Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Welcome to Microsoft’s Accessibility Feedback forum. We are very interested in learning more about what products, features, and tools will delight our customers. Please share your ideas with us and remember to vote for ideas posted by others that you also think are great.

If you accidentally came here in need of technical support, please reach out to our Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Windows 10 must have a consistent design.

Windows 10 must have a consistent design. Like in explorer we have a different design, in the start menu we have a different design and edge also has a different design, and its too dumb to have three different designs in spite of the fact that all these products belong to Microsoft. Seems that Microsoft is confused in itself.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Seeing AI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. hi. cortana for windows 2004 should be pulled. not working for me, and the accessibility sucks. no settings to customize it to do the window

hi have a better interface for cortana. not supported and cortana not able to hear me since 2004. and my mike is working able to use zoom meetings and people able to hear me. so just pull this untill you have this fixed. also no settings to then set the windows c key and no trouble shooter for cortana. frustrated.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Cortana  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Narrator should have a pause function

A very common function that people need is to have their text-to-speech app pause and then continue from where it was paused

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Audible alarm for power option

I have a suggestion regarding the power options. I think that there must be an option to provide some sort of audible alarm when the battery of the laptop charges to 100%. This I think is very necessary because I always forget to unplug the charger even after the battery of my laptop gets charged 100% due to concentration in my work. And this has resulted in damaging my laptop battery. So I looked for a similar option in the power options but I could not find one. I am a nontech person so I barely have any idea about…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Soundscape  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Screen readers do not announce notifications in Skype if split view is enabled

If you enable the split view mode in Skype and open any chat, then try to type a message and press enter to send, you will observe this bug:
    Normally, the screen reader should say, "Message sent."
    However, in split view, the screen reader stays silent.
    This applies for any notification. Nothing is announced while inside a chat in split view, including things such as muting the microphone in a call, participants typing, new messages arriving and so on.
    Tested with Narrator, NVDA and Jaws.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Skype  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. High Contrast

This page is easier to read than most. Turning on high contrast does not help to darken the print on screen. Web searches show many people have trouble with print on screen that is too light. Many elderly people have trouble. It would be helpful if Microsoft could provide a facility for darkening the print without having to go to Microsoft support. Offering white on black is not a solution.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Access - Office Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. MS Office color contrast insufficiency issue for combination bar/line charts...

For MS Office (not just Excel), would it be possible to allow for choice of separate fill/outline colors for lines (for all compound types or even just for some) used in combination bar/line graphs or wherever lines are being used to convey meaning? It is currently a challenge to select a single line color that will contrast well against the various colors of the bars AND that of the graph background. What works for darker colors will not work for those that are lighter, and vice versa. Thank you.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Excel - Office Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Provide Another Way to Open the Reading Order Pane

The addition of the reading order pane is excellent and including numbers to show the order (as well as listing it from top to bottom) is much easier than using the selection pane. However, it appears as if the only way to open the Reading Order pane is through the accessibility checker. That is not helpful unless something is flagged by the accessibility checker. I copy and pasted a placeholder on to a slide. The placeholder was added to the end of the reading order as is typical. However, it was not flagged by the accessibility checker so I could…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PowerPoint - Office Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. We had a teams meeting with an accesibility-expert (who is blind). He wanted to share his computer audio while sharing a screen.

We had a teams meeting with an accesibility-expert (who is blind). He wanted to share his computer audio while sharing a screen. He could not find the checkbox for 'sharing computer sound on'. Make sure it is accesible for screen-readers.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Teams  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Severe eye problems with TOO PALE Word Doc Display

Dear MS Team,

I am using Office 2019 and have SEVERE EYE PROBLEMS with detecting any icon on the OPTION BAND of a Word Doc because they are TOO FEEBLY represented (light grey instead of black), they are TOO PALE, especially after working for more than 8-11 hours/day when everything culminates into something blurred, which can only be guessed, e.g., the indentation keys on the ruler are almost NON VISIBLE, the same as anything else on a Word Doc.

FURTHERMORE: Is it possible to
    - (a) add some additional “L-Ctrl+options” for TEXT COLOUR OPTIONS for a fast change of text-colour…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Word - Office Accessiblity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Allow automatic subtitles to be trained for speech patterns or commonly occurring words or names

Can a feature be added to train the subtitles in Powerpoint to recognize my speech patterns or words that I use frequently?

