Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Welcome to Microsoft’s Accessibility Feedback forum. We are very interested in learning more about what products, features, and tools will delight our customers. Please share your ideas with us and remember to vote for ideas posted by others that you also think are great.

If you accidentally came here in need of technical support, please reach out to our Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Include number of unread message count in Outlook in dialogue accessible from Control + y.

When in Outlook, it is possible to quickly move between folders using the keyboard shortcut: control + y. HOwever, the number of unread messages in each folder is not exposed to screen readers such as Jaws, NVDA and Narrator. Jaws has a scripted solution to this, but it would be universally accessible if this number was provided through UIA or another method. Please up voat.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Outlook - Office Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow user to change Folder icons (in the Favorites bar).

I have organized all my favorites in a folder structure in the Favorites bar. Essentially my Favorites bar is a string of folders and all folders look the same as they all have exactly the same icon. It is very hard to pick the right folder intuitively. I either have to remember where approximately the folder is that I want to click or I have to read multiple folder names every single time until I found the right one. Which of course takes a little time at every occasion.

Therefor, I would like to be able to change the default…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Microsoft Edge  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Hello there, HoloLens 2 support. I have idea for improvement for people with visual impairment, which is including your product HoloLense 2!

Hello there, HoloLens 2 support.
    I have idea for improvement for people with visual impairment, which is including your product HoloLense 2!
    My idea was, that after adding high resolution camera above the HoloLense 2, the picture from this camera would than be streamed live in to the device, for people with visual impairment to have option, to zoom in or out as they need in order to provide better vision for them.

Please let me know, what do you think about this idea?
    Daniel

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Eyes First Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Teams meeting accessibility by external participants is way too difficult

Why does it have to be so difficult to have Teams meetings with people outside my organization. Either chat doesn’t work or or people cannot join in. I understand there’s probably some super setting hidden somewhere even though our admin already enabled all external users, but the usability is just extraordinaly bad. Please improve.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Skype  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Bring start up and shut down sounds.

As a new user of windows 10, and as a person that is blind.
    I feel that these start up sound should be available because I don’t have light perception, and how do I know if my computer is booting up?
    The same thing goes for shutting down the computer how do I know that the computer is shutting down?, And same thing for logging on the computer, and logging off the computer. These sounds Shouldn’t have been taken away.
    Some people may not like the sound and I get that, but for people that really needed it should still…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Events  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  LinkedIn Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Help with passwords

I am trying to access my mums HP Stream device but she has forgotten her password (she has dementia). I have filled in forms with as much detail as we can but keep being told we have insufficient info to reset her password. Your form and questions only cater for those who have used several passwords or can remember them. My mum can’t. Please help me.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. I'm using Skype and the time section of the messaging window has somehow shrunk so that the time wraps around. How can I fix this?

I just need help with how to resize the time back to normal size. This makes each message take up three lines and makes the conversation tough to read without scrolling.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  LinkedIn Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. SharePoint: A number of issues on Windows desktop

A number of the menu items in the primary and secondary navigation ribbons are not keyboard accessible and do not receive visual focus.

• Tab does not work on Edit.

• Tab does not work on secondary menu after Home (Must use left right navigation buttons)

• Unable to exit an expanded menu item with keyboard only

WebAim: Elements with negative tabindex values cannot receive focus using the keyboard's tab key. Users who cannot use a mouse due to a disability and users who prefer a keyboard use the tab key as a primary means of navigation. Keyboard users may not be able…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Narrator scan mode does not announce graphic descriptions

Narrator scan mode does not announce graphic descriptions

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Get accessibility checker to warn about links that don't have descriptive text

It would be great if the accessibility checker warned about links that have been inserted as the URL address (https://blah.com/etc/etc/etc.com) instead of being replaced by descriptive text.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Word - Office Accessiblity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Idea for Xbox Adaptive controller

Hello everyone , my name is Luis , I am cerebral palsy disabled. As a consequence of this I´m not playing confortable with the common pad. I know about Xbox adaptive controller but in my case I think that I have an idea better for people like me . Let me tell you my idea:

My main problem is use the buttons and controllers in horizontal , like a common pad, because you have to press the buttons fast , and that is a huge problem because i can´t move my hand and my fingers fast in this position, so…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Why is the Style Gallery missing from Word in Office 365 for the web? This greatly REDUCES the possibility of creating accessible documents.

