Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Welcome to Microsoft’s Accessibility Feedback forum. We are very interested in learning more about what products, features, and tools will delight our customers. Please share your ideas with us and remember to vote for ideas posted by others that you also think are great.

If you accidentally came here in need of technical support, please reach out to our Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Windows 10 Global Font type change through Color and Appearance

In Windows 7, we had the option to adjust screen resolution, DPI (set custom text size) and color metrics to suit accessibility needs. I prefer to have the Tahoma font globally as this is very clear of all.

In Windows 10 I realise that the resolution changes and Custom Display Setting are mutually dependent and automatically changes. In Window colour metrics the option to change the colours, font type are missing. In Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display has some customizing options, the ability to update the font type has been removed.

Can we please bring this feature back asap?

STEPS in…

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

8 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Implement Open vs. Save As dialog as it was in Edge Legacy

Implement Open vs. Save As dialog as it was in Edge Legacy

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Microsoft Edge  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Highlighting Colours

Hello, I am a frequent user of Microsoft word and have recently realized that your selection of highlighting colours is quite limited. I am suggesting you should included a wider variety of colours such as an orange or even some pastel variety similar to what are available on Microsoft one note. being a student i am often having to highlight documents and am constantly limited with my selection of highlighting colours as you do not provide a simple colour such as orange. I think this would be an easy addition to your program and would assist many students like myself…

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Word - Office Accessiblity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. On the latest Edge, please return "tabs set aside" to legacy UX

In the original consumer Edge version, the "Set aside tabs" UX was perfect. In the latest Edge, could you please replicate that experience? Thanks!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Disable Screen Reader of Narrator

Using Windows 10 Narrator.

I really like the Narrator feature but I don't need the full function of the "Screen Reader" or Narrator feature.

What I want to use is just the "What you hear when typing", I am very new to using computers and I love the
    "Hear words as you type"
    "Hear letters, numbers, and punctuation as you type".

Visually I can what on screen but have to look down on keyboards when I type.

I would like to be able to disable the Narrator function of reading on Screen and announcement when I change Window.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Windows Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. fix the stickykeys issue that has been present since XP and reported numerous times by many

Issue present in Win XP, 7, 8, 10 (including latest fast ring)

Summary
    When using sticky keys on windows 10, the left and right sides control (ctrl), Alt and shift keys are independently activated without a visual display or sound, making it clear enoughdifficult to distinguish between left and right sides. Further when activating the right hand side sticky keys with the setting of double press activate (push the key twice and it not only toggles but it holds down the key pushed indefinitely) it can be override by the left keys one push if the right key was the…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. New Microsoft Application

This does not tie into OneNote but there was no category for me. It’s an application idea.

Microsoft offers many applications such as Word, PowerPoint, calendar, Sway, etc. The only thing they are lacking is a classroom.

Most schools use Microsoft as there document storage for students, I know I do. However, teachers must use Google Classroom or Band to create a virtual classroom with there students. It would be so nice to be able to send my work to my teacher without sharing or emailing it. Google Classroom is great but not if your school is Microsoft based and…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  OneNote - Office Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Windows 10 Photos App *& video editor)

Windows 10 Photo app
    My suggestion is geared towards the video editing feature of this app. Attention to screen reader accessibility is needed here, especially when it comes to scene order. Trimming and slicing videos could also be made significantly more intuitive. As part of my work, I am asked to create video demos of screen reader behavior and it is extremely :

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Microsoft sway - automated closed captioning

Please provide automated closed captioning tools audio cards in Microsoft Sway. I really like this tool, but I need to make all of my materials accessible for students. Thank you!

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. read out loud for PDFs

Please make the new Edge also read PDFs out loud. I miss this feature daily. It is really a pity that this feature got lost from the "old Edge"

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Switch Rows and Columns for Insert Table Menu

In Word, under Insert -> Table, a table with three rows and two columns is listed as a "2x3 Table," but the standard for matrices (math) is to list rows and then columns (3x2 Table) , and I think it should be the same for tables in Word.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Word - Office Accessiblity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Actions on several lines

Hello accessibility team,
    On Github, recently some actions on several lines at once have become available. For instance, a reviewer may select several lines and put a comment related to all of them; or to add a suggestion related to several lines at once to remove clutter in the commits by making commits number lower.
    As for now, this functionality is not accessible with screen readers.
    There are at least two possibilities on how to implement that:
    1. (Better) Make line numbers clickable toggle buttons or links. Scenario: When a screen reader user puts his/her cursor on the line number,…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  GitHub  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. make windows speech recognition truly hands free!

Windows speech recognition is surely designed for those who can't use their hands? The problem is that there are so many apps that cortana will not use the initial start listening speech recognition for, and the dictation side constantly crashes so that you are forced to use your hands To complete your tasks. Please make cortana more user friendly, give disabled people who cannot use the keyboard better accessibility choices! Cortana needs to be able to be used 100% of the time!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. make the dictation tool more accessible

When i use the dictation tool, there is no way I can switch it off and on using my voice. I can activate it, but once the bar is up there its not very user friendly. new paragraph

for example, I cannot correct my work or use any useful commands as you can see above.

Please could you make this tool as diverse as windows speech recognition? Wsr cannot be used in every situation and on every site. I'm having to use the dictation tool to do this, and it's very hard work! There needs to be more work on…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Hotmail Account Recovery Process is Unreasonable

My hotmail account, all the sudden, was blocked by Microsoft on May 22.

I was told that there were unusual activities being detected in my account and I was asked to complete an account recovery process which includes a verification procedures. During the verification procedures, I was able to answer my first security question and provided email addresses and subject line of emails that I sent before my account was blocked. However, the system came back and said they still could not verify my identity. Hence, I was not able to access my hotmail account.

It is so frustrating that…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Access - Office Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Windows 10 Magnifier needs to be improved!

The magnifier works terribly.
    The motion is jammed and not smooth.
    It doesn't feel like it had been optimized.
    Using the GPU to improve the zoom motion would be ideal.
    Mac OS and Chrome Os implemented this perfectly.
    Also, adding a select to speak feature would be ideal, since some users don't need narrator on full time.
    Allow users to customize the modifier keys they want to use with the mouse wheel.
    Thanks for listening! These improvement will change the whole windows experience to people like me.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Windows Magnifier  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Need Help

I called the disability number. Reached probably the Philippines. I just had question about how to get the markup off of a word document permanently. This person did not know how to do that. They said they would put me through to their supervisor. I was just left on hold for a very very long time. Maybe if English was the primary language it would work better.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Choosing no. of video screens

Whilst the introduction of a 3x3 video screen grid in Microsoft Teams has been welcomed by many, I have some colleagues that have sight loss who now feel the video screens are too small. Could there be a setting which enables staff to individually select how many video windows show up on their screen during a Teams meeting?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base