Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Welcome to Microsoft’s Accessibility Feedback forum. We are very interested in learning more about what products, features, and tools will delight our customers. Please share your ideas with us and remember to vote for ideas posted by others that you also think are great.

If you accidentally came here in need of technical support, please reach out to our Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team

I suggest you ...

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. If UAC is set to 34%, Narrator can't interract with the UAC prompt dialog #7825

A friend of mine has reported something strange - that her installed copy of NVDA 2017.3 does not read UAC prompts to her, even though as I said it is an installed copy and it is set to run on secure screens and after user sign in. And besides that, NVDA should read UAC prompts even if it is not set to run on secure screens and after user sign in - I can confirm that it does so on my mother's laptop. I used Team Viewer to check what's going on and was surprised to see that the slider…

1 vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Windows Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • i think that word should be free to all windows 10 users

since we are using windows 10 I think that word should be free to the users. A lot of us love using it but since you have to pay a lot of money which most of us can not do for many reasons I think that it should be free for everyone on windows 10

1 vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Word - Office Accessiblity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Don't change the magnifier window to the magnifying glass icon when the window loses focus.

I suggest leaving the magnifier window as is and not changing it to the magnifying glass icon when the window looses focus.

The icon is too hard to find.

Also: it takes extra clicks to change the zoom, because you have to un-iconify the window first.

If people want the window out of the way they can always minimise it themselves.

2 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows Magnifier  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Shading for outlook all day events needs to be darker so I can clearly see I am busy

Make all day event in a darker shade or different colour so I don't double book myself

17 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Default settings for Microsoft Word

Currently, default settings for Word 2016 for table properties are selected to allow rows to break across pages, and don't allow header rows to repeat. My suggestion, since we are all trying to comply with federal law (Section 508) and also be more inclusive of people with disabilities, is to set the default for the following: Deselect "allow rows to break across pages" and select "repeat header rows at the top of each page." It this default is set, then it takes fewer steps to make documents accessible for screen-readers. Thank you.

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Access - Office Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • paint

Please don't stop develop MS Paint :-(

1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Use of Dynamic Text type in Microsoft Apps for iOS

As a visually impaired person, I'm using Apple's in built dynamic text type, setting it at it's largest setting. However some Microsoft apps do not respond well to this. For example, in Cortana for iOS, the weather card is so long as I have the description say "Mostly Cloudy" with each individual letter on a new line pushed up to the right hand side with large amounts of white space. In OneDrive for iOS, the share feature to upload content is a pain, with folders overlapping, and hard to click even the right account. And on the new Edge for…

1 vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Please require alt text when inserting an image into an office document

Go into Microsoft Word, clock on the insert menu. Click on image and select an image. Once you press OK, the image is inserted into a document with no prompting for alt text. Most of the world has no idea what alt text is.

Please add either another required field to the insert dialogue that says "please describe the image" or "please describe the image to a blind person" that will be alt text, or have a second dialogue pop up after the insert image dialogue that requires alt text before the image can be inserted.
                  These fields can have…

4 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Access - Office Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Make signature lines in Office accessible to a screen reader

In Word 2016, go to the insert menu and click on signature line. If one tabs through the boxes here, they are not labeled. Next, after filling out the unlabeled boxes, press OK. Now a graphic called "Microsoft Office signature line..." is inserted into the document. First, the signature graphic should say "Unsigned Microsoft Office signature line..." so the user knows the line is unsigned. Second, there is no way for the screen reader user to click the signature to sign the line.

4 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• tampil

Tampilkan semua konten orang yang paling sering di hubungi saya

1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Microsoft Edge  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • i wanted add an input method through the keyboard namely for typing tamil language without seeing the keys i donot need any

how to add an input method (manually through pressing of keys) is not clear in the ease of access my problem is that i donot find on the keyboard any letters of thamizh language all the thamizh alphabets can be printed on the keys themselves while selling the product in the area where the pc is sold
                        ட can be lncluded

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Can't move back a word with Bluetooth keyboard in Word for iPhone

Hello,

I would like to report a serious problem regarding Microsoft Word for iPhone using a Bluetooth keyboard and only with VoiceOver enabled.

It's not possible to move backwards by word because Alt + Left arrow doesn't work, although moving to the next word pressingAlt + Right arrow works okay. Not being able to navigate back a word renders Word useless on iPhone.

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Word - Office Accessiblity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Typing accented characters inserts wrong characters in Word for iPhone

Hello,

I would like to report a serious accessibility problem regarding Microsoft Word for iPhone using a Bluetooth keyboard and only with VoiceOver enabled. The problem relates to typing of accented characters using the Czech language layout on a Bluetooth keyboard.

Whenever I want to type a Czech character which requires first to press the diacritic mark key (i.e., accent "'" or caron "ˇ"), and then to type the letter key which should receive the diacritic mark, such as "d" to become ď, Microsoft Word instead inserts a wrong character. To be specific, it inserts just "ˇ" instead of "ď".…

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• 1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Accessibility Checker gives warnings for single item lists

It would be nice if the accessibility checker gave a warning when there is a list that only contains one list item.

It could be similar to the warnings about "Infrequent Headings".

I have been remediating quite a few documents where the document creator wanted spaces between list items, but instead of modifying the list style, they put in a paragraph between the list items. Thus, instead of having one list with 20 items, they have 20 lists with one item.

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Update the Web Accessibility Toolbar (WAT) with its Color Contrast Analyzer to work with the Edge browser, (paciellogroup)

The WAT toolbar by Paciello group is on GitHub but no longer updated; the key features needed: Color Contrast Analyzer and structure tools such as the tab indicator, display of tab order, display of headings.

5 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Edit support pages for good accessibility behaviour

Hello,

having searched & read to page 5 I can't see this comment. I hope it's not pedantic?

I am heartened to see a more cohesive and fuller set of accessibility support pages by MSoft (Sept. 2017) however,,,

Descriptive links are not used on this 2016 page but should be (example: "here" used multiple times):

https://blogs.office.com/en-us/2016/10/19/accessibility-in-the-classroom-tools-that-impact-my-students/

This is concept explained on a separate page:

https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/Get-accessible-templates-for-Office-ca086caa-2bd2-4ac8-8c12-4cd495bd4d76?ui=en-US&rs=en-GB&ad=GB

"Hyperlink information: Mostly, users don’t find clear and accurate information about the hyperlinks inserted in a document, spreadsheet or presentation. The accessible templates include appropriate description about the hyperlinks. For example, click here hyperlink is…

4 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Project - Office Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • You are not providing support for dyslexics

I am a Windows software developer, but I am also mildly dyslexic. A friend of mine is very dyslexic and has an even bigger problem than I do with this issue.

One of the hallmarks of dyslexia is we navigate the world through patterns and when the patterns change, it messes up our world. Whenever Microsoft changes interface on programs or Windows, it messes me up until I learn the new patterns. When I'm working, it cuts my productivity in half for weeks.

I tend to stay well behind the software release curve because of it. I still use Office…

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• A live vectroscope

A vectroscope that you can fullscreen or put somewhere in the corner.

It's just pleasing to look at, can't find any gadget for it though

1 vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• PDF Microsoft Edge Accessibility

Since the fall creators update, when opening PDF's in Microsoft Edge, the background colour has been changed to a light grey. Having a visual impairment, when opening documents which are majority on a white background, the light grey does not provide a very good contrast. Can you consider returning to how it was previously or just simply using a darker grey background for PDF's in Microsoft Edge to provide a higher contrast with the actual document.
                                          Furthermore, when using read aloud in PDF's, can you allow it to read from where you left click the mouse, the same as online,…

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Microsoft Edge  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base