning more about what products, features, and tools will delight our customers. Please share your ideas with us and remember to vote for ideas posted by others that you also think are great.

If you accidentally came here in need of technical support, please reach out to our Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team

Give us feedback on Microsoft accessibility and how we can improve?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Can't use keyboard to select what table elements to delete in Word for Mac 16.23 (190309).

In a Word table, pressing the "Delete" key brings up a dialog where the user selects what precisely is deleted and/or how the resulting cells are configured.

In previous versions of Word for Mac, the radio buttons could be selected with the arrow keys.

This functionality appears to have been removed in recent updates (including the one captioned above).

This should be reinstated as it is an accessibility issue for users for whom mouse / trackpad use is restricted.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Word - Office Accessiblity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Accessibility Features for Publisher

I am working in Publisher 2010 (Part of MS Office Professional Plus 2010) and I am looking for resources on creating accessible content. I noticed that there is no accessibility checker. Also, even when I used defined parts like "Headings" and then export to a PDF, those tags are not preserved. I was considering upgrading to the new publisher but I don't see any signs that that has those features either. I am very well versed in using the accessibility features and creating accessible content from Word and PPT, so I was expecting the same functionality in Publisher.

It seems…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Word - Office Accessiblity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. document formatting with VoiceOver on iOS

VoiceOver with Word on iOS does not read formatting, such as underlined or bold text, line spacing, ETC. This would be a valuable feature for those of us who are working and need to work on documents on the go, in situations where formatting matters.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Word - Office Accessiblity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Microsoft Company should be able to be reached by emails from disgruntled customers with disabilities.

I personally purchased a Toshiba Laptop with a CD player and Ten Key for my online schooling then became disabled and had to stop going to school online. I also purchased Office 365 for an additional 120.00 dollars. I got the computer home, now mind you this was in 2013, I tried my best to install the office program and to this day in 2019 it is on the computer I purchased and I still cannot get in it came with several months of Office 365 free. My point is, I cannot get into the program to take advantage of…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Word - Office Accessiblity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. How to Find Musical Symbols Using Microsoft Word

Dear Sir or Madam:

I went to the "Symbols" section on Microsoft Word; and I have had trouble finding musical symbols, like notes and clefs. Do you know any commands that will help me find musical symbols on Microsoft Word? If you have the answers, please let me have the exact instructions. In other words, list all of the exact commands, listing the buttons to press on a computer.

After you get all of the instructions, please send the information to me as soon as possible.

I thank you in advance and hope to receive your correspondence.

Best regards,

W.…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Please provide keyboard access for selecting photos once they are inserted into a Word 2016 document so that Alt Text can be added. So fand

Please add the ability to select/highlight a photo with the keyboard once it is inserted into a Word doc. Presently this can only be done with a mouse or trackpad, and desktop computers don't have trackpads so those users are left out. This task is needed for accessing the Format Picture process so that alt text can be added to an inserted photo.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Ability to change Office Toolbar colors while working in High Contrast mode

Currently, Office themes (in Word, Excel, PPT) are disabled while working in High Contrast mode. Subsequently, the HC users cannot modify the colors of Tool bars and Menu bars in Office products. Please consider adding more flexibility so that the user can manage the Office themes and/or tool/menu bar colors in Word/Excel/PPT while working in HC modes. Thanks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Line width for large fonts in Word

My wife uses Mac Word v 16.19. She is visually handicapped and must use a 76 point font. But that means she can only type about 20 characters per line. We cannot figure out how to create a document that allows lines to contain more characters / line. Every setting I try in word (margins etc.) seems hard coded to limit line width. She writes on a new Mac desktop os there is plenty of physical width to her desktop and the Word app viewport scales to full width but the writing area does not. I was in touch with…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. New MS Office file type for accessible files

I have completed Microsoft Office accessibility training and would like to share an idea I had. Some normal functions for creating an accessible word/office document do not work with screen readers, like JAWS. There were several functions that do not work with popular methods of creating MS Word content, specifically Copy/paste of tables from excel and copy/paste of images from the web. Since restricting copy/paste functions is not a realistic solution for this problem, I think Microsoft should create a new MS Office file type for accessible files, maybe xxxx.doca for example. This new file type could notify the user…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. in office 365 word, it would be great if there were schemes for sertain types of writing within pellchecker. this would allow, for exa

in word office 365, there could be schemes set up so not all documents are spell checked in the same way. there could be schemes for informal writing, such as a story, where characters don't speak the most concise english, as well as formal writing spell and grammer check too. this would enable users to customise the spellchecker to the task at hand.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Pasting in word

After pasting a word in the middle of a paragraph written in Microsoft word, the icon in which you chose the type of pasting you want, sticks! And hides words under. So maybe making that icon appear and go after sometime or appear and then disappear and only appear if you put the cursor on the word pasted, something like that :D! Have a great day,
    Khalil Bahir

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Office for Mac - No Alt Key Shortcuts

I'm an assistive technology instructor for the visually impaired. I have the opportunity of teaching my students on Windows as well as MacOS, whichever they are comfortable with. In my recent experiences with Office for Mac, not just Word, I am noticing that there are no "alt key" shortcuts like there are in Windows. For example, on Windows, I can tell my student to press Alt+h, 7 to change between the different cases; or Alt + n, t to bring up the Insert Table user interface.

Building this functionality into Office for Mac would be a huge benefit for users…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Report for disability deaf

hi microsoft, im trutly deaf with 2 hearing impair, i have been report twice someone who really rude, and it still didnt work. So how am i supposed to do when someone really rude? if you dont anything for disability deaf or normal disability or cancer childern in many world. What are you going to about it. So please help us we have been pleased... Help us Microsoft

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Word document tracking colors in High Contrast (and a bug)

Document tracking colors don't currently show up in High Contrast. Would be nice if they did.

Also, for some reason, some text in Word docs comes through as black so it can't be read in High Contrast mode. This shows up with text in the same paragraph with the same font styles that are visible.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Edits in immersive reader

Would love to be able to edit my text in word while it’s displayed in immersive reader. Toggling back and forth can be difficult for our more involved students.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. MS word should allow connectivity to an embosser

MS Word has a braille font which changes text into braille. Unfortunately MS word does not connect to an embosser so teachers cannot print out documents for their blind students to allow them access the document in braille. Currently, teachers need to cut text from Word documents and copy it into another software program called Duxbury which allows braille to be sent to the embosser. I would like Microsoft to be more inclusive and allow for better translation of text to braille and embossing.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. make the BeeLine Reader plugin available for Microsoft Word.

I currently use the BeeLine Reader plugin for my browser, which helps making dense text passages easier to read. As a legal professional, I would really like to be able to utilize this feature in Microsoft Word but I was told that the plugin architecture does not support BeeLine. Would you please consider adding it? Thank you!

66 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

25 comments  ·  Word - Office Accessiblity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Narrator should indicate form fields in word

Narrator currently doesn't indicate form fields in word for example text boxes for typing, and checkboxes or radio buttons.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. I cannot my paid for game on-line! This denies my accessability

I would like to use the game I have paid for and not be told it is off-line!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base