Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Welcome to Microsoft’s Accessibility Feedback forum. We are very interested in learning more about what products, features, and tools will delight our customers. Please share your ideas with us and remember to vote for ideas posted by others that you also think are great.

If you accidentally came here in need of technical support, please reach out to our Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team

Give us feedback on Microsoft accessibility and how we can improve?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Improve the Accessibility of Windows SIM for Screen Reader Users

There are two main accessibility issues with the Windows System Image Manager (SIM), part of the Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK). First, when you use your screen reader's right-click function to access the right-click menu for the selected component or package, the click targeting is several lines below where the system focus is located. Additionally, you cannot use Shift+F10 to access the context menu. Could these issues please be remedied? These problems were found in the ADK Insider Preview, Build 16288. I am using JAWS 2018 Public Beta.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow screen readers to access the graphics menu in Microsoft Office

Go to the insert menu. Choose "picture". Select the image you wish to insert. Now the image will be inserted into the document with no alt text (Please require everyone to type in alt text when inserting an image). Now with a screen reader, it is impossible to get to the picture menu to add alt text.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Access - Office Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Reverse the columns in the tables for keystroke-based help articles

Many of the older knowledge-based articles which show keystrokes for office have column 1 of the table showing the keystroke and column 2 showing what that keystroke does.

Most people don't care what the keystroke is; they have an action they want to perform and they want to know what keystroke they need to access it.
    So be consistent; the first column should always be the action so it's easier to look up.
    Someone needs to go through all the help articles that list keystrokes and clean this up. Most of the newer help articles don't have this problem.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Access - Office Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Edit support pages for good accessibility behaviour

Hello,

having searched & read to page 5 I can't see this comment. I hope it's not pedantic?

I am heartened to see a more cohesive and fuller set of accessibility support pages by MSoft (Sept. 2017) however,,,

Descriptive links are not used on this 2016 page but should be (example: "here" used multiple times):

https://blogs.office.com/en-us/2016/10/19/accessibility-in-the-classroom-tools-that-impact-my-students/

This is concept explained on a separate page:

https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/Get-accessible-templates-for-Office-ca086caa-2bd2-4ac8-8c12-4cd495bd4d76?ui=en-US&rs=en-GB&ad=GB

"Hyperlink information: Mostly, users don’t find clear and accurate information about the hyperlinks inserted in a document, spreadsheet or presentation. The accessible templates include appropriate description about the hyperlinks. For example, click here hyperlink is…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Project - Office Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. On YouTube with Edge, the player's progress slider is no longer visible if high-contrast mode is active

On YouTube with Edge, the player's progress slider is no longer visible if high-contrast mode is active. This happens since a few days ago, when the design of the YouTube HTML5 player changed again. To reproduce this, in Settings -> Ease of Access -> High-Contrast, select the high-contrast black theme. Then open Edge, go to YouTube and select a random video to play. When it starts playing, use the mouse to click on the playback progress bar to fast forward a bit, so the progress indicator from the left end is at least somewhat filled. Previously, the "filling" was visible…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Microsoft Edge  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Update the Web Accessibility Toolbar (WAT) with its Color Contrast Analyzer to work with the Edge browser, (paciellogroup)

The WAT toolbar by Paciello group is on GitHub but no longer updated; the key features needed: Color Contrast Analyzer and structure tools such as the tab indicator, display of tab order, display of headings.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Simplify web access bar for Tobii

The current eye gaze system for internet access is very complicated for users who are developmentally delayed or inexperienced with mouse selections. There should be a more simplified way of moving around the internet. Picture symbols would be great!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows Eye Control  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Don't change the magnifier window to the magnifying glass icon when the window loses focus.

I suggest leaving the magnifier window as is and not changing it to the magnifying glass icon when the window looses focus.

The icon is too hard to find.

Also: it takes extra clicks to change the zoom, because you have to un-iconify the window first.

If people want the window out of the way they can always minimise it themselves.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows Magnifier  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Please help all sighted users format their Word documents correctly

When I say to a sighted person: Can you please put headings into your document through the styles dialogue", they have no idea what I'm talking about. Headings are not something sighted people intrinsically understand when using word. The vast majority of word documents I read do not have proper headings in them. In fact, sometimes I get documents that have the heading style on a whole paragraph.
    I can think of 3 solutions to this problem:
    1. Have an AI style the document based off line breaks and font. If there is a line with a blank line on…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. bring back being able to email microsoft.. not all of us have the time for other ways

getting office has done something to other apps on my computer .. wher they wont open ..

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Access - Office Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. narrator on log on screen

as of now, narrator only starts after typing the password. but I wish, it should launch automatically on log on screen too. I've already enabled start narrator automatically under setting>ease up access center.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. bing inspired me back ;on fresh paint app

bing inspired me back on all fresh paint and window store more like the way it was before ten dont like the new one

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add a pronunciation dictionary to Narrator

This is a feature that is found in all the other major screen readers. Narrator should include a pronunciation dictionary to customize how the speech synthesizer pronounces certain words if the default pronunciation is incorrect. This is usually done by entering the correct spelling of the word followed by a misspelled version that is pronounced correctly by the TTS voice. Whenever Narrator encounters the correct spelling of the word, it will speak it using the custom pronunciation rule.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. the ability for narrator to work in windows PE

as of yet narrator does not function when running windows pe.
    example of this, make a recovery drive boot from the drive press control plus windows plus enter narrator does not work.
    thanks for considdering my request

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Website for updating to Windows 10 for accessibility tech users.

When I attempted to use the down load button on the disability webpage to allow disabled users great to Windows 10 for free my screen reader could not activate the button and I tried several screen readers including jaws are the creators update and the new improved narrator in the fall creators update as part of the insider program.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Microsoft Edge  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. for narrator to have more voices like microsoft mark

it would be great if narrator had more nachural sounding voices like microsoft mark clear, crisp and easy to understand
    microsoft mark seembs to be more responsive compared to the other voices.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Please speak the keyboard typing in your tutorials of microsoft virtual academy.

.Microsoft virtual academy is a very useful service for learning. But the blind people cannot understand it easily. I request you to speak keyboard commands and typing on the keyboard. Thanks

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base