Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Welcome to Microsoft’s Accessibility Feedback forum. We are very interested in learning more about what products, features, and tools will delight our customers. Please share your ideas with us and remember to vote for ideas posted by others that you also think are great.

If you accidentally came here in need of technical support, please reach out to our Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Narrator

Create a keyboard command in narrator to turn on and off the screen.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. The button option in the creators update for narrator is missing from the on-screen gestures list.

Can you please fix the new button option for narrator and the creators build. It is currently missing from the Touch screen gestures list in narrator.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Have narrator Say end of list when rotating through the taskbar.

Have narrator Say end of list when rotating through the taskbar.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Have narrator announce end of document or end of email instead of just saying down arrow all the time.

Have narrator announce end of document or end of list Instead of just down arrow or right arrow all the time. Have narrator

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

This indeed is a bug and shoudl announce the end of adocument and or email. We’ll forward this on our product team and update you when a fix is announced.

Thank you for contacting us, and if there is anything further we can assist you with, please feel free to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability answer Desk team.

6. Make footnotes easier to navigate when using Voiceover with Word

When reading text, double clicking on a footnote reference (using VO Shift Space twice) moves the insertion point to the relevant footnote, but it doesn’t move the Voiceover cursor, and the footnote is not spoken. And, double clicking on the reference in the footnote itself does not return the Voiceover cursor to the text, as it should.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Mark,

Thank you for contacting us at the Disability Answer Desk with your suggestions. we apreciate the time and detail you’ve put into them. We will forward this on to our product managers for further consideration and will get back to you when a fix and or implimentation for these features is in place.

Thank you again for contacting us, and if there is anything further we can do for you,please feel free o reach out to us again.

Sincerely,

7. Make more use of the Rotor to improve navigation in Word files

It would be useful if the Rotor (VO-u) provided access to items such as headings and bookmarks -- the way it now does in Apple's Pages. This would make document navigation much easier.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Mark,

Thank you for contacting us at the Disability Answer Desk with your suggestions. we apreciate the time and detail you’ve put into them. We will forward this on to our product managers for further consideration and will get back to you when a fix and or implimentation for these features is in place.

Thank you again for contacting us, and if there is anything further we can do for you,please feel free o reach out to us again.

Sincerely,

8. Give users the ability to create their own Narrator voices.

I don't know what all goes into voices for Narrator, but it would be pretty neat if users could somehow create their own if that's even possible. This would be a perfect feature for the focus on creating in this latest Windows update.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Stefen,

You may be corect. based on what is known about the application and how it works, this may indeed be impossible to impliment. However, I will follow up with the product manager and let you know what that anwer is.

Thank you for reaching out to us about this.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team.

9. bring back text/icon resizing

this screen, formerly located at: "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display" in the legacy Control Panel has been removed, and is also not represented in the Settings app menus (in the new Build 15019.rs_prerelease.170121-1513)

Image: https://www.windowscentral.com/sites/wpcentral.com/files/styles/largerwmbrw/public/field/image/2015/08/windows-10-display-settings-scn-3.png?itok=P_IMrNWw

I NEED these options back. I am registered blind and always use Windows like this (larger text, turned bold for all elements - titlebars, message boxes, icons etc):

Image: http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img924/9568/SSXyGo.jpg

If this isn't fixed, I will be stuck on the old version of Win10 by disabling updates, which will eventually not be supported, meaning I will then be forced back onto Win8. Please…

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello Karl,

Thank you for alerting us with this issue. You’re correct inthat without the resizing or font change option, it can make it difficult to see the desktop icons. Therefor, I’ll forward this on to our product managers to get this issue raised and possibly resolved.

Again, thank you for reaching out to us about this.

Sincerely,

10. Add Windows Explorer to the dark mode apps.

I would like to use the aero themes but have the Explorer work inverted (white on black or dark gray.) I am visually imperiled and the white background hurts my eyes to look at.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Grant,

This is a very good suggestion as File Explorer is a core part of Windows. We will forward this on to our product manager to get this implimented and let you know when this is available.

Again, tahnk you for contacting us, and if we can be of further assistance, please feel free to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

11. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us about this issue. ALthough we handle isssues, questions, and comments with regards to disabled people using our products, we will find the development team to fix this.

With that said, can you please give us the details as to how you navigated to this borken link? What page or pages were you coming from?

Thanks again,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk Team.

