Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Welcome to Microsoft’s Accessibility Feedback forum. We are very interested in learning more about what products, features, and tools will delight our customers. Please share your ideas with us and remember to vote for ideas posted by others that you also think are great.

If you accidentally came here in need of technical support, please reach out to our Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team

I suggest you ...

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Ability to change background colour in Office 2016

Office themes can be personalised in the options menu, however the background behind the pages or slides cannot be changed from the defaults of each theme. Being visually impaired I like a contrast between the white pages/slides and the background colour. I liked the silver in 2010, but in Office 2016 only the colourful office theme has the background colour I want, but I don't like the colourful theme at the top. Can you allow for more options to change just the background colour of Office apps so that the best contrast can be chosen.

2 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello,

Thank yo for contacting us with this suggestion. We weill look into this and give you updates as to where we are in the process of possible implimentation and when it’s avaialable.

If you have further questions, issues, or suggestions, please feel free to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team.

• Hello my name is Mawa Akile Francis I live in a small town called Adjumani in northen Uganda.I am a self employed man age 57 as Bookseller

I started a forum in a facebook page using a smartphone Android as self training learner.
      I have three facebook pages in all of them I focuses mainly posting opinions,ideas,comments and analysis which talks about arms/weapons; wars;defense and security.
      One page;Westway Analysis is like a forum where anyone can share an opinion,comments views about international affairs.
      Another one Unite Leaders;tells about leaders coming together in tackling regional issues as an immediate pre requisites avert conflicts.
      The last one is The Parent; which expresses commitments and responsibilities; as an inevitable factor that minimizes tendencies of many becoming lawless and disorderly a…

2 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

• 8 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us with your feature request. we are currently investigating on how to impliment this and will keep you up to date as far as the progress made.

Thank you for contacting us, and if there is anything further we can do, please feel free to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk tearm.

• Narrator is too verbose in lists in edge

Narrator is too verbose in lists. The best way to see this is to go to the Microsoft accessibility user voice main page and look through the list of hot ideas. Insure you are in scan mode. Narrator will say "List start list item x of C". It does this repeatedly as I arrow through the list. This is especially annoying if there is more text associated with the list item. What I would prefer to have spoken is "List start" to indicate I'm entering a list, and just the list item with the word bullet if it's a bulleted…

6 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Mike,

Thank you for contacting us about these issues. We are aware that Narrator and some of the other screen readers are having problems working with Edge. Our product teams are working hard to resolve these problems.

We will forward this on to the product team and update you when this issue is fixed.

Again, thank you for contacting us; and if there is anything else we can assist you with, feel free to reach out.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability answer Desk team.

• i need to change the common notification sound for all the apps?

add ability to change notification sound and add custom sounds in my Apps.

2 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Make the out office shading darker

The out of office all day shading on the calendar is too light to be effective. Please go back to the old shading.

4 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Improve the way Word files open with Voiceover

When I open an existing Word file, the Voiceover cursor is on the document layout area. To get to the text, I need to interact, then interact again, before Voiceover says “in edit text”.

And if the document has headers, I need to interact, which takes me to the header area, then move down to the text, then interact again.

Would it be possible, when opening a file, to start with the Voiceover cursor on the text area? This is probably where most users want to be when they open a file – ready to start reading or typing.

I…

4 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Mark,

Thank you for contacting us at the Disability Answer Desk with your suggestions. we appreciate the time and detail you’ve put into them. We will forward this on to our product managers for further consideration and will get back to you when a fix and or implementation for these features is in place.

Thank you again for contacting us, and if there is anything further we can do for you, please feel free o reach out to us again.

Sincerely,

• Ability to export Narrator customized settings and keyboard commands

Narrator is supported in more than 20 languages, however there are many others where Narrator is not supported. It means, that some keyboard commands should be changed manualy if we wanted Narrator to work. examples are Narrator key +brackets. In Slovenian keyboard layout we must press ctrl + alt +f/g or alt(gr) +f/g to type square brackets.
                  If you have only one computer, it will be easy to customise a Narrator but if you had more than five, this procedure would become very frustrated.
                  so until Narrator has not been supported and localised to Slovenian and other languages, I suggest…

4 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us about this suggestion. We will forward this to our product manager as we are making efforts to incorporate functionality with more and more languages.

Again, thank you for contacting us, and in the future, if we can be of further assistance, please feel free to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team.

