Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Welcome to Microsoft’s Accessibility Feedback forum. We are very interested in learning more about what products, features, and tools will delight our customers. Please share your ideas with us and remember to vote for ideas posted by others that you also think are great.

If you accidentally came here in need of technical support, please reach out to our Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow thicker frame borders on windows

The high contrast mode is the only way to enable thicker frame borders for windows to improve the poor differentiation between applications in Windows 10.
    Unfortunately the high contrast mode is so invasive in its changes. It makes windows 10 less useable, not more.
    Please add a checkbox list in the high contrast dialog so users can turn on only the features that they need.
    This would allow the enabling of just the thicker borders, which is the only feature I need.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Windows High Contrast  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Needed feature: text masking/scrolling (for stroke/reading difficulties)

This would be helpful in Windows (all applications), or an App for iOS. I work with veterans who frequently have print disabilities due to stroke (hemianopsia or neglect). This makes reading in a crowded environment difficult. It would be helpful if there was a way to mask text so only one line appears at a time, with the option for text scrolling (like a TV ticker) to move text into their "reading view" without having to move their eyes. (This saccadic movement causes people to lose their place and not be able to retain what they have read).

In an…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Fix Toggle Keys so that the setting actually turns off

I turned on Toggle Keys once, about four years ago, to see if I liked it. I do not, but the setting persists. I have turned it off in both the newer system settings and the old control panel. I have tried registry edits. I have done everything to stop Toggle Keys from playing a tone, but every single time I turn on my computer or wake it from sleep, that setting is back on.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Eye Control stops functioning after using eye control mouse to select

After updating to Windows 1903 Eye Control has started to not operate after using it for a short period.
    After using Eye Control for a while, it stops responding after using the Eye Control mouse to select something. The Tobii sensor and eye movement is still operating correctly on Tobii, but Eye Control does not pick up the eyes gazing at the Eye Control Launchpad. The only way to fix it is get somebody to turn off Eye Control and then turn Eye Control back on. (Tobii remains on all the time). It operates ok for some time (30 min…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows Eye Control  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Stop using click here, or here for hyperlinks

I'm probably posting this in the wrong location but this was the closest forum I could find.
    I want to make an appeal to Microsoft's Accessibillity champions to run some internal training for the folk that prepare Microsoft's web page content and promotional emails. Please teach them how to write effective link text rather than using 'click here' .

Contextual text links have been a Web Content Accessibilty Guidelines (WCAG) requirement for a very long time now. And giving users an instruction to click something is not inclusive; mobile users tap, keyboard users press enter, etc
    I'm trying to get…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Access - Office Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Cortana please answer with help when a mental health red flag is typed in????

If a mental health or suicide phrase is typed in, could Cortana flag it or suggest helpful resources like a public service? For example, when I typed in, "Cortana Im losing my mind" the first results were really negative including the phrase "kill ****self". Instead, Cortana could show mental and suicide prevention resources. Thank you.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Microsoft Edge  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Prioritize Narrator over Cortana in the Windows Out of Box Experience.

After Windows is installed, the Cortana experience guides someone through setting up Windows for the first time. Unfortunately, Narrator is unable to speak while Cortana is speaking. It is necessary to wait for a pause in the Cortana dialogue to use Narrator. This behavior is absolutely unacceptable and should be changed ASAP! Narrator should always take priority over anything else because it is a vital accessibility service.

If Cortana is jabbering away, enabling Narrator or using any command should immediately silence it and let Narrator take over. Cortana is not an accessibility service, so I truly do not understand why…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. WCAG 2.2.2 - Skype does not give the option to pause, stop or hide GIF images

Hello,

One of my coworkers finds it extremely difficult to use Skype due to the nature of the GIF images. They play incessantly and he cannot stop them. There is no mechanism to Pause, Stop or Hide the content. He has resorted to using this method to push the GIF out of the viewport:
    [ animated GIF viewport scuttling message ]
    [ animated GIF viewport…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Skype  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. How are we expected to use MS products if everything is going to icon based tools?

Microsoft has moved to a icon/picture based tool system that is like Chinese to many of us. Why can't we have text discriptions under the icons? I learned to read when I was 4 so I could stop looking at pictures. Now, my damaged brain does not interpret pictures. What is that icon that looks like an old school building? What are 3 horizontal bars? What is the circle with a line off the side? Is it the symbol for No gender? Can I get rid of the styles box? It is distracting my eyes as I look for the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Access - Office Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. How am I supposed to learn how to use OneNote with all of these undefined icons?

