Microsoft Accessibility Feedback

Welcome to Microsoft’s Accessibility Feedback forum. We are very interested in learning more about what products, features, and tools will delight our customers. Please share your ideas with us and remember to vote for ideas posted by others that you also think are great.

If you accidentally came here in need of technical support, please reach out to our Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team

I suggest you ...

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. I am blind and am the only person who uses the pc. Why can't we have an option to always start narrator when the recovery environment loads

There are no audible alerts to tell you when the recovery environment has loaded and got to the point where you can start narrator and as the default button that is selected is the one that reboots to windows it is easy when pressing the narrator hotkey to accidentally reboot back to windows as I am the only person who uses the pc why can't we have an option in ease of access to start narrator automatically when the recovery image is run.

9 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello,

THiank you for contacting us about this issue. We’ll forward this to the product manager to see if there is a work around for this problem and if not, if there is a remediation in the works for it. We’ll also keep you aprised of the progress regarding this.

Thank you again for contacting us, and if there is anything else that we can do, please feel free to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability ANswer Desk team.

• Narrator is too verbose in lists in edge

Narrator is too verbose in lists. The best way to see this is to go to the Microsoft accessibility user voice main page and look through the list of hot ideas. Insure you are in scan mode. Narrator will say "List start list item x of C". It does this repeatedly as I arrow through the list. This is especially annoying if there is more text associated with the list item. What I would prefer to have spoken is "List start" to indicate I'm entering a list, and just the list item with the word bullet if it's a bulleted…

6 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Mike,

Thank you for contacting us about these issues. We are aware that Narrator and some of the other screen readers are having problems working with Edge. Our product teams are working hard to resolve these problems.

We will forward this on to the product team and update you when this issue is fixed.

Again, thank you for contacting us; and if there is anything else we can assist you with, feel free to reach out.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability answer Desk team.

• Narrator won't let me review form fields in edge

When typing into the edit boxes on this page or any other pages, I can't navigate character by character with Narrator or move by any other element. It also doesn't announce what I'm backspacing over.

6 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Mike,

Thank you for contacting us about these issues. We are aware that Narrator and some of the other screen readers are having problems working with Edge. Our product teams are working hard to resolve these problems.

We will forward this on to the product team and update you when this issue is fixed.

Again, thank you for contacting us; and if there is anything else we can assist you with, feel free to reach out.

Sincerely,

• Narrator says "Command unavailable when trying to silence the reading of tooltips behind links

When Navigating between pages in edge, Narrator will read tooltips behind links such as the url of the link. I press control to silence this and Narrator will say "Command unavailable.

6 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Mike,

Sincerely,

• Narrator

have bitlocker make a couple of beeps or something similar so blind users know when to enter the password to move on to the user logon screen.

3 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Narrator

Create a keyboard command in narrator to turn on and off the screen.

3 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Improve the way Word files open with Voiceover

When I open an existing Word file, the Voiceover cursor is on the document layout area. To get to the text, I need to interact, then interact again, before Voiceover says “in edit text”.

And if the document has headers, I need to interact, which takes me to the header area, then move down to the text, then interact again.

Would it be possible, when opening a file, to start with the Voiceover cursor on the text area? This is probably where most users want to be when they open a file – ready to start reading or typing.

I…

4 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Mark,

Thank you for contacting us at the Disability Answer Desk with your suggestions. we appreciate the time and detail you’ve put into them. We will forward this on to our product managers for further consideration and will get back to you when a fix and or implementation for these features is in place.

Thank you again for contacting us, and if there is anything further we can do for you, please feel free o reach out to us again.

Sincerely,

• The button option in the creators update for narrator is missing from the on-screen gestures list.

Can you please fix the new button option for narrator and the creators build. It is currently missing from the Touch screen gestures list in narrator.

5 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Using Word for Mac with the Voiceover screen reader, the spell check needs several improvements

When using Word for Mac with the Voiceover screen reader, I encounter three problems:

1) If I move the Voiceover focus to the panel that contains the mis-spelt word, and interact with the text, I can delete and/or re-type the mis-spelt word. However, Voiceover goes silent when I do so, making it very hard to know if I have properly corrected the word.

2) When using the Tab key to move through the dialogue, Voiceover frequently fails to announce the “Ignore” button.

3) When I click on one of the buttons – such as “Ignore” – the spell check moves…

3 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello Mark,

Thank you for contacting us at the Disability Answer Desk with your suggestions. we apreciate the time and detail you’ve put into them. We will forward this on to our product managers for further consideration and will get back to you when a fix and or implimentation for these features is in place.

Thank you again for contacting us, and if there is anything further we can do for you,please feel free o reach out to us again.

Sincerely,

• Have narrator Say end of list when rotating through the taskbar.

Have narrator Say end of list when rotating through the taskbar.

