Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Welcome to Microsoft’s Accessibility Feedback forum. We are very interested in learning more about what products, features, and tools will delight our customers. Please share your ideas with us and remember to vote for ideas posted by others that you also think are great.

If you accidentally came here in need of technical support, please reach out to our Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Activate windows

Screen is overly bright for normal display but extremely dark for games. I personalized to try an balance, but the second try tells me to activate windows, but it is already activated. Win 10 is not as user friendly as Win 7 and Win 7 was not as user friendly as Win 98.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 1498702417

I'd like to follow up about my inquiry to include a feature on Narrator to read highlighted text only by pressing a hot key. This feature does not currently exist, but instead, Narrator reads off all sorts of content which is distracting. I simply need to be able to highlight text, press a hot key, and have that text read without the distracting announcements that Narrator produces each time you switch windows, select content, etc. I work on secure computers that don't allow plug-ins or the adding of additional software to enable this capability, and would greatly appreciate… more

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Access - Office Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Windows 10 magnifier handling multiple monitors

I really like Windows 10 magnifier. It's lightweight and doesn't stress computers out.

At office I'm using two monitors and a third party magnifying software (ZoomText magnifier from Freedom Scientific) because I like the handling of two monitors. But this Software requires nearly a gaming rig just to assist me. With my office-PC it remarkably slows me down during my daily work. In addition the fonts in windows apps are processed really bad.

So my wish to Microsoft is to implement a similar handling of multiple monitors to ZoomText in the same light weight manor as usual.

I try to…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows Magnifier  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. full screen crosshair on windows 10 ?

full screen crosshair on windows 10 following the mouse cursor ?

134 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Windows Magnifier  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. hi. cortana for windows 2004 should be pulled. not working for me, and the accessibility sucks. no settings to customize it to do the window

hi have a better interface for cortana. not supported and cortana not able to hear me since 2004. and my mike is working able to use zoom meetings and people able to hear me. so just pull this untill you have this fixed. also no settings to then set the windows c key and no trouble shooter for cortana. frustrated.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Cortana  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Automatically enable audio for Hyper-V virtual machines when using screen readers.

Although I have very limited experience using Hyper-V, my understanding is that audio is not available when connecting to a virtual machine using Hyper-V Manager. I have read about an Enhanced Session Mode, but this must be manually enabled on Windows Server and it does not appear to pass audio back to the host machine unless RDP is enabled in the Windows virtual machine.

Can you see the problem here? How is a totally blind person supposed to independently configure a virtual machine if audio cannot be used until a setting in the virtual machine itself is enabled? If a…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Make a clear and simple way to disable palm rejection

I can’t find any simple way to disable palm rejection in Windows 10 making it impossible for me to use the trackpad and keyboard simultaneously. This is ridiculous and severely limits accessibility for those with one hand. Please just make this an option that is clear. Just a simple on or off.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Suggestion: 'Finalize' button when user clicks submit -

Recently, I saw a sudden downhill in the way Microsoft forms functions; when I used Microsoft Forms to submit a very important test paper, I needed to upload a file (PDF). But (this is my fault partially), I used the touchscreen to upload a file, except that I couldn't; since I was careless and clicked the 'submit' button instead of the 'upload' button. The mistake costed me an entire 3 hours of regret and a loss of 12 marks from my exam paper out of 20 marks. I suggest that to prevent this from happening to any other innocent person…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Make sure that Narrator and other screen readers can work with Surface headphones 2

I just obtained the newly released Surface Headphones 2. I paired them to my laptop with Bluetooth. At first, I did not attach them to the laptop with the 3.5 MM cable. I have found that, when in bluetooth mode, the headphones cut off the screen reader speech at beginnings of the word. I'm assuming that the headphones are trying to save battery by doing this. However it is disconcerting to find that beginning of content is cut off. For example, if I were to give read title command to my screen reader while focused on I would hear something…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Please make narrator compatible with Microsoft word/excel/Power-Point Etc.

