Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Welcome to Microsoft’s Accessibility Feedback forum. We are very interested in learning more about what products, features, and tools will delight our customers. Please share your ideas with us and remember to vote for ideas posted by others that you also think are great.

If you accidentally came here in need of technical support, please reach out to our Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add the ability to select a sound output device for Narrator

I would like the ability to send Narrator audio to a different sound device. For example, I could keep all my system audio coming through my laptop internal speakers but send Narrator speech and sounds to a USB headset or vice versa. In Narrator settings, there would be a screen that lists all the detected sound output devices. Selecting one of them would immediately cause Narrator to switch from the default Windows audio output device to the selected device.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Offer buyers of Windows 10 S that can prove Disability to obtain Windows 10 Pro for free is so desired.

As mentioned in the piece https://blogs.microsoft.com/on-the-issues/2017/05/18/empowering-more-accessible-inclusive-world/#sm.00001ra7hqt1hem8w161b0uoc87im this offer is for apps that aren't in the store. This should not be limited to such apps, especially on the Surface Laptop that is estimated retail of $999.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. 6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Make Narrator key command shortcuts far more logical!

In fear of being a bit harsh, though I don't mean to be at all, I must say... the keyboard shortcut keys for using Narrator in Windows 10 1703 Creaters Edition are an absolute mess! I looked at the commands list with capslock+F1, and was lost almost immediately.

It appears that there are no logical mkneumonics for remembering any of the keystrokes. They seem quite random with no explanation of how Microsoft determined that these would be the appropriate keys to use.

I understand that one may create their own shortcuts, or remap the ones already there, but that's not…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Make the language setting that is used to spellcheck documents also tell screen readers in which language to pronounce the text.

In HTML, you can add "lang" attributes to pages and to individual chunks of text. This, among other things, tells screen readers in which language they should pronounce the words (as long as the user has the appropriate voice profiles installed).

In Microsoft products such as PowerPoint, however, screen readers (JAWS, NVDA, Window Eyes) read the content in English no matter the language you set words to via the language settings. This makes it very difficult to use Microsoft documents to accompany language classes--where we switch between the target language and the native language often, to include adopted phrases such…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Bring back sfc/scannow

Why did Microsoft take away sfc/scannow for windows 10. They shouldn't have for sure! Now there is no way to fix windows reliably using accessibility. The current DISM command is long and pretty much impossible to remember. Now, the only way to fix windows if it is corrupt is to download an ISO of windows and hope you can get a sighted person to run a windows repair for you on your system. Thanks.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. put an option to select and copy text from the web using narrator

other screen readers give you the option to select and copy text while you're browsing on a webpage. i think narrator should also include this featuree so that it becomes a fully featured screen reader.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. allow screen reader audio to be passed through skype for business

We have a use case where we have geographically dispersed teams working on websites with developers in one site and accessibility staff in another.
    We currently use skype for business for screen sharing has largely been successful however the accessibility team is wondering if SfB can pass through screen reader audio to the remote end (developers) in order for the developers to experience what the accessibility team does when using a screen reader – explaining the behavior of the screen readers would be much easier if the screen readers audio is passed through.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Narrator

Have narrator worK with the surface pen currently it does not work despite all the updates and five surface pro releases and one laptop.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Ability to export Narrator customized settings and keyboard commands

Narrator is supported in more than 20 languages, however there are many others where Narrator is not supported. It means, that some keyboard commands should be changed manualy if we wanted Narrator to work. examples are Narrator key +brackets. In Slovenian keyboard layout we must press ctrl + alt +f/g or alt(gr) +f/g to type square brackets.
    If you have only one computer, it will be easy to customise a Narrator but if you had more than five, this procedure would become very frustrated.
    so until Narrator has not been supported and localised to Slovenian and other languages, I suggest…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us about this suggestion. We will forward this to our product manager as we are making efforts to incorporate functionality with more and more languages.