• googlewifi

googlewifi

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Close Narrator automatically when starting another screen reader

When installing another antivirus product, Windows Defender deactivates itself. Since having two or more screen readers running at the same time impacts negatively on performance and keyboard usability, Narrator should also close and deactivate itself automatically when it detects that the user started another screen reader and configured one to start automatically, before and/or after logon, on the Ease of Access Control Panel applet.
                      This would prevent situations like the following:
                      1. When upgrading to new Insider Preview builds, if the user left Narrator turned on to watch the installation progress, it starts automatically after logging on, even when the…

1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Publicize the developer pages on testing apps for accessibility

I was Binging around and ran across this Microsoft page by accident. I learned about Narrator's development keystroke Caps Lock Plus Shift Plus F12, which causes everything on the screen that is invisible to narrator to also become invisible to the sighted developer. Now, that there is a super awesome feature. Those of us who use apps, and run across one that's not accessible need to be able to email the developer to complain. A good way to do this would be a Microsoft "fix-your-accessibility" app, that would put in some boiler-plate info about your accessibility checking tools for app…

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• The button option in the creators update for narrator is missing from the on-screen gestures list.

Can you please fix the new button option for narrator and the creators build. It is currently missing from the Touch screen gestures list in narrator.

5 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Using Word for Mac with the Voiceover screen reader, the spell check needs several improvements

When using Word for Mac with the Voiceover screen reader, I encounter three problems:

1) If I move the Voiceover focus to the panel that contains the mis-spelt word, and interact with the text, I can delete and/or re-type the mis-spelt word. However, Voiceover goes silent when I do so, making it very hard to know if I have properly corrected the word.

2) When using the Tab key to move through the dialogue, Voiceover frequently fails to announce the “Ignore” button.

3) When I click on one of the buttons – such as “Ignore” – the spell check moves…

3 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello Mark,

Thank you for contacting us at the Disability Answer Desk with your suggestions. we apreciate the time and detail you’ve put into them. We will forward this on to our product managers for further consideration and will get back to you when a fix and or implimentation for these features is in place.

Thank you again for contacting us, and if there is anything further we can do for you,please feel free o reach out to us again.

Sincerely,

• Make the "Microsoft Virtual Academy" more friendly to screen reader users

Currently trying to take the virtual academy course in PowerShell. Tried IE, FireFox, Edge and Chrome; Chrome works the best. Tried NVDA, Narrator and JAWS; JAWS works the best. The control-semicolon keystroke does bring up an accessible view of the slide presentation. But after the first video for the first lesson is done playing (around an hour) there is no play button. I've toggled autoplay on and off, and have gone through the slides and the table of contents. I've pressed ENTER on different items in the contents; nothing plays. I guess the play button is some inaccessible graphic an/or…

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Narrator won't let me review form fields in edge

When typing into the edit boxes on this page or any other pages, I can't navigate character by character with Narrator or move by any other element. It also doesn't announce what I'm backspacing over.

5 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Mike,

Thank you for contacting us about these issues. We are aware that Narrator and some of the other screen readers are having problems working with Edge. Our product teams are working hard to resolve these problems.

We will forward this on to the product team and update you when this issue is fixed.

Again, thank you for contacting us; and if there is anything else we can assist you with, feel free to reach out.

Sincerely,

• Narrator says "Command unavailable when trying to silence the reading of tooltips behind links

When Navigating between pages in edge, Narrator will read tooltips behind links such as the url of the link. I press control to silence this and Narrator will say "Command unavailable.

5 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Mike,

Sincerely,

• Address disabilities that are mental health related

I have a disability that affects the way I interpret 2D, 3D, sound, temperature, light, words and affects my body.
                                    Can you revise the words you use in your products. E.g. Do you want to save your document? Yes or no. Change it to instead ask: Do you want to store your document? Yes or no. And other dialogue boxes wording used in your products. You have a monopoly regarding amount of computers that have your software on. Yet do not currently take into account these forms of disability.

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add the ability to select a sound output device for Narrator

I would like the ability to send Narrator audio to a different sound device. For example, I could keep all my system audio coming through my laptop internal speakers but send Narrator speech and sounds to a USB headset or vice versa. In Narrator settings, there would be a screen that lists all the detected sound output devices. Selecting one of them would immediately cause Narrator to switch from the default Windows audio output device to the selected device.

2 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Offer buyers of Windows 10 S that can prove Disability to obtain Windows 10 Pro for free is so desired.

As mentioned in the piece https://blogs.microsoft.com/on-the-issues/2017/05/18/empowering-more-accessible-inclusive-world/#sm.00001ra7hqt1hem8w161b0uoc87im this offer is for apps that aren't in the store. This should not be limited to such apps, especially on the Surface Laptop that is estimated retail of $999.

3 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Bring back Version 1607 Display Setting settings in Advanced To Help Visually Impaired

The advanced display settings have been removed from Windows Version 1703. These include: "Clear Type Text" settings and "Advanced Sizing of Text and Other Items" settings. Version 1607 had these settings. Please bring them back to help accommodate the visually impaired. The Clear Type Settings help you to read the ext in a darker type. The Advance Sizing settings help to improve reading the title bars, Menus, message Boxes, pallete titles, Icon, and tool tips text, as you could increase the font size and add bolding to the text. I really miss these features and implore you to bring them…

3 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Feedback and Knowledge Base