Please make narrator compatible with Microsoft word/excel/Power-Point Etc.

The image description feature should extract and announce the text in captcha also. It will be very helpful for the visually impaired while doing log in and filling an application form.

Kindly make Microsoft Teams fully compatible with narrator and other screen readers like NVDA and JAWS. The screen/ tabs on Microsoft Teams are not readable at all.

In the read aloud feature, add more navigation features like character, word, line, sentence and page. Currently, narrator allows moving forward and backward by paragraph only.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add Thick Ruled Lines Option In OneNote

I like seeing ruled lines in OneNote, however adding thicker ruled lines in OneNote would be easier for me to see. In fact, there are special notebooks that are designed for people who have low vision. I don't use notebooks anymore, and I prefer OneNote to keep my notes tidy. Please consider adding this feature!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  OneNote - Office Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Hi I’m Patrick Lafleur and I’m in a group home called nova salus

Hi, I’m in a group home called nova salus https://www.novasalus.ca/
    My dr is dr Jose mejijia. At the iwk https://medicine.dal.ca/departments/department-sites/psychiatry/our-people/faculty/jose-mejia.html

I was born with ticks and turrets. It’s a movement that you can’t control. If you still don’t now what that is. Look it up on mental health. I have a YouTube channel, that inspires people on what they can do with a disability and moving forward. I would like an Xbox to show people and not just show, to inspire people what you can do with the power of the Xbox. Thank you so much for reading this. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChndT1pE7YxO-fZoeQVmnfg

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add the option to use pictures for answer choices in Forms

When considering a Universal Design to Learning approach, the ability to use visuals (pictures) for an answer choice in a form would assist our visual learners and allow for alternate access and assessment. For some students, reading is incredibly difficult without an accompanying visual.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Access - Office Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. translate

as a German living in Ireland: What about a "translate feature"? you highlight a word in a not-your-native language in Edge (i.e.News) .. right click: translate.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Microsoft Edge  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Display settings

The control panel settings page needs to be larger to begin with. I need to grocery shop on line, it was difficult to see what choices were available. If those of us visually impaired could read the existing font to adjust to larger, we wouldn't need to do this. It's common sense really.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Need to improve contrast in office 2019

Upgraded from office 2010 to 2019, I have found this very difficult and visually I have trouble navigating. There is no contrast between items. Why does Microsoft feel there is such a need to completely change the visual appearance. This visual appearance or "Theme" should not be changed like this. I have tried changing settings and there now appears to be less ability to change background colors as compared to 2010. This is THE NUMBER ONE COMPLAINT that I have hearing from all users. As a temporary fix I tried going to the high contrast theme but then this makes…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows High Contrast  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Alternative text of women

As alternative text is supposed to describe what is in the picture and the generated text does not do so, the text reader algorithm should be fixed.

I was creating cards with Power Point to friends of my wedding fotos. All alternative texts were only about one person - of my husband! I was either not described at all or described as "waterfall" due my long hem of the white gown.
    Why the alt text algorithm does not recognize faces (of women)? Why it does not understand when a person is standing sideways? And so on...

Please Microsoft: consider improving…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Access - Office Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Teams Chat: Right-click option to reply to specific comment within the chat and reply directly

In Microsoft Teams, when using on a mobile phone it is possible to right-swipe on a comment within a chat to embed this comment in your reply, which is very useful. However, on the desktop version, there doesn't appear to be an option to be able to do this, which is frustrating.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Skype  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. System idea

I think a nice feature for the Xbox community would be to allow group chats. Rather than only being able to send messages to one friend at a time or send them when your all in a strict party. But to allow a group messaging with select friend whenever. We already have the accessibility to message and create looking groups . And join parties so why no have access to group chats

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Fix typing lag while using text cursor indicator

I upgraded to the new 2004 build and I was thrilled to see Microsoft added the text cursor indicator. However, after using it for a few days, I noticed lag while typing. I turned off the feature on and off, and I concluded that the text cursor indicator is causing the lag.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base