Again, thank you for contacting us, and in the future, if we can be of further assistance, please feel free to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team.

12. Visual-Perceptual Deficit Templates for Word

I am an Occupational Therapist that works with many students with visual-perceptual problems but have "normal" visual acuity. These students need templates that keep their eyes from skipping over text and allow them to easily follow text as they type. There are a few basic designs that will assist students with this issue.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Highlighting text with narrator

Create a touchscreen gesture to highlight text to copy or cut as the current gesture for sighted users in Windows 10 does not work.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. I am blind and am the only person who uses the pc. Why can't we have an option to always start narrator when the recovery environment loads

There are no audible alerts to tell you when the recovery environment has loaded and got to the point where you can start narrator and as the default button that is selected is the one that reboots to windows it is easy when pressing the narrator hotkey to accidentally reboot back to windows as I am the only person who uses the pc why can't we have an option in ease of access to start narrator automatically when the recovery image is run.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

THiank you for contacting us about this issue. We’ll forward this to the product manager to see if there is a work around for this problem and if not, if there is a remediation in the works for it. We’ll also keep you aprised of the progress regarding this.

Thank you again for contacting us, and if there is anything else that we can do, please feel free to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability ANswer Desk team.

15. Windows 10 advanced startup options completely unusable if you use screen reader. This means you cannot boot in to the new accessible winre

There could be times when you want to boot in to winre even when windows starts normally. Maybe you have virus or something you can't uninstall. You have a clean backup of your system and to restore it you need to get in to winre. It seems there is no way of doing this if you use a screen reader because you have to go through the advanced startup options screen and it is totally unusable to people who use screen readers. Can we have some method of rebooting to winre that is accessible with a screen reader.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

Thanks for contating us about your issue. Can you give us more information with regards to the scren reader you are using, including screen reader version and what specifically you are trying to do when rebooting the ystem.

Thanks for contacting us and letting us help you with your situation.

Sicnerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team.

16. Microsoft snipping tool. This is the perfect tool, but has one thing missing that everyone I talk to agrees with and that is a text box func

Microsoft snipping tool. This is the perfect tool, but has one thing missing that everyone I talk to agrees with and that is a text box function. I work in a engineering design office and having this extra function would be greatly beneficial. So it would be very appreciated if this could be added to the next version.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Narrator is too verbose in lists in edge

Narrator is too verbose in lists. The best way to see this is to go to the Microsoft accessibility user voice main page and look through the list of hot ideas. Insure you are in scan mode. Narrator will say "List start list item x of C". It does this repeatedly as I arrow through the list. This is especially annoying if there is more text associated with the list item. What I would prefer to have spoken is "List start" to indicate I'm entering a list, and just the list item with the word bullet if it's a bulleted…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Mike,

Thank you for contacting us about these issues. We are aware that Narrator and some of the other screen readers are having problems working with Edge. Our product teams are working hard to resolve these problems.

We will forward this on to the product team and update you when this issue is fixed.

Again, thank you for contacting us; and if there is anything else we can assist you with, feel free to reach out.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability answer Desk team.

18. Narrator says "Command unavailable when trying to silence the reading of tooltips behind links

When Navigating between pages in edge, Narrator will read tooltips behind links such as the url of the link. I press control to silence this and Narrator will say "Command unavailable.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Mike,

Thank you for contacting us about these issues. We are aware that Narrator and some of the other screen readers are having problems working with Edge. Our product teams are working hard to resolve these problems.

We will forward this on to the product team and update you when this issue is fixed.

Again, thank you for contacting us; and if there is anything else we can assist you with, feel free to reach out.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability answer Desk team.

19. Narrator won't let me review form fields in edge

When typing into the edit boxes on this page or any other pages, I can't navigate character by character with Narrator or move by any other element. It also doesn't announce what I'm backspacing over.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Narrator

have bitlocker make a couple of beeps or something similar so blind users know when to enter the password to move on to the user logon screen.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base