Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Welcome to Microsoft’s Accessibility Feedback forum. We are very interested in learning more about what products, features, and tools will delight our customers. Please share your ideas with us and remember to vote for ideas posted by others that you also think are great.

If you accidentally came here in need of technical support, please reach out to our Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team

I suggest you ...

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Can you PLEASE make it possible to adjust ALL fonts EVERYWHERE in the system? As well as adjust scroll bars. TY

I am a user with visual impairments, while as an academic I rely highly on text. The option that Windows picked now is to allow me to use my old High Contrast settings in terms of colours (through a previously saved theme from Windows 7), but not have the adjusted fonts (scroll bars, taskbar icons etc) all over the system. This does not make sense and is profoundly ableist. This has been a complain for YEARS in the community in terms of inaccessibility, and it is something that should be fairly easily solvable.

It shouldnt be necessary to use the…

5 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • i need opera mini browser

I need opera mini browser to download

2 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Excel background colors for reduced eye strain and fatigue

Often Excel users stare at the screen just as much as programmers. Enable background other than white in the spreadsheet area of Excel in order to reduce eye strain. The background could be gray-ish or even something like Visual Studio high contrast mode.

6 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Make Office help accessible to screen readers

In previous versions of Office, screen readers could access the Office help system. Unfortunately, Office 2016 broke this ability. We need access to the help system returned to an accessible state.

7 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Allow the surface pro cover to be used flat over the touch screen of the computer to look more like a tablet with a keyboard.

I have a Surface Pro 4 and would love it if I could use the cover flat against the touch screen. I am blind and do not need the screen 95% of the time. This would do several things:
            1. It would reduce the size considerably and make the device much more compact
            2. It would allow me to use the surface on the move without needing to do anything more than press the unlock button and move the pro onto my lap from my hip. (I would have it in a carrying case that has the front open so…

3 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Improve accessibility of the visualstudio.com website

The www.visualstudio.com website is poorly designed for screen reader users. At best it is confusing, cluttered, and focuses on too many tasks at the same time. In fact, some functionality is unavailable to a screen reader user such as allowing external access to a project.

6 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Inconsistent behavior of "j" ribbon shortcut keys in Word

When you are in the header or footer area of Word 2016, there is an extra ribbon available for header and footer design. The shortcut key for this is listed as "JH", but it works differently depending on the context:

- If you press alt+j together and there is no table or image in your header, it jumps straight into the ribbon, in which case "h" then activates the "header" drop down on the ribbon.
                - If you press alt+j together and DO have a table or image in your header, you then need to press "h" as tables and…

5 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• 4 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello George,

In response to your inquiry, we would like to know what you are using that could use greater language support. If you are using eh Ease of Access Tools in Windows 10 or any of the other accessibility tools, you’ll find that we do localize our products to support many languages.

We look forward to your additional feedback.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Des team

• Improve screen reader access to OneNote 2016

The improvements made to OneNote 2016 lately have been very impressive and helpful. However, accessing tables on a OneNote page is still flukey at best. Keep up the nice work.

5 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Make users more informed about File Explorer's Quick Access Toolbar

The fact that almost any File Explorer Ribbon toolbar button, or group of buttons, be right-clicked and added to Quick Access Toolbar is poorly communicated.

I discovered this by accident a month ago, and the Ribbon has been around since Win8.0. Previously I thought the Q-A-T was limited to only the few button choices which appear under it's drop-down-menu at the end of the toolbar.

Tired of constantly changing to the different 'ribbon tabs' (Home, View) for different features, my Quick Access Toolbar currently looks like this:

http://imageshack.com/a/img923/3060/OsOzTW.png

5 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Improve names of options in Word (eg themes, page number options etc)

In Word 2016, many features have non-descriptive options. For insance, when you choose page numbers then top or bottom of screen, the first few options are "Plain number 1", "Plain number 2", "Plain number 3" etc. Without looking at the image (which not all users can do), there is no way to tell that the third one is actually right aligned. Using a screen reader there is also no way to tell which ones are "Page X", and which are "Page X of Y" etc. It's also very hard to get any idea what the different header and footer styles…

4 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Make Office Ribbon keystrokes more logical and consistent

I appreciate some office keystrokes have been changed to keep backwards compatibility (eg alt+i was the Office 2003 insert menu so it was changed to alt+n for Office 2007), but many of the current keystrokes are just nonsensical. For instance, in Word, to change columns, you press alt+p for layout (even though alt+L isn't used) then press J for columns, even though C isn't used.