12. Make the Go To command work better with Voiceover

This works with some options (for example, going to a bookmark in a Word file), but not others. For example, if I am on page one of a Word file, and ask to Go To page 2, then close the dialogue by pressing Escape, the insertion point remains on page one.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Mark,

Sincerely,

13. give example of programs where are multi read it soulutions fails to improve under performance ?

give example of programs where are multi read it soulutions fails to improve under performance ?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

We would be more than happy to assist you. However, we need more specifics as far as what operatiing system you are using, application, and accessibility tool, as well as the scenario that the proble is occurring. With that information, we can better assist you.

Thank you,

14. Text selection commands don't work in Scan Mode

I have posted this to the Windows Insider Feedback Hub, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to post this here as well. When reading text in Scan Mode, it is impossible to use standard Windows text selection commands to select text. This would be very useful in all sorts of places. For example, I could select and copy the text from an error message or text from a website.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. In the Word 2016 spell checker, could we please use the new hotkeys, such as Spacebar with C or Spacebar with I while focussed in the list o

It would be great to be able to use the new hotkeys such as SpaceBar with C or Spacebar with I while still focussed in the list of suggestions. Having to tab away from the list to use these hotkeys is a real productivity killer, because, often the correct suggestion is third or fourth in the list, so we need to be able to use those hotkeys while focussed in the list of suggestions. Thanks.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us abou your issue. In order to hehttps://microsoftaccessibility.uservoice.com/admin/forums/307429-microsoft-accessibility-feedback/suggestions/18954073-in-the-word-2016-spell-checker-could-we-please-us you, can you give us more detail as to your issue; specifically, what is the screen reader you are using?

Thank you aggian for getting in touch with us, and if there’s anything else we can do ro you, please feel free to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

16. Add a greater range of dwell times for the onscreen keyboard to increase speed

I type with a combination of a trackball and onscreen keyboard. However, I have to use a third party keyboard (which could go away at any time) because the dwell time on the Windows keyboard is excruciatingly slow even on the fastest (.5 s) setting. On the third party keyboard I can type almost instantly with a dwell time of 200 or 300 ms. Why not refine the range of dwell times?

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Amy,

Thank you for contacting us at the Disability Answer Desk. This is a very interesting issue. However to help you further, we need further information regaring the third party software yo are using, on what oporating system, and application or applications you may be using as well.

Than you for reaching out to us, and we’ll do whatever possible to resolve your situation.

Sincerely,

17. Put the font size & font color control back into Outlook!

Not everyone has 20-20 vision. Some people need to make the letters bigger in email. Light grey color on white back ground is a nightmare! Also, if you want to make a big improvement.... give us the option to change this awful WHITE back ground into a softer color, so it isn't so ******* the eyes. This is just awful.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the Disability Answer Desk. This is something that we are currently working on and investigating solutions to improve contrast themes in our software. Our Project Managers are aware of this and we will get back to you as soon as there are more details available.

Again, thank you for reaching out to us. And if in the future, you have further issues, questions, or comments, please let us know.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk Team.

18. Add a command or toggle to disable Narrator speech and sounds.

There needs to be a way to disable Narrator speech and/or sounds. This is especially true now that we have braille support. Currently, I have to mute the entire system to have a silent braille experience.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Add how-to's on your PowerPoint support pages for math and animation accessibility

At work we're picking up bits and pieces all over the web about the best way to make PowerPoints accessible-- specifically for math, tables and animations. We're currently getting some info from MathType/Design Science but this could be on the support pages. We're finding that
    - MathML is good BUT
    - there's an option to add alt text, some users are requesting it, others are saying it shouldn't be added to the Math OLE (turns out it seems to depend on screen reader)
    - Animations where a user action adds more bits of math to a single slide-- can't consistently…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello Mallory,

This is a very good idea, and thank you so much for breaking down the details of what you’re looking for in reference to this issue. That helps us a great deal in investigating how we can make that feature more accessible.

We’ll do some more research to see how these solutions can be implemented and will get back to you with follow-up details as they become available.

Again, thank you for reaching out to us; and if in the future we can be of further assistance, please let us know.

Sincerely,

20. Please provide tips on using Pivot tables in Excel with screen readers. Pivot tables are one of the most powerful features in Excel.

Pivot tables provide a superb feature set for analyzing data without having to develop complex formulae involving many ranges of data. I use a screen reader and am just starting to learn about them and am finding them wonderful, fascinating, and extremely useful. Sadly, screen reader vendors provide no information on pivot table use, and I believe that their lack of use by blind individuals stems from the fact that blind people don't learn about them, so they are never used. I think Microsoft has a wonderful opportunity here to expose information about one of the unsung heroes of Excel,…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us about this issue. Another unother user has approached us about this very same situation, and we are having our engineering teams look into this.

Thank you for contacting us, and if there is anything else that we can be assistance with in the future, don’t hesitate to let us know.

Sincerely,

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base