Heading styles are key to accessible documents and are used to provide a navigable structure used by screenreaders and to create TOCs, Bookmarks when exported to Pdf, etc. However the style gallery is missing so documents will be created without heading styles and thus will be inaccessible. You can only apply heading styles if have prior knowledge of them and know the shortcuts. Schoolkids learning to use Word will be learning to create inaccessible documents. This is a massive step BACKWARDS for inclusion and accessibility. Also makes teaching staff/students to create accessible documents significantly more difficult. It makes the MIcrosoft…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Word - Office Accessiblity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Allow thicker frame borders on windows

The high contrast mode is the only way to enable thicker frame borders for windows to improve the poor differentiation between applications in Windows 10.
    Unfortunately the high contrast mode is so invasive in its changes. It makes windows 10 less useable, not more.
    Please add a checkbox list in the high contrast dialog so users can turn on only the features that they need.
    This would allow the enabling of just the thicker borders, which is the only feature I need.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Windows High Contrast  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. it does not work with enterprize copies of windows 10 and you have no chat to the enterprise support team I have not got any hearing or voca

you have no chat support with an enterprise copy of windows 10 and you only have phone # for support I have brain damage and cannot use the phone as i do not hear or speak without the chat I have no support. I wanted the code to bypass windows setup and get to a clean disk without any files or usage on the hdd 2tb drive that i have to phiscally change with my only computer and it does not connect to the internet when I install windows 10 and then asks for key when I use it on…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Visio - Office Accessiblity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Edge/Narrator: Page doesn't scroll when user navigates in item mode

Edge: Version 81.0.416.53 (Official build) (64-bit)
    Across all the webpages, the screen doesn't scroll when user navigates in using Caps+ Right arrow.
    Repro steps:
    1. Enable Narrator
    2. Open Microsoft.com
    3. Turn off the scan using CAPS + Spacebar.
    4. Read the page items using CAPS + Right Arrow.
    Expected: The page scrolls as user navigates with assistive technology
    Actual: The page doesn’t scroll. The low vision users who use assistive technology will get confused and lose their navigation on the page.
    Note: This doesn't occur in NVDA/Chrome, NVDA/Firefox or JAWS/IE11.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Microsoft Edge  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Auto tapping

I'm an longtime disabled gamer who has always found tapping a button so difficult for me to do this action, there NEEDS TO BE AN AUTO TAPPING SETTING!?!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. HOW TO TURN MY NARRATOR OFF, ALL YOUR SUGGESTIONS DOESN'T WORK!!!!!!!!

THIS IS EXTREMELY IRRITATING? HOW DO I TURN THIS FREAKING NARRATOR OFF?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Image for windows check boxes don't read correctly

There are hardly any programs that allow blind users to backup and restore their pc without sighted help. Terabyte unlimited image for windows can do this you can even create a bootable cd/usb with narrator on it so ifw and narrator automatically start after the system boots. The program is accessible but narrator doesn't read the options check-boxes correctly so you don't know if things like verify, scale to fit etc are set or not. Any chance ms could work with company to fix it?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. I think the accessibility features would be an amazing tool to be able to use for those of us with vision loss and deafness.

However, I for one refuse to use anything in Ease of Access because for reasons unknown to me, once you turn those features on, it restricts your ability to customize your laptop via background colors, themes, etc. I tried Ease of Access long ago, and when I found what happened, I immediately turned off all features, but my laptop seemed ruined permanently just for using the accessibility features no matter how hard I worked to try and customize my laptop again. So, that's my idea I'm presenting to you. I know I cannot be the only one that would love…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base