As a teacher, I am often calling on students in class, and as a math teacher, I'm often using very specific vocabulary that I would like to appear correctly for students who rely on subtitles. The value of the subtitles and their usability is greatly reduced when a student's name or course vocabulary are misrepresented on screen.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PowerPoint - Office Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. how do I print in black with white background when I use grey with white text on my screen?

Using white text on a dark background is very helpful to low vision people - but when I want to print something, I frequently cannot print black text on white background by default - how can I do this?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows High Contrast  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Outlook Message List table columns for Screen Reader

Problem Statement: When in a mail folder (e.g. Inbox). In JAWS if I enter table mode (Ins+space, T). I can arrow down through subjects, from or whatever in that column. If however a message has an Attachment and that icon is left of the From column then the screen reader notes the attachment and not the from name (if I were going down that column).

Suggestion would be to make the columns uniform whether an attachment or other icon exists.

Acceptance:
    1. No matter what is on preceding columns if a user is in JAWS table mode from the layered…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Outlook - Office Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Outlook Scheduling Assistant Screen Reader Simplification

When scheduling a new invite Outlook has an Auto Pick next option with All Required People as one option. However when scheduling a meeting with numerous Execs and other busy folks sometimes it's impossible to find a slot for weeks.

What I end up doing is moving the time by 30 minute increments days at a time and tab back and forth between Start Date/Time and the availability section. The Availability section does a great job telling me the number of conflicts, who they are and busy, tentative,etc. I'd like to be able to just arrow to the right by…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Outlook - Office Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Teams hotkey for next Unread Chat or Channel

Problem statement: As a user with hundreds if not more unread messages who uses a screen reader I want a quick way to read fast with hotkeys so that I can find what's relevant and respond quickly.

In Slack alt+shift+up/down will take the user to the next channel or DM with unread messages. This is helpful when in an organization where 40+ channels and DMs may be going on per day with hundreds or more actual messages and replies.

In addition if in Teams pressing CTRL+E (search) could suggest recent or relevant chats / channels with unreads in the drop…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Teams window title

In the Teams title bar. Please change the order of the items so that "Teams" always comes first.

Consider a screen reader user that is trying to find Teams either by Alt+Tab or in JAWS Ins+F10. If they were in a Chat then the name of the person appears first, they may not know exactly who that was or what to listen for.

Acceptance:
    1. Alt+tab through apps should be easier to find Teams by listening for Teams ... instead of ... Teams
    2. WIth JAWS Ins+F10 a users should be able to then just start typing Teams to get…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Teams unread messages

When going to ctrl+2 aka the chat app. It says I have X number of unread messages. Focus goes to Recent Chats with people of which I have 40+ chats. Nowhere can I seem to find which are the unread chats.

Feature Ideas
    * Like in Outlook have a list that can be filtered by unread. There's like two levels I can think of: People with Unreads, Enter into that person and see all unread messages. ANd 2nd a list of all unread messages so that if 1 person had 2+ unreads I could arrow and read them all, pressing…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Teams on a Windows PC with no work account, only personal, doesn’t work with text zoomed in

I wanted to attend a Webinar put on by a disability charity on Microsoft Teams. As someone with a neurological condition I like to use my desktop PC which is hooked up to my big TV, which has the text setting on the largest setting so I can see it from the sofa whilst lying down without making my headaches worse. I go to use the Teams App, but it won’t let me as I only have a hotmail email address account, not a work one as I am unable to work due to disability. So I go to view…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Powerpoint Animations - be able to highlight text in bold as well as colour after a click

I have a colourblind student in my class. I would like to put up an example in black on white, then highlight one line in red and bold so that it stands out

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. When zoom shares screen (in any software or another screen) give us the option to show the content in normal theme, without zoom

I'm industrial and systems engineer and I'm visually impaired. I use MS zoom as screen magnifier and NVDA as screen reader.
    When I need to expose my work to other people (using software as skype or using another screen to show my contents in a wall) it's to difficult not onl to me, specially to the other people because they see my expo with the zoom characteristics actvated.
    If you implement a function that disables MS zoom characteristics in the projection on the second screen and/or when the content is showed throug a meeting software (as skype)... it wold be…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Seeing AI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base