On the Insert menu, you press F to insert an Online picture and O to insert a footnote - even though they would make much more sense swapped.

There is also no logic as to…

4 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow "focus follows cursor" setting for the full screen magnifier

The other option is that the magnification field moves continuously with the pointer. This is a great option because it allows me to zoom in on user interface controls, text fields, etc with ease, without having to move the pointer to a screen edge.

7 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

Thanks for contacting us at the Disability Answer Desk.

In answer to your comment, we would like to know what version of Windows you are using. Are you using Windows 10, with the Ease of Access Tools, or are you using another version of Windows with the screen magnifier?

In the meantime, I’ll forward your suggestion on to our product teams, as this would make a great deal of sense for someone who is both visually impaired, but also has motor skill related disabilities.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team.

• Visual Studio 2015 modeling projects should be accessible for screen reader users

IT professionals live in a highly visual workplace. Therefore, modeling projects and UML have a high priority in the workplace. It isn't enough for screen reader users to have an alternative method for creating UML diagrams or modeling projects that take 5 times longer than their sighted peers. Instead, we need to work at the same speed and level as our sighted peers. Making visual designers and projects accessible for us would improve our chances at getting a job. The following components in Visual Studio need this type of work: modeling projects, architecture designer, the asp.net webforms designer, the WPF…

5 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Bring back screen reader access to tags in OneNote 2016

Tags in OneNote 2016 are small icons that help someone identify different types of information in their notebooks. Some examples are important, questions, to-do items, definitions, contacts etc. Back in OneNote 2010, these tags were accessible for screen readers. Unfortunately, they are completely invisible to screen readers in OneNote 2016. Please bring them back!

5 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow VoiceOver on a MAC to access alignment information in the office apps

When pressing VO+T in office apps on a MAC to obtain font and formatting information, the alignment information is missing. This should be included to mirror other screen readers in Windows.

3 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Change initial keyboard focus on page load in IE11

When loading any web page that does not have explicit initial focus, IE 11 starts the keyboard focus out of the webpage. This means that when a user presses TAB key for the first time, the focus goes to the address bar instead of the first item on the webpage. This means that a user not using a mouse (keyboard only) must tab through the address bar, top tab, Home button, and any toolbars before getting to the page content. Many users with disabilities cannot use a mouse for various reasons. Thus a keyboard-only user must TAB through Five or…

20 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello Joseph,

Thanks for the detailed report along with the steps to reproduce the problem.

However, I have navigated to http://www.microsoft.com and cannot reproduce the issue you are reporting.

When I land on that page, then press tab for the first time, I am taken to the Skip to main content link and not to the address bar.

I am running Windows 10 Version 1607 OS Build 14393.321. I also use the JAWS screen reader.

• Add MathML support to Edge roadmap https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2016/02/03/2016-platform-priorities/

Educational companies and open-source learning organisations currently relying on MathJax and MathPlayer to get around lack of support for the MathML standard. Especially digital education in parts of the world where we really need to keep excessive bandwidth use and scripting demands low due to common devices and poor network connections, having Edge support MathML natively would just be awesome.

16 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Make it possible to generate a PDF/UA conforming PDF document from Office

New regulations from the US Access Board will likely require PDF/UA conformance for PDF documents.

Microsoft can extend its existing investment in generating tagged PDF, and lead the marketplace in accessible document creation, by providing functionality to general PDF/UA conforming documents directly from MS Office applications.

14 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Duff,

Thanks for the clarification.

I have done some further investigating and the product group is aware of this additional work. They looking in to it; however, I don’t have any time table to share.

Hello,

The current Channel for Office 365 (click to run version) now has this functionality.

You can simply export to a PDF from the file menu or choose Save As and then select the PDF file type. The option to tag for Accessibility is checked by default.

I might not understand what you are asking for. There is no specific option to turn on/off PDF/UA when exporting to PDF format; if the tag for accessibility option is checked (which it is by default), you should get PDF/UA conforming documents.

If this is not the case, please share with me how we can determine the exported PDF documentis not conforming to the PDF

• Create wizzards to customize Ease of Access features

Speech recognition has been included in Windows for the last vew versions. The wizard that is used to customize speech recognition is both a tutorial and a trainer for Windows.
                                          The "Make my computer easier easier to use" wizard collects disability data, but does not provide any way to specify how to make a specific feature "easier to use".
                                          Fro example, the keyboard can be customized using a wizard which asks the user to type successively more complicated series of keystrokes. Start with something like, "Type the following sentence" My dog has fleas." If the person has difficulty capitalizing the…

9 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Feedback and Knowledge Base