How do I use OneNote if you do not have a tutorial for understanding it? When I create a note, how do I make sure the text is saved?
    What do the stupid icons mean. the squiggly line?
    What do all of the microscopic icons mean?
    Whoops, Now I have red lines. How do I get rid of them?
    I need something like OneNote to help with my memory disability and visual processing disability but it is so difficult to use.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  OneNote - Office Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. New Version

A better Magnifier!
    The program "Magic" by Freedom Scientific has been a much more versatile and powerful "magnifier" that the windows one! I have used it for 6 years and it is GREAT. Only problem is that with the rate of "UPDATES from MS, the have stopped supporting, updating or improving problems caused by MS UPDATES Latest MS updates cause screen jumping and/or freezing!! FIX IT!!! I need it!!!!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows Magnifier  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Request for OCR in Narrator on the Xbox

Many blind gamers are streaming the Xbox screen to the computer through the Xbox app in Windows 10, and run OCR on the picture from the Xbox to read menus in games out loud. It would be fantastic if Narrator on the Xbox could do OCR on the screen in games, so blind gamers can get menus and other kind of text read out loud directly on the Xbox, instead of streaming the screen to a pc to run OCR on the screen.

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. More virtual desktop keyboard shortcuts

I control my computer entirely by voice, which mostly involves mapping voice commands to keyboard shortcuts to control things. This works well provided the keyboard shortcuts exist.

Virtual desktops in Windows 10 are a great feature, but are missing some quite obvious and essential functionality. In particular there are no keyboard shortcuts for going to particular workspaces by number, or for moving windows between workspaces. For example the recommended way to move a window from workspace one to workspace five is to open the task view and then drag the window around. This seems like terrible UX even for normal…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Automatic arrangement of windows when moved to the edge of the screen

Option to disable automatic arrangement of windows separately for mouse control and keyboard control. I would like to be able to arrange windows by keyboard-shortcuts while I do not want the windows to be arranged when I move them by mouse (accidently) to the edges.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. I AM VERY ANGRY AND HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET HELP FOR 2 YEARS

I have an email account that I have been locked out of. So getting no help I did what it said and opened a new account. I now have 5 email accounts that I can't use to log in.
    I AM BLIND, I AM IN A WHEELCHAIR, MOBILITY AND FLEXIBILITY IS BEYOND HARD. I HAVE DIFFICULTY WITH MEMORY FROM A COMA I WAS PLACED IN TO SAVE MY LIFE.
    Sir/Madam my nurse is writing this for me. NO ONE WILL HELP. It goes around and around in a loop and this is the only place to put it.
    It happens…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. can you give me an email address please I am Meredih Allan, President of ISAAC, (president@isaac-online.org) We ant someone to do a webi

can you give me an email address please I am Meredih Allan, President of ISAAC, (president@isaac-online.org) We want someone to do a webinar for us- mainly on Skype accessibility catered especially for our demographic.... see www.issac-online.org thanks

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Accessibility Webinar  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Soundscape + Minecraft Earth = Blind Friendly Minecraft

Just trying out Minecraft Earth and I'm being reminded of the scavenger hunt I had at CSUN 2019. Microsoft, I think if you are able to implement both of these together, you may have a game changer plenty of pun intended.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Soundscape  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Microsoft Translator

I have just been introduced to Microsoft Translator. It would be amazing if it had the capability to speak the translation of the photo. From what I can see online and in playing with the app on my phone, it only translates it.

This could be helpful for people who are not literate in their native language, have print disabilities, or who have low or no vision.
    If I have missed this capability, please direct me to how to do this.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Windows 10 Build 1809 - File Explorer Right-Click-Menu Problem

I've been everywhere. Feedback Hub, Reddit, Microsoft Accessibility/Support-based accounts on Twitter, Disabled Help Desk. Can we please give this problem some real-world attention by someone who can actually help?

As of Windows 10 Build 1809 - The registry fix of setting "ImmersiveContextMenu" to "0", located at "Computer\HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\FlightedFeatures", no longer has any effect in disabling the new 'immersive context menu'.

Windows shell has the new style, including desktop, file explorer and open dialog boxes in all applications. Why is this a problem? Why was I previously using a registry tweak to remove the new immersive context menu? Just look…

65 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Archive outlook webinar

It appears that you have an outlook webinar that ran in mid October. Can you please put it into the archive so those of us that Missed it can watch it? Thank you for doing these webinars. They are very helpful.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Accessibility Webinar  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base