Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Welcome to Microsoft’s Accessibility Feedback forum. We are very interested in learning more about what products, features, and tools will delight our customers. Please share your ideas with us and remember to vote for ideas posted by others that you also think are great.

If you accidentally came here in need of technical support, please reach out to our Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow HC themes to be edited

When desiring to make changes to a high contrast theme, allow edits to be made to existing saved theme without having to save as a new name.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add an autoscroll or autopan feature for braille displays.

When braille support is introduced into Narrator, I would like to have an automatic scrolling or panning mode. This would make it easier to read long passages of content without having to constantly press the scroll button on the display to scroll to the next line of braille. This feature could be further enhanced by customizable time intervals for the display to scroll. For example, have the display scroll after 3 seconds, 5 seconds, 10 seconds, etc. This would let the user customize how quickly the refreshes occur.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Bless U

God Bless U...Self explanatory.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Capsule virtual reality

A reputable company Microsoft, I apologize in advance for not being an exact translation (if he is), so I really do not know much English. I have just a few moments ago I saw your creation HoloLens, and I was deeply impressed by this device. And I would like to tell you about a text concept of absolute immersion in virtual reality devices.
    It is a capsule full immersion, in which a person falls into a trance or dream, using neural helmet that reads brain signals and converts to a digital signal, creating a virtual reality of total immersion, in…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Make shapes accessible to keyboard users in Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc

Currently, in Office programs, when shapes are added to a document:

Word: alt+n, sh, then choose a shape.
    Excel: alt+n, zi,sh, then choose a shape.

The shapes themselves are identified, which is great, but as soon as you choose one, you need to use the mouse to insert it.

Many screen readers provide a way of partly manipulating the mouse (eg press numpad slash to left click with NVDA), it is impossible to accurately position the item and resize it. Please include the ability to use the keyboard to accomplish this.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Remove the compromise between keyboard and controler on XBox with Narrator

I recently purchased an Xbox console. Here are my thoughts on the experiences so far and I think an underlying theme of where accessibility breaks and needs to improve. I am really passionate about making this a good console for users, so opening dialog up about this is critical. That's why I was super excited when I purchased my console a few weeks ago, a moment where I was confident that at least I'm getting some out-of-box accessibility solutions and a company dedicated to their mission.

First, the biggest issue with Narrator, as it stands, is this controller-keyboard compromise I…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Make speech recognition (and cortana?) be able to work with different language than default windows....

Apparently, speech recognition wont work if I have a default windows language other than the supported ones. I cannot have for example Swedish as default windows language and speak English US with speech recognition..... I hope you fix this asap.....:-)

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. not Disabled

Just because someone where's glasses that dose not make the Disabled

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. True No Disability here

I use the magnifier Because I am farsighted

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Outlook Fixed Zoom for Reading Pane

When viewing Outlook in the "Compact View", please fix the zoom slider so that one can set it to a specific zoom instead of having to adjust the slider for each email.

I have found a macro that I can use to fix the zoom in emails I open, but it is easier to just view many of them in the reading pane.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Use background color to distinguish buttons in high-contrast themes

The default high-contrast themes do not make use of the option to set a background color for buttons. Instead, they rely on the fact that default button styling includes a border, and set that border to the button text color. Buttons are thereby visually distinguished as text surrounded by a border. Some of the default high-contrast themes also use a different text color for buttons, but not all.

This creates a problem when these styles are applied to websites in MS Edge. Many modern websites do not use border styles on buttons, instead relying on the background color, rounded corners,…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Put a chat on line

a chat online to solve problems inmediately

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Make sure developers of different MS products are on the same accessibility page.

Accessibility Checker and Captioning plug-in for PowerPoint? Good job. Thumbs up.

Inability to convert a captioned PowerPoint to an accessible Office Mix? Inexcusable.

MAKE IT EASY FOR END USERS TO CREATE ACCESSIBLE CONTENT.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 3D audio events

Hi, I'd like it if Narrator's audio events were 3d, so that we could know where things are on the screen as we move to them. This could also include progress bars, updating from left to right, as it is visually.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Windows 10 Backup drive selection appears white on white in dark mode

In Windows 10 Backup (WINDOWS+i then update and security then backup). When "Add a drive" is chosen, a menu appears with all attached suitable backup drives. If Windows "app mode" is set to dark (Settings - personalisation - colors - choose an app mode), then the list of backup drives appears white on white.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  13 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. give win10 the ability to have a thicker coloured border around Windows like in win7

give win10 the ability to have a thicker coloured border around Windows like in win7

this would be extremly helpful for visually impaired users

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Please allow scrreen readers to fully read Windows Runtime applications like the Cortana search box

Apparently Microsoft just made a security decision to block any application, even a trusted screen reader, from injecting its code into any WinRT application.
    This includes Windows core components like the start menu, settings app and Microsoft Edge. This also means windows store apps as well.

This greatly reduces accessibility in all these essential apps and in particular edit boxes. We are pretty much writing silently and there is no sound for when we misspelled something or when a suggestion comes up.
    Microsoft is moving more and more to having all their apps and components be packaged like this, so…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add customizability to narrator output options

TL:DR
    -Control voice speed by words per minute instead of arbitrary % value

-Highlight each word as it's voiced. Allow pausing, rewind (e.g. 10 words, 1 sentence.) and skipping ahead. Read mode where successive paragraphs are immediately started after the previous completes itself.

-More options to enable or disable actions which cause voice output (e.g. don't read paragraphs/only read paragraphs on screen, not windows names etc.)

Hi,

I think narrator is really excellent and you've done a great job making it. Thanks!

I have some suggestions for features, I expect they may be considered already, but I think they would…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Creating new lists for mail merges is not accessible

I like to use the Mail Merge feature in Microsoft Word. When I attempt to create a new list with the Alt+M,R,N key tip or edit an existing list with the alt+M,
    R,E key tip, I get an accessible dialog box. When I tab through the fields. I don't get an indication of what fields I'm editing. Also, the buttons to add new entries, cancel and ok buttons aren't in the tab order.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base