3 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• 6 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Have narrator announce end of document or end of email instead of just saying down arrow all the time.

Have narrator announce end of document or end of list Instead of just down arrow or right arrow all the time. Have narrator

5 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

This indeed is a bug and shoudl announce the end of adocument and or email. We’ll forward this on our product team and update you when a fix is announced.

Thank you for contacting us, and if there is anything further we can assist you with, please feel free to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

• Fix File Explorer not remembering it's position when closed and then reopened.

Problem Description:

File Explorer does not remember it's position, when it is closed and re-opened. Instead, it cascades to the right (as if it is a second instance of FE, when it is not.)

This behaviour should only happen if multiple instances of file explorer are open, assuming it is related to the 'cascading windows' setting. This needs fixing as soon as possible. It is a rediculous "feature" the helps nobody and infuriates many.

This only affects Win10 (Win8 and before always closed and reopened file explorer in the correct position). This problem can be reproduced every time Win10 is…

21 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Make footnotes easier to navigate when using Voiceover with Word

When reading text, double clicking on a footnote reference (using VO Shift Space twice) moves the insertion point to the relevant footnote, but it doesn’t move the Voiceover cursor, and the footnote is not spoken. And, double clicking on the reference in the footnote itself does not return the Voiceover cursor to the text, as it should.

3 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Mark,

Thank you for contacting us at the Disability Answer Desk with your suggestions. we apreciate the time and detail you’ve put into them. We will forward this on to our product managers for further consideration and will get back to you when a fix and or implimentation for these features is in place.

Thank you again for contacting us, and if there is anything further we can do for you,please feel free o reach out to us again.

Sincerely,

• Make more use of the Rotor to improve navigation in Word files

It would be useful if the Rotor (VO-u) provided access to items such as headings and bookmarks -- the way it now does in Apple's Pages. This would make document navigation much easier.

3 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Mark,

Sincerely,

• Give users the ability to create their own Narrator voices.

I don't know what all goes into voices for Narrator, but it would be pretty neat if users could somehow create their own if that's even possible. This would be a perfect feature for the focus on creating in this latest Windows update.

5 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Stefen,

You may be corect. based on what is known about the application and how it works, this may indeed be impossible to impliment. However, I will follow up with the product manager and let you know what that anwer is.

Thank you for reaching out to us about this.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team.

• create themes in word and PowerPoint that meet the accessibility guidelines for font size and color contrast.

Create Accessible themes, templates in MS word and PowerPoint. And then call the theme Accessible or Low Vision or something that lets people easily find it.

6 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Patricia,

Thank you for reaching out to us about your concern. Be advised that other customers have contacted us about issues related to this situation. Our engineering teams are actively looking into this and changes are in the works.

Having said that, we are always interested in how we can improve out products’ accessibility. Therefore if you have specifics on what you think needs improvement, such as the product being used, scenario in which the problem occurrs, or suggestion on improvements to the specific user interface elements, or specific features, please let us know.

Again, thank you for reaching out to us as we are here to assist in any way possible with accessibility needs.

Sincerely,

• bring back text/icon resizing

this screen, formerly located at: "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display" in the legacy Control Panel has been removed, and is also not represented in the Settings app menus (in the new Build 15019.rs_prerelease.170121-1513)

Image: https://www.windowscentral.com/sites/wpcentral.com/files/styles/larger_wm_brw/public/field/image/2015/08/windows-10-display-settings-scn-3.png?itok=P_IMrNWw

I NEED these options back. I am registered blind and always use Windows like this (larger text, turned bold for all elements - titlebars, message boxes, icons etc):

Image: http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img924/9568/SSXyGo.jpg

If this isn't fixed, I will be stuck on the old version of Win10 by disabling updates, which will eventually not be supported, meaning I will then be forced back onto Win8. Please stop changing,…

18 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello Karl,

Thank you for alerting us with this issue. You’re correct inthat without the resizing or font change option, it can make it difficult to see the desktop icons. Therefor, I’ll forward this on to our product managers to get this issue raised and possibly resolved.

Again, thank you for reaching out to us about this.

Sincerely,

• Add Windows Explorer to the dark mode apps.

I would like to use the aero themes but have the Explorer work inverted (white on black or dark gray.) I am visually imperiled and the white background hurts my eyes to look at.

3 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Grant,

This is a very good suggestion as File Explorer is a core part of Windows. We will forward this on to our product manager to get this implimented and let you know when this is available.

Again, tahnk you for contacting us, and if we can be of further assistance, please feel free to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk team.

• 3 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us about this issue. ALthough we handle isssues, questions, and comments with regards to disabled people using our products, we will find the development team to fix this.

With that said, can you please give us the details as to how you navigated to this borken link? What page or pages were you coming from?

Thanks again,

The Microsoft Disability Answer Desk Team.

1 2 6 8 10 13 14
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base